It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fresno Student Shot, Killed by Police Officer After Bat Attack

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
reply to post by schism85

"We have a Roosevelt High School here,..."

Which is not the same one as Theodore Roosevelt High in Fresno. Perhaps you are knowingly citing a different incident, The link you provided is for Franklin Roosevelt High in Hyde Park...

However, I am interested in what this "Assistant" Principles' motivation for staging his own stabbing might be... personal vendetta against one or two of the kids?...

I apologize for the side-track..., just curious about that links' story now...

[edit on 18-4-2008 by FewWorldOrder]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FewWorldOrder

Which is not the same one as Theodore Roosevelt High in Fresno. Perhaps you are knowingly citing a different incident, The link you provided is for Franklin Roosevelt High in Hyde Park...

That's correct. Hometown of FDR.

However, I am interested in what this "Assistant" Principles' motivation for staging his own stabbing might be... personal vendetta against one or two of the kids?...

Something like that. From what I understand the kid that initially got arrested for it was indeed a trouble-maker or a "scumbag" as my cousin put it. But obviously that is no excuse for this idiot to do what he did trying to frame the kid.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I know it was a different school. I am just saying that there is a Roosevelt High School here too, not Teddy but Franklin yes. I was just responding to Jackinthebox about there being one in New York, that has similar problems with gang violence. And if you look at the link, there are tons of incidents that I was not aware of. I bet there are many Roosevelt Highs that have the same problem. Just stating a coincidence.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by schism85]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Roger that, I had not seen your post displayed yet.

....maybe our Highest Court should consider a Nation-Wide ban on Baseball Bats now huh.....

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FewWorldOrder

....maybe our Highest Court should consider a Nation-Wide ban on Baseball Bats now huh.....

Well then we would just lose our greatest national past time now wouldn't we. I for one do not care much for baseball so, it wouldn't matter to me.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by schism85]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I'd just like to say that I read all the way through this thread and have to applaud the OP. Sadly, it is NOT often that mature debate goes on here at ATS anymore... and this was very good seeing everyone talk this out and seeing the OP grow as the thread did. More people on here need to keep an open mind and properly discuss the threads... and READ threads.

This officer looks to have been trained properly. I was trained that should I ever feel the need to pull my weapon I better be doing so to kill. You don't draw to intimidate you draw to save your life. The worse thing that could come from shooting to mame is that this piece of sh&t kid could turn around and sue the officer (and the school, and also the City) for shooting him... and win. Imagine if you will... being an officer with your life being threatened and deciding to shoot to mame so as not to kill someone. Then the b&sturd turns around and sues you. You may end up losing your house, your car, maybe a marriage. Not worth it. If you draw, KILL... otherwise, don't carry.

Candyman

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Anyone bother to find out why this dumb kid was carrying around a bat at school, hitting law enforcement officers in the head with it?
Poor student...everyone cries for a dumbass that was asking to get hurt or hurt someone else.
What if the cop was your husband, brother, or father? Would you defend the crazed student then? Had I been the attacked, there wouldn't be enough left of him to identify.
Why not use mace? Are you serious? Why not just blow a whistle while you're bleeding on the ground from a recently incurred head wound (attacked from behind) and yell, "Help me!"
That cop did what he had to do, and no rational person could see different.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by cmongo4

You are right. Nice post. Everyone would agree. A+++

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Just to follow up a bit,

Quoted content from the Fresno Bee website:

"The officer sustained a two-inch gash on his head. He was taken to Community Medical Center for treatment."
"...Junus Perry, the Fresno police officer involved in the Roosevelt High School shooting, has been treated and released, a spokeswoman at Community Regional Medical Center said."

Looks like he'll be ok.

One thing though, and it may just be attributable to the fact that people sometimes recall things with inaccuracy, but I've noticed a little anomaly in the accounts of the incident in this Fresno Bee report.

Emphasis mine in the following excerpts:
"A Fresno police officer who works at Roosevelt High School shot and killed a boy Wednesday who struck him in the back of the head with a baseball bat."

"The officer, described as a 10-year veteran of the Fresno force, was struck on the side of the head with a baseball bat, Dyer said"

"Dyer said the attack occurred just outside the resource officer's office. The officer fell backward from the blow,..."

I just thought it noteworthy...?

I also feel I must express my regret over the loss of a Humans' life regardless of the circumstances.

Thanks

[edit on 19-4-2008 by FewWorldOrder]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I will admit that as one in a branch so to speak of law enforcement I was ready to come on and rip on you. I'm very glad I don't feel the need. I appreciate your open mind and ability to grow.

Just so you know in my training we are taught to aim for center of available mass to stop the action when there are no other means available. That is exactly what the officer did.

Prayers to both the families. I wish them healing and peace.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Good eye. Dyer is the Captain over there right? Maybe like you said already, the officer that was attacked may not have remebered things so clearly. My question is, did the officer give those accounts or was it a witness at the scene? Are there conflicting stories between 2 people or just a modification in the officers original story? Or maybe Dyer just did'nt have all the facts at the times/time of the statements/statement. Noteworthy indeed though.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by schism85]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmongo4
Anyone bother to find out why this dumb kid was carrying around a bat at school, hitting law enforcement officers in the head with it?

That is another good question. How was he allowed to walk around with a crude bat in the first place, unless he kept it concealed untill the moment of the attack?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I'd say the discrepency is just a little bit of journalistic loss of translation. I would speculate that the officer was attacked from behind, but when the kid swung the bat, he caught the officer more in the side of the head than the back. Think more of a rear-quarter. As far as the officer's tumble, that is really only based on his balance, not the angle of attack. He may have spun around after the initial blow. Also, if I remember correctly, he was attacked on a ramp.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Seems to me that there might be a bit more to this story that is not being reported. I have a suspicion that there may have been some earlier or ongoing problem between the officer and this student, but it might not have been anything that the family would have known about. Either way, it looks like this attack was certainly pre-meditated. In that case, the weapon was intentionally "smuggled" onto campus, maybe in a backpack, or down a sleeve.

Also keep in mind that a school is not a prison, so there are things available to use as a crude weapon. Is this not a performing arts magnet school? Perhaps the "bat" was construction material for stage props?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Yes I do believe he was attacked on a ramp. Smart. If he was attacked from behind and did'nt see it coming, he would have been hit in the side of the head. In order to land a blow directly at the back of the head, he would of had to swing down with it above the officers head, or be at the officers side. My bet would be he was swinging like a baseball player, and landed a blow to the side of the head from directly behind the officer..

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I would agree, if one were to approach from pretty much directly behind(or in front), the actual swing would necessarily strike on some part of the side of the head.

Nevertheless, I'll keep browsing some different accounts of the story when I get a chance...

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox

"I have a suspicion that there may have been some earlier or ongoing problem between the officer and this student,..."

This from ABC30.com:

" Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said, "In speaking with the officer that was involved in the incident, there is no recollection on his part of him having any type of dealing with this student on a negative basis. And, uh, he wasn't really familiar with who the student was. Um, it doesn't appear that, at least based on what we have found at this point in time, uh, that there any type of confrontation that had occurred prior to this, with the officer."

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Well i finally pried the info outta my sweetie. Shes CSI for FPD. She wasnt the investigator on that call but discussed it with the agent that did.

The first account of "back" of the head was supposedly relayed from a couple of eyewitnesses that were a few yards away at the time. The "side" remark was after Officer Perry was released.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Here are a link to some videos I found of the aftermath of everything just after the attack, and a press confrence held by Dyer. I started to watch one and skiped through but it got stuck, now they won't load for me. Maybe you can give it a try. I know there was a witness interview or someone describing what happened on one of the videos. Maybe you have seen these already.

Here is the link :www.fresnobee.com...

[edit on 19-4-2008 by schism85]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Thanks for the info.

I would have to say then, that the officer was probably targeted simply becasue he ahd a uniform on. I did read somewhere that the bat-wielder did actually intend to commit "suicide-by-cop." I would have to say that carrying a bat and a knife show some level of intent.

(By the way, after seeing pictures of the bat, it doesn't look like something you would find laying around in a school.)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join