It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rove refuses subpoena, leaves country

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Rove refuses subpoena, leaves country

rawstory.com

Former White House adviser Karl Rove has ignored a subpoena from congressional Democrats to testify about allegations of political pressure at the Justice Department and his alleged role in the prosecution of a former governor of Alabama.

A House subcommittee voted 7-1 Thursday to reject Rove's claim that executive privilege freed him from an obligation to testify, leaving open the possibility the Republican political guru will be held in contempt.

During the hearing, Rep. Chris Cannon (R-UT) revealed that Rove was out of the country. According to the liberal blog ThinkProgress, Rove's lawyer's confirmed that Rove was out of the country on a trip scheduled long before the subpoena was sent.

Karl Rove failed to appear before the House Judiciary subcommittee. His lawyer revealed that he was out of the country.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-7-2008 by Crakeur]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This man is PURE evil and he knows hes screwed. Maybe he isnt above the law anymore and he is running scared! Wouldn't that be great if they tracked him down like a dog and aid for his evil doings?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-7-2008 by Crakeur]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
please read the article you cite :

Rove's lawyer's confirmed that Rove was out of the country on a trip scheduled long before the subpoena was sent.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Roves lawyer is doing his job and covering his a**. Thats what he pays him to do. The fact is that Rove was subpoenaed an he left the country. Whether it was scheduled or not doesn't matter.

What do you think his lawyer is going to say, "Oh yeah well Mr. Rove is really nervous about getting in trouble for all this so he is just leaving the county for a little while an contemplating getting some reconstructive surgery and spending the rest of his days sipping margaritas on the shores of cancun.

I cant believe this isn't pissing more people off.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Another article about Rove fleeing

I think its pretty funny they set up a chair an poured water for him.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
please read the article you cite :

Rove's lawyer's confirmed that Rove was out of the country on a trip scheduled long before the subpoena was sent.

I am just curious if YOU would be allowed to use that excuse? If you got a subpoena for court after you had booked a 2 weeker in the Dominican, would you be allowed to say screw it and go on vacation anyway? Nope you would be chucked in the clink as soon as your plane touched American soil.

**Finish coffee and wake up before posting**
[edit on 11-7-2008 by Rook1545]

[edit on 11-7-2008 by Rook1545]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
I am just curious if YOU would be allowed to use that excuse? If you got a subpoena for court after you had booked a 2 weeker in the Dominican, would you be allowed to say screw it and go on vacation anyway?

I totally agree. It's amazing that people in high offices make such mockery of our laws and principles. If Rove ever goes to jail, we all will have something to celebrate.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I say we waterboard him..
Its not torture, and its good enough to extract information for...

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
We will never see Rove again.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

And if that fails, we can call on the people from Abhu Ghraib.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Anyone see anything about this on the news ?

Or is this another story that th MSM will bury

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight
Anyone see anything about this on the news ?

Or is this another story that th MSM will bury

They had it on CNN yesterday. Here is the article.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
And here it is on BBC;
Rove skips inquiry

So Rove becomes a roving rover... I wonder where his wanderings have taken him.

They think it's all (r)over.... it is now.. well, for him it is anyway.

Has a bounty been set? I need a job.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I didn't see anything about him leaving the country in that article. He's in contempt and he leave the country...if anyone who wasn't part of the Bush administration did this, they would be hunted down and it would be all over the news.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Even if you are on a trip and you got a summons.You cancel then come to court.Right?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This is to good to be true. The man not only skips town, he skips the entire country!

What ever happened to the ethic of priority? Had this been anyone else, they'd be thrown in the slammer. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Should I do the right thing and testify per the subpoena, or do I claim executive priviledge and party it up in Rio? Screw it! I'm packing my bags! *cha-cha's and exits stage left*

It's high time Rove realizes that he's no longer above the law.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

Although I agree with the statement that this man is evil and has done more to harm this country than any good, I believe that the title of the thread is misleading. Now, leaving on no notice to head to Columbia for an extended stay (say, forever!) would get me to believe he fled the country to avoid this. He had a trip planned and went on it. No fleeing involved.

Now, if he doesn't come back from this trip in a reasonable amount of time I may begin to believe that he indeed ran from the law.

At the least he should be met at the gates by the feds upon his return and taken into custody like anyone else would face if they failed to respond to a court summons.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
What's truly ironic about all this is, the same right-wing filth-talkers on radio and the same neocon talking heads who called for Clinton's impeachment over a BJ, the same ones who lambasted Clinton and his advisors over even the slightest attempt to delay their witch-hunt for just a few minutes, now SUPPORT Rove and others from the Bush Administration pulling this kind of garbage.

Amazing, isn't it? Get oral sex from an intern and they'll hang you in the street. Commit High Treason against the People and Constitution of the United States of America and not only does the corporate media downplay it in a quiet show of support, but you get a free pass on even testifying when the investigations begin. Must be nice to have a Justice Department full of cronies watching your back.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg
reply to post by bringthelight

Although I agree with the statement that this man is evil and has done more to harm this country than any good, I believe that the title of the thread is misleading. Now, leaving on no notice to head to Columbia for an extended stay (say, forever!) would get me to believe he fled the country to avoid this. He had a trip planned and went on it. No fleeing involved.

It doesn't matter what trip he had planned. It's a CONGRESSIONAL FREAKIN' SUBPEONA. You get one, you call your lawyer, you cancel your other plans, and you hope to God they take it easy on you. That's the standard Clinton and his people were held to. Ask Web Hubbell and Susan McDougal.

Now, if he doesn't come back from this trip in a reasonable amount of time I may begin to believe that he indeed ran from the law.

At the least he should be met at the gates by the feds upon his return and taken into custody like anyone else would face if they failed to respond to a court summons.

Assuming he returns. I'll bet he will; he has a sweetheart media deal. The question is, can anyone in the Bush Justice Department be found to actually do their jobs, enforce the law, and arrest him?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

I meant in no way to be misleading in my title.

From dictionary.com
flee verb, fled, flee·ing.
–verb (used without object)
-to run away from (a place, person, etc.).

The way I see it is, even if it was a planned trip, he had a responsibility and he ran away from it. When you get subpoenaed by the supreme court...YOU GO! He uses a vacation as an excuse?

[Guess my title got edited, thought i explained it here pretty well]

[edit on 11-7-2008 by bringthelight]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join