It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong Earthquake shakes up Japan - tsunami warnings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Strong Earthquake shakes up Japan - tsunami warnings

www.cnn.com

The quake caused minor shaking in Tokyo, about 240 kilometers (150 miles) south of the quake's epicenter. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was campaigning in Nagasaki at the time, but flew back to Tokyo to lead a government task force assessing the damage, the Japanese government reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15/7/07 by Rhain]

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Usually within a week of Japan there is an accompanying quake in either Iran or U.S. (My own observation)

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Here`s some mildly interesting video of it:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I've just heard on the radio that 3 nuclear reactors have been damaged in the quake. Apparently there has been an explosion at one of them. No link I'm afraid.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karilla
I've just heard on the radio that 3 nuclear reactors have been damaged in the quake. Apparently there has been an explosion at one of them. No link I'm afraid.

I`m pretty sure there`s only one nuke plant in that area, and (like every other plant in Japan) there`s an auto-shutdown that occurs at (or before) the tremor hits. There was a bit of black smoke coming from the plant earlier, but the news here reported it as a transformer fire.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Another quake just hit the Japan region about twenty minutes ago according to the latest news. I hope these quakes aren't a precursor to a catastophic quake.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   
That other quake is likely an aftershock. I doubt a larger one will strike soon, but these things can happen.

See? Perfectly safe in an earthquake zone. I can't see what all the fuss is about.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   
There was some minor damage and fire in parts of the nuclear power plants, but apparently the fire is all out and there was no and never any danger of radiation leaks.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
A couple of the news sites are now reporting that some radioactive water HAS leaked from a nuclear plant.

Large breaking news banner here.
And here as well.

[edit on 16-7-2007 by jhanks28cold]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhanks28cold
A couple of the news sites are now reporting that some radioactive water HAS leaked from a nuclear plant.

I've just heard the same reported on BBC's Radio Five Live.

Here it is:

A strong earthquake in central Japan has damaged a large nuclear power plant causing a leak of radioactive material, officials at the plant have said.

Source.

[edit on 16/7/07 by Implosion]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The radioactive leak was from the world's largest nuclear plant. They say there's "nothing to worry about", so I guess there's nothing to worry about...

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Possible second leak:

Japanese officials are investigating the possibility of a second radioactive leak from a nuclear plant, following Monday's earthquake in central Japan.

Drums with low-level nuclear waste fell over during the tremors, and some of their lids were found open.

Source.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Nuclear waste being stored in drums that can open just from falling over!? Am I the only one who finds that outrageous? You would have thought that having the world's largest nuclear facility in an earthquake zone, some sort of extra safety feature would have been useful.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   

The latest admissions by Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) have reignited fears about nuclear safety in a country that relies on atomic power for one-third of its electricity but has faced repeated cover-ups of past accidents by atomic power utilities...

TEPCO had initially said the earthquake had not caused any leaks, but it revealed on Monday night that 1,200 liters of radioactive water had sloshed into the sea from its Kashiwazaki-Kariwa plant in Niigata...

Then on Tuesday, TEPCO officials confirmed a media report that said about 100 drums containing nuclear waste at a warehouse had fallen over and "several" lost their lids.

Only about half of 22,000 drums had been inspected so far, Nagao Suzuki, a TEPCO nuclear operations official, told a news conference in Tokyo. A TEPCO spokesman later said there was no impact on the environment or people...

Source,

There may be leaks that are yet to be discovered.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I lived in california most of my life. And whenever there was a big earthquake in japan, within one year the west coast of the united states would get a sizable quake also. So we will see if this is the case in the near future. And hope its not the big one this time. Here is the relation of why this happens.

pubs.usgs.gov...

They say that the big one is over due in california. I was living in northridge cali. when the 1994 quake hit. And i can tell you , when it hit it was nothing like any other earthquake in the past. Normally you hear them coming. This one hit so hard that at the time i thought a meteor had hit the area. here is the stats on that quake

www.data.scec.org...

i personally thought that the magnitude of 6.7 was down played.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
There were not 100 drums but 400 drums of radioactive waste that toppled over, and about 40 of them lost their lids. The radioactivity in the water that leaked into the sea was about 50% higher than first reported. And it turns out that the nuclear plant (world's biggest) has been built directly above the fault line. They knew about the fault line when they built the plant in 1980, but they concluded that it was inactive. The plant was designed to resist a magnitude 6.5 earthquake.

Japanese nuclear plant may be on quake fault line

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Wow, so they know that the country is vulnerable to earth quakes Yet they plan on adding 10 percent more than they already have. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. And how can they say that the spillage wasnt enough to cause harm. I would think that any amounts of radioactive waste would be harmful to the eco system and to people. A catastrophic earthquake will not only cause major fallout, but a wall of water will also be devastating to the west coast of the usa. Possibly spreading toxic waste into the oceans and killing mass aquatic life.

Where is this free energy when you need it.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Here's a video showing some of the damage at the Kashiwazaki Kariwa nuclear plant. Huge cracks everywhere... It's in Japanese, so I don't understand a word...

Kashiwazaki Kariwa nuclear plant

new topics

top topics

join