It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

are people good or evil???

page: 1

join
share:
DCP

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Do you believe people are naturally good or evil? I mean doing something good makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but on the flip side doing evil is easy...

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCP
Do you believe people are naturally good or evil?

Yes. Both.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DCP

I believe people are niether inherently good nor evil, it is all based on one's own opinion as to what good and evil are, but if i had to choose, and i mean actually choose, iwould say that people are more evil than good, because as a child you learn that what you would normally would be considered bad if you were older.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
To truly understand we must define the terms. Bibically Good and Evil are Judgements of God.

Good = Wanted By God.
Evil = Unwanted By God.

Wanted by God as Good can be defined as "A person that respects the creative force that is God and seeks to be part of the will of the Creator"

Unwanted by God as Evil definds as "A person that rejects the creator and creator's will over their own will in the free will aspect of created creature".

a good percentage of the people tend to wish their own will over that of the creators will, and this is evil. However the souls of most creatures seek to guide the being into the light of the wanting to do the will of the creator father.

In essance of the terms "Good and Evil" it isn't for anyone to judge another as Good or Evil.

We are all brothers/sisters. Even if a brother does "evil" unto you, paying them back with an "evil" doesn't make a Good.

In context, God wishes everyone would reach to God, so in that context everyone is good.

Good or evil, in the end turns out to be a personal perspective.

DO YOU WANT TO BE GOOD OR EVIL?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Good when I slipped a twenty into the raggedy womans sweater at save alot unbeknowst to her, and many other kind deeds.
Bad when I just couldn't get over my pride in relationships and overlook stupid bosses. We can be both most certainly.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Good and evil is just a matter of opinion.

Earthling Society says it's evil and bad to beat old ladies.
However, on a different planet, it might be considered an act of kindness to beat up the elderly.

Some of you might find me evil for mentioning beating up old ladies.
Some of you might think of me as good for using such an example.

Group A thinks Group B is evil, but they themselves are good.
Group B thinks Group A is evil, but they themselves are good.

So you see, it's all a matter of opinion.

P.S.- I do not encourage beating up the elderly.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Bring on the parkinsons and alzheimers! Stupid poop everwhere eaters. I'll teach them a thing or two. Where's my numchucks!

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Thats a good question DCP.I have no idea if good and evil are hereditary traits or if they gradually turn good or evil depending how they are raised.Like the old saying goes,"You are a product of your own environment."

Very good question though.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I would say that individually, people are usually good. Groups of people seem to tend to be more evil than the individuals that make up the group.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
To break down good and evil, first imagine the yin-yang. . . Got it in your mind? ...Okay good..

I consider both needed to experience the other. There has to be an "up" for there to be a "down". Good deeds would not seem "good" if others didn't create bad deeds.

Good vs. evil to me is like chocolate ice cream vs. vanilla. Both of these flavors are quite enjoyable--but only for a time.

One can get consumed by either side and forget that a balance is needed to completely enjoy both.

DCP

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
thanks for the answers...i love seeing how people think.

DCP

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
thanks for the answers...i love seeing how people think.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
good vs evil

can u define these two pricipals so easily as to say that a person is evil or a person is good?

there is a balance between the two. to be pure evil you have to forsake all that is good which in essence would mean to give up your humanitya.k.a. your soul and are no longer a person. and to say that a person is pure good would mean to say they are perfect and as we all no there was only one perfect man.

socratese beleived that good and evil were of the same make and that while people are inherently good they are tempted off the path of ritousness by evil and that they cant be blamed for this as it is human nature to seek what u want by any means necessary. is there truth to this or is socratese more of an over fond parent coming up with excusses for the human condition.

what would u do if someone told you that to save your family from death u had to kill.... would u? or would you with all your ritousness say i will not for god will take care of them in heaven... i wouldnt. i would kill an save my family as is human nature thus the human condition.

but imagine a world without evil were everyone is good and no one ever had one evil thought. thus could u say that somthing is good without ever knowing is opposite evil. how boring would the world be with no conflict. were in books the plot never thickened and just kept one its merry way with nothing to oppose it. BORING

no i belive that there is no way to classify someone as good or evil. in this world there are only darker and lighter shades of grey.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I think people believe they are good, I cant imagine anyone being the stereotypical evil fiend deliberately, most people who are perceived as evil believe they are good.

I believe there is no real good and evil, its all a matter of perception, I think its dangerous to set such rules in stone when the world, the foundations for such beliefs are like sand, forever shifting. I do believe that it is possible to have standards that a working society should follow and also standards on how you should treat other people, but once again people should remain ready for change as they always have changed, just look at how different some cultures are.

That's what I believe anyway.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
People choose to act good, fair, or evil.

^^Because they do choose those ways, and all of them dont choose just acting good, then "people" as a whole are evil.

Acting with individuals not on the same or favorable accord breeds evil.

Having free will amongst others with free will causes the idea and action of ajournment from one another to look and feel good. Staying alone is also evil cause it breeds gloom. So the idea and action of given a ppl with an embeded favorable destiny you command surrounding you with the only free will is better than good, it's great.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by Mabus]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
If i may i would like to answer this with what i think is the greatest scene placed into any movie. I just think it appropriate for the question.

A man was walking through the woods one day and saw an injured rattlesnake, The snake was on the verge of death. The man picked up the snake and nurtured it over months back to health. The snake faihful to his healer over the months he was helping him.
After 4 months the snake was finally back at full health. The man woke up one night to fetch more wood for the fire and accidently stepped on the rattlesnake. The snake turned and bit his healer. As the venom started to kill the man. He turned to the snake and asked why?
The snake replied "You knew, when you picked me up in the woods that i was a snake!"

This story may seem pointless, But to me it suggests you are born one way or another. Either good or evil. But it doesnt matter which the opposite will always reside somewhere. Even the most evil of men have feelings for something.

And as for good. If you consider yourself a good person. Ask yourselves if someone you loved more than life itself was in danger would you kill to protect them?

[edit on 10-7-2008 by Needsaguide]

new topics

top topics

join