It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Believes the United States Should be the Worlds Policeman??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Policeman/bully, its all the same thing. If you're the guy who is doing something wrong then the policeman is called a "bully". If you are someone who needs help and needs someone to call for protection, then they are a "policeman". Depends on what side of the fence you are on i guess. The lines do blur to a certain extent, but hey, thats what policing is all about. Without it then we have hundreds of nations on earth living in anarchy. Though some folks on this site would actually prefer that.

As far as the UN stepping up to the plate to do anything useful that has yet to be proven. They are pretty impotent. Funny how the UN is nothing without the US. I'd love to see us pull out of it and see just how great they do.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
What is the UN role in the world, why didn't they do something???? If anyone is responsible for helping out with the worlds problems its them. Why didn't your country help??

The UN can only do something if the UNSC agrees. The UN is not some all powerful agency that has it's own forces. You do know that, don't you? If the UNSC doesn't agree on what course of action to take, then the UN can do nothing. Quite often, the interests of the permanent members of the UNSC prevent it doing what needs to be done.

Who sits on the UNSC? Think about that one.

As for the US "doing other's laundry". Well, I don't recall anyone asking for Iraq or Afghanistan to be invaded and actual real problems, like Zimbabwe or Dafur get ignored. Don't place the US on this high pedastool, as if you do things because "no one else will". Quite often, the US does things only for it's own interests. As with any other country and especially the UNSC members. Your not some righteous bunch of holier than thous.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Well if the burden is going to be placed on the US for giving out the amount of humanitarian aid that we do (more then EVERY other country in the world COMBINED) then i think it entitles us to do a few things on our own agenda. Hey you have to have some kind of perk for bailing out the rest of the world as long as we have.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Well if the burden is going to be placed on the US for giving out the amount of humanitarian aid that we do (more then EVERY other country in the world COMBINED) then i think it entitles us to do a few things on our own agenda. Hey you have to have some kind of perk for bailing out the rest of the world as long as we have.

Don't suppose you have any figures for this claim do you?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
We have a saying in Oz...maybe you have heard it ?

"Clean up your own backyard first"

The US has a lot of cleaning to do before worrying about the rest of the world.

And just what sort of example does the US set

Heaven help us all

res

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Sometimes you have to sweep off the porch before you clean the house so that you dont track any dirt inside.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Looks like we are set for more bogus wars, tasering of civilians, human rights abuse, lies, fast food consumption

The majority of people on this planet will not accept this. Let's just see how far it goes shall we ??

res

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Lots of folks like fast food LOL.

I bet it goes on for quite a while longer to be honest with you. My parents said they said the same things....50 years ago. They all thought the next week the world was going to end and stuff like that just like we read on here everyday. We're going for another 50 i bet you that. see you in 2057.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

What is the UN role in the world, why didn't they do something???? If anyone is responsible for helping out with the worlds problems its them. Why didn't your country help??

The UN can only do something if the UNSC agrees. The UN is not some all powerful agency that has it's own forces. You do know that, don't you? If the UNSC doesn't agree on what course of action to take, then the UN can do nothing. Quite often, the interests of the permanent members of the UNSC prevent it doing what needs to be done.

Who sits on the UNSC? Think about that one.

As for the US "doing other's laundry". Well, I don't recall anyone asking for Iraq or Afghanistan to be invaded and actual real problems, like Zimbabwe or Dafur get ignored. Don't place the US on this high pedastool, as if you do things because "no one else will". Quite often, the US does things only for it's own interests. As with any other country and especially the UNSC members. Your not some righteous bunch of holier than thous.

United States, Russia, China, France, and Great Britain are permanent members. The other ten non- permanent members are Belgium till 2008, Congo [Republic of the] till 2007, Ghana till 2007, Indonesia till 2008 Italy till 2008, Panama till 2008, Peru till 2007, Qatar, till 2007, Slovakia till 2007, South Africa till 2008.

By "doing other's laundry" means that since WWII we have not had one declared war, yet we had war in
Korea and
Vietnam, protecting the world from Communism [at least thats what our government said]
Since then there is:
Granada
Panama,
Beirut [peace keeping force]
Iraq war I
Yugoslavia or the country formally known as[again a UN mission]
Somalia [again peace keeping],
Afghanistan [the only one I agree too, if the goal would have been to kill bin-laden]
Iraq.

Now just what has your country done?? Since WWII, Falklands Iraq I and II. Did I miss anything??

I'm not saying we are right, I just want us to resign the position of world Cop...just hand in that badge boys, find another marshal!!

Notice the African nations on the UN list.........

[edit on 20-9-2007 by LDragonFire]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Unfortunatley, Corporate America's greed for imperialism and power means it will interfere and attempt to dictate to the world through threats and violence that it is either the American way, or Hell's Highway.

We've seen this for the past 60 years, invasions for dubious means, and the financial, logistical and armed support of brutal dictatorships, death squads, drug dealers, murderers and sadists the world over, which has led to millions, if not Billions the world over to suffer as a result by death, injury and mourning.

There are those (The NeoCons) who would have you believe that if the US stopped interfering in the world's affairs, stopped being imperialist, and behaved like a civillised nation it is supposed to be, than the whole world will erupt into brimstone, fire and chaos.

Those that do preach this are the same patronising types who have existed throughout the ages of empires, and who used to claim that invading nations, and brutalising their people was "For the natives own good dear boy, for we are bringing civilisation to them."

These types view anybody but their imperial selfs as barbarians to be ruled over.

That's how they want you to see the rest of the world. As Barbarians to be policed and ruled over.

They dehumanise anyone but themselves therefore, to give the excuse to urge or indeed wage, their imperialist, murderous and dastardly deeds.

It led to the enslavement of Africa by the European Empires as just one example to give.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Our nation's intervention in the world comes with a high price for the targeted nations.

Is all about wars for profits and control every where our nation intervene is money to be made, that is why the profiters of war are just behind our government making sure they get their shared.

Look at Iraq, while this is the most expensive war for the American tax payer, the profiters in corporate American that are behind this government and supported by this government are making billions.

And there is no end in sight. The Military Industrial Complex is in full swing here. What creeps me out is how some in our government is tied to Halliburton of course they want war. Its good business.

Seems they[corporate interests] control or Main Stream Media [news], and our government, and whether many American's live or die. We seem to be out of luck.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Beware the Military Industrial Complex. I trust Ike!

Ike Says

Too often our role as international cop is in reality self serving, I think this is becoming more and more apparent.

In fact our country is reponsible for arming many of our current enemies!

I think we should lead by example...

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Now just what has your country done?? Since WWII, Falklands Iraq I and II. Did I miss anything??

Err yes you did, quite a bit actually - Aden, Suez, Cyprus, (they were in Korea too if you hadn't noticed) Palestine, Kenya, Northern Ireland the Balkans, Sierra Leone and one which you must have heard about as it is the finest example of 'winning' against an insurgent force, one that the US military has been studying and trying (unsuccessfully) to emulate since Vietnam - Malaya.

I think you will find that the British armed forces have been involved in just as much police action and / or bully as the Americans since WWII but you would find that they were on th winning side more often.

Oh yes, the UNSC Permanent Members are said to comprise of the members with atomic weapons (rather than just the 'winning side'of WWII) - Imagine what that list would look like now if you amended it, there would be a few interesting discussions when they met.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by EJHoover]

[edit on 25-9-2007 by EJHoover]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? They wanted to.

I am sorry, but that had nothing to do with them bombing them because of our ideology, it was merely another attempt to grab a spehere of influence and wealth. For whatever reason, had they succeeded in doing so and taking control of Hawaii, they would have pretty much had control over the Pacific trade routes.

Now imagine what kind of wealth that would have meant considering the amoutn of trade that occurs between China and the USA? Quite frankly that sure sounds alot mroe like a planned grab for wealth, and not just some random act out of the sheer resentment towards our way of thinking and culture.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Wow, this is a shining example of world-class debate on ATS.

Step 1: Write a really loaded question

Step 2: Receive a bunch of predictable answers: of course we should not rape other countries! of course America should not be the world's policeman! (you see, by using weasel words in the question, you tend to get answers of strong agreement)

Step 3: Get a windfall of points and feel smug with yourself for being such a genius.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I feel your accusations, whether true or not, do not add to the debate, which itself has alot of merit IMO, and has brought to light quite a bit of facts. Perhaps in the future, if you suspect some kind of malicious or self-centered intent, I feel it would be appropriate, and respectful, if you could raise the issue privately with the accused and the appropriate local mediators.

The blame game still has some ways to go however, because we are going to show soon that Although the US may be exploiting alot of the modern world's Problem spots, we will come to see that they were actually mostly created by the French, British, and other Europeans.

For the current Middle-Eastern dilemma, we can thank the Sykes-Picot-Sazanov Agreement for a bit of instability and resentment by the indigenous populations.

We will Discuss Asia, Africa, Pacific, and South America a more information rolls along.

[edit on 10/1/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   

How about the UN

Oh come on the UN is a complete joke... They cannot even muster the fire power to act like the worlds police man nor the courage to do so. Nor do they hae the bollocks to intervene in any conflict.

The US is dammed if they dont intervene and they are dammed if they do intervenne. That is the world nowadays for you, like it or loath it but thats reality. Maybe the US needs to give the world a shock and not intervene an refuse to intervene in any new conflicts, see how quickly they come running to ask for assistance. Refuse an then see what happens. Keep security around your own countries borders. When someone comes and threatens your country then show your teeth! Until then take a back-seat and watch and see how mutch the world needs the US. Just my opinion anyways....

Now Now do not even go there, you know for a fact that the UK has helped the US in alot of conflicts, while going againstr public opinion.... As EJHoover has stated we have done a hell of alot on the UKS part in the World.

Damm now their Im praising the yaall and then im telling you off
I apologise.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Here lets try this again:

The UN(USA, UK, France, China, Russia): well I suppose we should do somethign to try and stop this stuff. All in favor..!"

France: "Oh well you know, we think it may affect some of our resource projects there"
UK: "What exactly am I getting out of this? Drillign rights? All the fields have contracts already"
USA: "Hey we already got our own stuff, we will not beneift much mroe from this"
Russia: "Well I sure aint going to be the only one to pay for this for nothing in return"
China: "sure sure guys, don't worry, we will keep an eye on things and make sure they do things a little mroe subtle from now on. Sorry fro the slip up"

Rest of the Un member nations: "Oh come on man guys, we cannot legally do anything unless some of yall got our back!! Please for the sake of goodness, and freedom, give us the right to do something!!"

UNSC: "Sorry guys, we would like to, really, but it just does not benefit us monetarily at the moment. Maybe if we find out there are some new drugs growing in the jung;les, we'll think about it. Yall just gonna have to sit back and watch the show for now."

So as you can see, not much that can be done by the UN, particularly because the ones with the power to make it so, do not want too.

Maybe India will feel charitable and act on their own? I sure hope so.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Interesting thread topic however i would post it this way as the orginal title was WAY to predictable in anticipating what type of responses would be given:

"Who should be the world's policeman"?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join