It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were the Leader of Great Britain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
If you were the Leader of Great Britain

this is a scenario where you are the leader of Great Britain
you are in charge of what goes on and have the final say.

What would you do,
taking in the problems that have been placed by previous parties?
In this case Labour.

What would you do about the following?

Tax
Economy
Jobs
Treasury
Foreign policy
Iraq
Iran
Israel
Immigration
Education
ect

[edit on 14-10-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

What would you do about the following?

Tax
Econemy
Jobs
Treasury
Forign policy
Iraq
Iran
Israel
Immagration
ect

Learn how to spell?

[edit on 14-10-2007 by redled]

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
After some thought, I would add that in my considered opinion, that you might need an education policy too, might help with the spelling.

[edit on 14-10-2007 by redled]

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
You've still got an etc or ect to edit.

More seriously, I have not been on this board long, but know how to debate. I appreciate what your motivation is and will suggest something later, but you need to understand that topics can be too broad. Threads are simple things and cannot take 10 topics on at once, which is pretty much where you are at. Try something along the lines of.......

'What overall change in direction would you take in Britain from today, especially where they are different from the Labour party.' Although still huge, it gets to one topic, 'direction.'

If I honestly tried to answer your question, I would need 100 sides of A4 min, as would you, not just the bullet points, but all the reasoning behind it. I'm gonna give you a smiley, coz this time I'm not being obnoxious.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

with a rude mannor towards other members
you wont last long, my spelling may suck, well mostly when i type while playing on my 360 at the same time during loading times.

if you cant contribute to a topic
dont post

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
If my first two posts offended you, I apologise, I was having a bit of fun at a ludicrous question. The last one was not intended to offend, you really need to tighten up what you are asking, for a thread to be able to handle it. I do not apologise for that constructive point, but if my style hurt, then please accept my blushes.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Tax

Drasticly lower the taxes, don't know what your income taxees are in the UK, but all taxes suck!

Economy
A overll lowering of the taxes would put more money in the econmomy

Jobs
This is something for the companies to decide on thier own, i would be in favor of as little goverment intervention into the workplace.

Treasury

Enforce a gold standard, as to not allow the monetary system to be inflated

Foreign policy

Have a small standing army that is keep to defend against foriegn invastion, have a large Navy and Air Force

Iraq
Iran
Israel

Let the other countries deal with thier own problems, it would not be my position to dictate to other sovern nations what thier polocies should be, and that said, try to esltablish econmic ties with all of them

Immigration

People should be alloud to some to the country if they go thru the porcess of becomeing a citizen, this process should be stream lined and take about a month (at the most)

Education
Privatize the education system, let the people decide what schools they wish to attend.

With all that being said i have to admit that i am not up to date with the issuies of the UK, but i couldn't pass the opertunity to answer this question, and as for the spelling, look to my sig to see what i think of that.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I find it interesting to see the answers coming from an American perspective, TKainZero.

On some issues I think you'd get support (lowering taxes, for example, but this is a vote winner in many countries).

But I'd say your idea of privatising education would make you a flash in the pan Prime Minister - you'd survive a term if you were lucky (maybe less if your party forced you out) because the change was so extreme. Even Margaret Thatcher, the most right wing Prime Minister since before WWII (possibly the most right wing ever), wouldn't even whisper privatising the NHS or education. It would spell the end for any political career, I think, given the British public's mood towards privatisation at the moment.

[edit on 15/10/07 by Ste2652]

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Interesting questions to make me think, bodrul.

Tax

Not sure if I can this in few sentences but will certainly try. I would introduce a local income tax based on the ability to pay rather than the current community charge, and give all the money from the local income to the local authorites. This would need to be balanced with a reduction on the grants from central Government

Economy

I would look to reduce our dependance on the service sector and look to with the manufacturing companies to keep and grow the manufacturing base in the UK. I would certainly get out of some of the EU requirements to tender for all major defence projects, and look to build up our ability to build our own navy and merchant fleet.

Jobs

Use the tax system to encourage business to invest in the UK, but use the tax system to hit companies that off-shore UK jobs to make a quick buck. I would a UK first policy for all Government expenditude, and have a high profile "Made in the UK" scheme and publically name and shame companies that take jobs out of the UK but still want the people to take their services.

Treasury

Leave the Bank of England as it it but would look at the Euro and the USD as a serious currency change.

Foreign policy

Return to a policy that is focussed on the needs of the UK, and less of the EU. Be prepared to exercise British Foreign policy.

Iraq

Get out as soon as we can

Iran

Why do we need to care? Unless what Iran does unless it directly impacts the safety of the UK and its interests

Israel

Leave this to the US to resolve.

Immigration

Have a balance on people leaving and people coming in. Tighten our borders with a dedicated border patrol and have the ability to put people in prison for a long time if they traffice people in to the UK. Remove people from the UK quickly and efficently.

And a score card for those wanting to live in the UK.

Education

Give schools back to the headteacher and give them to power to run their schools with the backing of the local community. Provide a broad spectum of schooling so if people want go private they can but make the charitable status of public schools very dependance on the number of children they take who are helped with their fees.

So when can I expect the call to be in our Government bodrul

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

good response

i agree with your tax policy, tax companies more that out source to make easy money, since they will have more cash to spare as their running costs would be lower.

on israel me personaly i would try to change our stance to a more neutral ground and not favering any side.

education, totaly agree its about time we stopped this pc bs and give back the powers to the schools.

and same with economy,

top topics

join