It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 "Black-out button"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Pretty cool..................A friend of mine at Dyess AFB told me about this, and I was amazed!

Taken from

lighthousepatriotjournal.wordpress.com...

They’re a titanium and carbon fiber dagger. They’re so advanced that if their on-board locator is switched off even our own satellites can lose track of them. They’re the first military aircraft ever built that is equipped with a “black-out button”. What that means is this. The best conditioned fighter pilots are capable of maintaining consciousness up to in the vicinity of 15+ G. The Raptor is capable of making 22+ G. turns. If some day an adversary builds a missile that is capable of catching up to one of these airplanes and a Raptor pilot sees that a strike is imminent, he hits the “B.O.B.” and the airplane makes a virtual U-turn, leaving the missile to pass right on by. They know that in the process he’ll temporarily lose consciousness, so the Raptor then automatically comes back to straight and level flight until he wakes back up.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
woops...........Sorry mod..this should be over in Aviation.

Thanks

[edit on 2-4-2008 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I seriously doubt that any human can sustain 15G for over a few seconds or so, not to mention suffer serious organ damage.

I don't know about this one, seems far-fetched. But hey you never know.

If it were true, than more power to the raptor pilots for it.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I always understood that the maximum sustained G a human can withstand with a G-Suit is 9/10G. 15+ seems rather fanciful as do air combat manouvres of 22G. If the aircraft has to perform several of these manouvres (it would have to to avoid the missile) then the pilot won't survive and pilots are worth much more than airframes.

The implication that the F-22 can outrun any existing missile:

If some day an adversary builds a missile that is capable of catching up to one of these airplanes...

Completely undermines the article, all modern air forces have AAMs capable of splatting a Raptor: they can travel much faster and don't have to worry about G whatsoever. Air combat manouvres do not defeat misssiles, counter measures do.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
It is a interesting idea thats been around for awhile to do something like this but the problem isn't if the body can handle 17g but how quickly the pilot can recover and take control again before the next possible missile comes streaking in.

Assuming that the "U-turn" is a turn on the horizontal axis like the name implies then there is testing to show that of course a +G or eye balls in turn is easier to with stand and that the human body can with stand up to 10-12g with vision intact and remaining conscious but above 14g the pilots vision will darker to the point of uselessness with a max tolerance of 17g being demonstrated.

To touch on the initial point of the ability of the pilot to recover its been tested that a pilot under 15g of stress will regain sight/function and be able to recover a plane as soon as the stress is released. So really it would seem to not be any slower of a recovery then a normal 9g turn.

I haven't seen data on 22g though and any info on that would be great. Also here is a pdf of research done by NASA into G-forces that I pulled a lot of this info from.
ntrs.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Also interesting to note that pilots in the Red Bull Air Race reportedly exceed 10 g for seconds during turns, occasionally surpassing 12 g.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This "Black out Button" claim is a joke and is disregarded by virtually all in the industry; I would not take it seriously.

Also, there have been several threads here about G tolerances.

I'll sum up the main points.

Currently a standard pilot should be able to withstand and sustain ~9G's with a proper G suite and stress techniques.

Both pilots and the aircraft can withstand instantaneous G's over that figure without blackout or death.

There is a video of an F-15 in distress withstanding instantaneous forces over 12G's.

The human body, if properly seated can withstand tens of G's.

The amount of instantaneous G's an aircraft can withstand would depend on a lot of factors. However for most front line high performance fighter aircraft the failing point should be somewhere in the mid to high teens.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'm surprised no one has caught on to the obvious downside to such a feature -

They know that in the process he’ll temporarily lose consciousness, so the Raptor then automatically comes back to straight and level flight until he wakes back up.

So...... the first missile misses, but the second and third missiles (that the adversary fired in ripple effect 15 seconds apart) have a sitting duck as a target?

Great job.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

Really? Did you read my post?

Originally posted by Canada_EH
It is a interesting idea thats been around for awhile to do something like this but the problem isn't if the body can handle 17g but how quickly the pilot can recover and take control again before the next possible missile comes streaking in.

I'd think that is what you where getting at with your post. Also if you continue to read the post I go on to explain that the pilot can regain control/leaves black out milli seconds after the gs subside as proven in NASA testing in the pdf linked

[edit on 2-4-2008 by Canada_EH]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

OK so it isn't and interesting idea thats been around for awhile. Its a interesting joke thats been around for awhile. Either way I knew I had heard about this before

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Id do recall in one of my books on the F-117 that after a few crashes due to pilot diorientation, there is a button they can push that will command the craft to level out and fly upwards. This is not intended as evasive manuvers rather a recovery type system.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Isn't true that setting Auto Pilot on some commercial aircraft will do the same thing?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
reply to post by FredT

Isn't true that setting Auto Pilot on some commercial aircraft will do the same thing?

Yes I think many have a failed landing go around button but Im not 100% sure.

I wanted to add I have never read anywhere that the F-22's airframe was stressed for 22G manuvers. Does anybody else have that number?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

In all likely hood the max G load of the plane could be classified but there may be early testing info etc thats available for info along those lines. May be worth looking into.

And after a bit of searching.

Static loads testing on Aircraft 3999 begins after the airplane is placed into a static testing fixture. The fixture allows loads to be applied to various parts of the airplane at varying degrees to test its structural strength under highly controlled and closely monitored conditions. Generally, these loads are applied to simulate loads experienced in actual flight.

In steps, the static test article is taken to the aircraft's load limit first; that is, the design limit of the structure. In the 'ultimate test' the structure will be taken to 150 percent of its load limit. Successful completion clears Aircraft 4003 to demonstrate maximum loads in flight.

So it sounds like f we want to track down more info the airframes that would of been used for testing are listed in the above paragraphs.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by Canada_EH]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Airframe 3999 during testing.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

Regarding G-Forces, Human Occupants in upright positions have been
able to withstand 50 G+ in car crashes with little injury.

F1 & Nascar Drivers have had G-forces up to 112 G's applied with
only relatively minor injury due to their safety gear and head restraints.

So for very small periods of time it IS possible to survive relatively
unscathed at around 100 G's of deceleration.

I have heard on the rumour mill that by a combination of techniques such
gel-filled G-Suits, reclined seating and something called "Body Cavity
Pre-Compression" that SUSTAINED Acceleration G's in the 40G+ range
has been successfully resisted by human operators.

I think I have an inkling of what "Body Cavity Pre-Compression" means
and that is to either fill the chest or other body cavities with a highly
pressurized gaseous medium such as what divers do with Tri-Mix/Helium
mixes when deep diving to 600 feet or more.

The key to G-force resistance is to prevent your internals (heart, aorta,
brain, lungs, etc. ) from ripping apart or hitting the internal cavity walls
is to fill them with some sort of gas or liquid filling or by compressing the
size of the cavities so the internal organs do not bounce & jiggle about
or rip from their moorings.

My rumour mill friends have hinted about esoteric R&D projects
that involve immersing pilots in liquid mediums or filling the insides
of their bodies with a pressurized gas (and EVEN liquid!)
so as to resist High-G maneuveuring environments for SUSTAINED
periods of MANY hours!

If I can dive to 330 feet (10 atmospheres) using Tri-Mix
you'd think some egghead could fill your body cavities with
something to prevent your inside from jostling around.

I do wonder though is HOW you pressurize your cranial cavity
to resist High-G's?

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I Justed wanted to clear something about my above post as a later
review of it made me realize it said things I didn't actually mean to say.

1) Deep divers do NOT fill their body cavities with Tri-Mix/Helium
mixed gases when deep diving to resist G-forces - They BREATHE
tri-mix/helium to EQUALIZE pressure with the 10 to 25 atmospheres
at depths up to 600 feet so their internals don't get crushed
by the water pressure. So again deep diving with Mixed Gases
has NOTHING to do with G-force reduction.......!!!!

2) What I meant to say is that there ARE methods espoused in some circles
and seemingly experimental evidence to suggest that filling internal body
cavities with liquid mediums or by COMPRESSING those body cavities
by some means can prevent the organs from being ripped from their
moorings and/or prevent those same organs from rattling around
within their respective body cavities.

3) It has also been suggested to me that those methods can prevent
G-force damage on all-axis maneuvers (i.e. positive and negative
G-forces) at ranges up to and even above 40G's for SUSTAINED
periods.

4) As per my above question, how would they fill the cranial cavity
with a non-viscuous enough liquid so that the brain doesn't get rattled
around at Hi-G's in the 40G+ range?

I mean, I can see how they could fill the internal chest cavity and lungs
with breathable fluids (i.e. Oxygenated Perfluorocarbons) but how
would we prevent Traumatic Brain Injury if the brain can't be stabilized
within a pressurized medium?

I offer Mucho Apologies for my writing mistakes....

But I would love to see other comments on how to prevent G-force damage
to our bodies using current medically based pressurization methodologies
to stabilize our organs within a liquid or gaseous medium.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Naboo the Enigma

Text
Maneuvers can indeed be used to counter a missile attack. I know a little about this.......197 missions in Viet Nam in an F-4C.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
There has also been smoe new testing of a liquid G suit allowing pilots to sustain higher G loads then with a conventional suit. The Video of the F-15 sustains more then 32'gs if i remember right and possibly more but the magnetic tape was pulled off its recording device from the high G loads and was unable to record the g's for a moment. it also bent the hell out of that planes airframe. I believe this blackout button is being confused with an automatic system that levels the plane out if the pilot loses consciousness over a period of time. u can find a video of that system being tested aswell. its actually quite funny cause u get to see a pilot intentionally knocking himself out with high G manuevers! I would like to also add that if an f-22 raptor pilots finds himself actually being fired at by a missile he has made a major error in his flight plane, the plane is built to avoid ever being seen and the tactics used take this into account greatly

[edit on 20-12-2008 by TheScale]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

Great! So now the next advance in missiles will a tandem pair. You send up at the F22, when it jinks and side steps the first it will met by the following missile.

Easier to put the pilot in a coma in the aircraft and let a robot fly it at 15+ G indefinitely.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join