It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia: Russia dropped bomb on village

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Georgia: Russia dropped bomb on village

www.cnn.com

TSITELUBANI, Georgia (Reuters) -- Jets flown from Russia fired an air-to-surface missile at Georgian territory in an "act of aggression", Georgian Interior Minister Vano Merabishvili told Reuters on Tuesday.

Russia, which has a long history of tense relations with the former Soviet republic, denied that its airforce had flown missions in Georgian air space.

"Our radars show that these jets flew from Russia and then flew back in the same direction that they had come from ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
With the recent announcement of Russia's plans to upgrade it's nuclear capabilities, seizing of arctic oil, and movement towards an old regime. We now have a "possible" attack on Georgia from them. Russia claims that they had absolutely nothing to do with the failed bombing while Georgia is positive the planes moved in and out from Russian airspace.

Was the bomb's launch an accident on part of a Russian pilot? Did that pilot not activate the bomb but released it due to a malfunction?

Or was there a more sinister objective?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
This just in on BBC...Breaking News....

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Unfortunately that whole region has been a mess for a very long time. Russia doesn't want to let go and in doing so people in those regions can't trust Russia at all. There's always going to be hostility, no matter what. Hopefully this situation won't be a runner-up to an attempt to seize territories.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
WEll if it is unexploded, and weighs 700kg... it'll be hard for russia to deny.....

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
A similar thing happened there in March. The U.N. investigated and basically said, eh, sorry 'bout your luck dudes. See ya later.

U. N. probe of Georgia attack does not assign blame

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a UXB? should be easy enough to idenify then.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I wonder how this will affect Georgia's wanting to join the EU.

Considering it's been going through major reforms and the President has even said
that Georgia would be ready to request consideration in three years time, and it is
a country that is not very opposed (like Turkey, even though they were a founding nation)
by the EU member states.

Russia really should'nt be allowed to get away with this, I realize military action is
not the answer, but still.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   
This is an obvious TERRORIST attack and deserves an overwhealming response that is totally unreasonable and out of to.....

woah....... just had a bush moment.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
haha actually I wonder what Bush makes of this?

I guess we'll just have to see what the investigation says when they have looked at the missile. If Georgia can show us a Russian missile and valid radar reports, there's no way Russia can deny it.

I don't see why the Russians would so blatantly fly to Georgia, drop a bomb, then deny it though?

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donoso
Russia doesn't want to let go and in doing so people in those regions can't trust Russia at all.

Is this why 35% of Georgians went to live in Russia ? Harvard "educated" Shakashshvili has locked up every opposition party in the country. Try to think beyond the NATO Pact media's interests and their (now familiar) anti Russian spin to every story.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by malganis
I don't see why the Russians would so blatantly fly to Georgia, drop a bomb, then deny it though?

well, ermm...

..because it's the Russians?

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
There's a big civil war going on in Georgia, Half the people want to be part of NATO the other half want to be Russian.

I believe that the Gerogians use Russian aeroplanes, Russian ammunition and Russian bombs.

So who's to say that a Georgian dropped the bomb and they're just blaming Russia because it originally came from them

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Well it getting worst than ever. Yesterday got info that Russia have activated their AA-misile grid around Moscow.Now it is functional and is made off hole brunch of new SA-400.They have plans in next year make the second AA defence grid.Complex near the Yamantau is also nearly completed.
Well they are arming up-only question is for what purpose???

[edit on 7-8-2007 by swesais]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Sure, it would be easy to identify the bomb as being made in Russia, considering almost all the weapons in the neighboring countries are made by Russia.

This smells like setup to me. Think for a second... it's not like the Russians to fire blanks. It's also not like the Russians to drop the bomb in someones backyard either, they typically prefer armored and resisting targets. I'm willing to bet the fuse wasn't even armed, just so the bomb would survive, and they could set up the Russians as having committed an act of aggression.
When the Russians want to pick a fight, they make it obvious. They usually waltz in with a full armored division just to let you know they're pissed off.
Dropping an unarmed one ton bomb in the backyard of some village in 'secrecy' is certainly not in their play book.

Sounds like someone wants the peace process between Russia and Georgia to be stopped... but who, and why?

I'm off to work, someone figure out who would benefit from Russia and Georgia fighting... I'll bet it's they who dropped that package.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
US Media is portraying the Georgian situation in way too black and white manner. Abkhazia and South-Ossetia were subjected to very harsh treatement after they attempted to break away from Georgia and re-join Russia. Russian troops stepped in to protect ethnic russians in the territories. So Russians arent really the agressors...

And why would they launch a single missile strike against Georgia, when commonly Russian Airforce has used exessive force in all operations it has ever conducted?

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   
South Ossetia accuses a "Georgian aircraft" for dropping two bombs.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
South Ossetia accuses a "Georgian aircraft" for dropping two bombs.

WTF??

This is all weird

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
wait first russia
-claimes the north pole?
-puts 5 genereation antistealth and radar tech in theyr old lookin planes
-attacks georgia
-start to look like fashists(there was a thread about that too?)
this is madness!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
If it was a next generation, fairly new weapon, then why would the Georgians even have their hands on one? The Russians wouldn't sell in this day and age?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join