It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 464
<< 461  462  463    465  466  467 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Ask SO if I can take a screen shot, he will laugh himself off his chair! He tried to help me do that one time and hasnt talked to me since...

So, btw how does one take a screen shot in 3 easy steps?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
I must have missed something?

That's what she ....

Oh, lol

Like insert rod A into slot B...

Thats what she......

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Ok so it finished uploading from the converter site, and now I cant find it?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I'm a Mac kind of girl. There's a cute little utility called "Grab" that we use. Or there are keyboard shortcuts, but I never remember which one is which.

link   
I was able to find on the PDF a tool for making copies, I drug that over what I wanted and it took the cpoy, but now where is the copy? 3 hours trying to save one paragraph...

link   

Control/Shift/4

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Hey hey, I
should' just link the judges to the archives I am searching,
Now, if I can just remember which year there have been several since Shakespeare's time.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thanks SDog
is that the whole screen or the active window?

@antar: I wish I could be more help

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Try it.

It changes your mouse into a capture tool and saves automatically to desktop.

Edit: Control/Shift/3 automatically captures the whole active window.

[edit on 17 Feb 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

It changes your mouse into a capture tool and saves automatically to desktop.

Nice. That's what I use most - the partial capture not the window or whole screen

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
*OS-evangelistic sarcasm mode: ON*

Control/Shift/4

Yes, Macs certainly are easier to use. I have to press the "Print Screen" key to do that. Okay, well maybe it is labeled "PrtSc", but pressing that saves an image file (PNG) to the desktop. Oh, and pressing Alt-PrtSc takes a screenshot of only the active window, instead of the entire screen.

Edit: And Windows users, my OS eats your OS for breakfast, and virtualizes it, too: www.youtube.com...

*OS-evangelistic sarcasm mode: OFF*

Hmm, I think I should have gotten TWISI's debate subject...

[edit on Feb 17th 2009 by Ian McLean]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Yes, Macs certainly are easier to use. I have to press the "Print Screen" key to do that. Okay, well maybe it is labeled "PrtSc", but pressing that saves an image file (PNG) to the desktop. Oh, and pressing Alt-PrtSc takes a screenshot of only the active window, instead of the entire screen.

And to take a screenshot of just a piece of a window?

BTW, I think there's a lady in distress who needs help from people who speak Windows a couple posts up from here

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
And to take a screenshot of just a piece of a window?

Yes, how do you defenestrate on windows PCs?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Well, I'm not using Windows (see above edit), but if I remember correctly, Windows does the same thing with the "PrtSc" key, except it copies the picture to the clipboard, rather than saving it automatically. Once it's on the clipboard, you can run the built-in "Paint" program, create a new document (which will be sized appropriately to what's on the clipboard), then choose "Paste", and save it.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

I knew you didn't use Windows personally, but I figured your general genius in all non-Mac computer-related fields would cover such questions

But I'm confused, does PrintScreen take a screenshot of the whole desktop, or does it let you choose just a small part of the screen (which is what command-shift-4 does for us)?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

*OS-evangelistic sarcasm mode: ON/OFF*

Most if not all computers have an OS.

Macs presently have OS X.

I only mention this to encourage quickly advancing the debate beyond quibbling definitions.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
But I'm confused, does PrintScreen take a screenshot of the whole desktop, or does it let you choose just a small part of the screen (which is what command-shift-4 does for us)?

PrtSc = entire desktop, Alt+PrtSc = current window. To take a screenshot of just a particular region of the screen, it's the 'super key' (windows logo on some keyboards, option key on a Mac keyboard) + click and drag with the mouse.

I don't think there's a built-in way to capture just a selected region of the screen, on Windows.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

PrtSc = entire desktop, Alt+PrtSc = current window. To take a screenshot of just a particular region of the screen, it's the 'super key' (windows logo on some keyboards, option key on a Mac keyboard) + click and drag with the mouse.

But I think the "super key" is probably what we call a "Command" key – our "option" key is the "alt" key. And just to confuse things further, we use our "Command" key the way Windows uses its "Control" key. But we do have a "Control" key too

The "Command" key was once-upon-a-time the "Open Apple" key.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
How about this:

In Firefox when you google up a .pdf, there is usually an option that says "view as HTML". Then copy & paste what you want and link to that url.

Or, when viewing a .pdf in Adobe Reader (a free download for both Windows or Mac), you CAN copy text from the .pdf and paste it into a word processor or text editor, although you may have to use the keyboard shortcuts instead of selecting copy and paste from the Edit menu.

Link to the URL for the .pdf, then type in the page number and location (3rd paragraph, 10 lines from bottom of page, etc.) where the quote is located so that the readers & judges don't have to search or dig for it.

If you open the "downloads" window from your web browser (sometimes located in Tools), then right click on the name of the file, you should have an option to "open containing folder" which will show you where the file was put. Or, you can right click and open the downloaded file directly from the downloads window (unless the browser can't figure out what to open it with).

Good luck.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
All right guys...take it to the computer forum...

I don't like feeling intellectually challenged...

new topics

top topics

<< 461  462  463    465  466  467 >>

join