It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Creatures In Space!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Jellyfish UFO:

www.ufoevidence.org...

Is possibly caused by the surface of the object being cooler than -180 C

[edit on 2-10-2007 by Wizard_1988]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by omnicron
These are nothing more than your average normal phenomenon.
WE NEED CONCRETE PROOF.

Like what? Having a beer with an alien in your front lawn with that dork's flying saucer hovering a few feet away? Even then you'd say that it was all hallucination and a drug induced episode. Mind games being played by the CIA, NSA, HLS and what have you!

You can't win, can you?

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   
from the human logic stand point its thoretically impossible for an organism to live in the vacume of space because of the drastic temprature changes and non exsistant food sources.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
whats a space creature gonna eat? dark matter? comon people...

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh

Originally posted by omnicron
These are nothing more than your average normal phenomenon.
WE NEED CONCRETE PROOF.

Like what? Having a beer with an alien in your front lawn with that dork's flying saucer hovering a few feet away? Even then you'd say that it was all hallucination and a drug induced episode. Mind games being played by the CIA, NSA, HLS and what have you!

You can't win, can you?

Cheers!

Yes I would believe in a heartbeat when that happens. If I can see, touch or hear then it's legit. I think you got confused me with John Lear.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by omnicron

dang why everybody gotta beat up on ole john lear
i like him. hes cool

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Guy

Originally posted by supervortex2004

Originally posted by The_Guy
Life in open space is not possible.
No food, no warmth, no way to move in the desired direction.

Perhaps you should do your research. Ever hear of a Water Bear? They are tiny organisms that can survive in up to 6000 atmospheres of pressure, which is much greater than that of the deepest part of any ocean on Earth, thay can survive in +200 C and -272 C (around -273.5 is 0 Kelvin, space is 2.7 Kelvin) and can also survive in the vaccuum of space. So before blurting out your own ideas without knowing anything, first do some research. If for nothing else, at least to have some grounds to found your theories.

Yes, Sir professor!

Gigantic space worms are real!

Silly me, how could I question that?

O.K. "genius," you said that life could not exist in space. I provided you with cold, hard facts about how it could exist. I said nothing about giant space worms. So, before you go on a moron tangent, remember that you're dumb.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by masterchief117
whats a space creature gonna eat? dark matter? comon people...

We eat to produce energy, and energy is what we need.

So, if some organism could find a way of using the energy available in space maybe it could live on it.

But, once more, what I find more difficult is moving, there is only one way of moving in vacuum or near vacuum, and that is send some matter in the opposite direction to which we want to move. Loosing matter is not an efficient method of moving, especially if we can not eat.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
There are way too many things lacking in open space for it to be a life-friendly place.
What we have here, in Earth's most harsh and extreme environments is considered 5 stars luxury in the Eternal Vacuum.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Alien creatures and living organism spaceships.

I think some of alien creatures are living organism spaceships. Think, you have spaceship what not lose any gas or something and it have infinity energy. Think how strong weapons these could have too. And most interesting thing could be living organism spaceship have is automatic repairing system, at if someone shoots spaceship and spaceship get hole, it fixing automatically spaceship and fix the hole and do same type that spaceship wall like it was before. We could say these undestructible spaceships. Very interesting thing is too these spaceships is at you can modifying easily these spaceship gens and dna or insert easily some gun through spaceship wall or something. Very many things have these living organism spaceships.

One interesting thing have these do at you can cut food from wall.
Hahaha.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

Heres your proof that life CAN EXIST IN A VACUMM and more importantly in space

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by paulbrownz
www.sciencedaily.com...

Heres your proof that life CAN EXIST IN A VACUMM and more importantly in space

Actually this is not a proof.
This is just an article about experiments and tests that will be performed in the near future. It may be my bad English, but I didn't notice it mentioning that those organisms have returned from space alive and without any damage.

Plus surviving in Space for a short period is one thing while LIVING in the open space is another. And living includes feeding, moving in the desired direction and last but not least: reproducing.

Anyway, those "space worms" you see on the videos are nothing more but man-made cr@p and shuffle leftovers.
Who knows, maybe they're containers with astronaut sh!t in them?

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
One again I see people having a good old laugh at these little ideas that perhaps life can take on forms that we never expected. And so, for about the third time since writing to these boards, I have to point to this link...

Could alien life exist in the form of DNA-shaped dust?

See also...

From plasma crystals and helical structures towards inorganic living matter

I'm sure this will garner nothing more than know-it-all belly laughter but then, empty vessels make the most noise

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 04:15 AM
link   
The thing is that many people here mix few things with each other, and that mixing has no basis in logic.

Yes, life can _survive_ in space, it does not however evolve, breed or move at all. It stays in frozen, unanimated state until it finally dies or alternatively gets into an environment that is suitable for it to actually move, breed and evolve.

Frozen bacteria, viruses and other micro-organisms do not mean active life in space. A life that is travelling is not itself travelling, it has merely been forced to the surface or inside of some space rock by some force in its home world.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Many people believe that carbon is needed combined with water for like, but I remember seeing a video (which I've searched and searched for before posting this message,) which shows a place here on Earth which hasn't changed for billions of years. It was dated to around the time of Earths formation...and it contains LIFE! Tiny micro organisms living in harsh climate similar to how Earth began.

The scientists who discovered it are now rethinking about 'water means life.' Believe me, it's such a shame I can't find my reference to these claims and it pains me.

Albert Einstein once famously wondered whether God had a choice in how he created the universe. His still unanswered question drives physics to this day. Opportunity have found signs of ancient standing water on Mars. NASA's search for alien life is based on the strategy: "follow the water," and for obvious reasons, but I truly believe after doing research that that isn't always the case. That video in question I've seen clearly shows that Earth probably started with a surface much like Mars right now. No water, nothing. Yet life evolved on it. Did life on Earth come in the form of a meteorite? Who knows.

"We're so dumb about what life is because we only have one example," said astrobiologist Chris McKay of NASA Ames Research Center at Moffett Field, near the city of Mountain View in the San Francisco Bay Area. "It may be true that we sail through the universe and everything we find is carbon and water, but I would hesitate to conclude that based on the one example we have."

I have to agree. These space worms just need energy to live, and there are other forms of matter that they could feed on. People who come out with replies as "creatures can't survive in space," I ask you to show evidence. Not evidence that related to Earth, evidence from Space! That's right, you can't because none of us know enough about it. Heck, we've only touched down on Mars recently with a robot, let alone discover the very depths and physics of space!

Ammonia could be a valid alternative for example for life on other planets. Vast oceans could be formed full of ammonia, supporting life.

As for ammonia (used in smelling salts), it's scarce on Earth, but "you could easily have an ocean of ammonia," Houk said. In fact, scientists speculate that Saturn's moon Titan could have such an ocean. Life could certainly exist at the cold temperatures at which ammonia is liquid (between minus 28 degrees Fahrenheit and minus 108 degrees on Earth). Like water, ammonia is polar, and an excellent solvent. Even if water does turn out to be the beverage of choice for quenching life's insatiable thirst, does that mean carbon has to be in the mix too?

Life, at its essence, is a mechanism for turning energy into order and like mentioned above, I've seen apparent video footage of UFO's hovering above the Earths atmosphere during thunder storms. Many people claim they could be 'harvesting' the energy. I believe that's also possible as these beings could be millions more years advanced than us. If that's the case, then who are to argue what they can't and can't do!? The same could go for these 'spaceworms.' They could be using some form of photosynthesis. They could be harvesting an energy source in space that's unknown to us. As also mentioned above, we know very little about life at the depths of our planet, so how can some people stand and claim how life operates in space? Also I might add, the people who usually voice opinions on how life operates, have no degree in science what so ever!

Another example of life being supported without water could be looking for Nitrogen.

Carbon? That basic component of "life as we know it?" Not necessarily. A diamond is pure carbon, and it may be pretty, but it isn't alive.

What really sets Earth apart is nitrogen, which makes up 80 percent of the planet's atmosphere. And it's there only because there is abundant life on Earth, say scientists at the University of Southern California, who have come up with a provocative approach to searching for life on other planets.

"If there wasn't anything biological on Earth, there wouldn't be very much nitrogen in the atmosphere," says Douglas Capone, professor of environmental biology at USC and lead author of a report in a recent issue of the journal Science. The report grew out of a class discussion two years ago in a course taught by Capone and Kenneth Nealson, professor of Earth sciences.

"It's hard to imagine life without water, but it's easy to imagine water without life," says Nealson, who was on the Mars team at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory before moving to USC.

But nitrogen would be a much clearer signature of life.

"If you found nitrogen in abundance on Mars, you would get extremely excited because it shouldn't be there [if there is no biological activity]," Nealson adds.

SOURCE

There's many alternatives and possibilities for an energy source, or "how are they living" type questions.

Also life could be found deep within the surface of planets. Such a discovery was found on Earth:

The recent discovery that exotic microbes teem in the rocks hundreds of metres beneath the floor of the Pacific Ocean looks set to fuel the controversy over where and when life began. And it will also considerably boost hopes for life on Mars.

Another key factor in the reappraisal of Mars is the discovery that life on Earth extends deep into the crust. The new results by Prof Stephen Giovannoni and colleagues at Oregon State University, Corvallis, confirm the existence of a pervasive hidden biosphere that may be kilometres deep.

This subterranean life thrives without sunlight, exploiting dissolved gases and fluids percolating up from the torrid depths. The primary producers are microbes that can convert inorganic substances directly into living material using chemical energy alone.

The significance of this discovery for Mars is that, though the surface is hostile to life, the warmer subsurface may be more congenial. Miles down, liquid water aquifers might harbour hardy organisms of the sort found beneath the sea bed in the Pacific. And even if Mars is dead today, life could have clung on underground for billions of years.

SOURCE

We know very little and are discovering new fascinating things daily in the realm of science. Spaceworms?! Who knows!

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by rawsom

How can you be so sure? Just because we know of how things here on earth react, doesn't mean that that's how everything in the universe acts. There is backround radiation EVERYWHERE in space. What if there is some creature that can absorb this radiation, and convert it into matter, and then using that as an effective way to propel itself by ejecting this matter.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

reply to post by rawsom

Just because we know of how things here on earth react, doesn't mean that that's how everything in the universe acts...

Never a truer word, IMO.
And, for all those who'll demand evidence that'll back up my wacky theories, I have none. In defense, the reason I am willing to accept that there could be life existing way out there (and closer than we imagine) that simply would fry the brains of all dyed in the wool "realists", is said very clearly in supervortex2004's post.

We don't know absolutley everything regarding nature's ability to survive, and thrive.
Yes, we only have circumstantial evidence that suggests these space faring critters exist, but wasn't that how all creatures once regarded as fantastical (gorilla, giraffe, rhino) now ensconced in zoos and seen regularly on the Discovery Channel (and some close to extinction) were once viewed?

While maybe it's foolhardy to simply accept that these "space creatures" are sailing space several hundred miles above the atmosphere (and maybe also within it) without hard evidence, the possibility that they might, and the willingness to accept they might, is important.
The impossible can happen, and denying anything outside the accepted paradigm simply because it doesn't fit into the knowledge we've accumulated is, in my opinion, equally as foolhardy. If you prepare for the unexpected, your ready for anything.

After all, who would have thought that millions of years ago a simple, waterbourn creature on this gem of ours might have evolved so far that it manged to reach into space?

Edit: usual grammatical bloopers. Did I get 'em all?

[edit on 4-10-2007 by Beamish]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Guy

Here's something that will interest you. This does not concern future experiments. This has already been done and here are the results....

Lichens can survive unprotected in the harsh conditions of space, a European Space Agency experiment discovers.

In an experiment led by Leopoldo Sancho from the Complutense University of Madrid, two species of lichen – Rhizocarpon geographicum and Xanthoria elegans – were sealed in a capsule and launched on a Russian Soyuz rocket on 31 May 2005.

Once in Earth orbit, the lid of the container opened and the samples were exposed to the space environment for nearly 15 days before the lid resealed and the capsule returned to Earth. The lichens were subjected to the vacuum of space and to temperatures ranging from -20°C on the night side of the Earth, to 20°C on the sunlit side. They were also exposed to glaring ultraviolet radiation of the Sun.

“To our big surprise, everything went fine after the flight,” says Rene Demets, ESA’s project scientist for the Foton project. “The lichens were in exactly the same shape as before flight.”

space.newscientist.com...

So, are 'space worms' an impossibility?

I don't know what the heck this is, but here's something that was photographed by the space shuttle...

And what does NASA say? Spent rocket booster. Oh yeah! I didn't know that spent rocket boosters were transparent!! Did you?

Cheers!

[edit on 4-10-2007 by mikesingh]

[edit on 4-10-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   

reply to post by rawsom

How can you be so sure? Just because we know of how things here on earth react, doesn't mean that that's how everything in the universe acts. There is backround radiation EVERYWHERE in space. What if there is some creature that can absorb this radiation, and convert it into matter, and then using that as an effective way to propel itself by ejecting this matter.

I am not absolutely certain of course, but there are a limited set of elements in existence. Currently it is believed that there are 118 elements, and not all of them are stable which leads to a bit smaller number of elements that would be of any use to life.

Not all of those elements are capable of being liquid or gas in temperatures that exist in vacuum of space. We can be quite certain that anything which exists in solid form cannot possibly form life as there would be no moving parts inside the organism.

The thing is that we do know most properties of elements and whenever there is no possibility of a reaction between them, life is not possible because of that one main reason I already stated: no moving parts, no reactions.

I don't know if there are any known mechanisms to turn any part of radiation spectrum into matter, perhaps there's some, maybe not. It may very well be that we may just not know of any.

But until that knowledge comes, life in vacuum of space remains a good sci-fi story whenever well written.

My own stance currently is that there may very well be unknown large life forms in upper atmosphere, although that would indeed require it to be undetectable to radars of all sorts. One could always argue that such radar sightings would not be reported. Counter-argument to that is as follows: It is virtually impossible for every single radar station on earth to be involved in same conspiracy.
edit: added a clarification of my own stance.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by rawsom]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Although this will only hurt my stace the subject, there would also not be a way to verbally comunicate in the vaccuum of space, since sound cannot travel in a vaccuum, even though there are recorded sounds from Jupiter, so this may actually help my stance. Being that, like it has been said, there is so much that we DON'T know about space. Scientifically, light can also not travel through a vaccuum, but, we see the sun every day. Heat can't travel though it either, but, we're not popsicles. So, there are conditions in space that allow certain things to contradict scientific discoveries.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join