It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police not guilty in groom's death

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A judge acquitted three New York Police Department detectives of all charges Friday morning in the shooting death of an unarmed man in a 50-bullet barrage, hours before he was to be married.
[edit on 25-4-2008 by 4thefight]

Mod Edit- Trimmed Down to News Story Requirements.

Instructions For Posting News

[edit on 25-4-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The NY police are already preparing for riots. I think someone should be held accountable.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by 4thefight

That story sounds totally wrong. No guns or drugs were found on the victims and they died because the were driving off to get away. I think all who shot their guns should be held accountable for their actions. It's a shame that a citizen without a weapon gets shot at that many times for not hearing them or even not listening to them. And one detective reloads? To many trigger happy cops out there that don't think straight when it comes to people. I feel for the fiancé and his family who are grieving.

[edit on 4/25/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I highly doubt there will be riots. Commissioner Kelly said that there is a plan for anything - but you have to remember that there were no riots and very little violence after the Amadou Diallo case. In my opinion, that case seemed worse.

Riots in NY would be catastrophic because of how close together everything is. I hope everyone keeps their cool. Sharpton seems to be handling this pretty rationally.

“We are the same people that when the trial was wrongfully moved to Albany of Amadou Diallo, that I stood on these steps when they were acquitted and said, ‘we’re not going to throw one brick or one stick and we didn’t. We’re the same people,” said Reverend Al Sharpton.

"There are other means for them in case they are disappointed with the decision," said Marshall. "They can move it onto a higher court."

NY1.com

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

That story sounds totally wrong. No guns or drugs were found on the victims and they died because the were driving off to get away. I think all who shot their guns should be held accountable for their actions. It's a shame that a citizen without a weapon gets shot at that many times for not hearing them or even not listening to them. And one detective reloads? To many trigger happy cops out there that don't think straight when it comes to people. I feel for the fiancé and his family who are grieving.

I totally agree! I don't understand how they could be found not guilty! If it was up to a jury they would have been guilty for sure. I feel for the family and friends as well. What those cops did was wrong.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4thefight
I totally agree! I don't understand how they could be found not guilty! If it was up to a jury they would have been guilty for sure. I feel for the family and friends as well. What those cops did was wrong.

Yeah, well, the "Just Us" system protects its own. I'm not really surprised. Not one bit. The real question is, how many more times does this have to happen before the rest of the People take the hint that the cops are NOT on our side?

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by The Nighthawk

Yeah, well, the "Just Us" system protects its own. I'm not really surprised. Not one bit. The real question is, how many more times does this have to happen before the rest of the People take the hint that the cops are NOT on our side?

I don't think all cops are not on our side. I still believe there are still good cops out there. But there is a problem with too many corrupt police officers.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I was the one who originally reported this story when these cops went to a "no jury" trial.

All I can say is I KNEW IT!!

How freaking crooked is our "justice" system?!? Look no further!!

[edit on 25-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4thefight
I don't think all cops are not on our side. I still believe there are still good cops out there. But there is a problem with too many corrupt police officers.

The corruption is so deep and so endemic to the justice system the "good" cops that are out there (yes, they exist, BUT) are essentially neutralized. The "Blue Wall of Silence" and frat boy mentality of police organizations ensures anyone who speaks up about what they see will be buried, ignored, ostracized, or even have a bad "accident". If there's one good cop in a group of six, and the other five start beating an innocent person senseless just to "blow off steam", you think that one good cop will actually do something about it? Will he go to his superiors, who most likely engaged in the very same behaviour when they were on the beat, and trust that they'll discipline their "boys"? Or will he keep quiet and act like nothing happened in order to keep his job and protect his family? Good cops who do nothing to stop the bad become, by extension, just as bad as the bad cops themselves.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
To those who say they dont want riots...you know what..maybe a good riot is in need to make these police realize we the people run the show and not them...but do NOT riot against innocent people and burn down normal businesses and houses this is not them who is the problem it is the system...I am hearing all sorts of stories about police and the dumb things they are arresting people for these days and including myself and frankly Im sick of it.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I would appreciate you not calling for a "good riot" because for one, there is no such thing as a "good riot". Things get smashed, people get hurt and the people who do get hurt often have nothing to do with the case.

Also - I live relatively close to the courthouse and it would really suck to get the crap kicked out of me because someone thought that a "good riot" was needed.

Take it to a higher court and hope that public outrage will turn the tide.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The order has just come through.

Shoot to kill over anything, wether fictional, pure paranoia, delussions, no matter what, the order has been placed loud and clear.
Shoot to kill by the molicemen.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The story, just explained sounds complete wrong. and 50 bullets? how could that NOT be explained as over excessive force used.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The Police are certainly scoring marks these days aren't they?

Cops riddle 50 bullets into an unarmed man (remember back to the days of the OJ Simpson debacle when te cops DIDN'T try and stop him and waited for him to stop on his own such that no one got hurt or killed erroneously??)

A student proclaiming "Dont tase me dude".... which I can certainly understand this sentiment if the end result is:

CINCINNATI -- A Chicago man died Thursday of injuries suffered when police attempted to subdue him last week during a nightclub altercation near Miami University.

An officer used a Taser stun gun on Piskura, who authorities said immediately began having trouble breathing and was taken to an Oxford hospital.

Article Source

Sicken anyone else? Just more fuel for the fire.

AB1

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Farking blue code of silence!!!!!

Welcome to Police State America...this is where we are all headed...obviously cops never lie on the stand
....this verdict needs to be appealed all the way to the SCOTUS, because those officers were in the WRONG and should be held accountable!

There is no excuse for shooting an unarmed man 50 times! None! I don't care if he is 10 ft tall and weighs 500 pounds, if he is unarmed, you should not be using deadly force!

There needs to be more stringent psychological testing for potential (and current) cops to weed out the power-hungry a$$holes that dominate the present system!

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Let's not forget... this isn't a completely 'done deal' yet...

Cops in Bell case still not in the clear

Despite their acquittal on all the criminal charges, NYPD detectives Gescard Isnora, Michael Oliver and Marc Cooper are not in the clear, police sources say.

It is possible federal authorities could move to make a case against the detectives, but if that does not happen it is likely Internal Affairs investigators will quickly decide whether the cops involved in the Bell case will be brought up on departmental charges.

More in that article plus some news reports on video there (main vid window + should be more to the right)

BTW -- I would expect riots if the racial issue was an underlying factor. I just don't see it here, as 2 of the 3 cops involved in the trial are black.

[edit on 4/25/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RabbitChaser
BTW -- I would expect riots if the racial issue was an underlying factor. I just don't see it here, as 2 of the 3 cops involved in the trial are black.

Why do riots have to be on account of a race issue. Why can't we riot just to let the cops know we are SICK OF IT?

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
Why do riots have to be on account of a race issue. Why can't we riot just to let the cops know we are SICK OF IT?

Why not follow the teachings of Ghandi instead and meet their violent agression with passive resistance.

As a very wise man and author, Isaac Asimov, once said "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

I believe there are lessons to be learned here, and that rioting would only serve to help the interests of the police state!

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone
Cops riddle 50 bullets into an unarmed man

No, actually he was shot 4 times.

Sean Bell was hit four times, bullets passing through his right shoulder, arm, lung, liver, and larynx.

nymag.com...

Joseph Guzman was the one that took most of the bullets as he was the one they suspected had a gun due to his earlier comments.

Sean Bell shouldn't have been killed but he was hardly an angel. He attempted to run down the detective (Proved by clothing on bumper and bruise on leg) rammed their car, backed up and attempted to ram it again. It didn't help matters that Bell was intoxicated while driving either. No, Sean Bell was a regular felon looking for a bad place to happen.

He got picked up by police in 2003 and 2004 on drugs and weapons possession. In April 2006, he got busted selling coke. He did five days of community service in August, but a police informant allegedly bought coke from him again that same month. In early November, he was picked up again, this time for pot possession

nymag.com...

I really feel bad for his wife(to be) and kids, but should we really be shocked that a drunken convicted drug-dealer hanging out at a strip club is going to run into trouble? This wasn't Disney world he was partying at.

Should black people riot? Is this drug-dealer their symbol of who they are as a people? I wouldn't take a step to protest this man's death even if it was preventable. I think the police dept. has some explaining to do concerning the officer that reloaded and emptied his gun a second time, but this should be taken up with the mayor and the police chief. Riots aren't going to solve anything.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by keeb333
As a very wise man and author, Isaac Asimov, once said "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

This is very true. Our incompetence comes from the fact that we can do nothing about it.

I believe there are lessons to be learned here, and that rioting would only serve to help the interests of the police state!

I agree that violence is the last answer. I was only commenting on the "race issue" aspect of rioting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join