It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does E.T. mean the end of religion ?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
By the way, great posts everybody! I'm really enjoying this thread.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gofunk

No, space is static, time moves through space.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

But that's OK, Gofunk. God loves you anyway.

[edit on 1-3-2008 by MsSmartypants]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I think you'll find space is far from static, and it is impossible in our reality for time to move through anything, time is not a tangible object, saying time moves through space is like saying the road drives on a car. You still haven't answered my question, why does there need to be a creator, and how does time and space imply the need for a creator?

I am not looking for metaphors or ambiguous implications, I am looking for a direct explanation of why there needs to be a creator. If you can't explain it upfront and direct please tell me so that we can avoid a redundant argument.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
If Aliens landed on earth and made them selves known to the public I would tend to believe that there would be some People who Would worship them as gods. there would also be people like the hardcore religious guy in the book/movie "Contact" (the one that blew up the first transport in the name of god).

I do not believe it would bring the end of humans believing in god. Infact I believe that it would Strengthen our spiritual and religious beliefs.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Gofunk

Time is actually compressed energy the same as mass is compressed energy. We know E=mc2 energy =mass x the speed of light squared. Also energy = time(technically delta-time)x the speed of light squared. There are no "things" only energy in differing states of being. I believe if you follow time back further enough it eventually comes to a point, a beginning if you will. This beginning came into existence as a matter of will. Do you think existence just always was? If so please explain how that worked.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I think you need to verify your understanding of some of the facts regarding time and space.

You have still not answered my question, how does this imply the need for a creator?

Any creator is essentially an existence, therefore it can not precede the the beginning of existence. If existence requires a creator then does the creator not also require a creator ad infinitum?

The argument that nothing can exist without a creator also applies to the creator. To argue that existence has not always been implies that a creator could not always have been, since any creator is in essence an existence.

I personally believe that the big bang theory is the best explanation to date of how our known universe began and developed, however I do not believe the big bang is the be all end all explanation and I do not see evidence for the requirement of a creator.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to gofunk

Good point about who created God. You got me there. Most physicists today believe our universe is just one of many. They exist on what are called branes. These branes are parallel to each other and occasionally may bump into each other. Its at these points of interaction that physicists believe that universes come into existense and big bangs are occuring all the time. The Bible says that for now we see God as through a glass darkly but when we leave this existence we will know him in full. At that time I will ask Him how He was created. You've got me curious now. Hope I don't forget when the time comes.

[edit on 1-3-2008 by MsSmartypants]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Gofunk

This has to do with quantum physics at which the laws of relativety don't apply. Quantum physics says that anything that can happen does. This correlates with the Bibles statement that all things are possible with God. Its very confusing I know and not being a physicist I can't explain how it works. If you are truly interested go to the library and check out some books on quantum physics. And we sure are off topic. I hope no one minds.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I have sufficient interest in understanding of physics and quantum physics to know that your interpretation is flawed. For starters, Brane Cosmology is an unproven theory and one of many possibilities. Quantum physics does not say that anything that can happen does, you're misattributing the Many-worlds interpretation which in itself is only a theory and one of many.

Could you please answer my original question, why does there need to be a creator?

[edit on 1-3-2008 by Gofunk]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Gofunk

Because I have a personal relationship with Him and He is at work in my life and the lives of others all the time. Its a matter of faith, You know that. Just as your belief system or lack thereof is also a matter of faith on your part.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Gofunk

Time will tell which one of us is right. I hope its me.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   

And we sure are off topic. I hope no one minds.

almost seems like your doing it on purpose ?

I am a "knowitall"

hmmm...a know it all that dont know when to quit...

Good point about who created God. You got me there.

you mean to tell me, a know it all doesnt know the answer to this ?...

God is uncaused and uncreated - He simply exists.

www.gotquestions.org...
Who created God? Where did God come from?

nobody created God. God always was and always shall be. God is exempt from all of mans theory's.

Why are you all so ready to believe that whatever the "aliens" might tell us about God and our origins will be the truth?

He did just that some 2000 years ago and people still doubt. I think if He had just done that 5 minutes ago by tomorrow we would all be second guessing it.

you know i dont understand...one minute you think people would be easily influenced and not question it and then you say if Jesus showed up people would question it.... the next day... hmmm...

It would probably be the end of rreligion, though. That would be no great loss in my humble opinion.

no great loss ...
...wow.... just wow,.... how can someone with the beliefs and faith that you claim to have even dream of saying that ?

yes differences in religion can cause problems, but without it the sheeple would have a more difficult time in finding the true knowledge of God.

someone as faithful as you yourself claim should appreciate your religion.

For those of us who are truly searching for the Truth the exisitence of ETs would only bring us closer to our knowledge of our Creator.

pure speculation on your part... you have no way of knowing what the existence of E.T.'s would prove or acclimate.

spend some quiet time wrapping your brain around that thought.

[edit on 2-3-2008 by easynow]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I think you are misunderstanding my question. I am not asking if there is a creator or not, I am asking why does there need to be a creator?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Gofunk

I don't know if you're still here but just in case you check in... I read a book many years ago whose name escapes me, it was something to the effect of Proof for the existence of God or something similar and I have also read articles in the same vein which basically explained that it was if nothing else a matter of odds. The odds of a random uncontrolled explosion (big bang) leading not to chaos but instead to an intelligent searching organism capable of asking questions about the mechanics of why a Creator must exist are so astronomically large (pun intended) as to be virtually no chance at all.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Gofunk

Oh and I thought that by putting "knowitall" in quotation marks it would somehow indicate sarcasm. My bad.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by easynow

you know i dont understand...one minute you think people would be easily influenced and not question it and then you say if Jesus showed up people would question it.... the next day... hmmm...

someone as faithful as you yourself claim should appreciate your religion.

1.People are individuals. Some are easily influence. Some are hard to convince.

2.I have no religion. I have a personal relationship with our Creator.

[edit on 2-3-2008 by MsSmartypants]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
existence is infinite,what has been always has and will be.

we as mere primates live in a temporal,synchronic frame of mine,we find it impossible to comprehend the infinite.

we see things as cause and effect due to the psychology of your minds,its how we interperet the data which floods our minds.thus we see existence and we think,cause...there must be a beggining....when infact its always been here.

now our big bang,it is part of a larger chain of events i believe that could stretch back though an utterly unimaginable amount of cycles.for sure there are other universes formed by the same,similiar and differing methods.

our universe is not all creation,as our sun is not the only star,i believe there are an infinite number of universes,each one differing from the other.

i firmly believe the evolution of godlike beings is inevitable in any universe that sustains life for a prolonged period,now if there has been other universes in any shape or form that sustained such life prior to ours then i would reason there is a chance our universe was created by such beings.

i would say there are universes that have been created by sentient god like beings.yet i would say all of existence itself was not created,it has always been here and there.

first the egg of infinity,then the godlike chicken who breadeth other eggs!

[edit on 2-3-2008 by welivefortheson]

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

it's important that we pray (have communion with our Creator) and consult His Written Word

We are all sons and daughters of God but God does make a distinction of Jesus being " the only begotten Son of God".

I have no religion.

A Christian is a person who adheres to Christianity, a monotheistic religion centered on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as presented in the New Testament

en.wikipedia.org...
Christian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

are you not a Christian ?...

from what you have written in your posts, i would conclude that you are a Christian.

Christianity is a monotheistic religion centered on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth

en.wikipedia.org...
Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

thanks for your post but who are you adressing with it ?

i understand you believe in other universes but do you think E.T. will change or be the end of religion ?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join