It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush disagrees with Guantanamo ruling

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Bush disagrees with Guantanamo ruling

www.news.com.au

US President George W. Bush said today he would abide by a US Supreme Court decision giving rights to prisoners at the US military base at Guantanamo Bay, but said he disagreed with the ruling.

"We'll abide by the court's decision. That doesn't mean I have to agree with it," he said after talks in Rome with Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.

"I strongly agree with those who dissented."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I can't believe he would say that! So, Bush would prefer that those people have NO rights at all???

Guilty until never proven innocent, it seems...

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Par for the course with the pathological lying, torturing, illegal spying Decider in chief...This is a temporary set-back to his complete apathy towards domestic and international law. But not to worry, he just hired Rush Limbaugh's cousin to another Federal bench seat, so they will probably overturn it when he starts imprisoning "Homegrown terrorists"...lol

[edit on 12-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Bush is correct on this issue.
This is one of the most outrageous rulings the supreme court has made in a very long time. NEVER in our nations history has the rights of U.S. citizens been given to terrorist caught on the battlefield. The 5 radical liberal judges who voted for this nonsense should be ashamed.

Using this twisted logic, I guess on the battlefield our soldiers will have to give the terrorists shooting at them their miranda rights. Wait a minute, since the court now says they are afforded the rights of U.S. citizens, how can we even shoot at them because it would be like shooting at U.S. citizens. This is just a ridiculous ruling.

This is one reason to vote for McCain since he stated he will at least submit strict constitutionalists for supreme court seats. These 5 radical liberal judges are writting their own laws instead of ruling on the law. Please tell me where in the Constitution that foreign enemies are afforded the rights of U.S. citizens.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Bush..the guy who thinks the Constitution is nothing more than to clean up after a good...constitution.

Don't even get me started on twisted logic from the Government.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
These 'detainees' are prisoners of war. Since when did any country's government during time of war extend these kind of rights to prisoners of war?

This is a huge step backwards. All you idiots just want to cheer when Bush is hurt by the supreme court liberals. It doesn't matter what the issue is, right?

You are your families may be a risk because of this stupid ruling.

Bush has always wanted to protect the Constitution as it was written. The liveral justices are revising it. One actually said the constitutions meaning must change to keep up with the times. Oh really?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Ahem. Who's to say you arent an enemy combatant? The only way you would see the light is if they incarcerated you or a loved one in CUBA and electrified your man-bits. As Bill O'Rielly barks about GUANTANAMO "it's for terrorists! its for terrorists!" We have due process in this country, and person or political party who tries to circumvent that is a criminal of this country and should be tried for treason. Support the dissenting Judges' on this issue, and eventually they will come for you!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Bush is going to disagree with the decision because he has this fetish when it comes to torturing people.

He Rumsfeld and Cheney probably watch every single tape that is taken during torturing for their own personal enjoyment.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I must have read and heard wrong on some things because I didn't know that all those "terrorists" were picked up on the battlefield by U.S soldiers. I thought some were picked up and handed over by other countries. Just so I know who belongs or not can you tell me what areas the U.S is considering battlefields??

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
Ahem. Who's to say you arent an enemy combatant?

Ahem, am I in Iraq or A-stan trying to kill U.S. soldiers and allied forces? No!........Nuff said.

We have due process in this country, and person or political party who tries to circumvent that is a criminal of this country and should be tried for treason.

I agree that the 5 judges who voted for this abomination should be tried for treason. Yeah, we have process in this country for U.S. CITIZENS. Terrorists and enemy combatants don't fall into the U.S. citizen catagory.

The supreme court led by the 5 radical judges totally reversed themselves and ignored previous precedent which they ruled on back in the WWII era which stated the U.S. Supreme Court has no authority when not on U.S. soil.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

A millitary base is US soil I believe, therefore the judges have every right to judge in this case.

Also, we have a certain piece of paper in this country (USA) that states that ALL men are created equal and with certain UNALIANABLE rights. It does not say that all people born in the USA are created equal and screw everyone else. You want to be a real Patriot? Read and understand the Declaration of Independance and the Constitution. Uphold these ideals and not those of a War Mongerer. That will make you a real patriot, standing up for what AMERICA is and not BUSH and his cronies.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916
A millitary base is US soil I believe, therefore the judges have every right to judge in this case.

We are talking about sovereign U.S. soil. The supreme court already ruled and set precedent on this years ago during the WWII era. They said no federal court had jurisdiction to hear their cases because the base is outside the sovereign territory of the United States.

The 5 judges who ruled for this crap must have ignored this previous precedent or more likely just wanted to push their radical liberal agenda.

Also, we have a certain piece of paper in this country (USA) that states that ALL men are created equal and with certain UNALIANABLE rights. It does not say that all people born in the USA are created equal and screw everyone else.

Sorry, but you need to comprehend what you read. You should go back and read them again. These documents do not cover those who are trying to kill you.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Star for this.

I have honestly been suspecting the same thing, actually.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Originally posted by Finn1916
Sorry, but you need to comprehend what you read. You should go back and read them again. These documents do not cover those who are trying to kill you.

By that line of thought, then a US citizen who is trying to kill someone does not have the right to a fair trial by his peers.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

No Bush is incorrect as are you, The Constitution lays the foundation for the rights of all men, not just Americans, It can only logistically protect those rights of the people born within its borders however the people within those borders aren't the only one's entitled to those most basic rights, One of the founding documents of this country the Declaration of Independence touches on this,

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

Americans individually from the rest of the world do have certain rights or advantages for beign American such as the protection of and from our Government, The right to elect the leaders of our choice, etc, etc, etc, Thats not to say that non Americans also do not have these things, simply that unless they become a citizen in this country they don't have a say in how this country is ran, However certain rights have no borders, These rights are the most basic rights, The initial rights in the Declaration of Independence, The rights to a fair trial and to face your accusers, And present your own defense and require that your accusers provide evidence of your alleged crime...

You don't get these rights for being an American, You are born with these most basic rights, You are an individual a sovereign being, And no man or Government holds power over you unless you do something wrong, And when accused of wrong doing you have a right to defend yourself, you have a right to a fair trial...

Being American doesn't make you special, it doesn't make you better then anyone, it only makes you lucky.

Some of us were merely lucky enough to be born into a nation that is supposed to protect these most basic rights...

How can a nation claim to be the beacon of freedom and democracy? yet continuously make exceptions and usurpations to the most basic rights of man, If these men are indeed guilty of the crime alleged against them then non of the rights they are entitled to will protect them, do you not understand this?
If they are guilty they will stand and face sentencing for the crimes they committed.

How can a free country have so little faith in the beliefs of its very foundation, so much so that it fears justice true justice, These most basic rights only protect the innocent.

What are you afraid of? Freedom?

If you fear that then perhaps this Republic has failed, Because if we continue down this path we will become that which we fight, Understand that you aren't protecting terrorists, you are protecting the innocent, because there will come a day when your friends or family will face these very same accusations, Because AMERICANS fall under the very laws these "terrorists" are being held for.

But its ok some people think they are special because they put there little go America or support the troops bumper stickers on their cars, wave their little flags and talk the talk, but when it comes to walking the walk, how quickly they forget the true meaning of the Constitution and the foundation of this Republic.

Neither of which are simply texts written onto old paper, But an Idea that doesn't discriminate against those who may not have been lucky enough to be born in a land that protects their most basic rights, An Idea that has clearly all but been forgotten...

But its much easier to wave a flag and call yourself a patriot, because you align yourself with the group think of blind patriotism and idiotic nationalism, then it is to read and understand what freedom and liberty is.

Continue on this path to tyranny while waving the flag of liberty, You're fooling no one.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by C0le]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
He is praying with the Pope tonight at some cathedral. Maybe God will 'talk' to him.
Must stink for the decider to see his control slipping and in limbo.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

The problem is you are making an assumption of guilt before a trial. You apparently think everyone their was trying to kill US soldiers, but that not true:

Apparently, Abassin and another taxi driver were picked up in the middle of clashes between a local warlord and pro-American militiamen and handed over to U.S. Special Forces in the camp.

Within days, the Americans were told the two men were innocent, according to the local governor at the time.

Taj Mohammed Wardak, Minister of the Interior, claims the two men, one of them being Abassin Sayed Roshan, were not guilty of anything. They were taken by mistake.

Says Wardak bluntly, "They were not guilty."

In fact, Guantanamo Bay detention camp appears to host a significant number of people who have no reason to be there.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.cbsnews.com...

By the way, the Afghanistan official that says they're innocent, hes part of the government that we put in and is our friend, and hes helping us fight the Taliban. You would have these men be treated with no rights also?

Also, look at it from the other direction. I bet your the type of person that if you heard of US soldiers being captured and being treated with no rights, you would be appalled. But under your definition they would have the right to do this, because the US soldier is trying to kill them.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

NEVER in our nations history has the rights of U.S. citizens been given to terrorist caught on the battlefield.

These people are not terrorist caught on the battlefield. They are suspects, some totally innocent as has been proven (some have been released).

Please tell me where in the Constitution that foreign enemies are afforded the rights of U.S. citizens.

This has been answered most eloquently by C0le.

Can I say again that for the first time in a long time, I am proud of my country. We are really taking some steps to reverse the damage done by this administration.

This is just cool.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
Ahem. Who's to say you arent an enemy combatant?

Ahem, am I in Iraq or A-stan trying to kill U.S. soldiers and allied forces? No!........Nuff said.

We have due process in this country, and person or political party who tries to circumvent that is a criminal of this country and should be tried for treason.

I agree that the 5 judges who voted for this abomination should be tried for treason. Yeah, we have process in this country for U.S. CITIZENS. Terrorists and enemy combatants don't fall into the U.S. citizen catagory.

The supreme court led by the 5 radical judges totally reversed themselves and ignored previous precedent which they ruled on back in the WWII era which stated the U.S. Supreme Court has no authority when not on U.S. soil.

Actually its not Nuff said, as you put it.
You do not have to be in Iraq or Afghanistan killing people to be labled an enemy combatant. ANYONE can be labled as such, at the discretion of the President. Terror as defined by our government is a very vague term and it can include almost anything. It is at the discretion of our govt to decide what constitutes terror, an act of terror, thoughts of terror, etc... You posting on this site could be determined to be a terrorist act and subject you to being labled an enemy combatant. This is how the laws have been written, you can choose to believe what you want or you can do your research and see that no one, not even American citizens are safe.

DO YOUR RESEARCH!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I think the constitution says that all humans have inalienable rights and all men are created equal. Im not sure if it says all men in the US are created equal. With that being said I agree with you partly these guys were caught on foreign lands on foreign battlefields. Anyone caught here in the states need trials plain and simple as that. As far as the people caught on foreign lands do something with them either try them or something holding them indefinitely makes no sense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join