It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voting for Obama because You are Black and He is Black makes you...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Racist.

Voting for Clinton based on gender, or McCain based on age, race, gender are equal examples of the behavior I am referencing.

I have spoken to some African American individuals who concede their vote for Sen. Obama is based on his race. I have seen comments by some African American individuals who see Sen. Obama as their personal savior and a form of racial justice. These are strictly emotional motivations, stemming from a deep insecurity and they are damaging the democratic process for the rest of America.

Such people should be ashamed of themselves. If Sen. Obama is indeed elected, that may come to fruition. When it is seen the color of a man's skin plays no part on his vunerability to corruption, the excitement and satisfaction will quickly evaporate.

Disbelief, guilt, resentment. It will be a hard lesson, but one that many of you desperately need.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I can see what you mean, and I know you're not going to get it because I'm on your ignore list, but I don't think it comes down to racist. Many blacks HAVE been treated poorly throughout their lives, so they might view this as a victory for them.

Of course, the same thing goes for Hillary.

But I'm sure there are still SEVERAL people out there who you HAVE described perfectly; People voting because they ARE racist and sexist. You can't say that for everyone who votes black or feminine because they also are.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Sure some will. That's a given. Not a whole lot you can do about it, other than try to educate people to make rational choices as to who or what to vote for come November. Not sure that make 'em racist or sexist, though...people choose what's familiar and comfortable. Doesn't make them racist or sexist, just ordinary folks.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Yes, and let's not forget about how many people WON'T vote for him because of his color, or how many people are voting McCain for the same reasons.

I don't think it's quite fair to single out Obama.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Sure it is. Choosing a man over others due to the color of his skin is a definition of racism.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

Does voting for Obama because you're a Democrat exhibit the same, or does voting for McCain because you're a Republican also exhibit the same?

Isn't it true that people vote for someone BECAUSE THEY CAN IDENTIFY WITH THEM in some way?

That doesn't make someone a bigot or a racist. Maybe they vote for someone because they have PRIDE in their heritage. I see no problem with that.
When Jackie Robinson became the first modern day African American to play in the majors, African Americans rooted for him. I believe they did that because a milestone was reached, namely breaking the barrier in the major leagues.

Obama is breaking a new barrier. A milestone has been reached. Although I am not an African American, I take pride in America finally seeing PAST someone's color or religion or creed, and voting for someone because of his/her ideals and ideas.
That, in fact, is the supreme opposite of racism.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

It's more than that, when you vote for a party than if you vote for a race. A party has standards that are wide spread and well known. They talk of nothing else, but the issues. A race of people can have separate issues. For example... my grand-dad is a die hard republican. His entire life, he's voted for no one but republicans. He has done so, because they stand for the issues he holds dear. It wouldn't matter if the Republican candidate was male/female/white/black/Asian/alien... as long as it was republican. I am an independent. I look for what I feel is needed by the country at the time. I don't care if it's male/female/white/black/Asian/alien as long as it meets my criteria when it comes to the issues. We are the same exact race, but we have different standards with who would be the best candidate for the job.

To vote for someone due to color/age/gender is being biased. If this were a job, and he was being hired or not due to those things, it would be against the law. So, why do people do it?

Doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   

If this were a job, and he was being hired or not due to those things, it would be against the law. So, why do people do it?

As a matter of fact, in some cases, what you suggest is against the law, is JUST THE OPPOSITE. Affirmative action hiring, which has become prevalent since the 1971 Griggs ruling, has forced many companies to hire BASED ON RACE.

This is still a free country. People are free to vote for whomever they wish, for whatever reason. All I am saying, if you read my post closely, is that people tend to associate with people they share a commonality with. That commonality can be anything from music preference, sex, race, ethnic origin, political views. It has NOTHING to do with bias, it just has to do with human nature. Look at friends you have. Why are they your friends? I don't need your answer. You need to answer it to yourself.

Yes, of course, there are people that vote against someone because of race. That does not mean that people that vote for someone because of race, or sex, or political party are doing it because of bigotry.

By the way, if your grandfather voted for someone solely because he/she was a republican, and he lived in South Carolina, he would have voted for Strom Thurmond, who was a strict segregationist. Does that make him a bigot? I would hope not. However, many people might think that he is. Your suggestion is a very slippery slope.

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
You know, I wouldn't put too much into what StevenR ever has to say about Obama.

Let's not forget, he did start this thread:

Barack Obama will be the antichrist

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Does voting for Obama because you're a Democrat exhibit the same, or does voting for McCain because you're a Republican also exhibit the same?

This statement tells us you have no conception of what racism is. Perhaps you are lacking certain life experience, or intend to defend Barack's supporters no matter what?

Isn't it true that people vote for someone BECAUSE THEY CAN IDENTIFY WITH THEM in some way?

Yes. Why would a black person feel compelled to identify with Barack Obama so passionately and irrationally? Ergo, because he is black to be fixated on him? Are your cogs turning now?

That doesn't make someone a bigot or a racist. Maybe they vote for someone because they have PRIDE in their heritage.

It is the disassociation from the rest of viable candidates without intelligent assessment that makes them the bigot or racist. It is their process of thought. Are people perfect in your world?

Although I am not an African American, I take pride in America finally seeing PAST someone's color or religion or creed, and voting for someone because of his/her ideals and ideas.

How on earth could you speak this way of people who openly vote for black skin regardless?

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
You should never vote based on race. Always vote for the smarter nominee. This time around, African americans vote based on their race and that shows ignorance.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
ah, another thread where people want to chastise blacks for racism ~ in the united states! at best this is just irrelevant. crying about blacks support of obama when the whole world is changing as we speak. all of you, do yourselves a favor, click on recent threads and look at what is going down. no time for whining about stuff like this. too many real issues to worry about. bye bye!

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

You don't know my grand-dad, he would of been someone who voted for McCain (and btw he's in tx not sc).

I don't even understand why the black people can feel they can identify with a 1/2 black/1/2 white, raised by his white grandparents (but you don't ever see them on the news) in Hawaii. He hasn't been met with most of the struggle those of that race have seen. To assume he has is rather ignorant, wouldn't you agree?

I can understand why you pick your friends, and your right... it's about common ground. But we aren't picking our friend, we are picking someone to run the United States.

Call me crazy, but I don't think Affirmative Action has a place in some careers (like medicine or politics). Would you want the emergency room your stuck in to have a competent doctor or an incompetent one who fell with in the rules of Affirmative Action. If your life was in danger, wouldn't you want the most qualified and capable person? I would. Who ever gets voted in this election will have American Lives in their hands. If you vote solely on race, your taking an incredible risk and may find yourself dis-satisfied later.

I'm all for voting for the best candidate, and if you think that's Obama, good on you. That's what this process is about. DO NOT VOTE FOR SOMEONE BECAUSE THEY ARE A PARTICULAR RACE/GENDER/AGE.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
In Mississippi 23% of blacks responded to polls that race was an important factor in their decision. Then 9 of 10 went in there and pulled the lever for brother O.

The news couldn't bring itself to say that 90% of blacks voted for the black guy. What wold we all think?

In my experience, I've met many more racist negroes then caucasians. This is the first time that experience is large enough for us all to share.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Has it occured to anyone yet that maybe, just maybe..., people are voting for Obama because they plain like the guy? Not because of his race? Oh, I quite realize that some are, odds are, however, that just as many aren't.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

This statement tells us you have no conception of what racism is. Perhaps you are lacking certain life experience, or intend to defend Barack's supporters no matter what?

It is you that has no understanding of what racism IS NOT.

As for lack of life experience, my adopted children had been a target of racism for most of their growing life. Fortunately, now that they are adults, that has pretty much ended. There is a big difference in name calling and hatred because of race, and associating with someone that you have a common bond with.

Several of you on this post have said that you don't agree with Affirmative action. That attitude smells of racism in the highest order.

It is obvious that you cannot have a discussion without attacking people and their life.

You should feel honored. You are only the second person I have hit the ignore button for. I don't need to listen to someone like you.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I object to the basic premise of this thread, because if Obama was white and Hillary was a man, none of this would be an issue. But because Obama is black and because Hillary is a woman, we look for fault among voters who cast their ballot.

Voting for Obama because he is black is not racism. It is prejudicial, but it is not racism. Racism is about power, not just the act of prejudging. On this instance, we are discussing votes being casted for the individual based on skin color. Racism doesn't apply.

Does this same standard apply for individuals who cast their ballot on various parameters? If my emphasis as a voter was on education reform, and I cast my vote for someone with a strong platform on my ideals and only that, is that not prejudicial? In a sense, the whole damn system is prejudicial because none of us really know. We are prejudging these candidates on their platforms and assuming who would be best suited for the position. None of us truly know if Obama, Clinton, or McCain would be a better president. We can only sit and wonder.

Shaming a black man or woman for voting for a black candidate is wrong because nobody shames white voters and white politicians when they ignore the facts.

As I've stated, the whole damn process is prejudicial.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
Always vote for the smarter nominee.

Yet for some reason, Jedi, you back Hillary.

Hmmm...

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Several of you on this post have said that you don't agree with Affirmative action. That attitude smells of racism in the highest order.

Being that you have adult children, I'm sure you know this already... however here is what Affirmative action in the US is and means to those who might be unfamiliar. Courtasy of Wiki... en.wikipedia.org...

Affirmative action in the United States is a policy or a program intended to promote access to education, employment, or housing among certain designated groups (typically, minorities or women). The stated motivation for affirmative action policies is to redress the effects of past discrimination and to encourage public institutions such as universities, hospitals and police forces to be more representative of the population. It is commonly achieved through targeted recruitment programs, by preferential treatment given to applicants from designated groups, and in some cases through the use of quotas.

That does not indicate the best candidate, and yes, I have a problem with that. Don't get me wrong, if the best candidate is a minority or a woman, then by all means they should get the job. But if you have two identical candidates.... one male and one female (or white or black or anything else that works for this example) with identical credentials and identical experience and identical references, I think to choose one due to gender or race is wrong... wither it's white or black, female or male. I'd be more interested in both being hired in a temporary stance and see who preforms better... or issue a test and see who would get the higher score.

I don't see how wanting the best possible candidate for any job would be racist. Being the best is color blind, it means you put all your efforts forward and has done everything to succeed.

I am questioning if you understand the concept of racism. Racism is having a hatred towards a person due to their race. That's the patient going to the doctor and saying "I don't want him seeing me cause he's black/Indian/white/female/male/alien." not looking at a doctor's credentials and experience and saying "i don't want to see him cause he's had 10 malpractice suits against him in the past 10 months."

We have gotten horribly off topic though. My opinion is, read about what the candidates for the presidency stand for, and then judge based on experience and stances who is the best for the job. If you feel Obama is the best candidate then vote for him. If you feel Hil Clinton is the best, then vote for her. If you like McCain and think he's the best, then by all means... vote for him. Popular vote wins who gets the delegates in your state, and who gets nominated. This is the democratic process. Choosing who you think is the best for the job, and personally i think choosing a person by the color of their skin goes against MLKjr vision. His wise words, I will leave you in closing.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
Martin Luther King Jr, I have a Dream speech.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

I see where you're going with this...

Voting for anyone based on physical appearance is wrong, however is it racism? I don't know.

Ignorance perhaps.

Many women have been quoted in the media supporting Hillary because she's a woman.

That's not a very good reason to vote for someone.

Same goes for having the first 1/2 African President.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join