It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faith Explained

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Read to the end, Pretty Powerful

Let me explain the problem science has with Jesus Christ." The atheist professor of philosophy pauses before his class and then asks one of his new students to stand. "You're a Christian, aren't you, son?" "Yes sir," the student says. "So you believe in God?" "Absolutely." "Is God good?" "Sure! God's good." "Is God all-powerful? Can God do anything?" "Yes." "Are you good or evil?" "The Bible says I'm evil." The professor grins knowingly. "Aha! The Bible!" He considers for a moment. "Here's one for you. Let's say there's a sick person over here and you can cure him. You can do it. Would you help him? Would you try?" "Yes sir, I would." "So you're good...!" "I wouldn't say that." "But why not say that? You'd help a sick and maimed person if you
could. Most of us would if we could. But God doesn't." The student does not answer, so the professor continues. "He doesn't, does he? My brother was a Christian who died of cancer, even though he prayed to Jesus to heal him. How is this Jesus good? Hmmm? Can you answer that one?" The student remains silent. "No, you can't, can you?" the professor says. He takes a sip of water from a glass on his desk to give the student time to relax. "Let's start again, young fella. Is God good?" "Er...yes," the student says. "Is Satan good?" The student doesn't hesitate on this one. "No." "Then where does Satan come from?" The student falters. "From...God..." "That's right. God made Satan, didn't he? Tell me, son. Is there evil in this world?" "Yes, sir." "Evil's everywhere, isn't it? And God did make everything, correct?" "Yes."

aubreylyn.blogspot.com...

------------------------------------------------------

Trimmed big copy/paste, added 'ex' tags and a link

Please read Posting work written by others

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 26/12/07 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
These posts are good examples of a few Critical Thinking Fallacies. First, there is the Strawman Fallacy - Come up with a make-believe person, have him give an empassioned but weak or silly argument, then destroy that weak argument. Now you claim that your side is correct because you won. However, the agrument you chose to dispute was by no means the argument a real person would have used.

Second, Proof by Analogy. Because some things have some properties in common DOES NOT mean that they have all properties in common. Analogies are not proof. Using the heat analogy to prove the existence of god is meaningless. One could just as well claim to show that because heat has no intelligence that god has no intelligence.

Occam

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
lol, love the way you just bash the bible down. go occam!

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by johannamoria

Thanks for sharing that...

When one has Faith and belief, and the Almighty God and Jesus Christ come upon you and reveal themselves, you no longer have faith or belief.

You know.

Like the Rock of Gibraltar I am on this point. There is nothing that can shake me.

Now...as for the rest of the comments...

Originally posted by korai
lol, love the way you just bash the bible down. go occam!

LOL...what?

Show me the word Bible in his post..Ive quoted him for your convenience.

Originally posted by Occam
These posts are good examples of a few Critical Thinking Fallacies. First, there is the Strawman Fallacy - Come up with a make-believe person, have him give an empassioned but weak or silly argument, then destroy that weak argument. Now you claim that your side is correct because you won. However, the agrument you chose to dispute was by no means the argument a real person would have used.

Second, Proof by Analogy. Because some things have some properties in common DOES NOT mean that they have all properties in common. Analogies are not proof. Using the heat analogy to prove the existence of god is meaningless. One could just as well claim to show that because heat has no intelligence that god has no intelligence.

As for Occam, a little saying by Jesus.

I speak this way so that in seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear.

When you say that the heat analogy is meaningless, your right. Its meaningless; to you as you do not have insight, nor do you have faith.

Im not saying it cant happen, but what I am saying, is that your logical arguement identifications remind me of a person who has recently had a class and is enjoying analizing the components of the discussion while in fact you have no idea or concept of what they are talking about.

Did I poison your well?

You cant convince a man blind from birth there is color, and clouds and other things unseen by him, unless he has faith in the person telling him.

I personally have spoken to God, and God has responded to me.

You should ask yourself why I would even take the time to tell you...

Peace

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
reply to post by johannamoria

Thanks for sharing that...

When one has Faith and belief, and the Almighty God and Jesus Christ come upon you and reveal themselves, you no longer have faith or belief.

You know.

So very true
You are welcome. Sorry it was so long but I thought it was worth posting.

Like the Rock of Gibraltar I am on this point. There is nothing that can shake me.

Amen.

When you say that the heat analogy is meaningless, your right. Its meaningless; to you as you do not have insight, nor do you have faith.

Im not saying it cant happen, but what I am saying, is that your logical arguement identifications remind me of a person who has recently had a class and is enjoying analizing the components of the discussion while in fact you have no idea or concept of what they are talking about.

Did I poison your well?

You cant convince a man blind from birth there is color, and clouds and other things unseen by him, unless he has faith in the person telling him.

Peace

That is so true. Not only do people need to open their eyes but their hearts as well. God works through our hearts.

[edit on 23-12-2007 by johannamoria]

[edit on 23-12-2007 by johannamoria]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I enjoyed the story.

Taken from personal experience ?

Faith is a concept.

Look at those that believe in "aliens".

Is that so far removed from faith in
God ?

What about Islam ?

What about Mormons ?

What about Jews ?

What about Catholics ?

Same basic God, and ideals,
different Faith.

Faith has many guises.

Which do you wear ?

Pondering,
Lex

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I believe it's one thing to walk by Faith... and something completely different to walk in Faith that is in the light of Truth. But, both are determined by your heart and not your mind.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Quote from hifiguy:

Did I poison your well?

Sorry, but you called that wrong. I'm 77 years old and used to teach critical thinking. And I won't even bother correcting your misspelling of analyzing.

Occam

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Occam

Deleted due to the fact that I was losing my cherub like demeanor.

[edit on 24-12-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Too bad. I assume you felt you had a logical argument, but that it was too harsh for public posting. You could just U2U me with it. However, if it was just a diatribe, I can understand why you deleted it.

Occam

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Columbus

Sticks and stone will break your bones, but bad words will...
Get your post deleted.

Good people know what Good is.

Be Good...Be Kind. Love makes the world go round.

Peace Brother

[edit on 26-12-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I'm sorry. It was inappropriate, but not unkind. I can't think of a better description of it. That's what it is. It happens so damned much and the effect is always the same. And nobody does it to me any more. I'm almost jealous.

Maybe Christians should start trying to defend their friends rather than congratulating them for their failure and massaging their "egos" into a state of "some sort" of euphoria.

C

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY

Peace

There are many people who claim to have spoken to many mythical or dead people. Now when that claim is "I've spoken to Elvis", everybody laughs and thinks sad bastard. When the claim is "I've spoken to God", we are not allowed to laugh and think sad bastard.....why? Especially since it is far far more likely, given the physical evidence, that he who speaks to Elvis is more likely than one who speaks to God.

God is a delusion. I have no problem with people believing in delusions if it helps them cope with life, it's when those delusions are used to dictate to me how to live or state that I am evil for being an atheist that I get annoyed.

Why did you tell us what you did. The answer is simple you wanted an excuse to share your delusion as delusional people often do.

[edit on 28-12-2007 by malcr]

[edit on 28-12-2007 by malcr]

top topics

join