It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If someone had freemason jewelry

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by looneylupinsrevenge
Just a quick question to all those that would know, but I was wondering what the policy is regarding inherited items. What I mean is I recently inherited my grandfathers Ring, and while I'm not a member I would still like to wear it from time to time. However, I would hate to have someone ask me if I was a mason and when I said no demand that I take the ring off or something to that effect. Not saying it would happen like that, but I know some societies can be rather strict on their allowances of such situations.

I dont think you should wear it. Find a nice place for it and honor it that way. I have my fathers, fathers Bronze metal and purple heart, and my mothers fathers gold cross...now I will wear the gold cross I am Chatholic..but never having served nor never having EARNED the metals i would not wear them.
Although on a completely different level My father was a fire fighter. One brisk day I grabbed his jacket to run to the store (note the jackett had patches lettering on it to signified he was a fire fighter and EMT) he beat the ever loving piss out of me...."What is someone needed help and ran to you because they thought you had the ability to help because of what you wore...." Maybe I am jaded but I stood there and thought really hard on that, well lets face it it wasnt like I could SIT there and think on it!! And he was right I had not earned those patches and I had no rights to them...

Atleast to me I dont see the difference here....

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by HizToyz

That's fair.

But, it's not likely that someone will look to you to rescue them or look to you for help because you're wearing a S&C.

Now, someone might approach you and ask for you to teach them how to shapeshift.

Seriously though, if it were me, I wouldn't wear it. I had my grandfather's ring and I didn't wear it until after I was raised, as is the custom in most jurisdictions I know of. It really is a symbol of having undergone a rite of passage, so to speak. If you haven't had the experience, why wear a symbol that says you have?

Returning to my initial suggestion, read about Masonry. Decide why you think your grandfather deemed it worthwhile, and if you find it so as well, join.

Then, you can wear his ring even more proudly, knowing that you walked the same steps as he did, and earned the right to wear it, as he did.

$0.02.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I forgot to mention in my post that I work construction, so generally speaking I would be wearing it on a chain rather than my finger given the fact it would get ruined otherwise. And the only time I would think of wearing it on my finger would be something generally related to my family, or special occasions.

However I understand where you guys (and perhaps girls) are coming from with not wearing it if you aren't a member. So my next question is, where is a good place to find out the truth about the Masonic lodge? I mean I would search the net... but really I'm more likely to find a bunch of bs than anything worth while. Also how does one go about joining a lodge? I don't have a trade, or is that even required? Sorry I really don't have any clue and just figured this might be my best opportunity to ask.

Also thanks to everyone who helped answer my first question.

[edit on 31-10-2007 by looneylupinsrevenge]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Start here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

You can u2u me or any of the Brethren on this board with specific questions, if you like.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by looneylupinsrevenge
I forgot to mention in my post that I work construction, so generally speaking I would be wearing it on a chain rather than my finger given the fact it would get ruined otherwise. And the only time I would think of wearing it on my finger would be something generally related to my family, or special occasions.

However I understand where you guys (and perhaps girls) are coming from with not wearing it if you aren't a member. So my next question is, where is a good place to find out the truth about the Masonic lodge? I mean I would search the net... but really I'm more likely to find a bunch of bs than anything worth while. Also how does one go about joining a lodge? I don't have a trade, or is that even required? Sorry I really don't have any clue and just figured this might be my best opportunity to ask.

Also thanks to everyone who helped answer my first question.

[edit on 31-10-2007 by looneylupinsrevenge]

As someone told me 2b1ask1
All you need do to find out what you want to know is google "(your state) freemason grand lodge" Ask the secertary to setup a apointment with you to talk to your local lodge and then ask away!

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Neither my Grandfather, nor my Father were Masons, but I am sure that if they were, they would have been very proud of their rings. I would have wanted to know why they were so proud and maybe even why they never discussed it with me. Like the bumper sticker says "To be one, Ask one". I am sure glad I did. It is the best fraternity in the world.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This is my Grandfathers Masonic ring, he wore this for much of his life. This lay where he left it when he passed away in our home in 1993. My father also a Mason, makes me a 3rd generation Mason.
I did not wear this until I myself became a Mason.
s170.photobucket.com...

Don Dyar

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RWPBR

Off topic, but I must say I disagree with your signature. We can discuss via U2U if this is an inappropriate place. Not anti-Mason, or anything, just seeing a flaw in the logic.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HizToyz

It seems to me that to deny someone the right to honor their grandfather so that they'll feel more important is an extremely cruel thing to do. It doesn't seem in step with what I've read the Masons intend to stand for which is Charity, Fraternity, and helping all.

It seems your statement is intended to make yourself above this individual who wants to wear his grandfathers ring as a momento. Comparing it to the Medal of Honor or a Purple heart is completely inappropriate in my opinion.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by HizToyz

I had been wearing a ring that was passed down to me, with the letter "G" on a square, and 3 oak leaves in each corner. "G" is an initial in a name I shared with my grandfather, so I thought nothing of it, until I was approached by a customer at work that asked me if I was a brother. It caught me off guard, I thought he was asking me if I was black.

Then he explained that my ring was masonic, which really got me interested in finding out why my grandpa was evil, as I am also a huge fan of conspiracy theories, and I had heard that all the masons were satan worshippers, and behind every evil act since the beginning of the crusades.

I don't wear jewelery at all anymore - no watches, rings, necklaces, etc. for many reasons, one of which has already been addressed; you can wear a cross / pentagram / square & compass / star of david, without knowing about or representing what the symbol means very easily. I also think of the irony of all the pain and suffering gold has caused, along with diamonds - whenever I see a diamond encrusted crucifix, or etc. but I digress, as usual.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Back on the topid of people pretending to be Brothers....

Just last night at a gas station, I saw a masonic licence plate frame, so I approached the guy....attempted to introduce myself, and he went on about how you can buy them online...and how some other people have them, when they are not masons....and yet....he claimed to be one, but didnt want to give me a name, nor use any of the traditional methods of identification......

So there are a few people out there who are pretending, just as there are people who just dont know what symbols they are wearing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join