It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran would use 'smart' bomb on enemies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Iran would use 'smart' bomb on enemies

www.news.com.au

IRAN vowed to use a new 900kg "smart" bomb against its enemies and unveiled mass production of the new weapon, state television reported.

Tehran first announced development of the long-range guided bomb Thursday, saying it could be deployed by the country's aging US-made F-4 and F-5 fighter jets.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Really, would their ageing figher jets even get off the ground??

'smart' bomb, uneducated idea?

Im not sure how this info gets out, either their so called diplomats are not so 'smart' or they have terrible leaks in their security details!

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I didn't like this part:

Tehran first announced development of the long-range guided bomb Thursday, saying it could be deployed by the country's aging US-made F-4 and F-5 fighter jets

Wouldn't they just lovvvvvve the irony of using something made in America, to hurt America.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   

"We will use this weapon where we want to ... hit enemy's strategic and defence targets,”

Defence targets?
Sure strategic, but sounds like they are talking more about Israel than the US when they say "defence targets"

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Not sure how they would ever get off the ground and evade radar long enough to deliver such a weapon to any target.

Unless the enemy they are actually addressing here is Israel, and in that case they would have to take off from a nation bordering Israel, evade detection long enough to take out such targets.

Any attempt at that, and especially any attempt to use this against US military targets in the region would not only fail miserably, it would prove to be incredibly stupid.

But, you never know what this radical Islamic regime, some with the mentality equal to known Islamic terrorists is actually capable of, or willing to do.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Nice find. Situation is really heating up world-wide...

apc

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
900kg smart bomb, eh?

Well, at least their college graduates are well fed.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
nice shows iran has the capability to strike targets with deadly accuracy.
and yes i think iran will get jets off the ground not many but a few that will fight to the death if so more, more a threat iranian air deffences mostly would blow american jets and israeli planes out the sky long before they can hit there targets iran also has cruise missiles which can strike at the us carrier groups and have missiles that can evade radar and strike us warships.

the smart bomb is another to there many new weapons developed people say there is no war going to happen i beleave other wise with the us bullying iran into builiding its own weapons and carrying out nation wide war games war is inevitable.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Iranian air force is a joke. Even with pretty good outdated american equipment, they would be absolutely decimated. Our ground troops are in Iraq yes, but our planes and navy are ready to go. Iran would be wiped up very quickly without the US having to put one boot on the ground there.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by manzoor

I dont remember reading about the efficiency of such a weapon coming out of Iran. Is it GPS guided or laser guided? Even then it probably isnt all that accurate. America, is the worlds leader in developing such weapons, and yet we dont have it down to a fine art yet (albeit closer then anyone else).

and yes i think iran will get jets off the ground not many but a few that will fight to the death if so more,

In an Iranian state sponsored television episode, yes. In a real life scenario, no.

more a threat iranian air deffences mostly would blow american jets and israeli planes out the sky long before they can hit there targets

Periods and commas sure do come in handy.

Without the F22 on hand, possibly. However, the US would be sending cruise missles as well as its superior stealth bombers (B2) to take out such open "threats" to its air superiority. The Iranian air "defenses" would be in tatters before F-15 and 16s rule the skys.

iran also has cruise missiles which can strike at the us carrier groups and have missiles that can evade radar and strike us warships.

I believe your talking about the untested 'sunburn' missiles provided by russia. First of all, no missile can evade radar, secondly, the US is the only nation in the world to have super carriers (Nimitz class super carriers), these take decades, as well as billions of dollars to develop. I think you would be surprised to discover the americans have an answer to such threats. Lasers are now a reality. I would not be surprised if the USN had such weaponry on there super carriers for defense purposes. And no, a missile can not evade the speed of light.

the smart bomb is another to there many new weapons developed people say there is no war going to happen i beleave other wise with the us bullying iran into builiding its own weapons and carrying out nation wide war games war is inevitable.

Iran is developing cracker-jack-box toys that would prove to be ineffective in a real life combat environment.

[edit on 26-8-2007 by West Coast]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by West Coast
I dont remember reading about the efficiency of such a weapon coming out of Iran. Is it GPS guided or laser guided? Even then it probably isnt all that accurate. America, is the worlds leader in developing such weapons, and yet we dont have it down to a fine art yet (albeit closer then anyone else).

Almost all western power's have the same capability in "smart" weapons. Bit of an arrogant assumption to say "America does it better" when you can't get much better than a hit. Or do your weapons explode better or something? Maybe they have go faster stripes, or one of those little fishes on the back to let everyone know you love Jesus?

Without the F22 on hand, possibly. However, the US would be sending cruise missles as well as its superior stealth bombers (B2) to take out such open "threats" to its air superiority. The Iranian air "defenses" would be in tatters before F-15 and 16s rule the skys.

Wouldn't be so cocky about their "defences", as you put it. They do have a modern and capable air defence grid. Several sources say they have S-300 and 400's either in place or being delivered. Underestimating the enemy is usually how the big boy's fudge up.

I believe your talking about the untested 'sunburn' missiles provided by russia.

Untested? So the Russians make weapons without testing them?
Righto... More arrogance there, me thinks....

First of all, no missile can evade radar,

Really? I suppose the notion of sea-skimming missiles are lost on you, then?

secondly, the US is the only nation in the world to have super carriers (Nimitz class super carriers), these take decades, as well as billions of dollars to develop.

And that has what to do with the price of fish?

I think you would be surprised to discover the americans have an answer to such threats. Lasers are now a reality. I would not be surprised if the USN had such weaponry on there super carriers for defense purposes. And no, a missile can not evade the speed of light.

The only anti-missile system I was aware of was THEL, which was cancelled in 2004. It worked pretty well, by all accounts, but for whatever reason it was shelved. So I doubt you'll be finding it on any carriers.

Iran is developing cracker-jack-box toys that would prove to be ineffective in a real life combat environment.

Their indigenous production capacity is improving and fast. I wouldn't be so quick as to right them off as "cracker-jack-box toys", just because of your own bloated ego. A fight with Iran would likely mean many dead Americans. Hopefully, the military commanders aren't so arrogant and presumptious as you and will take measures to mitigate any losses, but it won't be pretty.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Almost all western power's have the same capability in "smart" weapons. Bit of an arrogant assumption to say "America does it better" when you can't get much better than a hit. Or do your weapons explode better or something? Maybe they have go faster stripes, or one of those little fishes on the back to let everyone know you love Jesus?

Well Mr.stumason, who is the foremost leader in regards to military tech? I am well aware of other western powers having access to such weaponry. Infact, the US actually shares plenty of its military tech with the likes of britain, isreal and visa-versa (though more one sided). What we have, you guys most certainly have as well.

Wouldn't be so cocky about their "defences", as you put it. They do have a modern and capable air defence grid. Several sources say they have S-300 and 400's either in place or being delivered. Underestimating the enemy is usually how the big boy's fudge up.

Well of course, however, how would these systems fair against an onslaught of cruise missiles followed by a few bomb runs from some B2s? You dont actually think the US would be dumb enough to risk fighter aircraft? The only aircraft that would have a chance would be the F22.

Well Mr.stu, I wasnt clear enough. I meant battle tested?

Their indigenous production capacity is improving and fast. I wouldn't be so quick as to right them off as "cracker-jack-box toys",
The only anti-missile system I was aware of was THEL, which was cancelled in 2004. It worked pretty well, by all accounts, but for whatever reason it was shelved. So I doubt you'll be finding it on any carriers.

That was actually a quote by a US general.
I used it, though it probably wasnt quite as effective.

And I agree, their indigenous production most certainly is improving. However, its not on the same level as the USA's. Call it arrogant, but it is the truth. Iran spends a measly 5 billion dollars per year on its military expenditures. The US for example spends $40B dollars on its black budget programs alone (which is back at cold war era heights. some have even gone as far to estimate it to be in the trillion dollar range, they suspect it is fed by funds funneled from other government agencies to the defense and intelligence community.) What I find interesting, and to a degree intriguing, is how everyone seems to overestimate the enemy, (in this case, Iran) by underestimating the United States military. If Iran were to "let the dogs off" what do you think the US will do? Im willing to bet we have quite a few tricks up our sleeve in the form of 'black projects', that are just itching to see some action. And one must not forget Gary Mckinnon's claims either.

MTHEL, was to expensive to mantain, and with other emerging technologies, was quite a waste to say in the least. Though much was learned from the program, and applied to various others, such as the airborne laser etc. Electric lasers are already looking likely to supercede the primitive and toxic chemical oxygen iodine lasers like the one developed for the Airborne Laser and Advanced Tactical Laser.

See also “star wars in Iraq”. Quite interesting to say in the least. What type of “new weapons” do you think the Iraqis are referring to?

just because of your own bloated ego.

A fight with Iran would likely mean many dead Americans.

Just like Iraq was supposed to be, Both GWI and GWII? I believe just before the GWII invasion the US had on hand 70,000 body bags. I do not think we have a problem of underestimating the enemy, if anything, its the opposite.

Hopefully, the military commanders aren't so arrogant and presumptious as you and will take measures to mitigate any losses, but it won't be pretty.

I assume you are referring to american casualty's? Who says we plan on occupying Iran? I then would half heartedlyagree with you, if that were to be the case. However, we can destroy Irans conventional military infrastructure quite easily without ever having to put mass boots on the ground? You bette believe it!
(black ops aside)

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I just came over this. (Video showing the new smart bomb)
www.video.news.com.au...

What I found intresting, is that the reporter said Iran is now test flying their first home grown plane.

Does anyone know more about this plane? Pictures??

Could it be the next variation of the Sopwith Camel??

[edit on 26-8-2007 by SmokeyJo]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
There's a big difference between Iran and Iraq. Iraq was a ghetto, destroyed by 12 years of hard sanctions against the civilian population with old weaponry, no air defense worth a look.

Iran is being supplied by Russia and China with near-top-notch weapons. That's one of the reasons why the US won't invade, because yes they can wipe out the infrastructure by air force, but you can't topple the government with just air strikes.

And they will probably strike back with missiles aimed at the green zone, Israël and other US military bases in the area, it won't be BS missiles like the Scuds Saddam launched.

There also have big chances that a strike back by Iran will lead to the use of a nuke by either Israël or the US against Tehran. That would be very very very ugly.

And this ``smart bomb`` will be mounted on homegrown iranian aircrafts, not just old US stuff.

[edit on 27-8-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Im trying to understand why this is news...
Iran built a smart bomb..

and they are going to use it against enemies you say?

thats gotta be a first.

And yes, Iran have develouped their own fighter jet.

Are we going to be classing this new 'cruise-missile' as a weapon of mass destruction obtained by a terrorist regime which requires air strikes in retaliation for their defiance of the worlds 'Usa's' demands?

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Do you have anything to back this up with, or is this just purely your opinion??? i guess it may be true, but i would say a long shot at the least. I wouldn't underestimate the US and its ability to wage war.

Originally posted by manzoor
and yes i think iran will get jets off the ground not many but a few that will fight to the death if so more, more a threat iranian air deffences mostly would blow american jets and israeli planes out the sky long before they can hit there targets iran also has cruise missiles which can strike at the us carrier groups and have missiles that can evade radar and strike us warships.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Well at least it may reduce the chances of collateral damage on Iran's side. Anyone that invests in smart-bombs is at least trying to educe civilian casualties as far as I can tell.

Yes yes I know, Iran is run by the devil and his demons, and no doubt they will use this "guided missles" to directly target daycares, churches, playground, and hospitals, yea yea evil this and evil that.

Moving on...

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Well isn't the whole point of developing a new smart bomb that you 'would use it against your enemies'. I mean what else would you use it for?

Is this another attempt to demonise Iran for saying something normal that other countries do all the time?

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Maybe Iran's making the own Jet Fighters now? See: www.spacewar.com...

I don't follow the latest foreign conventional aviation technology much, but wondering if the enclosed article holds any merit as to existence?

Dallas

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
They do have a modern and capable air defence grid.

No they do not. Their "grid" consits of several short rnage point defense ssytems coupled with a few old long rnage uper tier systems. There are gaping holes and high altitude paths for even conventional fighters, let alone our VLO assets. There is no credible proof of Iran possesing any deployed S-300 systems, and they deffintl do not have the S-400. Even if they did posses S-300 systems they lack the intergation of multiple overlapping systems.

Several sources say they have S-300 and 400's either in place or being delivered. Underestimating the enemy is usually how the big boy's fudge up.

I believe your talking about the untested 'sunburn' missiles provided by russia.

First of all, no missile can evade radar,

Really? I suppose the notion of sea-skimming missiles are lost on you, then?

secondly, the US is the only nation in the world to have super carriers (Nimitz class super carriers), these take decades, as well as billions of dollars to develop.

And that has what to do with the price of fish?

I think you would be surprised to discover the americans have an answer to such threats. Lasers are now a reality. I would not be surprised if the USN had such weaponry on there super carriers for defense purposes. And no, a missile can not evade the speed of light.

Their indigenous production capacity is improving and fast. I wouldn't be so quick as to right them off as "cracker-jack-box toys", just because of your own bloated ego. A fight with Iran would likely mean many dead Americans. Hopefully, the military commanders aren't so arrogant and presumptious as you and will take measures to mitigate any losses, but it won't be pretty.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join