It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milky Way Has Appetite For Galaxies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Milky Way Has Appetite For Galaxies

www.news.com.au

A TEAM of Australian researchers has discovered that the Milky Way galaxy has been eating its neighbours.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Intresting Find i would like to see the pictures thay have found of the milky way galaxy eating away its lil naigbours or big its kind of intresting how thay can find things like this out like there are 1 million dillion trillion things out there like its amazing how thay can find out one lil thing that is happening out there.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Update!

Dr Stefan Keller and researchers from the Australian National University have found that a large band of stars at the edge of the galaxy were ripped from the nearby smaller Sagittarius dwarf galaxy.

The finding is documented in the latest issue of the Astrophysical Journal.

"The Sagittarius dwarf is a cosmic lightweight weighing 10,000 times less than our Milky Way," Dr Keller said.

"It has ventured too close to our galaxy and is now getting stretched out and slowly torn apart, a bit like spaghetti being wound round a fork."

Dr Keller and his team made the discovery by searching over 15,000 images of the sky looking for a very rare type of star known as an RR Lyrae.

Source

Star wars ... Aussie scientists have discovered that our Milky Way galaxy is slowly tearing off the stars of a neighbouring smaller galaxy and slowly devouring it, as seen in this artist's impression

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Yeah there has been a few threads about the Milky Way merging with the Sag. Dwarf galaxy. Which convinced some members we (our solar system) are actually apart of Sag. Dwarf. If I recall right that is..

Anyways i'll link to those threads when I find them.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Well .. Due to the ecliptic direction our Solar Plasma Heliopause is pointed towards..

It certainly does look like we are part of the Sag dwarf belt.. and we are moving through the equatorial plane of the Milky Way very soon.

2012.. ooooohhh

Well it is interesting timing to say the least... The Mayan certainly had celestial movements down pat!..

Although at the scales we are talking about Gravity... has nothing to do with it.

Gravity based cosmology is bankrupt.. and will be known to future generations of humans (if we survive long enough).. in the same breath as flat earthers.. and earth centered cosmology.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Yeah there has been a few threads about the Milky Way merging with the Sag. Dwarf galaxy. Which convinced some members we (our solar system) are actually apart of Sag. Dwarf. If I recall right that is..

Anyways i'll link to those threads when I find them.

There is so much out there these days its like growing and growing its so amazing to me there are millions and trillions of other worls like ours with diffrent things on them

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SaadAdam

Funny, Saad, i've got an appetite for Miky Ways!!! lol

But i don't like my neighbors eating MY Milky Ways!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FRIGHTENER

Funny, Saad, i've got an appetite for Miky Ways!!! lol

But i don't like my neighbors eating MY Milky Ways!!!

Yeh i dont though i hate those milky ways thay sell now days or anyday i dont like sweets
but i certenly dont like my naigbours eating away my home

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Imagine a milky way candy bar eating a twix car bar and then a snickers because ti was still hungry and it couldn't wait....lololol

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by adkchamp
Imagine a milky way candy bar eating a twix car bar and then a snickers because ti was still hungry and it couldn't wait....lololol

In a way its wierd but seeying that these things i nspace are somethings up and it is freaky i dont know but are these things in space mulyplying like sperm? as this happens maybe thay are.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
this gives new meaning to the lyric

"The universe is Hostile, so impersonal...devour to survive so it is, so its always been"

hmmm

Very interesting to see this!!!

Now, all the talk of space and candy bars, makes me hungry.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
And in a couple of billion years, the Milky Way will suffer the same fate at the hands of the much larger Andromeda Galaxy. Too bad that its so far out into the future. I'd imagine that it'll be a heck of a sight in the night sky for a few million years before it happens.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I remember reading somewhere that in a few billion years the Andromeda galaxy and Milky Way are set to collide almost perpendicularly. I've got no idea which is actually swallowing the other, but it's pretty fascinating. And supposedly there's a lot of cosmic events to be expected from the collision, should be a pretty cool show for anyone who knows how to get to the Restaurant At the End of the Universe.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Chiiru

In fact, I always figured that always had a double meaning, and galaxy-eating was one of the meanings Tool was getting at

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by adkchamp

LoL ! Star!

No, No, that was ME gobbling up all the Milky Ways! and all Saad's, too,
since he don't like sweets... i'll take 'em!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   

No, i hope our homes don't get gobbled up!

You don't like sweets, huh? too bad, but you never tried my brownies!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chiiru
this gives new meaning to the lyric

"The universe is Hostile, so impersonal...devour to survive so it is, so its always been"

hmmm

Very interesting to see this!!!

Now, all the talk of space and candy bars, makes me hungry.

Space is something we can know to a extent of knowing it we can never find out really til lthe edge of space its freaky its like growing bacteria on the hand

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I remember reading somewhere that in a few billion years the Andromeda galaxy and Milky Way are set to collide almost perpendicularly. I've got no idea which is actually swallowing the other, but it's pretty fascinating. And supposedly there's a lot of cosmic events to be expected from the collision, should be a pretty cool show for anyone who knows how to get to the Restaurant At the End of the Universe.

yeh i think i saw this somewere also were thay coldie and make a bigger looking milky way like a swirl style look i saw it somewere on a satelite site that is in space

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

reply to post by adkchamp

LoL ! Star!

No, No, that was ME gobbling up all the Milky Ways! and all Saad's, too,
since he don't like sweets... i'll take 'em!!!

GOBBLE GOBBLE away yukkie sweets make u feel wierd ewwwwww

yeh not a fan never will be maybe once in a month a couple then thats all.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

No, i hope our homes don't get gobbled up!

You don't like sweets, huh? too bad, but you never tried my brownies!

Imagine! the earth was gobbled that would be #ing freaky slowly like a chunk out of an apple and u can actualy see it then it makes a huge new beach beach

top topics

join