It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nonstop coverage of Tim Russert while....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Grambler

Sometimes one has to "play the game" in order to do whatever good within one's power. Russert didn't own the network. Important to keep that in mind.

Look at Donahue, he threw away his career calling for "pause" in the run-up to the war. What good did that really do in the long-run?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Just another media black out. Nothing new. Remember when Paris Hilton was on the news for 3 months non stop and CNN considered every little fact about her "breaking news"? Even more hilarious is when I saw a headline onn CNN that said "BREAKING NEWS: Infection found on Anna Nicole Smiths bottom..." The news channel never tells you the news, they simply draw your attention elsewhere while the real news is going on untold.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I want to know who silenced Russert? Does anyone believe he died of a heart attack?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I think he was a great journalist and I find this thread distasteful and disrespectful.
His peers in the industry respected him as much as his viewers I'm sure and there right to honor him by reporting this sad day is completly acceptable. I'm open to debate as much as the next guy, and feel things are as corrupt as any of you, but there is a line, and in my opinion your crossing it big time, and especially this soon after his death. At least give it a week or so and allow time for people who loved this man to mourn him.
Sorry if my post is aggressive in nature or off topic, but common. Grow the hell up. I'll take point loss for this

to the OP...

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
Um... I'm not sure how to tell you this, but I wasn't responding to your thread. Your claim that I twisted your words is nothing but self-projecting based on your lame attempts to claim I was attempting to speak for anybody else. How'd you get to be a moderator?

Really? Then why did you mention "He was NOT like family"??? I was the one who mentioned it in this thread so you had to be responding to me indirectly. Unless you just decided to mention that COMPLETLY out of the blue. But that would be...and I quote

And if people in this day and age feel like somebody they see on television is like a family member, well that's just weird. Guys talking out of boxes in your living room are not anything like family members.

That is how I got to be a Moderator....Pointing out truths that sometimes may be hard to see.....that and my charming demeanor

I didn't tell you or anybody else how you should feel, or how much time you were allotted to mourn a public figure, or how bad you should or shouldn't feel. I told you how I felt. Is that against the T&C or something?

Not at all, which is why I responded with how I felt.

In the end lets agree to disagree these are after all just opinions.

Answering this is like trying to figure out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie roll Tootsie Pop.......the world may never know.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by kleverone]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I thought it was very nice and appropriate to have tributes to one of the last real investigative reporters (who was one of us and not a CFR or Tri-Lateral pawn to the best of my knowledge). Mr. Russert never forgot his roots and the American people. He was asking questions for us, the average American, every Sunday. And boy, did he do his homework.
What I did find alittle odd was the speed of Mr. Russert's autopsy and the appearance of his physican, Dr. Newman, so quickly on MSNBC to explain the autopsy and cause of his very sudden and unexpected death.
From what I understand, his wife and son were still over in Italy or, at best, in transit back to the states. I'm sure it's just me, and of course, the poor man was already at the hospital, which would have made it convenient before he'd be taken to the funeral home.
Since Dr. Newman was treating him and disclosed that he had corony disease, I noticed he said nothing about any medications Mr. Russert was on or not on. He just said that he was trying to watch what he ate and exercising as much as possible. Frankly, the medications he possibly was on is important for people to know. They need to be managed very carefully, otherwise they can even backfire and potentially trigger a stroke and possible heart attack.
With that said, I know a friend of my father's keeled over right in front of him and was dead by the time he hit the floor. So it can and does happen.
My sympathy and condolences to the family, friends and professional associates of Mr. Russert who are obviously heart-sick over his passing.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
I don't think you fully grasp the level of respect this man had among his peers. Jesse Jackson said it best....."Losing Tim was like the Sun eclisping at high noon, you just don't expect it and it leaves you disoriented.

Remember.....People have been watching Russert for years. It would almost be like losing a family member without warning. This was relatively unexpected so this type of reaction is expected.

It is typical of a modern society to embark on hero worship of a talking head. Thats what he was a news personality. Have you ever watched meet the press it is heavy mainstream false left right paradigm propoganda. Sure he reads quotes that anyone can google and print up but he never exposed anything of importance and was essentially a shill. For those that say he didn't own the network that is true but he did all the hiring practically for the news division so every idiot on that network and covering washington was hired by him.

I think this serves as a message to all the media that tow party lines that no matter how hard you work for the power brokers you are just another dude and that no matter how good your doctors are sometimes even they can't catch even the most basic of ailments that being blocked arteries or high blood pressure.

For all the news media that lies constantly and guards the real truths come clean because life is short sometimes and its best to go with a clean conscious rather than a legacy of deception.

That being said understand MSM covering his death at nauseam because that's what they do. I listen to talk radio like Alex Jones, Mike Rivero, stuff like that so MSM can take a hike. And for MSM news i read Reuters or daily mail. TV news is practically obsolete or funny if you want to watch reporters standing in flood water or talking about Obombya or Mcnasty.

BTW Ireland crushed the Lisbon treaty!!! thats real news
eat that NWO.

[edit on 14-6-2008 by Beefcake]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Yes, Tim Russert was a public figure, and his unexpected death is certainly news. Big news, especially around Washington. There are many elements here that are tragic. He was at the height of his career. It is an election year here in the States and his show "Meet The Press" could make or break a politician. Ask David Duke. Died suddenly on Father's Day weekend. He is survived by his father who was the subject of his best selling book. His son, Luke, just graduated from Boston College and had just returned from Italy where he was celebrating his son's accomplishment. All this I got from the 24-Hour news shows.

Now, if you want real news, I suggest everyone to pick up a news paper–like the old days–and read articles. You'd all be surprised reporters are still actually doing a good job in the printed media.

The fault here with the 24-Hour news channels is that they survive on ratings. Ratings equals advertising dollar$$. This story just happens to be an emotional story. The guy who's father was a garbage man and rose to become a successful journalist. Advertisers love that #. Sad to say they will stop covering Tim Russert when the ratings start to wane.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I want to know who silenced Russert? Does anyone believe he died of a heart attack?

i suspect it might have had something to do with the plame case and mclellan testifying next week. but who knows.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ciphor
I think he was a great journalist and I find this thread distasteful and disrespectful.
His peers in the industry respected him as much as his viewers I'm sure and there right to honor him by reporting this sad day is completly acceptable. I'm open to debate as much as the next guy, and feel things are as corrupt as any of you, but there is a line, and in my opinion your crossing it big time, and especially this soon after his death. At least give it a week or so and allow time for people who loved this man to mourn him.
Sorry if my post is aggressive in nature or off topic, but common. Grow the hell up. I'll take point loss for this

to the OP...

you know what? the people who love this man aren't here. he chose a life in the limelight, so his death is in it too.

and yes your post was aggressive. i'll "grow up" when you open your eyes. how's that?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skipper1975
reply to post by ~Lucidity

you guys hear about this?
www.nesara.us...

spread the word...also notice how complicated it is just to contact a person in gov?

i've seen many of those references in other places but never put together in this way. thanks for the link. pretty creepy stuff.

reminds me too of that document by the chinese that came out in the late 90s called Unrestricted Warfare. They don't need bombs, guns, and standing armies to bring us down when they could wipe us all out by triggering chips in our cell phones, TVs, microwaves from their satellites. Hell they could probably bring us to our knees by not shipping us batteries for a month.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
This coverage is way over the top.

Russert was a likeable, affable gentleman who came across as extremely dedicated to current events and maintaining the integrity of journalism. Tim Russerts are rare, and I believe the sadness in his untimely passing is completely justified.

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
keep your own emotions

You don't seem to be aware that this thread of yours is also fueled with your own counter emotions.

my opinion is that it was over the top. what issue could you possibly take with that?

what difference does it make the he was a gentleman or not. i am not attacking or disrespecting this man.

i used the coverage of his death as an EXAMPLE, people, just the latest example of a TREND that out worthless all-for-profit-and-propoganda "news" media of ours has fallen into. get it?

oh and thank you for irrationally judging me. for your peace of mind, please know that i'm not one bit emotional about this. i'm jsut a skeptical observer.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grambler
he media in this country has let us down, if for no other reason, they let our government takes us into a war on false pretenses without questioning him. They have accepted money from our government to allow them to spin the truth, and allow the whims of only a handful of people to decide what is news worthy. And Tim Russert was a part of that. He had a lot of pull, and did nothing to change the system.

he was part of that. and the only one i heard even come close to addressing it was chris matthews, who was careful and spun russert's enthusiasm for the war as patriotism. and even though he was careful, that was a very terse interview.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I am glad someone said something about this. Earlier today my mother and I were talking about how his death has received more coverage than some presidents. I don't remember Peter Jennings getting this kind of coverage when he died. I thought to myself, "wow, something big must be going on in the world they really don't want people to know about."

I thought the man seemed like a nice guy and was pretty good at what he did. I think tributes and accolades for his accomplishments are well deserved. However, I do find the amount of coverage odd for his status. If there isn't something big that needed a diversion, I can't see why his death warranted such attention.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Brilliant ! I fully agree. Television is a scourge, the world's worst drug in my opinion. (no disrespect meant to Mr. Russert)

Can someone explain how it is that his death was a result of air-travel? How is it that John McCain is still at it with, presumably, a bunch of air-travel in his schedule as well?

all these bloody news guys flying around. enough with the pollution already! Big question is will jets fly lower now?? Is *that* secure? and it's bloody noisy!

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The stations / channels that covered his passing in that much detail aired some of the best footage they probably added. "My thoughts/prayers to the Russert family". Tim Russert provided some of the best coverage without getting partisan.

Think about it this was, those big media outlets are filtering out what you should know while brainwashing you to do "Big Corps" bidding.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I was never a Tim Russert Fan. It was easy to predict that the media ,in glorifying their own to demigod status, would take up much of our time with 24 hour coverage. I have watched none of it. What little news coverage I have had...when Tim Russert info comes on I quickly use the remote controller to change stations.

What little I know of the event is through here on ATS. Not really intrested in Tim Russert's demigod status. For all that matter ..I am also not intrested in the demigod status of anyone else. In the last Ten or so years the news media has lost alot of credibility with me. No reason for me to worship the media icons too.
While I feel for Tim Russerts family ..or anyone elses loss, I am not intrested in demigod status of the media or media icons. No thanks.

Orangetom

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I agree in full with the OP on this. Seriously, I read the bottom scroll to find out actual news. Tim Russert was a great journalist, respected by his peers, and good at interviews, but having literally no news for approaching 24 hours isn't exactly appropriate.

15 people have died in Philadelphia due to a heatwave. Detainees in Guantanamo Bay have been given the right to challenge their detainment in civilian court. The salmonella outbreak continues. All of those are actual news. Its grossly inappropriate for national news to be on the bottom scroll for an entire day just because a journalist died.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Ambrose

I'm a little confused about the complaint that several people have made about there being no news available. Sure, MSNBC has been doing retrospectives practically wall to wall, but that's to be expected. CNN, Headline News, and Fox are still doing their normal routine with an occasional segment on Tim Russert. As Kleverone pointed out, we're talking about a guy that died yesterday (Friday). I'm sure that by Monday they will be back to their normal programming. Anyways, the guy was well liked by practically everyone in the business. The same cannot be said about most others in the business (Bill O'Reilly and Keith Olbermann come to mind).

[edit on 6/15/2008 by Rotoplooker]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join