It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would Society be like without fear?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
How about instead you enable them life and free will as much as some are allowed to swallow.

I can dig it.

If you are controlled by fear (then no) you don't have free will, your will is controlled by the will of that structure, whatever circumstance you left yourself in.

But make sure that will is of your making. Because you chose it, every single direct moment of it.

[edit on 25-2-2008 by menguard]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Good question
. Well today in class me and my peers were discussing how society would be without pain, fear, war, famine etc, cause we are reading this book that has to do with this question. We had different suggestions and some said if there were no fear society would not be that fun, cause think about it some people have a fear of rollercoasters it would not be that fun to ride them if we weren't crazy screaming on the rollercoaster, and others said what would be the point of life if we did not really have these fear. I think about it this way: God put us on this earth for a reason, i think it's a test, of how well we can handle these problems on our own, how well we can get along as a society and can we get over our fears.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Tati.12 please don't confuse FUN in the form of "scary" adrenaline rushes with real fear - and primarily the larger political fears instilled by crappy government as we know it.

Who can say how much overall fear can be reduced among humanity? I believe quite a lot. If we can only get rid of the collective (Borg-like) hive mentality vulture frenzies of governments, militaries, mafias and other gangs - where everyone is an equal, respectable individual - that would be immeasurable improvement.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by darcon
you cant just take the fear out of society now and expect it to work, because people wouldnt know how to act.

Exactly, people wouldn't know what to do. But their will be things guiding us through this process.

what things would be guiding us? how would you get people to follow these guides?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

How about a mass landing. I think that would wake a lot of people up. I am not talking hostility landing, but a peaceful one.
They will help us with this process.

[edit on 25-2-2008 by darcon]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
"They will help us with the process."

We must remember that it's possible the only way the unseen intelligence(s) can help us is by inspiring ordinary human beings.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Lightworth

And i am inspired. Are you, i can tell by your name that you are.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Thank you. I like to think I'm pretty inspired and even inspiring, I say with due humility... I hope the nonhumans come, like, yesterday, I'm just a bit more the pessimistic Deist these days. I hope I can get over it.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Lightworth

I was deprest at one time, even when knowing truth, but it passes. I will radiate love to you.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Thank you again, darcon. Love reciprocated... Was trying to not be a thread hog, but it appears the conversation might end here. Well, I'm pretty wrapped up in my therapeutic journals to spend too much time posting anyway. I believe I can keep enough faith/optimism for the cause of the new era. Very best wishes to you, darcon.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Hope you feel better.
Yes sorry O.P. for the off topic discussion.

The only thing to fear is fear itself.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by darcon

I dont mind, you guys werent fighting or saying anything really rediculous. I might have had a problem if the conversation would have turned like that.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I would hesitate to play the "devils advocate" in such a placid thread, but I think this question must be posed.

There is the widespread assumption that a society without fear is a society in which humans will treat one another with love.
I am inclined to disagree with this assumption. I give you the example of the human condition, which drives us to do wrong to one another for any host of reasons. Fear is one, but it is not the most dominant. Rich kids can and do end up becoming thugs and robbers. Not for the sake of fear, but for the sake of fun. Wrong is entertaining, and some are much more willing to commit wrongful acts, just for the sake of the entertainment.

People lie, cheat, steal, kill, rape, hurt, etc..... for no apparent reason. It's quite puzzling to assume that a fearless society will curb any of those, simply because fear is no longer a factor.

If anything, a fearless society would encourage such inhumane treatment of one another. Because most often, it is the fear of consequences that keeps potential jerks from becoming what they fantasize to become.

now then, I would not have posted this unless I believed there would be a good reply to it. Thus, i ask that my stance not be interpreted as combative or argumentative. I am simply inquisitive, curious, interested, etc...

[edit on 26-2-2008 by sickleye]

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Ending institutionalized fearmongering by officialdom (or as we know it), if possible, isn't the same as ending ALL bad thoughts, feelings, actions. The only true armed defenders of freedom (ADFs) should be local law enforcement officers. No one else... IMO. Sorry if that's rambling a bit.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
DEFINITION OF SOCIETY

"A society is a group of people joined together by mutual consent to deliberate, determine and act for a common goal."

Society CAN exist without fear. The problem is that we have been tricked into turning over control of us as a whole to those who are "Elite" ( a loose term) out of fear of the consequences that they created for us to keep us in line.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

KUDOS to you for posing this question.
When asked this..I could only speculate. It made me think harder. For that Iam grateful. Learning is a lifelong process and should be treated as such.
Life would truly be boring if we came into this world with all knowledge.
I believe that society..like reality..is all in the individual perception.
S&F for this thread.
Keep the gears of your mind churning.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by sickleye
If anything, a fearless society would encourage such inhumane treatment of one another. Because most often, it is the fear of consequences that keeps potential jerks from becoming what they fantasize to become.
[edit on 26-2-2008 by sickleye]

yes, this is my point exactly. we as a people have never known life without fear, and those who are jerks already, would, in my opinion, be even bigger jerks in a society where it would be easier to take advantage of unsuspecting people.

posted on Feb, 26 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

thanks. my mind, although some who know me may say other wise
is always in thought, and eager to compare my own thoughts to what others have to say.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join