It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unseasonably cool summer? Anyone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Ok so I live in Los Angeles county, in the Valley to be precise. I can remember how hot it was last year and the prior years at this time in the summer. We were running the A/C from sun up to sundown and most of the night just to sleep. All of July was over 100 and most of August too. This year we have used our A/C about 1/4 of what we have in the previous years. The average temps have been 85-90 and mostly comfortable. When I do put the A/C on I don't have to do it until about 1pm and then shut it off around 7pm or earlier. Downstairs we are hardly running it ever.

So today the high was 81! Either this is a blessing or a curse. Im loving it but so worried about the fall and winter. Last winter was so warm, yet the winter before that we got snow here.

I feel like this is a huge "cool down"

Anyone else in my area and what are your thoughts?

[edit on 5-8-2007 by favouriteslave]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I am in Las Vegas and even though we have had a few 110f + days so far this year, it is not as bad as it was in say 2003 and 2004 when the low at night was 98f and then during the day it was 115f-120f for all of July and August it seemed.

We even had a bit of rain last week.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I dunno dude... it's been brutal this past week in Missouri. I wish it was unseasonably cool here.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I will also trade your unseasonably cool for my unnecessary heat and humidity.

I wish I could complain about the same things!!! Hot and thick air is not very desirable ... neither is the extremely increases amount of lightning ... the rain is welcome, just not multiple strikes per minute of extreme amounts of electricity!

Enjoy that nice Cali weather ... you are the 'real' sunshine state ... we just have our moments.

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I don't have any hard data, but my feeling is this summer has been pretty average here in New York City.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:18 AM
link   
After all the usually hot summers of recent years, it's been very pleasant here in the UK. Got over 80f on Sunday but for the most part temps have been in the comfortable 70s (the long term average max here in summer is low to mid 70s)

A bit on the wet side at times though

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
After all the usually hot summers of recent years, it's been very pleasant here in the UK. Got over 80f on Sunday but for the most part temps have been in the comfortable 70s (the long term average max here in summer is low to mid 70s)

A bit on the wet side at times though

I have to agree, except I'm pretty sure we haven't had anything in the 80's here - for the most part it's been pleasant without becoming too hot.

Still, it's not so bad, because we very rarely get anything approaching freezing here either, in the winter.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
It has definitely been cooler down here in Long Beach over the summer. Our June gloom stuck around through July, it also rained a couple of times, and this is all behind that weird late winter/early spring system we had that killed Banana trees here.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Yeah, we've barely had a summer yet. It rained for about 6 months straight (and as late as last week). We haven't broke 100 yet and have only had a limited number of days we even got to the high 90's.

The only other year I can compare this year to is 1987. It rained into the second week of July that year. That winter we had 3 foot of snow in OKC which is just unheard of. I think we are going to have an early winter and a very harsh winter here in Oklahoma. If the cycle repeats itself, that is.

Just to get an idea of how much rain Oklahoma got, in the first 6 months of this year we broke 70 year ANNUAL rainfall totals...we still have half the yaer to go! BUT, this whole wild and wet period we've had was preceded by almost 12 straight months of no rainfall at all, so we needed it very bad.

crazy stuff

[edit on 8-7-2007 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
A report from Western PA. As another poster stated, I haven't seen the real numbers but going by feel, it's been average or slightly cooler than average. Usually in August we get mostly days in the 90s, a few over 100 and a few in the 80s. I don't think we've been over 94 yet this summer and we've had several days in the 80s. It's still hot and humid during the day a lot, but it doesn't seem near as bad as previous years.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
the weather in NYC is the same as usual. We had a freakishly hot winter but the summer hasn't been off by much. right now it's Africa hot outside. supposed to push 105 with the humidity factored in.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Going to hit 97 today in Indianapolis. Hotter tomorrow. It's been hot and muggy for about a week, and this year we're way down on rainfall. I believe we're about 7" short for the summer.

The lack of rain has had one benefit - the mosquito population is way down. Although there have been more June bugs this year than I can ever remember.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
first it was hot here in bulgaria but that week its been strangley COLD,dark and raining

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It's been a pretty mild summer here too; most days have been around 95 degrees or so, which is pretty mild in these parts. The odd thing is that we have had an overabundance of rain this year as well, as we are normally pretty dry here in Kansas. It has been affecting our Wheat crops as well, as they can't handle all the rain, and grain output has been extremely low compared to other years. The past two summers we had temperatures of 105-110 degrees or higher every day for months on end, and absolutely no rain all summer.

Another odd thing was our transition from Winter to Spring. It went from 20 degrees to mid-70's literally in the space of a few days and never dropped back down. That was probably one of the most drastic changes in temperature I have ever witnessed. However, this summer has been a welcome break from the preceeding years.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
nothing out of the ordinary in NC. hot as hell out there as usual. highs are supposed to push 100 up until the weekend. the little graph i get on my power bill shows higher usage this year than last. could be other factors but it's consitently higher month for month.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It really hasn't been all that hot in Texas.. We have gotten more rain this year than I can ever remember..

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
the weather in NYC is the same as usual. We had a freakishly hot winter but the summer hasn't been off by much. right now it's Africa hot outside. supposed to push 105 with the humidity factored in.

A freakishly hot winter? Wow, you're lucky. I also live in NY, though on the opposite side of the state, and we ended up getting stuck w/ 3 ft of snow for 2-3 months. Then it was still dumping snow on us into Spring!

Though, the summer has been pretty awesome over here.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
were you one of those towns on the lake that had snow for a week straight?

we had 80 degrees in January this past winter.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This is my San Antonio Report:

The temperature which normally reaches as high as 100 to 115. The highest its been is around 85-90. Normal temp around 75-85. Between Janurary and August we've already have enough rainfall to be the 2nd wettest year ever. The power of the storms have been off the charts. The lightening has been knocking out my electricity, setting off alarms, etc. One night was so powerful that it reminded me of the new War of the Worlds movie where TCruise is watching the storm in his back yard.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
So this is all very interesting that a large amount of us are experiencing cooler summer climates. Yes here in the valley of Los Angeles our summer starts in like May and runs into Xmas. Usual summer temps here are about 95-105 and its only hit that high a few days in July. Last year on July 2nd and most of that month is was over 100 everyday.

I usually spend all summer bitching about how hot it is and now Im bitching about how worried I am that its so cool in the middle of August!

I was pregnant the summer of 2005 and in August I had my boy, a week overdue! Not nice to be overdue in the summer. I can remember that Xmas eve of 2005 we were running our A/C because it was 88 degrees and like summer never stopped.

[edit on 7-8-2007 by favouriteslave]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join