It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abundant Evidence to Warn People Against GE Crops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Abundant Evidence to Warn People Against GE Crops

www.truthout.org

Announcements in Victoria and NSW that genetically engineered (GE) crops will be allowed threaten more than just the income of Australia's farmers and food companies. There is irrefutable evidence that GE foods are unsafe to eat.

Working with more than 30 scientists worldwide, I documented 65 health risks of GE foods. There are thousands of toxic or allergic-type reactions in humans, thousands of sick, sterile, and dead livestock, and damage to virtually every organ and system studied in lab animals. Government safety assessments, including those of Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ), do not identify many of the dangers, and analysis reveals that industry studies submitted to FSANZ are designed to avoid finding them.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Why do news like this never hit mainstream?
Why do the studies that shows the hazards of GMO never get attention? If they are made public avaliable at all.
Why do the American consumer care so little about the issue? If they at all are aware of it.

I hope the Ozzies will take up the fight and get this crap out of their market.

I remmeber back in Europe in the late 90s, ships with GE soy were simply by activist prevented from unloading their cargo.

The real course was of course that European consumers simply would'n buy the modified stuff, and demanded labeling -- which they got -- so food producers for the European market have to avoids it to sell their products. It lead to trade wars between EU and US, which I'm afraid is not yet settled.

IMO, GE crops are nothing more than another weapon of NWO in its depopulation agenda.

Most of all I wonder why Americans care so little about the issue.

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

Look at the major players in the GMO market. Monsanto is a huge company with lots of, as David Icke asserts, Illuminati backing. Monsanto is the same company that produces Round-Up weed killer, and it produces aspartame since it was sold the patent from Searle. The Bt used as the natural pesticide in many of these crops kills whatever tries to eat it, and we have much of the same genetic make-up of those critters. You have to wonder what these products are actually doing to us, especially over extended periods of time.

The US has been the guinea pig nation as far as GMO consumption, as we've been bombarded with them since at least 1992. The FDA claims that these products are safe for consumption; then again the FDA is a federal agency and we should all be suspect of their claims - anything federal for that matter.

I'm really not surprised that we don't see this topic in the mainstream media. Why would they tip their hand and admit that they are voluntarily poisoning people? Here in the US, I don't think people even care as long as they have their TV, remote control and Bud Light. The apathy about everything is pandemic.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Thanks for joining in Damned,

I agree Monsanto to be a major player in the sinister GMO play, and yes, Illuminatti forces are definately behind the suppressing of truth, as their agenda clearly is supported by junk science.

IMO their overall goal is destruction of the human genome. Why should they do that? Despite whatever evil you assign to them, they belong to the species of humans themselves. Yeah, but you bet they don't touch any stuff tainted by their products. They (the elite) precipitate themselves from the human mass by this technology (among others), so that one day THEY will stand as the 'clean' ones, and the majority of humanity will be riddled by diseases we at present know nothing about, degenarated to a point where a whole new definition of humanity will be justified.

Simply it's the destruction of the very creation, God's if you like, they are about to achieve, so they themselves will be the gods.

It's too hot to touch, so tabloid issues prevail even on a serious board like this. Opium for the sheeples. However I considered the Australian populace, to be generally an educated and well-informed concerned one. Which makes it hard for me to understand the silence on the issue on this board.

Here's a few news-clips from Australien press.
Debate on GM crops hots up in SA, November 29, 2007

Greenpeace genetic engineering campaigner Louise Sales said Victoria's decision to lift its ban on GM canola, raised the spectre of cross-border contamination for SA farmers.

"It is vital that South Australia takes steps to protect its farmers from the economic losses that will occur as result of GE contamination," she said.

Ms Sales said allowing the commercial release of GE canola would remove choice for the majority of farmers who wanted to grow GE free crops and the majority of consumers who want to consume GE free food.

"Goodman Fielder, the largest end user of canola in Australia, doesn't want GE food crops and, according to recent polls, neither do the majority of consumers, farmers or our key export markets in Japan and Europe," she said.

"The only stakeholder that appears to want GE food crops is the biotechnology industry - which stands to make a fortune at everyone else's expense if this dangerous, unwanted technology is introduced."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Opponents says GM research not adequate, November 28,

Victoria and NSW have decided to lift their bans on genetically modified canola crops without the comprehensive scientific research to support the move, opponents say.

They say the two state governments have disproportionately relied on the advice of GM technology supporters and on information that plays down safety and environmental concerns.

The Victorian and NSW governments released reports justifying their moves, saying allowing GM crops would provide economic benefits.

But opponents said the decision was based on limited information.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Further search on the subject in SMH

Also I would like to link the original news article for the OP.

Original link for the OP

Contains snippets and further links to

1. GM CANOLA IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CONTAIN

2. CONTAMINATION THRESHOLDS ARE NOT BASED ON SCIENCE
The 'GM Science Review' reports available for downloading through this link

3. GM CANOLA SPREAD BY WILD ANIMALS Germinable GM seeds survive in faeces
Fate of recombinant DNA and Cry1Ab protein after ingestion and dispersal of genetically modified maize in comparison to rapeseed by fallow deer ( Dama dama )

4. UNCONTROLLABLE GM CANOLA CONTAMINATION IN JAPAN
Spilled GM canola growing in Japan – Citizens' survey results 2007

On July 7 2007, NO! GMO Campaign published the findings of a survey of spilled GM canola found growing in Japan. The survey was carried out from March 2007 onwards by citizens in 43 out of the total of 47 prefectures in Japan. In total, 1617 samples were tested and of these 37 showed up as GMO positive. A similar survey was also conducted in South Korea*.

The samples were collected not only around ports where canola (oilseed rape) is imported, and around factories where canola oil is extracted, as well as along canola transportation routes, but also in some urban areas and on farmland.

Oilseed rape is not cultivated much in Japan, so Japan mostly imports it from Canada and Australia. 80% of the canola imports come from Canada, and are presumably GM. Non-GM canola is imported from Australia.

Well now they'll get the GMO threat from there as well.

What we as activist did back in Europe in 1996-98 will probably be seen as terrorisme today (yes, THEY just HAD TO create it), but no matter what the only chance to win is to fight.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

In your last post, you wrote:

"They (the elite) precipitate themselves from the human mass by this technology (among others), so that one day THEY will stand as the 'clean' ones, and the majority of humanity will be riddled by diseases we at present know nothing about, degenarated to a point where a whole new definition of humanity will be justified."

This part of your post really stood out for me. It sounds like yet another opportunity for a new variety of discrimination. By reducing humanity by destroying it at the cellular or genetic levels, will that be grounds enough for discrimination and enslavement beyond what is already perpetuated by goverment and corporations? It might even come down to what constitutes being human, and if you fall below a certain level, you are cast down to lower ranks. It almost sounds like the movie GATTACA.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DamnedDirtyApes

Just a few years back I would have thought this to be science fiction too. I remember back in the 80s reading Moebius' cartoons, I saw them to be a (horror)vision of a post nuclear society. Now I know it doesn't take nuclear destruction to get us there.

Today I'm convinced "reducing humanity by destroying it at the cellular or genetic levels" as you write, is the overall and long time agenda of NWO. The use of DU in the ongoing warfare is another way of inducing long time effect on the genome, as most likely is a wide range of additives presently allowed for food. One should think though that by GMO there is no way to contain or for the elite themselves to shield them from the effects. Maybe they have secret plans, and the technology, to migrate to other planets. Who knows.

Anyway, to support the claim of new and irreversible diseases, another snippet from the OP link.

The only human feeding study conducted on GE foods found genes had transferred into the DNA of gut bacteria and remained functional. This means that long after we stop eating a GE food, its protein may be produced continuously inside our intestines.

Lab animals fed GM crops had altered sperm cells and embryos, a five-fold increase in infant mortality, smaller brains, and a host of other problems.

Documents made public by a lawsuit revealed that scientists at the US Food and Drug Administration warned that gene-spliced foods might lead to allergies, toxins, new diseases and nutritional problems. When 25 per cent of US corn farmers planted GE varieties, corn sales to the European Union dropped by 99.4 per cent. All corn farmers suffered as prices fell by 13 to 20 per cent. In North America a growing number of doctors are prescribing a non-GE diet. Next year, the US natural food industry will remove all remaining GE ingredients.

No doubt degeneration is the hidden but true agenda of GMO.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
What the heck is wrong with genetically engineering crops? Do you even know how they genetically modify something?

Originally posted by khunmoon

The only human feeding study conducted on GE foods found genes had transferred into the DNA of gut bacteria and remained functional. This means that long after we stop eating a GE food, its protein may be produced continuously inside our intestines.

Uh...what? Who the hell is writing this crap?

Okay then, how does it get "transfered" into "gut bacteria"?

[edit on 1-12-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Reply to Johhmike.

Never heard of "guy bacteria"?

For your doubts I suggest you click the links provided to educate yourself.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   
If only I could type "gut," then yes.

Nice making fun of my for it. I'm going to jump out a window in humiliation, and you'll be on my suicide note.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Now getting past what I could consider an attack, I guess, it doesn't say how it gets into any gut bacteria. It makes no sense. Care to share?

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
In a nutshell.

You eat some thing, its broken down.

The cells uses this as fuel.

If the fuel is changed at a genetic level, the changed fuel is absorbed, and the structure its absorbed into changes.

Bacteria in your gut need fuel, and use this as well as your micro villiae in your intestines which absorb the fuel for your body.
(This is a really simplified demo)

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Oh and here is a sobering thought.

Monosanto will not let any GM / GE food be served in its canteen system.

Nice huh ?

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   

D4rk Kn1ght

Monosanto will not let any GM / GE food be served in its canteen system.

Thanks for that information. Says everything. I wouldn't have suspected them to care THAT much for their labour. Of course they don't want them to fall ill.

To Johnmike, foregive me, I should have known it to be a typo, but you should have read the links before you put on your judgement.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
It seems to me that the majority of discussion on this topic, as well as the original article, is really just spreading FUD. Are there risks to genetically modified foods? Of course. I don't think anyone can say, without a doubt, that they're entirely safe until we have hundreds of years worth of study. But, I think the primary problem from them is the risk of unforeseen effects when the GMOs reproduce with non-GMOs.

As far as genes "transferring" to bacteria within your gut, I've never, ever seen evidence to even suggest such a thing. If this was possible, and happened with regularity, then every single food item you eat could conceivably introduce "mutant" DNA into the bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract and even every cell within your body. Viruses can obviously affect your cells' DNA in certain ways, but, we've survived for a long time with viruses.

Anyway. I just wanted to offer my comments. You know, any time you eat any living thing, it's genetically modified in some way, form or fashion. Each time a plant or animal is bred for desirable qualities, most of which have been caused by some random mutation, and you eat that item, you're eating something that's been genetically modified. Sure, there's potentially more problems when the genes are modified individually, but still ... it isn't as if non-GMO things are inherently safer for us to ingest.

I just get tired of seeing so much FUD, disinformation, and pseudoscience spread about. There are plenty of reasons to avoid GMOs without making up things to be scared about.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by shoran
Anyway. I just wanted to offer my comments. You know, any time you eat any living thing, it's genetically modified in some way, form or fashion. Each time a plant or animal is bred for desirable qualities, most of which have been caused by some random mutation, and you eat that item, you're eating something that's been genetically modified. Sure, there's potentially more problems when the genes are modified individually, but still ... it isn't as if non-GMO things are inherently safer for us to ingest.

Yes, but in this case the plants have been genetically modified to produce toxins. They kill anything that tries to eat them. They poison the ground they're growing in. But they're healthy and good for us. Yummm yummmm eat 'em all up.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Yes, but in this case the plants have been genetically modified to produce toxins. They kill anything that tries to eat them. They poison the ground they're growing in. But they're healthy and good for us. Yummm yummmm eat 'em all up.

There are many, many plants that produce various toxins to prevent their consumption by other organisms. In addition to that, we commonly add all sorts of poisons to the plants to prevent organisms from eating them so we can grow them and eat them.

The idea behind producing plants that produce their own not-harmful-to-humans toxins is that fewer pesticides and herbicides will need to be used and, overall, it's thought to be better for the environment. I don't necessarily agree since I prefer organic methods myself. But, the fact that one thing dies from ingesting a poison doesn't mean it's poisonous to everything else.

Oh, also. While some GMOs may produce such toxins, that's not all of them, nor is it a reason to necessarily dismiss any number of other organisms that have been genetically modified for other purposes. Knee-jerk reactions aren't necessarily the best for dealing rationally with a situation.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   

posted by shoran
There are plenty of reasons to avoid GMOs without making up things to be scared about

What makes you think this should be made up? The article I link says 'scientific study' and the link is reliable enough. It's not rense or prisonplanet.

I did a search for you Google search for only human feeding study conducted on GE foods (619,000 hits)

Enough to pick from. I picked two.

GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOODS MAY POSE NATIONAL HEALTH RISK

In a study in the early 1990’s rats were fed genetically modified (GM) tomatoes. Well actually, the rats refused to eat them. They were force-fed. Several of the rats developed stomach lesions and seven out of forty died within two weeks. Scientists at the FDA who reviewed the study agreed that it did not provide a “demonstration of reasonable certainty of no harm.” In fact, agency scientists warned that GM foods in general might create unpredicted allergies, toxins, antibiotic resistant diseases, and nutritional problems. Internal FDA memos made public from a lawsuit reveal that the scientists urged their superiors to require long-term safety testing to catch these hard-to-detect side effects. But FDA political appointees, including a former attorney for Monsanto in charge of policy, ignored the scientists’ warnings. The FDA does not require safety studies. Instead, if the makers of the GM foods claim that they are safe, the agency has no further questions. The GM tomato was approved in 1994.

Somehow rats seems wiser than people.

The other link can give an answer to Johnmike as well.

Genetically Engineered Crops May Produce Herbicide Inside Our Intestines

German scientist Hans-Heinrich Kaatz demonstrated that the pat gene can transfer into the DNA of gut bacteria. He found his evidence in young bees that had been fed pollen from glufosinate-tolerant canola plants. The pat gene transferred into the bacteria and yeast inside the bees' intestines. Kaatz said, "This happened rarely, but it did happen." Although no studies have looked at whether pat genes end up in human gut bacteria, the only human GM-feeding study ever conducted did show that genetic material can transfer to our gut bacteria. This study, published in 2004, confirmed that portions of the Roundup-tolerant gene in soybeans transferred to microorganisms within the human digestive tract.

If you eat the stuff, you better watch out (beside from the obvious health hazards), some day Monsanto will be there demanding royalties for the Roundup your gut bacteria produce.

Sure, no joking.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I'm going to bite on this one.

I am 25yrs old, and have had irritable bowel syndrome and acute non-ulcerative colitis diagnosed since I was 14 years old. (at least back then there was no ulcer)

As soon as I hit puberty, something went totally wrong with my digestive system, and it effectively became much like a heroin addict in withdrawals would, I'd always get "loose" never "normal", it'd always be frequent n painful, and the cramps would be incredibly painful. This was daily life.

My diet was normal. Or so I thought. When I got together with my ex-gilfriend like 5 years ago, her family and sister put me onto this organic food, from the organic grocery store. some of the same entrees that would ABSOLUTELY KILL ME can be eaten with relative ease, and hardly any discomfort later on. In fact I'd say when I eat organic, while also skipping on sodas and alcohol specifically for water-based beverages like teas and fruit juices (not 100% - too acidic), I feel a million times better. I dont get those cramps, I dont get all the looseness .. and frankly .. one has to wonder after a while "what happened".

Why did my stomach go haywire at 14, as I was going through puberty? To this day there is no precursor known that caused this to me, it just popped up one day. I think it may have had a lot to do with the food I was digesting.

I'm not trying to scapegoat my problem but, I bet that some genetically modified food or other food with preservatives and other unhealthy stuff could be partially responsible.

But nowadays I watch where my food comes from, and I dont eat just anywhere. And I have seen a big improvement over the years.

Coming from a young man who has been in torment through the past DECADE, theres something up with the food people .. no doubt about it.

Then you've got your aspartame, you've got your SPLENDA, you've got your modified "O-Lean" fat cell potato chips and junk foods. O-Lean is a fat cell made larger than a normal fat cell so that it will pass your bowels instead of being broken down and digested. This stuff will KILL my stomach, and other people too heavily report diarehea from O-Lean.

Warmed up Aspartame can be toxic as hell, so those diet sodas.. how do you honestly know they werent sitting stacked in a warehouse over the summer months, just burning up in there at 80+ degree temps? Once its distributed, and chilled, you cant tell, and all you care about is "best drink by" date.

I don't trust very much anymore.

But you people thinking everything is all kosher, it may not affect all people the same way, or make pre-existing conditions worse.

[edit on 12/2/2007 by runetang]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I think some peer-reviewed studies would be nice to see, along with a lot of specifics of what happens, why it happens, and whether or not it's unique to GM foods. I'd imagine that in many of those cases, the evidence would either be somewhat weak or inconclusive. I do imagine there are some modifications they can make that would end up being harmful to people in the end, but, again, peer-reviewed studies would be most helpful before arriving at a conclusion that dismisses all GMOs as harmful.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
I am 25yrs old, and have had irritable bowel syndrome and acute non-ulcerative colitis diagnosed since I was 14 years old. (at least back then there was no ulcer)

As soon as I hit puberty, something went totally wrong with my digestive system, and it effectively became much like a heroin addict in withdrawals would, I'd always get "loose" never "normal", it'd always be frequent n painful, and the cramps would be incredibly painful. This was daily life.

My diet was normal. Or so I thought. When I got together with my ex-gilfriend like 5 years ago, her family and sister put me onto this organic food, from the organic grocery store. some of the same entrees that would ABSOLUTELY KILL ME can be eaten with relative ease, and hardly any discomfort later on. In fact I'd say when I eat organic, while also skipping on sodas and alcohol specifically for water-based beverages like teas and fruit juices (not 100% - too acidic), I feel a million times better. I dont get those cramps, I dont get all the looseness .. and frankly .. one has to wonder after a while "what happened".

Why did my stomach go haywire at 14, as I was going through puberty? To this day there is no precursor known that caused this to me, it just popped up one day. I think it may have had a lot to do with the food I was digesting.

It could very well be that you have some sensitivity to an additive, an allergy to it, etc. There literally are many, many possibilities as to what's causing the problems.

But nowadays I watch where my food comes from, and I dont eat just anywhere. And I have seen a big improvement over the years.

Coming from a young man who has been in torment through the past DECADE, theres something up with the food people .. no doubt about it.

If I was you, I'd try and track specifically what it is that's bothering you. In my case, I have a lot of problems with artificial sweeteners as well as fructose. If I have a lot of fructose (especially in the form of high fructose corn syrup), my stomach gets very, very upset. While not officially diagnosed with it, I figure I have fructose malabsorption, so I just avoid it when I'm able.

I'd imagine you've been to a gastroenterologist and such, but, it's amazing what food symptoms can present themselves with various food allergies.

Then you've got your aspartame, you've got your SPLENDA, you've got your modified "O-Lean" fat cell potato chips and junk foods. O-Lean is a fat cell made larger than a normal fat cell so that it will pass your bowels instead of being broken down and digested. This stuff will KILL my stomach, and other people too heavily report diarehea from O-Lean.

Yeah, I usually avoid all those kinds of things. Especially olestra. That stuff is murder on your stomach!

Warmed up Aspartame can be toxic as hell, so those diet sodas.. how do you honestly know they werent sitting stacked in a warehouse over the summer months, just burning up in there at 80+ degree temps? Once its distributed, and chilled, you cant tell, and all you care about is "best drink by" date.

I've actually never seen credible evidence that this is true. There are a lot of urban legends about aspartame, but, I do know it upsets my stomach pretty bad. I steer clear of it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join