It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why ALL The Flight Cancellations?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
When I heard about the cancellations, I had two thoughts. One was someone is playing with put options, and or trying to rig the market in some way. Two was some sort of false flag terror plot is about to unfold.

American Airlines is in big trouble, as their stock is pretty well worthless. It's a crappy airline. I will never use them again, ever. If their stock goes to 2$ a share I might buy a little of it to see if they are going to get scooped up, and maybe I could make a quick profit, that type of thing is real risky though.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hybridx

Because in the last two weeks two AA passenger planes had problems trying to land here in Aruba. One had a problem with the engine, the other (last Sunday) had a problem with the landing gear.

At that moment I was just driving on the road next to the airport, and the police where everywhere, with me wondering why. Then I heard on the radio what was going on.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
For so many different airline companies to be going down like this, could there be some type of magnetic disturbance messing with them?
Far-fetched probably, but something to think about (at least for me) yes.

Reply to hybridx --
Ack, skimmed over it primarily (the first few lines and then slapped it in there just to show that the plane was getting checked as well. And yep, I put the 3rd so everyone would know before looking to the link that it's a bit dated. Yet it still had problems, which could make one wonder how long these "problems" may have been going on. As well if they had started spontaneous or are a gradual type of thing.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Ok, guys and girls, are you ready for the unbelievable truth?

This comes from a source within the FAA.

The DC-9/MD80-88/90 Fleet has a long history of nose landing gear micro-switch harness related problems. This is usually caused by the nose gear snagging the wiring harness on the up or down cycle and ripping the crap out of it. This switch not only indicates nose gear position but also "tells" aircraft onboard systems whether or not the aircraft is in the air. Many systems, cabin pressure & anti-ice/de-icing systems ,for examble, are disabled in ground mode. This has lead to inflight cabin depressurization and inoperative deicing in the past few months. As a result, the FAA issued directives that called for inspection of the nose gear wiring harnesses & switch installation. The Airline, American in this case, had their engineering department issue an EO "Engineering Order", outlining the method of conformance as stipulated by the FAA. They specified that the bundle was to be "tiewrapped" every inch, as they were tired of seeing this problem over & over again. Electricians performing the work saw to tiewrap the wire bundle each inch and thought it a typo as surely the engineer meant each foot which is pretty much standard. WROOONG!! After a couple more instances, the Feds got involved and did some random inspections of aircraft that were signed off as having the AD accomplished. They found that the harnesses were not properly secured, thus causing American and other operators to ground the fleet and re do the inspection. Small mistake, Big impact.....

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Speaking as someone with experience working around the airlines, and many years around aircraft, there is NO problem with any of the planes being grounded. Southwest had some issues with skipping inspections and shortcutting maintenance, and the FAA inspector assigned to them let them get away with it. The other airlines are jumping on the inspections before the FAA comes at them to ensure that they don't face the same fines Southwest did.

American and Delta have grounded their MD-80s for wiring inspections that may or may not have done right. But it requires a grounding of the planes to complete them, as it takes several days per plane.

United grounded their 747s for a couple of days to ensure records and inspections were up to date, and then grounded the 777s because a check that is done in preflight inspections, and is required to be done in deeper checks wasn't done in the deeper checks. The checks are done every day when they check the planes before the first flight, but to ensure the FAA didn't nail them they grounded them to perform the checks.

Southwest has faced Millions of dollars in fines, at a time when the airlines can't AFFORD to pay that much money. Three airlines shut down last week in bankruptcy.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mizzu

UNBELIEVABLE!

Great post with great information. Again the thread was just a musing, kind of like what I used to see a lot on these forums where people threw ideas out there about a possible unexplained reason for something or an alternate to the official story.

While I am receptive to the official story and the great detail in some of the replies, the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if there is something else happening.

Again, great replies and if the mods feel like shutting this down thats cool with me. I just think talking about possibilities of conspiracies and what not is part of the spirit of ATS!
All in good conversation!

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Trance Optic

hmmmm....I can't go with 'unskilled workers'. I took 6 months of Aircraft Maintenance in a community college that was 3rd in the nation as being the best for getting an degree in the field.

As far as I know, and correct me if i'm wrong if someone that holds a license, anyone that works on a airline, needs to be certified/licensed to even work on an airline; let alone inspect it~!

My take; maybe the price of fuel is so high for the airlines that they can't afford to fly the airlines unless they are full so they cancel them

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Honolulu Community College's A&P program is a two year degree that costs a LOT of money. The first thing you have to buy is a $2000 tool kit for the class.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
In the "old days", an A&P was required or at least desired. In today's labor market the airlines and repair facilities are allowed to have up to 20 "trainee" mechanics or in today's terms "technicians", per Licensed mechanic. In this scenario, the A&P is the supervisor. Many A&P schools are 2 years long in order to fulfill the experience requirement for the A&P license. Many schools take advantage of students by overcharging and having requirements for tools and training materials that are conveniently available from suppliers on site. There are many avenues for attaining the license ranging from "Aviation High School in NYC to studying the study guides, fulfilling the experience requirement with military experience and taking the oral & practical exams. One thing that should be considered is that completing a course and passing a test does not a mechanic make..... I have worked with hundreds that I would not let fix my lawnmower.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I checked from Boeing.com that an MD-80 holds 5,840 US gal. of course not all flights are going to burn up this amount of fuel, but for the sake of argument, assuming they did (and I'm not including the SWA & DAL groundings and fuel amounts) let's calculate the amount of fuel that was not burnt up to provide fast and cheep travel to American passengers:

5,840 x 1000flights = 5,840,000 us gal. saved.
5,840 x 900 flights = 5, 256,000 us gal. saved.

for a total of 11,096,000 us gal. of Jet A. saved.

Suppose Jet fuel is $3.33 a gal, that translates to $36,949,680.00 that was not payed out for fuel. To bad we don't have the actual revenue that was lost...or will they all just get re-routed and vouchers on later flights? Either way it's likely American will get most of what they already collected.

My question is, this must have had an impact of sorts on the supply of fuel, and thus effected the price such that it would go down (simple supply vs. demand excuse that the oil companies constantly give us). Did anyone see...uh, was this the case?

Probably just a drop of water in an olympic sized swimming pool I suppose. Well, it was a bad day for the airlines and stranded spoiled rotten passengers (you see them on the tv babbling on saying things like "I had to wait in line for two hours...I don't want coffee and donuts, I want my flight" reminds me of the fat girl from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory LOL), but a better day for the earth's atmosphere.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
im new to this site, but not to the ideas being tossed around on it, and here's my opinion. take it for what you will, as i have no concrete evidence to back it up, but i have faith in my own observations. that being said...

if the alleged illuminati takeover is legitimate, then one needs to consider that an immoblized population is an easy population to monitor. due to the nature of american revolutionary rhetoric and the effect it has on today's population, the gov't cant just start closing doors on us. they have to make us want to shut the door behind us. that being said, gas prices have been on the incline, very rapidly as of lately. 911 accomplished two goals: it justified (in the eyes of the general public) military action against whoever washington blamed, and it made americans weary to travel by air, essentially killing two birds with one stone. fast forward through all the ensuing airport security BS and you have a population that is quickly losing its desire to travel by air, and f*ck driving that far. fast forward a bit further to today and you have the major airline powerhouse companies grounding all sorts of flights, costing them significant portions of their dwindling profits. these flights have been grounded for safety reasons might i add, making americans even less eager to travel. add in the even higher gas costs and you have this: gas prices have more than doubled since 911, the airline industry's profits have suffered multiple fatal blows, the american population's confidence in air travel has suffered multiple fatal blows (in conjunction with the same incidents that have cost the airlines so much), and what do you have? a population willing to be immobile for reasons of safety and convenience, two things americans hold very dear. its just my opinion, but, if the illuminati WAS behind 911, it is certainly paying off

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
With four smaller airlines completely folding up shop in the last month plus all of these cancellations "for inspections" one cannot feel that something is up that is far more than maintenance problems in the case of American Airlines or fuel prices being too high in the case of the four that went belly up.

Of course, it could just be a very strange confluence of events...

But if feels like some kind of an operation ...

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
If it was an operation then I could think of a plane MUCH better to use than an MD-80. An MD-80 is a small narrowbody that's relatively light and doesn't carry many passengers.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
If it was an operation then I could think of a plane MUCH better to use than an MD-80. An MD-80 is a small narrowbody that's relatively light and doesn't carry many passengers.

Actually, if there was some sort of operation going on, it would make perfect sense to use the MD80 because they would lose less revenue, with fewer passengers.

Whenever the fuel price goes up, the airlines always suffer. As soon as gas prices starting rising astronomically, I knew we would see a fair amount of airlines going under. And that is exactly what's happening.

I used to work for the airlines and one thing is for sure: They would NEVER cancel these many flights unless it was something very dire. What that is, I don't know. But perhaps the most suspicious thing of all is that the CEO said he takes "full responsibility" for the grounding. Now when was the last time you heard a CEO say anything remotely like that?

I wouldn't be suprised if American went under very soon.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
Or what if they were doing something to the plains to actually stage some kind of attack. Scary thought.

Ama

thats very scary indeed, and could happen, I wish i had my own flying saucer.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
They're probably retrofitting them with explosives and remote controls while they're grounded. That way, when they catch... I mean march Osama BinLaden out of his CIA office for Bush's exit from the whitehouse to show "Hey! we got him! GWB was right after all! The war on terror worked!" Then they can simultaneously detonate airliners across the U.S. and blame it on the Martyrs who support OBL and continue their war.

link   
Yikes! Double post. Sorry!

[edit on 10-4-2008 by kaspermartyrphantom]

link   
AHHH! Triple post! Death to me!
(dont press the post button more than once. Have patience... the page WILL load!)

[edit on 10-4-2008 by kaspermartyrphantom]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
They are all failing massive inspections. Plus a couple airlines have gone bankrupt.

I believe the biggest inspections failed are landing gear and electric wiring.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hybridx

Well, last time there was a massive threat towards the safety of the public regarding airlines, the government didn't do a damned thing.

I think the airlines are more scared about getting the proverbial poop sued out of them if one of their planes fell apart in mid-air. The airlines are strapped for cash, and just one plane going down could signal the end of whichever carrier it was.

I wouldn't read too much into it, as there are some quite obvious reasons as to why they'd do this.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join