It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The body and mind as a weapon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
no use for your karate or what ever.

i will kill you 1 km before you get me.

but if it comes to fighting.

well then i know how to fight to kill only.

as maybe some of you studed there is points on the human body that are the weakest and with those points its easiest to kill.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I had weapons training myself and in any REAL combat would shot first. I too have studied the weak points of the body, part of the maritial arts is learning anatomy and where to strike. I have allways believed that if you cannot take out your target in one or two moves you are probibly screwed. Most people would be suprised to learn how many places on the body a well placed blow will kill or cripple.

My son fights in tournaments but that is just a sport not really combat so you use different strikes.

I study martial arts for the self discipline and mental focus for self protection I carry a gun.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I don't really think the martial art is as important as a complete fighter, pretty much what Bruce said. You have to be efficient and comfortable in all ranges, from distance, to trapping range, to the clinch, to the ground and back, being a well rounded fighter is the key.

Crosstraining in boxing, thai boxing, wrestling and ju-jistu are what a lot of today's top Mixed Martial Artists do.

But just for the "art" and not particularly for fighting, most chinese martial arts are beautiful, and physically challanging. Tai chi and chi gong can help to strengthen the mind and body, promote health in both.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
as I alreadly maybe said.

tournament and REAL fighting (where you KILL) and WAY different

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

I've spent 9 years learning Isshinryu Karate, 5 years with Kung Fu, 3 years with Tae Kwan Do, and have spent a few months now with Jeet Kun Do.

Which form did you prefer? or you tried to blend them?

I blend them as often as I can. In my mind, and in the eyes of people that have sparred with me, it makes my moves a whole lot less predictable. I find that by blending forms I can adapt a sort of personalized fighting style that works best for me.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaoszero

I blend them as often as I can. In my mind, and in the eyes of people that have sparred with me, it makes my moves a whole lot less predictable. I find that by blending forms I can adapt a sort of personalized fighting style that works best for me.

what if you are fighting a person who doesnt blend or fight to beat.

but he fight to kill.

what would you do?

how would you blend with him?

Out,
Russian

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
You must have been a gas in barracks room brawls.

posted on Jan, 12 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian

but he fight to kill.
what would you do?

He could just wait till you aim right, and kill him, one kilometer away...heh?

Being a martial artist doesn't make you tough. Shooting people from 1 kilometer do... Now that's manly!

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid

He could just wait till you aim right, and kill him, one kilometer away...heh?

Being a martial artist doesn't make you tough. Shooting people from 1 kilometer do... Now that's manly!

UH?

Martial arts is art.

Killing is killing.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaoszero

but he fight to kill.

what would you do?

Out,
Russian

If someone comes up on me with the intention to kill me, then most likely they will kill me. I'm not an immortal, I don't dodge bullets, and I certainly can not sense a sniper lining up a headshot from several hundred metres away. However, in the case that someone is actually FIGHTING, not set on committing homicide, I'm certain that I can defend myself.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
mind pattern. focus. breathe. chi. centerline. these are the keys to success, IMHO. i had a couple guys teach me some serious ass-whooping shyte. it's poetry in motion. i can pack a serious whollop without hurting myself now. YAY!
my mind patterns will never allow me to fight, though.
you fight yourself, in reality. karma and whatnot.

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I am sick of this mind pattern shyte.

If you fight you either fight to kill or severely hurt your opponite.

That is all I know or need to know.

Also I know how to do both.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
"what if you are fighting a person who doesnt blend or fight to beat.

but he fight to kill.

what would you do? "

Kill him first or die same as you

I understand what you are saying real combat is different than tournament fighting.

I know because I have done both.

As I said the arts are a physcal mental and spiratul exersise to me. A way to focus my body and mind and a real good way to keep in shape. If I am attacked I will try to take the SOB out in the quickest easiest manner possible

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I agree.

I am looking for a form with more throws to add to ours go-ju is more of a boxing style with a few basic kicks through in.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   

UH?

Martial arts is art.

Killing is killing.

Well this thread was about martial arts, thank you.

Again, more bull#. I fighted several times just for the training, for excercise. Or sometime just for fun, with friends, usualy when we're drunk or something...

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

3. Hwrang-Do- (I may have spelled this one wrong..it's been a while since I have even thought of this stuff) This is a high end Korean form that starts where Tae Knon Do leaves off. While I have a personal bias against high kicks, this is the exception. Remember Billy Jack? This is the style the actor and his wife studied for years.

I am not much of a one for high kicks either, my son fights in tournaments and I discourage kicks much above the waist. They might look good in the movies but if you try try to kick some one that knows what they are doing in the face you will probably get crippled. I also am not much for Tae kwan do but that might just be because of the schools around here, most seem more interested in giving belts than teaching the art. There might be good TKD schools out there but I have not seen one.

Akido is good but they do not have any schools around here but I have thought of getting some books on it and trying to incorporte some of it into our training

I totally disagree about the high kicks. Those are some of my strongest attacks, and they work if you can pull them off well and quickly. And like anything else, throwing a punch can get you crippled if the other person knows how to strike-block it and you don't know what you're doing after the first strike.

There are many counters to someone catching or blocking a high kick. If you can pull them off, you absloutly should use high kicks. If you're in a tournament, and don't kick above the waist, your opponents who have been watching your style and weaknesses through the tournament will see that. You only have 3 limbs (unless you don't head butt
) to attack them above the waist, and when they see you going for a kick, they know where it's going.

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   

No! You must use as little force to end your opponent, even if they are coming at you with the intention to kill you! If you can't just incapacitate, then mame. If you can't just mame...Well, then you need to kill them. If you're in a fight with some lacky from off the street who puts a gun to your head and says give me all your money, they get their arm broken or twisted, they drop their gun, and they run. If the other person knows what they're doing, then one of you will have to die.

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   

If you're in a tournament, and don't kick above the waist, your opponents who have been watching your style and weaknesses through the tournament will see that. You only have 3 limbs (unless you don't head butt) to attack them above the waist, and when they see you going for a kick, they know where it's going.

I do not totally rule out kicks I just discourge them, hell my son can kick you in the BACK of the head while standing in FRONT of you before you can blink.

But I stand behind my statement that they should be used sparingly. As a survivor of many tournements and many more bar room brawls I have found that high kicks can be useful and suprising if not used too often BUT leave you WIDE open if missed.

In our style of combat you are nose to nose to your opponent there are not a lot of oppertunities to use high kicks anyhow. WE pride ourselves in that most of our moves could be done in a phone booth.

But yes if used correctly it can be a powerful attack

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Nothing like a crescent kick to the head to drop someone. Oh, and that one I could do in a phone booth, too

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Amuk:

Kiaijutsu and Xingyi'Quan

Um... Trying to remember names..

Anyway, you can tell with most arts whether they focus on internal or external combat, not many focus on internal arts any more, but the two I named do..

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join