It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists warn of 'vocal terror'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Scientists warn of 'vocal terror'

news.bbc.co.uk

Computers could mimic human speech so perfectly that vocal terrorism could be a new threat in 10-15 years' time, scientists suggest.

In the future, it may be possible to mimic someone's voice exactly after recording just one sentence.

Such technologies would pose a danger if it were not possible to verify who was speaking, researchers believe.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
This news piece caught my eye not only because of it's obvious potential for abuse, but also the less obvious ones.

Lets talk about the obvious ones first. As suggested by the linked article, this technology can be used to fool voice recognition type security systems. That in itself is already a bad thing.

But what about the less obvious abuse? I'm thinking Big Brother in Orwell's book, 1984. But flip it the other way round. What if it was used to create "fake terrorist videos"?

Anyone who has been on this website long enough should realize that any new technology released to the public usually isn't "new". The powers that be would undoubtedly have had these toys to play with at least 20-30 years back.

Could this technology have been used to create fake announcements of terror?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This doesn't sound that new to me.... I used software that did this quite nicely a few years ago.... With computers, or even a tape recorder could fool voice recognition systems.

When you really think about it, it sounds simple to manipulate or copy someones voice with the technology we had years ago.

Of course, i would think that digital modification could be easily detected, especially from a commercial product... If I was making the product and it was undetectable, at least a bit.. I would add some sort of audio watermark.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Bumr055

True, it isn't a new technology. However what the news article is implying is that in 10-15 years, the technology will be close to flawless. Now, if that is what's said in the news, me thinks the powers that be already have the flawless version by now. What do you think? Possible, yes, no?

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
There was a article, that I cant find anywhere now, where it talked about these scientist mimicing voices like this. Supoosedly they opened a science confrence with the mimiced voice of Colin Powel saying he wanted to kill President Bush or something along those lines. I wish I could find it, but I have to go right now. Maybe someone knows what I am talking about and can find it.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
vocal terrorism? vocal terrorism? vocal terrorism!!!?

It appears that terrorism is developing many particular branches.

This is just propaganda to support terrorism as a means to an end by the "good guys."

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Maybe just another reason to get you to use an implanted chip instead of silly things like PIN #'s.

top topics

join