It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling ALL Englishmen and Englishwomen to stand up for yourselves

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I am sick and tired of being castigated in my own country. I was born in London, the capital of England. I regard myself as being a Londoner but, I am English through and through and am proud of it.

Nowadays, under this Labour government I am called British [which of course I am] but, firstly, I am an Englishman.

As an Englishman, I demand the following:

1. That an English Parliament be built from which England can be governed fairly, by Englishmen and women, for the good of the English people;

2. That England be recognised as a Country in its own right with full voting powers in ALL referenda;

3. The English National Flag, the Cross of St. George, be flown from all government and county council buildings in England;

4. The People of England be allowed to celebrate St. George's Day as a National Holiday, with full pay;

5. Full and democratic Devolution for England;

6. The immediate withdrawal from the Barnett Formula;

7. The immediate implementation of an English Bill of Rights or a Constitution - bound in English Law, based on Magna Carta;

This is not meant to be offensive to our Northern Irish, Welsh or Scottish friends.

Far from it. Each of your countries has voted for devolution and you have your own Assemblies or Parliament.

We, here in England, are governed by Scotts for the Scotts, Welsh & N. Irish.

This is NOT fair or Democratic.

[edit on 19-2-2008 by fritz]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Does St. George's day have any other importance other than the celebration of St. George? I mean, isn't the celebration of a Saints day a religious thing? Why should a person have to celebrate a Saint if they are not religious?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
As an American, do you not celebrate the 4th of July?

The French have the Bastille Day, celebrated on 14th of July.

The Germans hold the 'Tag der Deutschen Einheit' or National Unity Day on 3rd October.

The Italians revere June 2nd as the 'Anniversary of the Founding of the Republic'.

The Welsh have St. David's Day, The Scotts have St. Andrew's Day whilst the Irish have St. Patrick's Day.

Does that answer your question?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Yes we have the 4th of July but the 4th of July isn't a religious holiday celebrating a Catholic Saint.

I apologize if I come across as insulting, I am not trying to me. It's just a question I have always pondered about the U.K. and the different countries Patron Saints.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

It is supposed to be an expression and display of our pride in all things English.

Incidentally, there is a little known, but growing, movement for England to re-adopt St Edmund as it's Patron Saint.
St Edmund was a true Englishman.

www.whitedragonflagofengland.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...

patronstedmund.blogspot.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
You are ALL missing the point!

I don't care who the Patron Saint of England was, is or will be! Nothing could be further from my mind, than the unelected unveilling of a new [old] saint.

All I want for England, is the right to celebrate 'somebody' who was or who is ENGLISH, who can pull the English people together as 'figurehead'!

As an Englishman, I WANT and DEMAND the same rights as those afforded to the Scotts, the Welsh and the Northern Irish by this bloody Labour Government.

I want my English National flag to fly above ALL government and county-council buildings, whether or not it is 'deemed' offensive to minorities.

This is MY national flag and I want it displaid for all to see in MY country - England!

[edit on 21-2-2008 by fritz]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
god the english are so demanding aren't they

thats a court jester from your english 15th centuary to remind you of the english times

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I assure you I am not missing the point.
I agree with the vast majority of what you have said; I just get sick of repeating myself and it's refreshing to see other people voice similair opinions.

By the way, incidentally, www.thefreedictionary.com... a new, but related subject.

[edit on 21-2-2008 by Freeborn]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to Freeborn[/url]

I sinserly hope youer not pulling me up for my ENGLISH or my spelling?

I would have you know I were brung up and taught to speak proppa!

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by fritz

Not at all Fritz, my spelling's hopeless, hence all the edit's in my posts. :shk:

Incidentally, Fritz?
There must be a story there?
A proud Englishman going by a very Germanic moniker?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Amen to the OrIgInAl pOsT....

We are so PC these days it hurts.... truly.... everything.

England only lives in name now.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Fritz, accept it mate, it's never gonna happen. At the rate this Labour government is letting people into the UK you'll be lucky to be able to hold on to your identity as a Brit, letalone as an Englishman.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I stood up.

I packed my bags.

And I buggered off.

Hong Kong.

No longer British.

Chinese in-fact.

Public transport that works.

Half decent tax system.

More choice than McDonalds for lunch.

Most People speak English (like England)

Good weather.

It's like England only better...

MonKey

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I'm a Rhode Islander, and I need all Rhode Islanders to stand up and speak out!

I DEMAND that:

1. People drape themselves in the Rhode Island flag at least once a week. It may be worn as a cape, or toga.

2. That everyone must own, as a pet at least 1 and no more that 36 Rhode Island Red chickens.

3. That although we are the smallest state in the United States we must be recognized as the most awesome state in the history of states.

4. The recognition of a new constitution, written by James Woods, based loosely on John Carpenter's Vampires.

Thanks for starting this thread. I needed to get that off my chest.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn[/url]

'Fritz the Cat' is the extreemley short answer.

Of course THAT would be a one line reply which I am not allowed to post so I am just padding out with utter balderdash and nonsense.

Of course my thanks must go to Rasobasi420 who posted the kind of typical reply that only an American could post on a a thread about ENGLAND and the ENGLISH.

Quite what he appears to be on about is quite beyond me and, at the risk of getting a warning from Mods [Super or otherwise]
, I would ask Rasobasi420 to keep his comments to himself.

[edit on 22-2-2008 by fritz]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
You are ALL missing the point!

I don't care who the Patron Saint of England was, is or will be! Nothing could be further from my mind, than the unelected unveilling of a new [old] saint.

All I want for England, is the right to celebrate 'somebody' who was or who is ENGLISH, who can pull the English people together as 'figurehead'!

Ummm... why not celebrate an event that made England great, rather than a person?

I'm just a dumb Yank from across the pond, but it seems really strange to me that the English don't have a national holiday celebrating the defeat of the Spanish Armada. I mean, honestly, England was pretty much a hole in the wall country of minor import before that fateful day when Spain decided to laden her galleons up with soldiers and try and invade and take England.

You were outnumbered, outgunned, and the fate of your nation rested on the balance of this battle. If you'd lost it, you'd have become a vassal-state of Spain.

Instead, Queen Elizabeth I, against all expectations, did a fantastic job of organizing the defense and dealing Spain not just a defeat, but a crushing blow that destroyed its power in the Atlantic, but cemented English authority as a Major world power at the time, and opened up the seas so that English ships needn't skirt the edges of the Atlantic in fear of Spanish ships.

If you must celebrate a person, celebrate Queen Elizabeth I, without whom, there wouldn't even BE an England. But in the words of Guy Fox, "it is better to celebrate the action than the man." Propose a day in honor of the British victory over the Spanish Armada, instead. It'd mean a lot more.

[edit on 2/22/2008 by thelibra]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
Of course my thanks must go to Rasobasi420 who posted the kind of typical reply that only an American could post on a a thread about ENGLAND and the ENGLISH.

Quite what he appears to be on about is quite beyond me and, at the risk of getting a warning from Mods [Super or otherwise]
, I would ask Rasobasi420 to keep his comments to himself.

Hmmm...Thought the thread was about 'Why my country/territory is awesome and how we should show it'

I'd think you might want an AMERICAN perspective on how it sounds. Again, just another 'dumb yank' but to me it sounds as if you are looking for an isolationist and somewhat xenophobic solution to whatever problems you think your country is facing.

To me, your post seems almost as ridiculous as mine. And if you didn't want an American opinion, then write your post in something other than English.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Hmmm...Thought the thread was about 'Why my country/territory is awesome and how we should show it'

No Rasobasi420, it most certainlt was NOT! It was a thread posted by an Englishman, that stated quite categorically what most English people are thinking if not actually saying, at the moment.

Our government - who are mostly Scotts, are treating we English like 3rd class citizens in OUR own country.

What I was expressing [apparently quite badly judging from the replies from non-UK residents] is the outrage we English are feeling at the moment because, amongst other things, we have to pay for everything yet in Scotland and Wales and N. Ireland they do not, because under the Barnett Formula, we English pay everything for them.

I very much doubt that we English would appreciate an American perspective at this moment in time because, and let's be honest, things are a little bit awry in the world mainly thanks to American perspective.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
comparing all American perspectives would be like comparing your perspective to that of someone from Scotland would it not? After all, you're all British.

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by fritz

When I first read your post Fritz I thought you were just a good old fashioned Englishman who was trying to hold onto the great culture and tradition that England has. But the more you post the more you sound like an angry misinformed Nationalist.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join