It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything/(one) banned so quickly?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
well said redseal.

i have never quite figured you out because your first few posts at ATS were totally unreadable cra*p in the 911 forum, but recently you are making more and more sense.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by flice

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

2) Follow the terms and conditions. We don't pay to use this website. The costs fall upon the ones who run the website and/or their affiliates. Hosting costs money. Then to host a major message board with tons of posts costs even more money. Then to have a nice design like this website costs even MORE money. Then you throw on how many people are registered here and continue to register everyday, that's more money you have to spend on databases. Not to mention bandwidth. So since we don't pay for it, we really have no right to say how things should and shouldn't be on this website. You may think it's unfair for this or that, but it's the Admins' call, not ours. If you contribute to the overall cost of this website, then you can have some say. But outside of that, we're really at the mercy of their policies, and we just have to deal with it.

[edit on 6/22/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

With respect but that is also bs... Last I checked I was a free man in a free world (or so I like to believe) and I can at any time question the way any kind of service provided to the public is being handled, wether it has costs or is free. If we can't question services provided then we are the mercy of it just like we would be if we couldn't question our own government and its leaders...

If you were hungry and I offered you a burger full of mold, would you question my intentions or would you eat without thought?

Then don't use the service. It's as simple as that. You may be a free man in an allegedly free world, but if you don't help pay for the costs, then you really have no legal say in what does and doesn't happen on that website, property, or what ever the situation is in regards to. Sure, you can voice your opinion. But in the end, you really have no right to change anything. That's how it works, my friend.

As to your last question, I'd walk away. That's the other option you left out.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   
There is another category of member that is banned relatively quickly.
And that's a previously banned member, rejoining with a new name.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Doesnt it really come down to the fact that if someone says something kind of crazy then most will assume it is a hoax therefore they will be banned. For example if someone says "A ufo landed in my backyard and I had a 15 min convo. with an alien and he stole my dog". Not saying that I would believe them but....you never know. I guess my thing is you can easily spot people who are PURPOSELY trying to hoax ats via pics or video. But if someone is telling a story..how do you really know? I mean provided they are staying within the guidelines of ATS and arent cussing people out for not believing them and such....I'm not saying we shouldnt ban them..i really dont care at this moment.. I'm more worried people being banned with regards to other situations...
Btw if I said that alien story happened to me would i be banned?
(it didnt im just trying to see how the rules would work)

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   
There are ways of telling people info.

From this guys second post it was obvious he was a hoax looney tune.If you have Info don`t ask people to ask you simple post it.

He couldn`t spell correctly or use intelligent termonology (I can`t spell either, but I also arn`t working at A51)

Adding a simple set of numbers was bad, how the hell could a person above a 79 IQ think that was evidence.

I think it would have been better to leave him post for longer as long as the members didn`t insult or break T&C it would have been interesting how far he could go.

[edit on 23-6-2007 by nescafe8572]

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
No one is instantly banned. People who come here and say "I was working in Area 51 and aliens are REAL!" aren't just banned. They are asked to provide evidence of their claims which is usually in the form of army identification or photos. A lot of the time these requests for evidence are either ignored or (more foolishly) shouted down. In these cases a ban is inevitable.

In my few years here, I have never seen anyone get banned without undue reason. The admin all seem to be fair, just and weigh things up before acting.
And for an Overlord, SO is pretty lenient. He doesn't make us bathe in acid before a banning any more.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
redseal, ive been here 3 summers now and im utterly amazed at how many "hoaxes" pop up. Im not sure if its a boredom on the kiddies part getting out of school or what the deal is but the increase in summertime crud is crazy. Stick around longer and you will see for yourself.

Now a banning of a member is something done by the staff and owners after great discussion and communication behind the scenes. We as mere members dont see all that happens to bring it about. Calling for someone to be banned by the members doesnt drive a staff member to magically push the ban hammer button. Its done with thought out actions. Ive personally seen a member or two start their stay here on a BS note but after discussion from the staff with said member, they are still here and are now good contributors.

My advice, take most posts that cant, dont, wont provide evidence with a grain of salt, investigate everything for yourself, make your own decisions and enjoy this Awesome community we call ATS, BTS, PTS.

My 2cents.

Silver

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Hi redseal,

Let me re-affirm that we do not simply ban people for appearing to follow similar trend pattern as previous hoaxers.

S1LV3R4D0 have given a very good overview of this action.

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
Now a banning of a member is something done by the staff and owners after great discussion and communication behind the scenes. We as mere members dont see all that happens to bring it about. Calling for someone to be banned by the members doesnt drive a staff member to magically push the ban hammer button. Its done with thought out actions. Ive personally seen a member or two start their stay here on a BS note but after discussion from the staff with said member, they are still here and are now good contributors.

When a potential hoaxer is identified by staff, all staff have a little button on the screen to raise an alert in the Mods-only forum. Staff then chime in, do our behind-the-scenes investigation and draw a mutual conclusion.

Individual mods do not arbitrarily slap down members into oblivion. In fact, they do not have the ability. All bannings must be agreed before implementing as a solution.

In terms of yourself thinking a ban was placed in an extremely quick fashion, we do have alot of administration tools in place to identify previously banned members and methods of relationing trouble makers to sock puppet accounts. This, along with some "interesting" opening posts from new accounts, can aid in quickly re-banning a returning troublemaker.

Note: The administrators here have openly stated on a number of occasions that we will happily ignore returning banned members under new names if they seem to show "they have seen the light"... for example, they are actually following the Terms & Conditions we created to keep this place running smoothly.

We actually have had at least one returning banned member rise up to become a member of staff. Plus, Redseal's own admission that he is still here after breaking some rules is evident that we realise people are human, and at times, flip or have a rant. It happens, but we will only tolerate it if it's not an everyday occurence. Again, our guide is the T&C.

We will not simply ban accounts because of a public outcry through the Complaints form, unless staff investigation shows this to be valid and banning is the last option. We do U2U trouble-members and politely ask them to review the T&C and give some words of wisdom. Alot of these replies are simple obscenities.

I have great respect for the mod team on The Above Network sites, and I will not tolerate members barrading staff with filth if they are not happy they can't come here and violate the T&C in their posting styles. We adhere to a greater level of communication.

Originally posted by redseal
You may be "good" at spotting hoaxes, but no one is a "true master"
And even they get bit once in awhile!!

I do not recall a time when we have inadvertently banned someone incorrectly, but I can assure you that on the odd occasion we do make a mistake, we will openly apologise. I did so recently here. We are human, but at the same time the idea of mods being "power-hungry" is ludicrous, they are volunteers giving their free time to uphold the principles of ATS/BTS/PTS, etc.

Originally posted by junglelord
Well put...some amount of arrogence on their part for sure, but its their place and absolute power corrupts absolutely....
shocking....

Junglelord, give it a break, you are an example of a member who comes here for no reason but to bash the mods at any opportunity. Try to learn to contribute something worthwhile!

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos
Doesnt it really come down to the fact that if someone says something kind of crazy then most will assume it is a hoax therefore they will be banned. For example if someone says "A ufo landed in my backyard and I had a 15 min convo. with an alien and he stole my dog". Not saying that I would believe them but....you never know.

Of another interesting point here, ATS isn't the only site on the World Wide Web! We often find through common-sense Google searching that someone here purporting to make outlandish claims is often registered on another board slandering ATS as a group of nerdy fools who believe anything and is testing his nonsense.

Perfect example of five minutes of grade-school level research that allows us to identify trouble-makers in a short space of time. With many mods online at one time, it is possible to build cases for keeping members on the site, or removing their posting ability as an identified hoaxer.

Moving on, lets get back to discussing some real conspiracies! We are here to keep the peace, not take over the world.

Edit: spelling

[edit on 24-6-2007 by SimonGray]

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hi red how you doing, Its all about transparency, you ourself have given details of whom you are, married, a wife children and you like fishing, yes those could be lies , you could be right now sat in a bunker somewhere but your statements are easily verified, you claim to be nothing other than the norm.

People who state they "Know" invariably dont, this site is made up of those who seek the truth, truths no matter how small or great. Unfortunately there are those who see it as sport to toy with the members of ATS, a wind up, a weez, having a laugh etc. but to the serious researcher to those who wish to communicate with others this is most anoying.

Those who know the truths or who have them, who are they, well they will not announce their truths/knowledge on ATS. Its not because we will not believe them but rather that we are not the right recipants of such knowledge, ergo one can usually assume thst when a person states they have the truth they will not.

Knowledge and power is for the few and not the masses.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Any of you think for a minute that it was an already banned member who got caught trying to start a new account?

That's a real possibility. There's always people trying to beat the system.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Ok "tail between leggs here"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This does seem to be a little much, Yesterday if I could have known that another "government leak" would have happened I wouldnt have even bothered!

But 2 in 2 days!!??

Well, lets just leave this to the experts!

I can wire your house, but I am the last one to ask how to put plumbing in!

Lesson learned.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Hi red how you doing, Its all about transparency, you ourself have given details of whom you are, married, a wife children and you like fishing, yes those could be lies , you could be right now sat in a bunker somewhere but your statements are easily verified, you claim to be nothing other than the norm.

People who state they "Know" invariably dont, this site is made up of those who seek the truth, truths no matter how small or great. Unfortunately there are those who see it as sport to toy with the members of ATS, a wind up, a weez, having a laugh etc. but to the serious researcher to those who wish to communicate with others this is most anoying.

Wow this is a little wierd, I AGREE WITH MUSHY!

Yes it does seem those in the "know" really dont. And also to all of us whom do seek the truth (regardless of which side you are on!! :-) ) The bs does seem to get in the way, and I agree is anoying!

As for my statements, ya I have kids, like fishing(just got back from fishing now, got 2 ok sized bass), am married, and I think I have stated this before am an electrician. I have nothing to hide, no glamourus stories etc, but I just hope for the day that someone does have a "breakthrough" Annocement, and that it is backed up somehow!!

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
When a potential hoaxer is identified by staff, all staff have a little button on the screen to raise an alert in the Mods-only forum. Staff then chime in, do our behind-the-scenes investigation and draw a mutual conclusion.

Individual mods do not arbitrarily slap down members into oblivion. In fact, they do not have the ability. All bannings must be agreed before implenting as a solution.

Now there is one headache I can attest too.

Banning a member from this board is not something any single mod can do. An Amigo or Super is differant, but they still have to go thru the leg work and it can be draining.

The discussions behind the scenes are both a blessing and a curse. The mods you see are the ones that can somehow balance that. They deserve our respect.

<< 1   >>

join