It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientology explaination

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Because I don't want to read through a bunch of BS just to get the jist of this religion. I'm just asking that someone give me a brief explaination of the story behind it and their beliefs. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This pretty much sums it up.

www.youtube.com...

The YouTube VIDEO button doesn't work for some reason.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I clicked on your link because i thought you had the answer!

I cant do UTube on this.

I'd be interested to find out the answer myself just out of curiosity.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It's something about some space queen gonna come down and bite off Tom Cruise's head.

Peace

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
THIS is the official Scientology site. I have found that it is best to ask the people actually of a certain religion what they believe, rather than going to others outside the religion.

Always go to the source.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
They are correct, though.

I live close to Clearwater, (will be closer in about 6 weeks, as I am moving to St. Pete), where I believe it got founded.

From Wikipedia:

Xenu (sometimes Xemu) is introduced as an alien ruler of the "Galactic Confederacy" who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of people to Earth in spacecraft resembling Douglas DC-8 airliners, stacked them around volcanoes and blew them up with hydrogen bombs. Their souls then clustered together and stuck to the bodies of the living. Scientologists believe the alien souls continue to do this today, causing a variety of physical ill-effects in modern-day humans. Hubbard called these clustered spirits "Body Thetans", and the advanced levels place considerable emphasis on isolating them and neutralizing their ill effects.

Theres a lot to this religion, it is very interesting, but pretty weird in my opinion. Plus you end up paying a lot of money to this organization to cleanse yourself, which is where the "cult" part of it comes into play.

A lot more here:

en.wikipedia.org...

But South Park did do a pretty good job at summarizing it.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
wiki has a fairly entertaining article on L. Ron Hubbard and also Scientology. Worth reading both as Scientology was very much his own creation and his own personal history shows him in a fairly clear light.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
You have GOT to be kidding me! These people seriously believe in this crap?! Wow! Thats....wow....and I thought Mormons were out there....but this....this takes the cake...I'm still in shock from what I have just read...

Edit: Censor circumvention.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by intrepid]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Not only that. They want your money, all of it.

Check xenu.net for some real info, not just cult propaganda from their official site.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
There is no better legitimate religion than Opus Dei.

They're kinky.

Years ago i tried to read a book by Ron Hubbard, and i couldnt get past the first page!!!

[edit on 28-6-2007 by dgtempe]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
There is no better legitimate religion than Opus Dei.

They're kinky.

Years ago i tried to read a book by Ron Hubbard, and i couldnt get past the first page!!!

[edit on 28-6-2007 by dgtempe]

Ron Hubbard sounds like a jackass. I'd slap the taste out of his mouth, for real. I just can't believe people actually buy into this crap...it's insane. I bet most of the movie star types are only a part of it as a fad.

And I've heard of Opus Dei, but I don't know a damn thing about them either.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Wanna see how serious they are about their religion?

Watch this!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Some european countries are getting a bit fed up of the scientology/cult thing and are using the cult reason as a means to try and ban them

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It has to be said though that they take their "religion" very seriously.

Stories of people being followed, victimised, harrassed - just a few of the milder things they are capable of.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Some european countries are getting a bit fed up of the scientology/cult thing and are using the cult reason as a means to try and ban them

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It has to be said though that they take their "religion" very seriously.

Stories of people being followed, victimised, harrassed - just a few of the milder things they are capable of.

I would seriously, at this point, love to meet someone who believes in this BS. I would straight dropkick them in the face. Try to knock some sence into them.

But, uh oh, I forgot. These cult SOBs will most likely hunt me down...

Hey Scientologistsisis...try the punch, it's good.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
ron hubbard was a great science fiction writer and an even greater con-artist lol.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
What's REALLY wierd about Scientology is the fact that Leah Remini and these other Scientologists publicly state that it's there job to convert Jennifer Lopez (speaking of Remini). It's like they've been assigned someone to convert and they must get it done. She'd have to do more than just talk to get me to convert.

Peace

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
I would seriously, at this point, love to meet someone who believes in this BS. I would straight dropkick them in the face...

Oh yeah.....That's the spirit!...Violence solves all your problems doesn't it?

Why can't you just let them believe what they want rather than holding them to your standards?

Do their practices have an effect on you, other than what you let it do to your mental capacity to think rationally?

EDIT: Why is this thread still open for discussion? It's basically a bash-fest of something that someone here might believe.... I don't personally, but just because I don't does not entitle me to make fun of it....

[edit on 28-6-2007 by Azazelus]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

And I've heard of Opus Dei, but I don't know a damn thing about them either.

They are a group under the Catholic Church umbrella.
They believe in 'all for God'.
Daily prayer - Rosary and Divine Office.
Daily Mass if possible.
Penance (no, not whipping themselves, but other 'offer upppers')

Opus Dei is not at all connected with Scientology.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I would suggest that you, Echo3Foxtrot, share your beliefs in religion so that we all may laugh and poke fun at them....

How do you start a thread wanting to understand something, and then end up mocking it?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azazelus

I would seriously, at this point, love to meet someone who believes in this BS. I would straight dropkick them in the face...

Oh yeah.....That's the spirit!...Violence solves all your problems doesn't it?

Why can't you just let them believe what they want rather than holding them to your standards?

Do their practices have an effect on you, other than what you let it do to your mental capacity to think rationally?

EDIT: Why is this thread still open for discussion? It's basically a bash-fest of something that someone here might believe.... I don't personally, but just because I don't does not entitle me to make fun of it....

[edit on 28-6-2007 by Azazelus]

You may be right. But I believe I am entitled to say what I please about it due to the fact that I risk my life just so they can have the freedom to believe in what they do. Just like I put my life at risk so people can freely talk badly about the military. Sure it angers me that people would, but it's part of the rights and freedoms that we are guaranteed to have.

I was raised Catholic. Wanna point and laugh at that, go ahead. I could care less.

One more question. Is this classified as a religion or cult?
[edit on 28-6-2007 by Echo3Foxtrot]

[edit on 28-6-2007 by Echo3Foxtrot]

<<   2  3  4 >>

join