It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magma pushing up ground in Yellowstone

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
would'nt there be SOME WAY to drill into this mess and let it do some seeping to the surface?

Ever shake a bottle of champagne and pop the cork?

Here are some numbers for ya

A survey measuring various elevations of the Park carried out in the 1920’s was compared to a later survey in the 1970’s done by USGS volcanologist professor Robert Smith who has been studying the Park for much of his life. Smith noted changes had occurred in the caldera since the 1920’s and that the middle of the caldera had uplifted by 2 feet 5 inches. Further measurements indicated that the ground beneath the north of Yellowstone also was bulging up, tilting the Park downwards inundating shorelines trees on the south end of Yellowstone Lake .

www.earthmountainview.com...

2 feet 5 inches from 1920 to 1970

And we have THIS.... recent movement

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
IF yellowstone blows, there will be a significant ash fall over an area stetching all the way to the Great Lakes. There goes the prairies which feed people worldwide. Beyond the immediate damage to infrastructure and agriculture, there will be a sharp decline in sunlight globally as the ash cloud totallycircumvents earth

Worldwide famine will be the biggest killer and it will last years, imo.

Also, I don't believe there is any way to relieve the pressure safely. The amount of magma building under the swelling dome is too huge and to 'open it up a bit' will only result in an earlier catastrophy.

Crap! I'll be one of the first to go!

The combination of tremendously cut processing of crops and the drop in temp will make it a fight just to stay alive! EVERYONE in the world would be affected...But I do believe we can make it as a people.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sator
I don't know if anyone noticed, but there are numbers that may mean more then meets the eye.

The volcano at Yellowstone produced massive eruptions 2 million, 1.3 million and 642,000 years ago, all larger than the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens.

So... it's about 640.000 years every "cycle"... and the last one was about that amount of time.... hmmm...

Peace

So we are 2000 years over due.

I wonder if this will be the giant explosion we have all seen in the documentaries? That would indicate a global event.... Which would mean that we all have to worry about this!

I will keep my eye peeled for more information.

Great thread

[edit on 26-6-2008 by IMAdamnALIEN]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by unknownfrost
Crap! I'll be one of the first to go!

Get to know some government types... maybe you can join them in those underground bunkers

So lets see... a list of things to worry about...

Yellowstone popping its cork...
Nuclear War with Iran
Asteroids ... more and more near Earth ones spotted monthly
Nibiru about to side swipe us like a billiard ball
NWO plans to wipe out 80% of humanity
Nuclear war with Korea
Killer storms created by HAARP
Imminent invasion by an Alien fleet
Missing nuke in our arsenal that 'may' be dropped on us by 'terrorists'
2012 the end of everything...

Ummm have I missed any?

Heck lets just drop a nuke on Yellowstone and get it over with

Seems some are thinking about this

Six places to drop a Nuke when you are serious

United States Plans World’s Largest Explosion In Desperate Measure To Halt Catastrophic Yellowstone Volcanic Eruption By Sacrificing California
By: Sorcha Faal, and as reported to her Russian Subscribers

www.whatdoesitmean.com...

Crazy Russkies

And even here at ATS
What if they Nuked Yellowstone?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yup mankind is DOOMED its only a matter of WHEN and who does it first

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slickinfinity

Originally posted by newage2012
Just a thought for those of you who almost dream for this cataclysm to happen... IF it does blow... your all dead... so why are you debating about something humans have little to no control over? I bet its bragging rights isnt it? Too bad youd be dead... so I dont quite understand the purpose of debating this topic. When it goes it goes, its pretty simple.

Thats a very ignorant post imo, and no I dont think everyone would die especially if we managed to evacuate or provide shelter. When we talk about stuff its a pretty good way to get a solution and I havnt heard of any problem being solved by doing nothing and discussing nothing. Who is bragging and whats there to brag about is what I want to know lol.

Actually, if you look at the models, an eruption of Yellowstone would be two things

1. Sudden
2. Globally catastrophic.

I agree the poster was sounding less than "Intelligent", however he is right about the "You'd all be dead" thing.

You yourself might want to perform some research on the subject.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
Actually, if you look at the models, an eruption of Yellowstone would be two things
1. Sudden
2. Globally catastrophic.

Were the last two eruptions of Yellowstone mass extinction events? And the second recorded one was smaller than the first.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
oops

[edit on 26-6-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

So lets see... a list of things to worry about...

Yellowstone popping its cork...
Nuclear War with Iran
Asteroids ... more and more near Earth ones spotted monthly
Nibiru about to side swipe us like a billiard ball
NWO plans to wipe out 80% of humanity
Nuclear war with Korea
Killer storms created by HAARP
Imminent invasion by an Alien fleet
Missing nuke in our arsenal that 'may' be dropped on us by 'terrorists'
2012 the end of everything...

Hmm. and I have the shopping to do tomorrow. Why are humans, volcanoes, far away stars and ET's so bloody inconsiderate?

Look at the bright side. One way or another folks ... in a hundred years time, who's going to give a dam (except our children and grandchildren)?

I still have nothing positive to add - this is a depressing thread.

Breifne.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
well my conclusion is that Yellowstone is like the 800 pound gorilla in the middle of the living room - when will it blow? - whenever it wants to - when will we know? when it blows

Living in the land of Volcanoes myself, I'm more concerned about Mt Ranier - there is an old aboriginal prophecy that goes "the grandaughter speaks (Mt St Helens) and the grandfather answers (Mt Ranier)". well the granddaughter spoke and did she ever
Not likely to forget it as long as I live...

Here's an interesting side note: After the eruption of St Helens - about ten days later - I woke up to the sound of thousands of birds in the 13 acre patch of woods behind the house I was living in at the time...every kind of bird you can imagine, owls, hawks, little birds big birds and everything in between...was the most amazing ruckus I've ever heard - they were left homeless by the blast and had settled down in our woods - a bird motel if you will...I suspect other folks have amazing stories of fleeing animals as well...

edit to say: I'd bet good money that there were more bigfoot sightings than at any other time in the area of St Helens though I have no proof - I once lived on a property in the foothills of the Cascade range that had not been built on for many years and when we moved in and started building had some encounters that were hella scary - not me personally but the friend I was building with - it seems these creatures are territorial and we had disturbed one of them....I got thinking about it and it seems to me that these big boys live up in the high country in the spring and come down in the winter when the pickings get slim up above the snowline... I would imagine that a volcanoe blast would drive some of them right into your backyard in their quest to survive...

[edit on 26-6-2008 by realshanti]

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Breifne

awwww bless your heart - don't get depressed - enjoy your life - as to disturbing news - take it in but don't take it ON....unless you enjoy fighting that is
And some of us do enjoy that (cough cough) even me
Someone much greater than me once told me - "Fear not" so I don't fear...especially things like Volcanoes - I may speculate about Ranier blowing up for example but actively fear it ....nah - not worth the sweat...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join