It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Teacher Faces 40 Lashes for Naming Class Teddy Bear 'Muhammad'

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
OK.

Whats your final solution to this guys?

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by planetfall
the ap is way more on the ball than the bbc on this story:

Why? I was always under the impression that the BBC was a leading news source in the world. Could it be that it doesn't support your preconceived notions?

no, their story isnt updating with new information at all, its still showing yesterdays information, the ap has all new information from todays news gathering.

careful with your assumptions, that attitude may work with fox news devotees but will not apply to me in any way.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You could come up with 5, 10, 100, 500, 1000, etc. more examples and it still doesn't balance against what the sudanese government (a theocracy based on the muslim religion) is doing.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

You could come up with 5, 10, 100, 500, 1000, etc. more examples and it still doesn't balance against what the sudanese government (a theocracy based on the muslim religion) is doing.

So I have to ask, do you have a problem with other Muslim nations that aren't theocratically run? As I said before, Egypt and Turkey come to mind.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Actually I pointed out 2 and could come up with more(including the parents of the child) but I'd wager that it wouldn't cut through the hate and bigotry here.

Let the reader decide for themselves.

Why are you ignoring the hate and biggotry being carried out against one of OUR own intrepid? Hate and biggotry sanctioned by the government of the Sudan. Hate and biggotry, and possible physical torture over a TEDDY BEAR and an unsuspecting teacher with nothing but good intentions, trying to make a difference in a very troubled region being ripped from the kids she loves and thrown in jail, awaiting a cruel sentence for letting her kids NAME A F-ING TEDDY BEAR! I'm normally a very tolerant and reasonable person, but at this point, I feel swift action must be taken against the Sudanese government for such a gross violation against a humanitarian who meant NO harm at all.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

No. Have I ever posted something to the contrary? Last I looked, no one was talking about Egypt and Turkey - well, I was on Thanksgiving
- because I hadn't seen any news items about them barbarically persecuting anyone.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
OK.

oddly enough i kind of find myself on the side of the allah fan club on this one, you know, the clerics.

i'd love to see them make an example of her and at least own up to their true colors for all to see.

i know thats unlikely to happen, they'll save face by fining her, and taking the opportunity to lecture everyone on the virtues of islamic morals, blah blah blah.

i'd rather they just let her go, maybe send her back to the uk. her career in sudan may be ruined over this teddy named mo'.

as if there was a very real risk that people might mistake the fluffy li'l bear for the real mohammad and begin to worship it as an idol...

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
Why are you ignoring the hate and biggotry being carried out against one of OUR own intrepid?

"Our own" what? Human beings? I'm not ignoring it. It's TOTALLY wrong. It's also TOTALLY wrong to engage in bigotry of other fellow human beings, be they Muslim, that have nothing to do with this. There's hate with no basis here. Just blind hatred. I WILL stand up against that as well.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

OK.

Gee, I don't know. How about muslims make the jump from the 6th century to join the 21st century in terms of their laws and the way they treat women and people that are not muslims?

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

because I hadn't seen any news items about them barbarically persecuting anyone.

Cool, maybe others here will heed your words and discontinue that bashing of ALL Islam.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   

because I hadn't seen any news items about them barbarically persecuting anyone.

Cool, maybe others here will heed your words and discontinue that bashing of ALL Islam.

Damn, you and others keep saying that (ALL muslims), when I - and I think others against what's happening to the teacher - have been particularly careful to NOT say that. I've even started using and highlighting the word "some" in reference to the muslims at issue. That, however, is all the PC you're going to get from me. The rest stands as previously stated.

What does it take to break through, here?

link   

It's also TOTALLY wrong to engage in bigotry of other fellow human beings, be they Muslim, that have nothing to do with this. There's hate with no basis here. Just blind hatred. I WILL stand up against that as well.

you may be a bigot yourself and not even be aware of it. many people are you know.

big·ot·ry 1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

i think most people could posses stubborn and complete intolerance in regards to pedophilia and those who ascribe to it. theres really no way for anyone to really respect that, easily understand it, or not hate it.

tell me, are you not bigoted toward that creed?

is this something you would tolerate? would you let one live next door to you and your family? are you assuming they might do something based on their historic behaviour patterns, traits and tendencies?

this should be interesting.

apc

link   

Uhm... yeeeeaaaah.... that miiight not be the best phrase to use.

Why can't we all just, get along?

link   

"Our own" what? Human beings?

Our "own" western sister, NOT bound by muslim law in any way shape or form. Just there with an ideal and to make a difference. That's what's important. It was said she never brought up religion in class. Now SHE is the one facing brutality over a TEDDY BEAR intrepid. Not the nameless, faceless masses of muslims some chose to stereotype whenever they can. That makes no difference, there is stereotyping everywhere. I've seen traces of it from you when posting about Americans. I'm sure there aren't too many muslims in Pakistan reading his thread with tears running down their cheeks cuz some people are ignorant, they make no difference to me. At least they aren't gonna lash anybody with anything other than their keyboard.

It's also TOTALLY wrong to engage in bigotry of other fellow human beings, be they Muslim, that have nothing to do with this. There's hate with no basis here. Just blind hatred. I WILL stand up against that as well.

I agree. But that's everywhere these days, and you know it better than I moderating these forums. But it was around long before, the target was just different. EVERYBODY is predjudice in one way or another, it's human nature obviously cuz it hasn't stopped since mankind has been here. Right now, I'm focused on the MAIN issue here, a poor woman who was trying to teach little people and had only good intentions, now she faces who knows what...

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Not referring to YOU centurion but you must have been reading this thread and see what's going on here.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

you may be a bigot yourself and not even be aware of it. many people are you know.

big·ot·ry 1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

i think most people could posses stubborn and complete intolerance in regards to pedophilia and those who ascribe to it. theres really no way for anyone to really respect that, easily understand it, or not hate it.

What's you point? Are you equating Islam to pedophilia now?

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

sidestepping the question and attempting to deflect the point with another question isnt very interesting.

again, are you not bigoted toward the creed that pedophiles hold so dear?

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Her "good intentions" are questionable.

Yes I think the punishment is excessive. No buts about it.

Was she wrong? yes.

Did she only have good intentions??? doubt it honestly, but it depends on how you look at it.

She did not show respect for their religion. That is against the law there. She obviously knew that, and knew it was something they punished for. It is compairative to a teacher in a synagogue, feeding all the 7 year olds ham sandwiches, and having them pray to Jesus before hand. It is wrong.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Damn good post. There are a few discrepencies though

Originally posted by 27jd
Our "own" western sister, NOT bound by muslim law in any way shape or form.

Actually she is, when in that nation.

Just there with an ideal and to make a difference. That's what's important.

Agreed. Teaching is a noble cause.

Now SHE is the one facing brutality over a TEDDY BEAR intrepid.

Yup, that isn't right, I never said it was. BUT it doesn't translate to all the other Muslim nations, THAT is my point.

Not the nameless, faceless masses of muslims some chose to stereotype whenever they can. That makes no difference, there is stereotyping everywhere.

Couldn't have said it better.

I've seen traces of it from you when posting about Americans.

And here is where we disagree. I've NEVER said anything against Americans. I went to the States again 2 weeks ago and had a GREAT time again. Your government is crap though. I'd wager most Americans would agree with me.

By intrepid

I agree. But that's everywhere these days, and you know it better than I moderating these forums. But it was around long before, the target was just different. EVERYBODY is predjudice in one way or another, it's human nature obviously cuz it hasn't stopped since mankind has been here. Right now, I'm focused on the MAIN issue here, a poor woman who was trying to teach little people and had only good intentions, now she faces who knows what...

Yes, agreed once again BUT we don't have to wallow in ignorance. We read, we learn, we grow. Get past the bigotry.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Well I really cant say that i've heard of any Christian countries that marry 11 year old girls off to 80 year old men...

Thats a very common thing in the islamic world...lol

Personally, I'm not gunna aquate anyone to anything... but hey if the Shoe Fits...

[edit on 11/28/2007 by Ironclad]

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join