It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSH BLAMES India for rising food prices not BioFuel.....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   

BUSH BLAMES India for rising food prices not BioFuel.....

timesofindia.indiatimes.com

WASHINGTON: Prosperity in countries like India is "good" but it triggers increased demand for "better nutrition" which in turn leads to higher food prices, US President George W Bush said. ( Watch )

The comments come close on the heels of US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's controversial statement that "apparent improvement" in the diets of people in India and China and consequent food export caps is among the causes of the current global food crisis.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
wHAT A Bull..t .

timesofindia.indiatimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
It is fairly typical for the Bush Cru. to make these sorts of comments without actually providing any sort of reasoning as to how to deal with the situation.

They treat information disclosure like a dinner menu - you order your food and pay for it later.

edit; i wouldn't think too much of this for the time being; perhaps in a week or so this will seem more pressing.

[edit on 3-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 123space

Actually, the article states that he did include biofuels as one of the factors involved.

Otherwise, I don't see why this is a great, distressing revelation. What he says is absolutely true and any economist worth his salt will tell you so. As a population's wealth increases, so will their demand for goods and services across the board. One of those goods will certainly be food, anything from staples such as rice to more expensive luxury food items.

A quick check around the internet seems inconclusive, but if one could find whether India's food imports have been rising in recent years, it would probably help clear up the question of whether or not he's right.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

I notice that in the sidebar, Bush has proposed $770 million in emergency food aid worldwide.

timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Bush is correct in this instance.

Increased prosperity = Increased demand = increased prices.

There is nothing that can be done about it though; short of imposing tariff barriers.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Besides the fact that this moron is the president of the United States... can anyone give me one good reason to pay attention to anything he says?

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The cost of everything is going up due to rising fuel prices. Add in the rising costs of fertilizers and pesticides and it's no wonder food prices are going up. Scapegoating biofuels is unproductive and not even close to the full truth.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

That's gone up from the 200m that i last heard about.

I still contest the fact that you can't solve a problem like this by throwing money at it - this is the kind of stuff that requires back-breaking labour and iron willpower to deal with, not an easy solution like sprinkling a bit of cash here and there to lubricate the cogs.

Of course, it's not as if they're going to tell America to pick up it's shovels and start digging gardens now, is it?

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I certainly agree with you that throwing money at it won't solve the problem. But that's what a government's solution to any problem tends to be; slap a bandaid on it and consider it fixed. Par for the course.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I suppose that's the point i'm trying to make - it's easier to pay someone to do the work instead of doing it yourself, at least if you have the money.

But for the people out there who don't have the money, and because of age or disease they can't do the work, what exactly are they going to do about it?

Well, they could ask for help - of course, it's not everyday that you get some poor farmer walking up to the gates of the whitehouse and saying;

"My Crops are dying, there is no food for the cows, My son works as hard as i do and yet we can only provide enough food to keep me, my son and my mother fed for another two weeks.

Help Us George, Help us".

What would Georgey Boy do, i wonder?

Would he pick up a shovel and go toil in the fields, or would he give them a few hundred U.S Dollars?

edit; This doesn't even touch on those places to isolated to receive the aid in the first place.

The world is a nefarious place for those whom consider themselves righteous in every aspect, but when faced with the temptation of sloth they give in every time.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
I certainly agree with you that throwing money at it won't solve the problem. But that's what a government's solution to any problem tends to be; slap a bandaid on it and consider it fixed. Par for the course.

It is the government's preferred solution, but it only highlights how ignorant they can be if they keep doing the same thing over and over again.

I mean, how much money has been spent on aid in the past?

Millions?

Billions?

Trillion(s)?

It will take all that and more in order to set the problem straight, and yet no one who has the power seems to notice that all they're doing is putting money into a grinder.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Merkel just said something similar a few days ago.

"If you travel to India these days, then a main part of the debate is about the 'second meal'," Merkel said.

"People are eating twice a day, and if a third of one billion people in India do that, it adds up to 300 million people. That's a large part of the European Union," she said.

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Oh God forbid that the Indians or anyone else for that matter would want a better life. Only Americans deserve that!!!

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I dont think Bush was blaming India. He is just stating the fact that increased demand from the tiger nations is pushing up prices. I think he knows there is nothing that he can do about it. There is nothing that anyone can do about it- its the free market.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by 123space

This is what happens when Bush forgets to consult with a speechwriter: the true ignorance shines through. Bush and the rest of the administration, congress and senate live in a fantasy world where taxes are voluntary (so they don't pay them,) greed is king, and world opinion doesn't matter. Apparently now, facts don't matter either.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

He's not blaming them at all, he's simply stating a fact. If India's demand for imported food has been on the upswing, it's going to be a factor in rising food prices as well and as 44soulslayer said, there's little if anything anyone in government can really do about it.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

No argument, but that's just the way government works, unfortunately. They're usually interested in quick gratification and the easiest means of sweeping problems under the rug and getting the problem out of the public eye as best they can.

And the public is partially to blame as well, because anytime you show them a few dollar bills, they'll bite on it, hook, line and sinker. Money solves everything, or so most people seem to think.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
hmmmm, so india had bad food before?

everytime I go to india I eat the highest quality food i've ever had

and im not talking about only our superior cuisine, im talking about food

go to the grocery store here, you'll see shiny apples, shiny this and shiny that

go apple picking, do u see apples all shiny? NO

In india they just wash all the food really well and we eat it, there's no need to use chemicals to make it all shiny

you drive around and there's people with huge amounts of vegetables, fruits, sometimes flour or rice or this or that, people selling it on the curve where you make u-turns, drive anywhere you will see these people every few 20 yards or so.

every morning you wake up early early by people screaming outside.. Carrotssss, Milkkkkkkk, watermelonnnnn... this or that!
Everything, 30 sellers within a maybe 1 mile radius with massive selections.

There is no lack of food in india, if anything there's an excess

We always had and always will have better food than you!

Bush is a liarrrrrrr

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I think you saying rite but issue is BUSH blame India about its requirement and india and china influence and he try to hide his failer

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join