It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Nostalgia Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This post is going to date me. But since I've confessed to my age on the boards, I guess this isn't too big of an outing.

Sometimes I get nostalgic for shows that were on when I was a kid. I'm dedicating this thread to our discussion of those old tyme TV shows that we loved and miss.

The first show I'm going to mention is Land of the Giants.

I was really small when this was on TV, but I remember seeing parts of it, and being really into the idea of people shrinking so small, and having to fight a giant cat, and all the other interesting things they did.

I bet if I watched it now I'd be groaning under a massive cheese factor, but since this show and original Star Trek are two of my earliest TV memories, they must have helped shape my lifelong interest in sci-fi.

Who else would like to go down memory lane with me?

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I loved the spaceship from Land of the Giants. I built the model of it and was very proud of it for a couple of years until I accidentally broke it.

I'm nostalgic for Rat Patrol. I only saw a handful of episodes but I wanted a jeep with a machine gun on it for years.

Of course, who could forget the original Star Trek?

It almost seems like kiddie show stuff now, but I wanted to BE Capt. Kirk, and I wanted a phaser that would disintegrate things just like on the show.

[edit on 10/10/07 by Zane Zackerly]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Zane Zackerly

Yes, Rat Patrol does rule. For some reason I was never allowed to mount a machine gun on the Jeep I bought in honor of the show.

I still watch the old Twilight Zone episodes. They are timeless. When Star Trek came out I was at a neighbor's house taking piano lessons. Well, I learned more about Star Trek than anything to do with the piano. I even make a cardboard version of the phaser gun.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Does anybody remember Isis?

I was so into that show. Shazam! and ElectraWoman and DynaGirl were great favorites of mine, too. All those '70's girl superheros! It was a great time to be a girl and watch TV.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I must add in the short lived(but much loved) Planet of the apes TV show(yes TV show) I can recall this when i was perhaps 5 or 6. I love talking monkeys.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Does anybody remember Isis?

I was so into that show. Shazam! and ElectraWoman and DynaGirl were great favorites of mine, too. All those '70's girl superheros! It was a great time to be a girl and watch TV.

Yes...and what was that show where the bad guy was always "The Pharaoh?"

I also remember "Jason of Star Command" and "Space Academy".

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
I love talking monkeys.

You'd love having a job where I work, then.

[edit on 10/11/07 by Zane Zackerly]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
How about UltraMan?
Welcome Back Kotter?
Space 1999?

Of course I Love Lucy has been in reruns for all my life.

Emergency?

Yeah, young but not.

Cuhail

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Yeah! UltraMan!

Kimba the White Lion, anyone? I rented it for my kid from netflix. Cheesy, but she loved it.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Oh wow yes...Isis..Shazaam...every Saturday morning.
And Cuhail...Emergency, Wow...I had forgotten.Every Sunday night at 7, while eating Kentucky Fried Chicken....Oh memories.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Guess I grew up around the same time you guys did! I loved Land of the Giants! In fact, my husband and I were just talking about that show the other day. We wished Sci Fi would have shows like that on once in awhile. Or the original Battlestar Galactica and Space 1999.

I also loved watching all the variety shows that were on back then like Carol Burnett, The Smothers Brothers, Laugh In, Sonny and Cher, etc.

Oh, and remember Love American Style?

I really wish TV Land would show some real golden oldies rather than just taking us back to the 80's and 90's. I know they have some older stuff, but it's just constant reruns of Andy Griffity and I Love Lucy. Not that I don't love those shows too, but come on....there's so much more out there!

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
When I was a kid I liked watching Benny Hill late at night! It was sooo funny and with the pretty women in skimpy outfits, it felt like I was getting away with watching something I wasn't suposed to be!

I'm looking for the complete DVD set to go back down memory lane!

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Ahhh just what i need another thread to show my age.
Thanks MM.

How about Lost in Space, "danger danger Will Robinson"

Or Thunderbirds, thankfully this still gets played here early saturday mornings, usually just as im getting home.

And then of course there was Nightstalker, i used to have to sneak to watch that.

Then there was The Proffesionals, i wanted to be Bodie, the wise cracking tough guy.

But the one i miss the most is Alvin Purple, any aussies here will know what i mean, google it if your curious.

Be back later after i wrack my brain for some more classics.

mojo

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
What can I add to this magnificent thread???

Land of The Lost

Ark II

Johnny Quest

Nightstalker

H.R. Puffenstuff

Hawaii 5-0

James at 16

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Isn't it something how we can remember all of these great shows that we loved to watch, yet we only had about 5 or 6 channels on the TV set? Now we have hundreds of channels and it's still hard to find something good to watch. And how did we ever make it without a remote???

top topics

join