It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Monroe Institute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   

TMI was founded by Robert Monroe after he started having what he called "out of body experiences." It is comprised of several buildings on land owned by the Monroe family in Virginia, USA. One of its activities includes teaching various techniques, based on Hemi-Sync, in order to expand consciousness and explore areas of consciousness not normally available in the waking state.

A reporter for The Hook, weekly newspaper for Charlottesville, Virginia, who visited the Monroe Institute said, "...with a few exceptions, the only "normal" people with whom I could fully identify were the trainers, who seemed remarkably well-grounded for people whose day-to-day experiences include astral projection and disembodied spirits."

The reporter also concluded that "there is something significant being developed at the Institute. Whether it's just a brilliant guided meditation (complete with trance-inducing stereoscopic sound) or a doorway to a world of spirit entities, I cannot say."

I'm just curious if anyone can expound on this. I'm fascinated by The Monroe Institute, Robert A. Monroe, and OBEs in general. Has anyone on ATS been through the TMI programs? If so, would you be willing to share some of what goes on there and your own personal experiences?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Isaac Tanner Madsen

I know a lot about these guys - and I lean towards them favourably. Sure the intel types are sent there to learn stuff, but anyone from the public can go too.

I really really recommend you read the three books by Robert Monroe - especially the last two ("Journeys Out Of the Body" and "The Ultimate Journey" - I think they are called).
I put his three books into my "absoutely essential reading in order to understand any 'big picture' list".

peace

Duncan

Mod Edit: Removed unnecessary full quote of preceding post. Please see ABOUT ATS: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 14/5/08 by JAK]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Already well on that path. About the time I joined ATS is when I started researching this stuff and it began with my reading "The Ultimate Journey" because it was the only book my library had by Robert A. Monroe. Couldn't put that book down because it paralleled my personal views on so many different levels.

Then I went back to reading his first book, "Journeys Out of the Body." Unfortunately, partially because I was reading those books and discussing them with my brothers, my dad became angry and essentially kicked me out of the house, which I'm grateful for in many ways. It'd be nice if he was just a little more religiously open-minded. I eventually went back home for a visit and my dad had thrown all those books out (but enough about that).

Funny that you should have recommended them because I just reordered them earlier today, which sparked the idea of posting this thread.

I've had a couple of OBE-like experiences in the past, and thought it would be good to try and regain that ability. I've tried their Gateway recordings without any success, but I think the main problem is I can only find time just before bed for that. My roommates are a big distraction, not to mention I live in a very closed-minded community. I find that the closest I came to achieving another real OBE was when I'd been reading Monroe's books. I still haven't finished the second and I need to re-read the other two. I've related some of my religious and philosophical ideas and experiences on these forums in the past, including my OBEs.

But anyhow, I'd like some ideas about how I can reach that OBE state again. I'd love to try visiting TMI, but I simply don't have the money available at the moment.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Isaac Tanner Madsen

Darn it - "Far Journeys" was the title of his second book. I couldn't remember it until after I read your email. I reckon it is a 'life changer' book - especially for me. "The Ultimate Journey" was merely the icing on the cake after that one.

Bruce Moen, one of the Monroe Institute star students, went on to pen several books. I suggest you skip the first 2 or 3 - and start either at book 3 or 4. They are also very interesting reading - and complement Monroe's own books very nicely.

Also, if you find these books interesting, may I recommend the novels pen by Jane Roberts (author of the Seth books). Get hold of "The Education of Oversoul Seven" and you won't be disappointed.

peace

Duncan

Mod Edit: Removed unnecessary full quote of preceding post. Please see ABOUT ATS: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 14/5/08 by JAK]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
When I had the hang of Lucid Dreaming I wanted to move on and try Astral Projection. I tried the "Gateway Experience" but I had a difficult time with it. I did have some success, but it was fairly limited. I was never able to move on beyond the first series of discs. I think my problem is that I need to understand things down to a very fine point or I fear I am doing it wrong, so I would get stuck on a lesson and not be able to move beyond due to technical difficulties.

I believe in Robert Monroe. I do have my suspicions about his wife though. Since he died, I just have the feeling that people are now cashing in on his name. I have zero evidence to back this up, it is just how I feel.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I believe in Robert Monroe. I do have my suspicions about his wife though. Since he died, I just have the feeling that people are now cashing in on his name. I have zero evidence to back this up, it is just how I feel.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. His wife died before he did. Maybe you're referring to his daughter, who ran the Monroe Institute after Robert's death.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

My experiences at TMI, beginning 15 years ago, were life-changing, and I have never ceased to be grateful for the opportunity. After I came home I vowed to publish anything by TMI participants that I felt worthwhile. (I was co-owner and chief editor for Hampton Roads Publishing Company.) Among those books were Bruce Moen's five, four by Joe McMoneagle (Remote Viewer 001), one by Skip Atwater, who had helped set up the Stargate program, and several others including my own explorations.

I agree that Far Journeys was Bob's most important book, but many will find Journeys Out of the Body more accessible, at least at first.

With the death of Laurie Monroe last year, TMI is totally independent of the Monroe family. I wish it many more decades of success and influence.

Frank DeMarco

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

My experiences at TMI, beginning 15 years ago, were life-changing, and I have never ceased to be grateful for the opportunity. After I came home I vowed to publish anything by TMI participants that I felt worthwhile. (I was co-owner and chief editor for Hampton Roads Publishing Company.) Among those books were Bruce Moen's five, four by Joe McMoneagle (Remote Viewer 001), one by Skip Atwater, who had helped set up the Stargate program, and several others including my own explorations.

Frank DeMarco

Wow! Thanks for your response! I would love to read your explorations and those you've you've published of others. I believe I managed to find your blog and find it fascinating, not to mention your fantastic sense of humor!

How often do you visit TMI? I'd love to extend my research further. How did you first come across TMI?

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I just realized after reading The Gateway Experience® Wave I-Discovery CD pamphlet that I've achieved a very solid Focus 10 state, including remote hearing. I think perhaps a big part of what has kept me from achieving out-of-body experiences is the fact that I keep getting distracted by the physical sensations I'm getting. I need to "simply go with whatever [I am] ... experiencing" and forget about what I expect to happen.

I haven't made much of a mark with any advanced Focus 10 techniques. I think a good solid run-through of Wave I is in order, taking into light my new understanding of the process.

new topics

top topics

join