It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoax of Amazon Tribe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Hoax of Amazon Tribe

buzz.yahoo.com

A few months ago, mainstream news outlets (including, ahem, Yahoo!) reported that a photographer had found a lost tribe of warriors near the Brazilian-Peruvian border. Photos of the tribe backed up his claim.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I should have seen this coming.

buzz.yahoo.com

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Secret of the "LOST" tribe that wasn't.

This is a longer better article.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
common sense should tell you right away that even half naked tribesmen aren't stupid enough to think they could take down a chopper with spears .

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I recall correctly the original articles did state that this tribe along with quite a few others have been known about for quite some time, it's just now we actually have a timeframe.

Nothing in this article states that this is a tribe that has been in contact with civilization therefore it still is a "lost" tribe is it not?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I guess that would really depend on the point of view. I really don't consider them to be lost if people have known about them for 100 years.

I think the bigger point is the fact that this was portrayed originally as a new discovery, when infact to a lot of people it was old news. I think it is noble that this man wants to protect this tribe, but at the same time he didnt need to lie to the entire world.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I wouldn't really call it a hoax... Maybe just a little white lie...
Well, it's nothing compared to the Tasaday Hoax. And it was for a "good cause". Not?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
C'mon. I knew about these upper Amazonian groups for years. It never even crossed my mind that it was a "lie." The point was to show people that there are still groups out there who don't know about fruit-of-the-loom and Coke Cola.
They need to be left alone and that means keeping loggers OUT!

The never saw a helicopter up close. Probably have seen planes at high altitudes. That's how they were located. Clearing/settlements observed from the few planes that fly over the area.

Basically, no European types have been out there since the Conquest.
I think the Lost part was in quotes originally, but I maight be wrong...

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I definitely think that the word 'hoax' is a wrong one to use here. I distinctly remember the original articles and it was clear that the tribe were known about and that what the photographer was trying to do was to draw attention to the logging issue threatening this way of life.

Not a hoax at all - it's not as if he flew in actors, did he?

To me, calling this a hoax would be like filming extraterrestrials chilling out with a beer on their homeworld and being told that it is a hoax because we already knew they were there. The images are not faked, therefore it ain't strictly a hoax, is it?

just my view, guys.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I am sorry if I upset people by copying the title of the article word for word. The word hoax was used by yahoo! not JesterMan. Dont kill the messenger.

Lot of hostile people round these parts

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JesterMan

Tribal guardian admits the Amazon Indians' existence was already known, but he hoped the publicity would lift the threat of logging
www.guardian.co.uk...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

You know I am so SICK and TIRED of these ignorant morons doing ANYTHING they can for publicity.I don't care if it was "to show the plight of logging" or not!Lying and perpetrating a hoax-FOR ANY REASON is totally unethical and should be punished to the FULL EXTENT OF THE LAW in my opinion.I mean it is to the point these days where you can't TRUST ANYTHING ANYONE SAYS!I'm sorry if this is a rant,cause it is and I am sick of all this 'CGI',lying,story telling,etc and I'm sure I am NOT ALONE in this.This guy IMO should be fined 50,000$ and be jailed for up to ONE YEAR,as should anyone who knowingly participates in a hoax.In fact I think it should now become a FELONY offense to perpetrate ANY HOAX WHAT SO EVER!It's time for these DAMN GAMES to END,how will we ever as a species uncover the truth about anything and make new discoveries if we allow any pothead,tree hugger,jerk,jackass,[SNIP],etc to 'get off' on lying to other people!If this keeps up then hell,I hope the world does explode on 2012,we deserve it.Everything we do here on ATS or any where else is FOR NOTHING if our credibility keeps getting smashed.I know some people are just to eccentric and narcissistic and think we as a human race are 'supreme' and know all relevant things there is to know,so why not have some fun and make up BS stories proving just how DUMB and IGNORANT we are right?I'll tell you what,lets just STOP searching for new discoveries and become stagnant as a civilization and de-evolve back to the 'Dark Age' okay?Sounds good and **cool** to me dude(lol,what a JOKE).Whatever,sorry for this rant,it's just that human behavior in the 21st century appauls me over the limit.Good post though for bringing YET ANOTHER [HOAX] to light.

[edit on 6/24/2008 by jkrog08]

Mod edit: Watch the language please.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Wow man, powerfull words! I actually agree with you 100%. People like to play games way too much in my opinion. Everyone seems to be in it for their five minutes of fame. They dont care who they piss off or hurt in the process. Why lie about something at all? What satisfaction do people get by making up fantastic tales?

This day and age especially, is a time where we as a species need the truth more than ever. If there is life on mars tell us! If the world really isnt warming tell us! If it is tell us! I too am getting really tired of not knowing what to believe anymore. I dont want to just be spoon-fed little bits of info that someone else decides I need to know. I can handle the truth.

When and where did the human race decide to stop caring about one another? At the begining of human life we depended on one another for survival. It is sad to say but I think that we will only once again learn to care for others when everything around us falls apart. Remeber 9/11? Our entire country was ONE, unified, in the days and weeks that followed. What happened? Why now does it seem impossible for Americans to get along? My how soon we forget.

The human race needs to wake up and do it fast. STOP KILLING ONE ANOTHER! STOP LYING!

REMEMBER THE GOLDEN RULE!!!!!!! DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

If we all practiced that, life would be great. You know now I think evolution is total crap... If it had any truth to it at all we would't be acting like a bunch of monkies!!!!!!!!!!

SORRY FOR THAT RANT.

PEACE, LOVE, and LAUGHTER,

JesterMan

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
If there is a hoax in this case it's from the media.

As I posted on the Chopper Catches Glimpse of Lost World, they knew of the existence of the tribe (and three other tribes in that area), and the supposed "coming clean" of the sertanista is the same text from the original source.

(As a confirmation of their ignorance, they say that the photographer come clean, and they say that the photographer was the sertanista. That is not true, the sertanista went in a high winged aeroplane without door to make it easier to take photos [not a helicopter, as some media stated] with a pilot and a photographer, and all that was on the original article)

What I think happened here was that the media jumped to conclusions (as usual) without talking to the people involved, and now that someone has spread the idea that this is no "lost" tribe they are trying to look innocent because they think that it's best for them to look gullible than to look like the seekers of notoriety that they are.

Even this article from the BBC, dated May 30 2008 says that they were one of the "uncontacted" tribes, they were not unknown.

Unfortunately, the fact that most people that read the articles can not read in the original language (Portuguese) made it easy for the media to spin the information in any way they wanted.

The title of the first article I found is "Índios isolados são fotografados pela 1ª vez no Acre", which can be translated as "Isolated Indians photographed for the first time in Acre". There is no "unknown", no lost, nothing.

I noticed that Guardian article says "he told al-Jazeera", so I went to al-Jazeera's site to look for the source of this "coming clean".

I found it, and it says the same things the original article said, no hoax, no coming clean , nothing unusual.

The article also says

He claims Brazil has 69 references to isolated tribes with little to no contact with the outside world – 22 of which have been confirmed, several by Meirelles himself.
Once more, not unknown but "isolated", tribes with little or no contact, just that, without embellishments or soap-opera twists.

So, the media that tried to turn this in a "unknown tribe discovery" are the ones who should be punished for being unprofessional, lazy or bad-intentioned, not the man that has been working in the Amazon jungle for 37 years and that did not lied to anyone.

PS: I just noticed now that the Guardian article has a link to their original article, and after clicking it we can see that the sertanista never used the words "unknown" or "lost", just "uncontacted".

I hate mainstream media.

And edit because I forgot to add that this is the original article, published on Terra Magazine.

[edit on 24/6/2008 by ArMaP]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
This guy IMO should be fined 50,000$ and be jailed for up to ONE YEAR,as should anyone who knowingly participates in a hoax.In fact I think it should now become a FELONY offense to perpetrate ANY HOAX WHAT SO EVER!It's time for these DAMN GAMES to END,how will we ever as a species uncover the truth about anything and make new discoveries if we allow any pothead,tree hugger,jerk,jackass,[SNIP],etc to 'get off' on lying to other people!

What happened to "innocent until proved guilty"?

And, as far as I know, hoaxes are already illegal if made with intent to profit or to damage in any way other people or other people's property.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesterMan

Lot of hostile people round these parts

I find the antagonism to be flavourful at times, but mostly i just think people are being aggressive for the sake of being aggressive.

Kinda like ignorant morons doing anything they can to gain publicity.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
...Lying and perpetrating a hoax-FOR ANY REASON is totally unethical and should be punished to the FULL EXTENT OF THE LAW in my opinion. ... This guy IMO should be fined 50,000$ and be jailed for up to ONE YEAR,as should anyone who knowingly participates in a hoax.In fact I think it should now become a FELONY offense to perpetrate ANY HOAX WHAT SO EVER! ...

Know what I'm sick and tired of? These "ignorant morons" who don't consider the full impact of what would happen when they want "new laws" created.

You ever played a practical joke on someone? Congratulations, you would be considered a felon under your law. You ever write a story of fiction, but written so as it is "real"? Congratulations, Mr. Felon! Ever tell a joke that is told in first-person? Well, unless everything is ABSOLUTELY TRUE, you've just commited a "hoax", and are, therefore, guilty of a felony. There go almost all of our comics. At least you'll have a good excuse to answer honestly when your wife asks "Do these jeans make my ass look fat?"

When your kids ask "When you were my age, did you ever (insert illegal/unethical/immoral act or practice here)?", guess you won't be able to tell that little white lie, because it would be a hoax.

Are you beginning to see the problem now?

My point isn't to defend lying. My point is that, before you get your panties in a bunch screaming for new laws, you'd better dang well sit down and think of the ramifications of asking for that law.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

buzz.yahoo.com

What you should have seen coming was a MOD changing your thread title.

Please read the T &C 's next time before attempting to be creative with your own title.

It MUST be the title of the article, not your interpretation of the "Gist" of the article.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Reply to Sirchancelot

Oh I am fully aware o the laws of my country,in fact I have a legal issue right now,and have been negatively effected by bs laws.That is getting to my point~We need to stop enforcing or a least prosecuting bullsh*t laws like a lot of the misdemeanors.We need to focus on the serious stuff,and trust me I know how petty states are(especially in the south*Tennessee* for one to be exact) with these 'a,b,and c' misdemeanors and pointless money making felonies.Back on topic-I wasn't saying to put people in jail for a 'practical joke',you either misinterpeted my words or purposefully twisted them.I was saying it should be a felony if an individual knowingly makes an official statement or claim that is not true,for whatever reason.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Actually buddy! it was the caption that yahoo originally put on it.

READ THIS Huffington Post

edit to add link to source

[edit on 6/24/2008 by JesterMan]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

buzz.yahoo.com

What you should have seen coming was a MOD changing your thread title.

Please read the T &C 's next time before attempting to be creative with your own title.

It MUST be the title of the article, not your interpretation of the "Gist" of the article.

Again I point to this smart guy! READ

Clearly I didnt MAKE THAT UP!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join