It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No global warming in Canada this winter, eh?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
see yahoo.ca story about frigid winter forecasted this year.

Get your toques and mittys ready for a loooong winter kiddies.

winter this year is expected to be the coldest in almost 15 years and should remind everyone of what real Canadian cold feels like, Environment Canada said Friday.

I'm looking at 8 inches of snow outside my window now

[edit on 1-12-2007 by x-phile]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
lol your joking right?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
100% No joke. Current data map from the source: www.weatheroffice.gc.ca...

Way cold everywhere but the far North which will be above "normative values".

Mira

Edit to add: real video and QT clips on this page:

www.cbc.ca...

[edit on 1-12-2007 by Mira_of_lurk0more]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
And here in South West Michighan we sit and wait for a winter ice storm that may bring 1/2" of ice and 30 MPH winds tonight. We had a white Thanksgiving and looking to be a white Christmas. I cand still say CHRISTMAS on here can't I???

mikell

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Global warming is just another zionist scam intended to put YOUR money in THEIR pockets, as usual.

Don't buy it and don't listen or encourage anyone else to listen to any shill trying to sell the global warming scam. Drive the zionists out of business, it's your obligation and duty.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
There's a reason they've stopped calling it Global Warming and switched to the more PC term Climate Change. Since they can't actually prove that human activity is making everything hotter, they've now started saying that human activity changes the climate in various ways that are completely unpredictable from region to region. So basically you have to feel generally guilty whenever you look outside no matter what the whether is.

Dunno man, this constant sense of guilt sounds more like a Catholic thing then a Zionist one. Besides, I'm pretty sure that the mega-conglomerates that own the factories aren't based around an ancient religious order. Especially one invented by a Russian tzar way back in the day.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by Scalamander]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Well I can see first hand that irregular weather patterns are a very real thing. I'm currently in Utah and have played soccer almost everyday up until a week and a half ago. Any year before this for the past 20 years, I couldn't have said the same thing. I know it would be easy to discredit "global warming," but it is very real and nobody knows exactly why it's taking place. We're all over the map with the reasoning behind it, but I know for a fact that the very first snowfall of the season just happened today is very, very irregular.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
My Personal Opinion

Weather changes all the time!!! sometimes it snows in October and sometimes

we don't see snow until January.

Mother nature is unpredictable and I know I'll seem uncool to all you hip cats

who believe in this "Global Warming" or "Climate Change" deal but things are

different all the time, just because things aren't exactly the same all the time

doesn't mean anybody should be sounding the alarms saying were all doomed.

Ya'll have a nice day

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
It is going to be more towards global cooling, then global warming ;-p, when all the particles in the ozone dissapate then UV rays will be allowed to come in and create a global warmin. Well thats atleast what I think.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
Global warming is just another zionist scam intended to put YOUR money in THEIR pockets, as usual.

Don't buy it and don't listen or encourage anyone else to listen to any shill trying to sell the global warming scam. Drive the zionists out of business, it's your obligation and duty.

As much as I hate feeding trolls as they slobber so much....... why is it a zionist scam? Please don't slobber on me, troll spittle stains.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I didn't know global warming existed north of the border.
I thought that was something American scientists and Al Gore made up one weekend after knocking back a few too many Labatts Blues.

Besides, its like winter all year round in Canada. How can you tell when its warmer or not when you can't feel your body. (This is a joke of course.)

Its snowing here too, in case anyones curious.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I al, believe that man made Global Warming is a hoax. I believe that the earth goes through wet and dry cycles. This year, in South Carolina it has been very dry, expecially this past summer.

Maybe these cycles vary in their intensities and extremes, I don't know. What I do know is that nobody declared global warming a catastrophic event during the dust bowl years of the 1930's!

Just my $.02!

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
A cold Winter in Canada and the north part of the U.S. has a very real trickle down effect. Lot's of snow helps replenish the ground water supplies and that in turn helps fill the Great Lakes, which feeds other rivers, ect. ect. Winter is the season that really matters when it comes to amounts of water. I'll take a snowy Winter over a rainy Spring any year.

Plus lots of snowballs are always a plus. We have the slushy ice/snow ball mixture here now in S.E. Michigan. They hurt.

[edit on 2-12-2007 by pavil]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I'm surprised no-one considered that La Nina might be the cause of this cold winter Canada is looking forward to...

EL NIÑO/SOUTHERN OSCILLATION (ENSO)
DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

La Niña continued to strengthen during October 2007, as equatorial sea surface temperature (SST) anomalies became increasingly negative from 170oE to the South American coast (Fig. 1). The latest 4-week analysis shows the largest SST departures (-2ºC to -3ºC) located between 140oW and the South American coast, with departures of -0.5oC to -1oC observed near the Date Line (Fig. 2). All of the Niño region indices, except for Niño-4, remained lower than -1.0oC (Fig. 3) indicating that La Niña is approaching moderate-strength (3-month running mean value of the Niño 3.4 index below -1.0oC).
www.cpc.noaa.gov...

A local story covering it...

La Nina could bring long, cold winter

Here in Canada, many parts of the country could be in for a long winter.
"It generally means from B.C. to Thunder Bay, a colder and snowier winter," Environment Canada's David Phillips told CTV News.

www.ctv.ca...

the 'little girl' is going to provide Canadians with a white Christmas, great skiing, backyard hockey rinks and lots of 'good old winter activities.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I agree with what you say, Pavil, but while La Nina may be good news for Canada and the northern United States, it does not look good for the severe drought situations in the south.

Although other scientific factors affect the frequency of hurricanes, there tends to be a greater-than-normal number of Atlantic hurricanes and fewer-than-normal number of eastern Pacific hurricanes during La Niña events,” said retired Navy Vice Adm. Conrad C. Lautenbacher, Ph.D., under secretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere and NOAA administrator. “During the winter, usual La Niña impacts include drier and warmer-than-average conditions over the southern United States."
www.noaanews.noaa.gov...

(bolding mine)

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I am loving winter in Atlantic Canada so far. Its been around -10 celsius (14 fahrenheit for a few days and we just had a storm today that dumped around 30 centimeters (11 inches) of snow here in Nova Scotia. A classic Canadian winter in early December!

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by murphdog9
I am loving winter in Atlantic Canada so far. Its been around -10 celsius (14 fahrenheit for a few days and we just had a storm today that dumped around 30 centimeters (11 inches) of snow here in Nova Scotia. A classic Canadian winter in early December!

It's been snowing for 48 hours here and it's not done yet despite 30 cm on the ground and it's headed your way

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Our weather of course is affected by what happens elsewhere, and the Meterological Office have been making their predictions as a result of La Nina:

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

The temps have been around 9-14 C, though with a lot of rain!

We live in a micro-climate area caused I gather by the proximity of the Isle of Wight just off-shore. The bad weather from the English Channel hits the south side of the island and then lands on the hills and in a rough horsehoe shape. If it does snow, and it is seldom (once it was four years between a fall) then the whole world stops it seems! We don't have the infrastructure that we think Canada has, as regards snow-clearing.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by murphdog9

Welcome to ATS. Another East Coaster eh. What part of NS ya from?It has been snowing all day here in Saint John but it hasn't piled very high yet, thats Supposed to come later this evening/over night.

They have talked about La nina alot on the radio today as the cause for the forecasted "normal" winter, as in a regular Canadian winter, not the ones we have recieved in the last few years. Good for the ski hills and winter tourism industry but it could be a long winter for the rest of us.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I remember back in the 70s when everybody was worrying about a new Ice Age happening. CO2 emissions rose, but average temperatures actually decreased a little -- so much for the manmade greenhouse effect problem.

Thirty years from now, everybody will be laughing about global warming and probably worrying (and trying to make money) from some other vague calamity. My guess is either solar flare radiation or the "imminent" asteroid threat.

During the Dust Bowl days in the 30s, there were quite a few con artists who made some good money by going from town to town as "Rain Makers." Same thing these days, except now you can apparently win a Nobel Prize for it.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by Nohup]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join