It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative pastor urges buying Microsoft stock to fight its gay rights efforts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Conservative pastor urges buying Microsoft stock to fight its gay rights efforts

seattlepi.nwsource.com

A conservative Christian pastor plans to launch a high-profile campaign Tuesday urging religious followers to load up on Microsoft Corp. stock, in an attempt to force the company to "stop financing ungodly ventures."

The Rev. Ken Hutcherson, who leads Antioch Bible Church in Microsoft's hometown of Redmond, says that he will create a global and powerful group to promote traditional family values, including marriage exclusively between a man and a woman.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. I really don't think he understands how the stock market works. Not that I do, but I have an inkling that any efforts he makes will either make Microsoft richer, or himself richer.

EditL Here's my favorite part

Hutcherson said it's not Microsoft's job to influence the public agenda, and that it should be left to others, like him.

"That's what my job is," he said. "I'm a pastor."

seattlepi.nwsource.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-1-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Hutcherson said it's not Microsoft's job to influence the public agenda, and that it should be left to others, like him.

"That's what my job is," he said. "I'm a pastor."

Right! So, whatever this pastor says must be true. Not.

As well, I do not understand the stock market to a greater extent, but just because they could in theory own a large portion of MS stock, does not mean they can influence policy when policy of the corporation should rest solely on maximizing profits. Should MS not promote the rights of certain groups, it could hurt profits.
Me thinks the pastor should stick to his day job.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
You would think all that money would be better spent feeding the hungry, or something like that.

What is with the fundamentalist (and I don't mean only Christians here) obsession with other people's love lives?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Agreed...

I don't see how this pastor thinks he can influence 'public opinion' so readily. Yes he is a preacher, but does that give him any right to brainwash his parish?

I'm assuming the people in his church must not be the most educated people if they agree with this man.

However...What gives this man the right to hate other people? This does not sound like a very Christian value system.

Whatever happened to loving thy neighbor and all that other crap in the bible?

It seems no one walks the walk anymore. Christ would not have wanted his followers to persecute others. This is just as bad as what happened to Yeshua ben Joseph...

Nice one.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
He probably just wants to sell stock he currently owns at a higher price. Alcohol and ciggarettes aren't exactly cheap anymore.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hm, I don't own stock. But maybe I'll buy some Microsoft stock now...

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Give me a break, there is no way he or any of his followers could EVER manage to buy enough stock in Microsoft to have any influence on it what-so-ever. He and the brainwashed people who follow him could spend their entire life savings on this idea, and never amount to even one percent of the stocks.

So, not only does he discriminate against sexual orientation, but he's a financial moron.

Whatever happened to religions at least pretending to have understanding?
The idea has surely left this guy back during childhood.

[Edit]
Actually, if Microsoft promotes that which he hates... then, go ahead, I'm all for it. Give your enemy your money.

[edit on 10-1-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well, I was just joking. I would never give Microsoft my money or encourage them in any way.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Hahaha, this guy really cracks me up. If him and his followers buy anything less than 51% of Microsoft then all they're doing is feeding their enemy. And unless this guy has a church full of multi-billionares I somehow doubt that they'll get even close to gaining a controlling stock. Even I had divine intervention on my side I would never try taking on Microsoft.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
anything to get a headline.

The bottom line is that even if they bought ALL of the outstanding stock avalible to trade, They would AT best have 41% of the compnay and as I said thats at best:

Ownership of the stock is as follows:
Insiders and those with 5% or more ownership hold 14%
Add the Institutional and Mutal Fund owners its now 59%

Many of those Funds would not sell unless someone made them a huge offer. And Vatican is the only religious organization with that much capital.

They could even in a best case scenario get a hold of a majority to re direct a policy. And then what of IBM, Intel, Apple et al that also have very liberal policies towards domestic partners.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
Well, I was just joking. I would never give Microsoft my money or encourage them in any way.

Why? Its just business and im far more concerned by Google (But that does not stop mne from investing in them either).

If you hold any mutual funds you probaly own some MSFT at anyrate.

[edit on 1/10/08 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Another one of his quotes that doesn't make him sound too smart.

He told company leaders, "I could work with you, or I could be your worst nightmare, because I am a black man with a righteous cause, with a host of powerful white people behind me," according to an e-mail update to his supporters.

The host of powerful white people he has behind him aren't anywhere near as rich or influential as the billionaires backing Microsoft.

new topics

top topics

join