It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel shuts off fuel and food

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
uk.news.yahoo.com

GAZA (Reuters) - Gaza's main power plant began shutting down on Sunday due to a fuel shortage caused by Israel's closure of the Hamas-controlled territory's borders.

Kanaan Abeid, deputy chairman of the Palestinian Energy Authority in the Gaza Strip, said the power plant turned off one of its two turbines and the second would stop in the evening.

"There is no fuel coming in and we have no reserves," Abeid said. He estimated as many as one million Gaza residents would be affected.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20/1/08 by Harlequin]

[edit on 20/1/08 by Harlequin]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
And so it begins - Israel starts to kill 1.5 million people , slowly in the biggest outrage on this planet and quite literally qorse than Hitler.

They have closed the border to EU paid and UN approved shipments - turning them back at gunpoint

On Friday, Israel's Defence Ministry tightened its Gaza border closure, shutting all crossings to even U.N.humanitarian supplies.

"After two months of reductions, they're very low on fuel. It's only a question of hours," said a senior EU official involved in the fuel programme. The EU official said the last EU-funded fuel shipment was made on Thursday and no fuel was allowed in on Sunday.

and the most telling:

It is going to have a significant impact on the daily lives of hundreds of thousands of people in Gaza," said Christopher Gunness, spokesman for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), whose aid shipments have been turned back.

disgusting how they think they can hold and entire country to ransom. but this is from a country who is not only on the canadian torture warning list , but openly uses WMD`s against the city of gaza (chemical agents and no not WP)

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
While I do share some of your concerns about the situation in Gaza, that headline is a bit of a stretch isn't it?

Here is the real headline : Gaza power plant begins shutting down

I do find it somewhat of a coincidence that the CIA said something concerning power grids and extortion a couple of days ago, now it appears that Israel is doing just that, in another way of course, by preventing the fuel to get through.

Genocide? Try Darfur.

ed:sp

[edit on 1/20/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Even though it's outrageous (which I am agreeing with you), it's not genocide.

If Israel sent in the troops and killed 1.5 million then yes, but it's not. And I've seen no evidence from the EU or UN that shows Israel is using WMD's
let's not be bias again.

The title is extremely misleading and bias towards your views on Israel.

Who is to blame? the extreme elements on both sides who argue like children, while us in the centre (who support both Israelis and Palestinians) watch helplessly as idiots fight over ideology.

Let's end the bias and extreme polarisation and start supporting the people. After all, the real victims are the innocent Palestinians and Israelis who just want peace and are subject to extreme ideology ruining their lives.

link   
this is not genocide yes many people may die especialy the very old and very young. but it is not a extermination of a entire race . the name is misleading, allthough this is outrageous and very very sad.

beat me to it inf

[edit on 1/20/2008 by krill]

link   
Imagine if this was Iran doing this to kuwait or something holy cow there would be hell to pay.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Genocide? Try Darfur.

Agreed.

Hyperbole, such as that in this thread's title, detracts from the real issue here, and doesn't help the credibility of the story at all. Sure, shutting down power will adversely affect many, but it's a far cry from "genocide".

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Agreed.

Until we see both sides are victims, this pointless extreme (e.g the title of the thread) bias will continue and we will have no peace.

As I keep saying, there are innocent Israeli's as well innocent Palestinians.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The answers you get here are just subjective. We do not get the whole story, and you can guarentee its worse than just a power station closing down.

Your talking about a country that uses f16's to to blow up civilian homes, and locking gates to settlemenst where people live, so people cannot get home. We are not getting any where close to the real story.

Whether genocide should be used is subjective, but one thing we all can agree on is that the situation is wrong, and only the israelies have any power in it.

apc

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
That's no hyperbole. A hyperbole would be an exaggeration for dramatic effect. Calling this "genocide" is just a flat-out lie.

Originally posted by Harlequin
And so it begins - Israel starts to kill 1.5 million people , slowly in the biggest outrage on this planet and quite literally qorse than Hitler.

See... that's just a plain and simple lie.

Israel is enacting a fuel blockade in response to being attacked. Was the attack in return a response to another attack? I don't know. But whether the attack was retaliation or aggression, Israel's tactic should definitely get the point across. Whatever that point may be.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Reply to krill

this is not genocide yes many people may die especialy the very old and very young. but it is not a extermination of a entire race . the name is misleading, allthough this is outrageous and very very sad.

Clearly the more innocents die the more Hamas gets support. Remember it’s the people who voted Hamas into power.
Israel just wants to extend and is trying its best to make the Palestinians flee. The more Israel makes the Palestinians suffer the more they will retaliate. Muslims don’t flee they Fight till death. But Israel don’t seem to get the idea.

If Israel really wanted Peace than they would have given the Palestinian lands time ago. But its not Peace that they want, they are following the Jewish scriptures to extend as they would call it ‘their natural state’.

But I don’t think Israel will last for too long though. As everyone around it are Really starting to get very pissed off.

Israel seems to forget that the Arabs have learned from their past ‘6 Day War’ scenario.
And now even little groups like Hezbullah are turning out to be very lethal with the support of Russian weapons and Iranian training.
Every Arab nation is also gearing up as theres a sense in the atmosphere of ‘something big’ happening in future.

[edit on 20-1-2008 by kangjia57]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Well is Kuwait bombarding Iran's city's with Kassam missiles? No I don't think so!!! Israel has every right to protect its Innocent civilians

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
The answers you get here are just subjective. We do not get the whole story, and you can guarentee its worse than just a power station closing down.

Your talking about a country that uses f16's to to blow up civilian homes, and locking gates to settlemenst where people live, so people cannot get home. We are not getting any where close to the real story.

Whether genocide should be used is subjective, but one thing we all can agree on is that the situation is wrong, and only the israelies have any power in it.

this is one of the most uneducated posts ive ever read. they use F-15's to attack homes of Islamic extremists yes. they lock gates to keep extremists in isolated areas. there has been nothing BUT a decline in violence since putting up the walls and tight security. have you ever looked in to this matter through the eyes of the people that live in Gaza and the West Bank. the vast majority want peace the extremists are the ones that want death. and yes it is Israelis responsibility its their country. and was their country and was stolen by the ottoman empire and regained in the mid 40's do the research from other eyes than fox or cnn or pmsnbc

[edit on 15amu112007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Apologise for the title - having spent a few hours reading around the events in gaza and becoming more and more incessed about the entire apathy the west is giving these people - and some of the replies in this very thread support those views ; i an down right furious as to how the **** israel thinks it can control and undermine these people - it is massively obvious certain elements in israel do not want peace with anyone and will settle at nothing less than the palestinian people bulldozed into pits or shoved out of the land

conversely certain elements with gaza want nothing less than israel burned to the ground - and whilst most people do not want this , its a case of who shouts the loudest - although i am greatly concerned over the staus of any non jew in israel - 3rd class citizen ;(

and WMD? there are reports of the use of chemical munitions being used inside the city

www.guardian.co.uk...

i wonder where that film actually is

Israel's Secret Weapon also claims the Israeli military used a new gas against Palestinians in Gaza in February 2001.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
And they should shut off fuel and food and water for that matter.

Israel needs to be painfully clear: For every Kassam you fire at us, we shut off power for 2 hours.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I don't know, I am thinking that since President Bush was just over there and given what I am seeing here, who is to say that something isn't transpiring to provoke Iran in some small measure? That is my view.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Iran is going to sit tight. They are waiting until they have the big one before they do anything too stupid.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Reply to princeofpeace

Israel needs to be painfully clear: For every Kassam you fire at us, we shut off power for 2 hours.

And what should the Palestinians do for every house being bulldozed,Kids being sniped near the mines/full voltage fences, incursions taking place 24/7, people dying because they couldn’t get to hospital for treatment (checkpoint restrictions)?

Sit and watch and die?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
What are the other countries in the Middle East doing to alleviate the situation?
Nothing methinks.

All politics and probably what they want to see anyway.

If the neighboring countries were genuinely good neighbors they'd be running in convoys of trucks hauling oil to alleviate the situation.

Sure is strange that Saudi Arabia and others of their ilk can't/won't do anything to help their brothers.

Gotta pay for those gold bathroom fixtures somehow....

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Chicken or the egg?

Originally posted by kangjia57
Reply to princeofpeace

And what should the Palestinians do for every house being bulldozed,Kids being sniped near the mines/full voltage fences, incursions taking place 24/7, people dying because they couldn’t get to hospital for treatment (checkpoint restrictions)?

Sit and watch and die?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join