It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silent Helicopters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Does anyone know of anything about silent helicopters? I see them sometimes and at first I thought it was a UFO of somekind because it was hovering above this field and wasnt making any noise unlike a normal helicopter. I assumed it was a UFO till one was hovering near my cousins house late one night. We could see that it was infact a helicopter and I have heard stories of these type of copters. Does anyone know the purpose of these things? I have an idea what there for but I wanted to get some more information and input from others.

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by Eternal]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Silent helicopters have been around for a while now. Developed for military use. I will look to see if I can find some info to post on it for you.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
could you tell me why this is not under the aliens and ufo topic but here its a bit fague cause its not scientific news about real space related topics

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Try with Google and type " NOTAR System "

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Here is a program NASA was working on.

Link:

arc.cs.odu.edu:8080...:ltrs.larc.nasa.gov:NASA-2002-cr211650

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I just posted on my sighting of one taking off from a Coast Guard base... Apparently, these are usually black, silenced Blackhawks, that are involved with anti-drug operations... I'm not sure of the exact agency (DEA, ATF, FEMA, etc.) but I can tell you it was pretty damn quiet, and this is from a military brat, whose father used to work on CG copters...

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
ah black ops... clandestine operations. ultimate purpose is to aid the NWO. havent you heard?

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
it's just sound cancelling technology. Been around for a long time. UFO's? not hardly.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
silent copters may be a mili program like stealth or like the red october with its silent engines. Its purpose is simple to be not heard while in operation makes perfect sense to me.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
As someone who lives in the flight plan for Sikorsky Aircraft, there were some programs to quiet helecopter engine noise.

One project took a sensor and sampled the 'sounds' the gas turbines made. By inverting the sound wave you can cancel out alot of the sound emissions. Look at the Navy - they have alot of pratical applications with sound. Subs have to be quiet...

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
How quiet are they? would you say they are truly silent like UFO's that are often observed?

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eternal
Does anyone know of anything about silent helicopters? I see them sometimes and at first I thought it was a UFO of somekind because it was hovering above this field and wasnt making any noise unlike a normal helicopter. I assumed it was a UFO till one was hovering near my cousins house late one night. We could see that it was infact a helicopter and I have heard stories of these type of copters. Does anyone know the purpose of these things? I have an idea what there for but I wanted to get some more information and input from others.

Yes the stealth helicopters are almost silent. The main engine has some kind of sound suppresion system similar to the ones used on the stealth airplanes. I have a book called: Stealth Technology: The Art of Black Magic. In that book it says the system was first tested on a modified special operations MH-6, which in tests could hover in visual range without being heard.

Tim

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I have see two of these. Flying at 100mph and silent. They were dull black and had air force insigna. Were these UFO's I don't know but don t think so.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
silent helicopters do exist. i saw this show on the discovery channel where a silent helicopter landed next to a sleeping dog and flew away. The dog didn't even wake up until it heard its owner come up to it.

O yea....the show was about cattle mutilations.....

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I dont know how but thats cool

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Obviously they are UFOs with chopper disguises.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
obviously? how the hell is this stuff THAT obvious? shut yo jive white a$$ up and bring ur head down to earth!

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Regarding to the silent techniques used on helicopters,

i've uploaded a part of a discovery channel documentary about the 'future airpower'. This part shows the silent techniques used on the new RAH66 Comache helicopter.

www.xs4all.nl...
(i had to zip it because i have no ftp)

It's very interesting, size is aproxx 8mb, should take 1 or 2 minutes for a regular cable connection.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This might help im not shure, i might be wrong, but uhh the RAH 66 stealth copter hides its heat signature and the sound of its top rotor is a smooth almost silent whipering sound.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
This might help im not shure, i might be wrong, but uhh the RAH 66 stealth copter hides its heat signature and the sound of its top rotor is a smooth almost silent whipering sound.

Indeed, a Stinger missile is no longer lethal to this new helicopter. That is because the tail rotor takes care of the heat by just blowing it away.

Following pic shows it:

Many of todays helicopters have their exhaust directly behind the main rotor, therefore they still are still vulnerable to heat seeking missiles.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join