It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Aircraft Carrier Adm. Kuznetsov

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Visiting U.S. Navy officers tour the flight deck of the Russian Aircraft Carrier Adm. Kuznetsov as it steamed in the Mediterranean Sea on Jan. 7, 1996. As seen from the bow ramp, the aircraft carrier became the meeting place for the First Deputy Commander of the Russian Navy and the Commander of the U.S. Navy's Sixth Fleet. Russian Adm. Igor Kasatonov invited Vice Adm. Donald L. Pilling, U.S. Navy, aboard the Russian carrier to discuss potential professional contacts between the two navies during the Adm. Kuznetsov deployment in the Mediterranean. During the tour, the American delegation was hosted to a traditional Russian meal and a display of embarked aircraft. The Russian carrier is in the Mediterranean to show the flag and help commemorate the Russian Navy's 300th anniversary. U.S. Navy photograph.

Click :329 Ko pic

Check the others pics ( Su-27/30/34/34/35 ) CLICK

[Edited on 1-12-2002 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 08:17 PM
link   
when i play janes fleet command this carrier is a bitch to take out its got ssm and sam missales also the soverrmmey (spelling is wrong) is hard to take out too

posted on Dec, 3 2002 @ 10:23 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2002 @ 09:13 PM
link   
too bad they didn't get the Ulyanovsk (i dont think that's spelled right) built completely before they figured out they were bankrupt

posted on Dec, 4 2002 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The canadian Navy should have bought it...
And we would have stole it later

posted on Dec, 4 2002 @ 08:03 PM
link   
lol

seriously though, that would have been a sweet ship, what was China thinkin not buyin it? they say they were after a carrier and there was a convenient, awsome one right there

posted on Dec, 4 2002 @ 10:00 PM
link   
actually china bought DDG soveremmy class ships i believe it was 2 from the russian navy

posted on Dec, 4 2002 @ 10:10 PM
link   
i'm talkin about the almost completed Ulyanovsk (i really gotta look up correct spelling of that

posted on Dec, 5 2002 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by KKing123
i'm talkin about the almost completed Ulyanovsk (i really gotta look up correct spelling of that

May be that the Chicoms know that this aircraft carrier is just a big crap ?

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 02:16 AM
link   
whats wrong with it? from what i have seen it looks like it was gonna be pretty sweet, very nearly on par with Nimitz

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by KKing123
whats wrong with it? from what i have seen it looks like it was gonna be pretty sweet, very nearly on par with Nimitz

You can't compare this aircrafts carrier with the Nimitz, or even with another USN AC.

The USA have more know how on this matter than the Russians. But it doesn't mean that this Russians baby is not good.

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 12:30 PM
link   
was is the term i think lol, only was i think 70 percent completed (i'm probably wrong) when they scrapped it, if they had completed it from what i had seen it would have been the best non-US carrier in the world

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This A.C was different from the Adm. Kuznetsov ? Not the same class ?

AF1

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The pics are great.
I had no idea that Russian aircraft carriers had the slope at the end of the deck. Would that make it harder to land? Just goes to show that everyone in the world has a different idea on how things work.

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 03:41 PM
link   
no, the Ul'yanovsk (how about that, i was spelling it right the entire time) was going to be the follow on to the Kuznetzov, it was on par with Nimitz, it was canceled when RUssia went bankrupt

this is the best link i could find, not alot of time right now to look

warships1.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2002 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I can't imagine why this is here, rather than in the Ancient History forum; but anyone wishing a brief and reliable account of the sorry tale of Russian carriers (or, "aviation cruisers", as they called them) - and the pathetic planes they tried to put on them - Yak Flogger Harrier-bootlegs etc. - will find it here:
www.rjlee.org...

posted on Dec, 7 2002 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Stick with "Ulyanovsk" - putting an "apostrophe" to represent a Russian palatalised consonant is a very old, very silly convention. No one who knows anything still does it.(If you know Russian, the combination of vowels and consonants conveys the information; and if you don't: who cares).
More seriously, the ship was a long way short of 70% built -and was never going to be finished.
The link I posted above gives the bare bones.

The name itself is alittle index of the collapse of the Bolsheviks. Russian carriers were always named after cities: Moskva, Kiev... (Kuznetzov was originally the Baku) and then it dawned on them that half of these cities weren't Russian any longer (ho ho). So they had to be renamed.
The city of Ulyanovsk became Simbirsk (political correctness - (Ulyanov was, of course, Lenin's real name) - so had the pile of rotting steel ever remotely resembled a warship: they'd have had to rename it.

posted on Dec, 7 2002 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Good link KKing123.

Estragon, why are you so sharp with the Russian aircrafts carrier ?

posted on Dec, 7 2002 @ 12:33 PM
link   
is there only 1 carrier of that class in the russian navy

posted on Dec, 7 2002 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I stand corrected

if you are refering to the Kuznetzov then yes, it's sister ship wasn't complete when the Soviet Union split apart and Ukraine and Russia bickered to much to complete it

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join