It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (Winter Blues)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I just found out that a couple of other members here also suffer from seasonal affective disorder/ winter blues.
I have had it for about 8 years now.Gradually getting worse with each winter.I have days where I literally feel too depressed and tired to get out of bed.Those are the days when it is mostly grey skies.The sunny days I have energy,and I can get much accomplished. I joke around that Iam completely solar powered.It is true though.Even my personality changes in the winter months.I become very introverted.In the summer Iam completely the opposite.
I was wondering if their are others who suffer this,and to what degree does it affect your daily life?What do you do to cope with it?

Some links explaining S.A.D
en.wikipedia.org...
www.cmha.ca...
www.heretohelp.bc.ca...
www.mayoclinic.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Thankyou for sharing your truths Ad. Yes it is true and I think that everyone suffers the same affliction to differing degrees. Some are more aware than others and that's the biggest difference. Once you can see your dis-ease with the seasons you are already in the healing process! Most people are unwilling to even admit that have a challenge. Good AD, my suggestion is to look to your local health foods store for the best remedies in the world, healthy nutritious, organic foods, juices and supplements. We will talk sometime in private as there are some whole-istic approaches I could recommend.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
AD, I suffer from winter blues to a mild degree and that is one of the reasons I live in the sunny southwest, where it is sunny 90% of the time. I had a friend that suffered so bad even here that he moved to Tuscon where a cloud inspires awe and wonder.

Have you checked out lights for SAD?
www.lighttherapyproducts.com...

If I get to feeling real funky during a cloudy spell; I go to a tanning salon for a $10 session. It works great and I look as if I just got back from Cabo.

Hope you"re all good today!

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
So what's the opposite of this condition? Because...

♫ I'm only happy when it rains
I'm only happy when it's complicated
And though I know you can't appreciate it
I'm only happy when it rains
You know I love it when the news is bad
Why it feels so good to feel so sad
I'm only happy when it rains ♫

♫♪ Pour your misery down
Pour your misery down on me
Pour your misery down
Pour your misery down on me ♫♪

I feel good when things are going wrong
I only listen to the sad, sad songs

♫ I only smile in the dark
My only comfort is the night gone black
I didn't accidentally tell you that
I'm only happy when it rains
You'll get the message by the time I'm through
When I complain about me and you

♫♪ Pour your misery down (pour your misery down)
Pour your misery down on me (pour your misery down)
Pour your misery down (pour your misery down)
Pour your misery down on me (pour your misery down) ♫♪

♫♪ Pour your misery down (pour your misery down)
Pour your misery down on me (pour your misery down)
Pour your misery down (pour it) ♫♪

♫ You can keep me company
As long as you don't care ♫

You'll wanna hear about my new obsession
I'm riding high upon a deep depression
I'm only happy when it rains (pour some misery down on me)♫

♫♪ I'm only happy when it rains (pour some misery down on me)
I'm only happy when it rains (pour some misery down on me)
I'm only happy when it rains (pour some misery down on me)
I'm only happy when it rains ♫♪

♫♪ Pour some misery down on me
Pour some misery down on me
Pour some misery down on me
Pour some misery down on me ♫♪

♫ I'm only happy when it rains ♫

Garbage - "Only Happy When It Rains"

Fortunately for me I live in a rainforest region, where we get over 90 inches of rain annually. It would be unbearably hot otherwise. And then I get angry and agressive.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Great post AD.

I was born and raised in Seattle,Washington with the constant rain and overcast. The Puget Sound is a beautiful place when the sun finally does come out. At age
lol we finally moved out of there to sunny Nevada.
Now, I look forward to rarity of the rain, but I sure don't miss it! Had to get use to buying mass quantities of sunscreen tho. I miss the greenery, but my cacti are pretty green.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hey all!
Thanks Antar..I have studied naturopathic remedies for over a decade.
At present though,I have found that only pure sunshine and added vitamin D to my diet helps at all.

Whaaa, I have looked at light therapy, but Iam a real cheapskate.I would rather walk to the mall and browse under the lights for 30 minutes than pay for a lamp in my home.Perhaps I may have to purchase one in the future, if it gets bad.

Beachcoma...nice lyrics.Very Inspiring.

MountainStar, I long for the desert.I really do.Just not in the cards for me.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I have it as a result of the PTSD and resultant Clinical Depression...

I tan...

Now laugh if you will, but I have found that a few times each week, especially in the fall and winter, under the tanning bed makes a WORLD of difference...

That and it keeps me looking like a beach bum.. LOL

Semper

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Hmm...I never thought of that.There is a place here that charges 5 bucks a session..but..aren't you worried about skin cancer Semper?

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Yeah, a little...

But to be honest the impact and effects of my depression are such that I consider the risk the lesser of two evils....

I've been fighting this now for some time and winning so far. With the help of a lot of good people I might add...

Talking about it has always really helped me deal with times when I find myself weak also...

Great thread AD

Semper

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Thanks Semper.I agree, talking about it does help. No one else I know personally in my corner of the world has this.So it is hard to get people to understand.Mine has gotten worse every year.I don't want to get to the point where I have to resort to medication(being all naturopathic, that is a no no).I would love to just move somewhere warmer, but I don't see that happening.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied

Hmm...I never thought of that.There is a place here that charges 5 bucks a session..but..aren't you worried about skin cancer Semper?

I wouldn't worry too much about skin cancer from tanning beds. Most of the people that get it from beds are the ones that go as much as they can. Just don't overdo it and maybe it will help.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I would love to just move somewhere warmer, but I don't see that happening.

No point. With the Earth being more humid and all, in the warmer climes it rains everyday. Unless you're like me (I'm happy when it rains), then it wouldn't be a good thing (I think).

As for getting skin cancer from tanning... here are some things to consider:

Lack Of Sunlight May Increase Lung Cancer Risk
Global View Shows Strong Link Between Kidney Cancer, Sunlight Exposure (also from lack of sunlight)

So either risk getting skin cancer, or risk getting lung and kidney cancer. Decisions, decisions!

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by secret titan

I might try that...but losing the pale white skin goes against my whole goth persona..lol

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Well to really put it all in perspective, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow too.That is reality.
(Trust me, the bus drivers here are nuts!)

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Ha! Must be a requirement for the occupation. 'Tis the same on the other side of the planet

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

HAHAHA! ROFLMAO!
Same with taxi drivers! Holy geez....
Stay off the sidewalk!
Ok..so I'm off topic..deal with it.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

But would it be that bad to not have pale white skin? Don't get me wrong, I love the goth look, but it's for your health!

Goth women rock....... literally.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by secret titan

YES! It would make my black wardrobe, black and red hair,and red lipstick look very strange.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

If you are that worried, you could always put sunblock on!

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Try lead paint. (Kidding, of course
)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join