It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand Judge Blocks Name for Baby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

New Zealand Judge Blocks Name for Baby

news.aol.com

Actress Gwyneth Paltrow named her baby after a fruit, Apple. Comedian Penn Jillette chose Moxie Crimefighter for his spunky daughter. And while unusual names may be a Hollywood staple, some believe it may cross the line in the real world.

One New Zealand judge even blocked one family from using the name it chose. The judge said the name was unfair to the child.

"Initially, the reaction is, 'Are you for real?'" said Pat Wheaton, the New Zealand father who was blocked from naming his son 4Real.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24/6/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Can a judge tell the parents what not to name a baby? I guess he did...fair? Do you think it is really in the childs best interest? Interesting story...

news.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Ok I'm all for unique names but ya there does have to be a limit.I mean really.4Real is a saying not a name.I side with the judge on this one.If they want to call him that as a nickname well whatever, but not his legal name.I can just see him legally changing it when he gets old enough.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
HA!!

4Real.. It sounds like a crappy boy band. But honestly, I've heard some crappy names, but who are any of us to say what parents should name their kids. Maybe if he didn't put the number in the name there wouldn't be so much of a stink over it.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
While in America, things like names could easily be controlled by the government, I would guess it's the same sort of issue in New Zealand.

I think we should be able to name our children whatever we want, really. But when it comes to the proper paperwork (Birth Certificate), the government has the last say.
Many believe we do not own our children, but the government does, as it is.

They can be taken from us for any reason or no reason at all, in some cases. So why shouldn't the government just run some kind of random name generator every time a child is born? Why not just give us an appropriate name to use?

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
It's not the first example of awful names being turned down here. I support the Government doing this. Crappy names are a form of subtle child abuse.

If you bring kids into the world, then you have a duty to care for them.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
You know I always hated my name as a kid. But, as I grew up, I developed a new respect for it, and now I love it. If the courts had told my mother that I can't have this name because it goes against the norm, then I'd be pretty ticked off. It's not safe to keep a list of government approved names on the books, and this seems to be one step away from just that.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
No one has mentioned Frank Zappa yet?

Aren't his kids called Moon unit and zeeble!

Personally I quite like the name 4real as long as they have him a sibling and call them Straight Up.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
No one has mentioned Frank Zappa yet?

Aren't his kids called Moon unit and zeeble!

Personally I quite like the name 4real as long as they have him a sibling and call them Straight Up.

I think it's Dweezle Zappa actually,

And 4real's brother should be Str8up, just to keep up the theme.

new topics

top topics

join