It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Unveils New Prototypes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The prototypes for the C-X and P-X aircraft were unveiled in Japan. They are getting closer to the first flights for both aircraft.

First flights of Japan’s indigenously-developed C-X transport and P-X maritime patrol aircraft appear to be drawing closer, with images of the first completed prototypes having been released by the defence ministry’s Technical Research and Development Institute.

Led by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, the approximately $2.8 billion C-X/P-X project is intended to deliver replacements for Tokyo’s current air force fleet of Kawasaki C-1 airlifters and initially part of the navy's current inventory of Kawasaki/Lockheed Martin P-3 MPA.

Japan Prototypes

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Hey Zaph, was looking forward to seeing ya link but alas it didnt work for me

I wll go and google and be back later!!

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Kuro, go to www.flightglobal.com/home/default.aspx and it's right under the news headlines, under the F-22 video. It's the "Pictures: Japan unveils new military aircraft pair-" article.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I'm intrigued by the MPA aircraft. That photo is the only image of it I've ever seen so I can har4dly do a proper analysis but from the angle on that photo it looks like a P-3 fuselage mated to a scaled up E-2 Hawkeye nose fitted with swept wings and jet engines, in which respect it also resembles the McDonnell 119 of 1960.

I look forward to seeing more of it.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
So does it transform into a Mecha or something?

I like the look of these planes. They look infinitely practical. There's a sort of a beauty in the simplicity of their design. Wonder if this market will be next to fall to Japanese tenacious ingenuity.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
I'm intrigued by the MPA aircraft. That photo is the only image of it I've ever seen so I can har4dly do a proper analysis but from the angle on that photo it looks like a P-3 fuselage mated to a scaled up E-2 Hawkeye nose fitted with swept wings and jet engines, in which respect it also resembles the McDonnell 119 of 1960.

I look forward to seeing more of it.

I thought it reminded me a lot of an nonstretched DC-8. Although now that you mention it I can see the P-3 and E-2 in it as well.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
propably not though they look practical and stuff they look kind of last generation to me.....not an expert on planes either....but for a patrol plane it seems kind of bulky ya know the transport plane looks like itll be favored among alot of companies though and considering japan will propably after a while start producing variations of these aircraft.....but you know like japans economy needs any help

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Does anyone know how the transport compares with the Embraer C-390? Are they head to head or not?

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Why didn't they wait until the P-8 Poseidon hits production? Does it not meet some sort of requirement that they have?

[edit on 2-6-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Why didn't they wait until the P-8 Poseidon hits production? Does it not meet some sort of requirement that they have?

Maybe because the P-8 only has two engines and Japan has the same sort of 4-engine overwater requirement that the RAF has? This is of course a complete guess.

Hell, why didn't they buy the Nimrod then?

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
No, that can't be it. Japan has the E767 AWACS, and is getting KC-767s. The P-8 probably has some other requirements that they didn't like that this plane does. Maybe loiter time.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   
But does the E767 or KC-767 go as far out to sea as an MPA is required to do or does it more or less patrol up and down the coast? I can think of no reason other than the over-water requirement for it to have four engines, especially since its sister plane, the C-X, manages with two.

One thing I do notice about the Japanese plane, it has the appearance of being less expensive than the P-8, it is definitely much smaller if the cockpit glazing is anything to go by, although this might be counterbalanced by the fact that hey have had to pay for the R&D of it of course. I have read though that the development cost of both these planes is less than the P-8 on its own.

I don't know why Flight is saying they use the same engine type however, the photo makes it patently obvious this is not the case, unless a four engine freighter is planned?

[edit on 3-6-2007 by waynos]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The E767 stays fairly close to the coast, but the KC-767 will be ranging out with fighters. They're going to also be working with the US forces in the area, refueling them as well as JASDF forces.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   

The 5th from left is the jap plane looks simalar in size to a400m
(camo one)

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Waynos only you would have thought of the McDonnell 119
. Good point about the Embraer C-390 although the picture supplied by Jezza shows the max payload as over 37 tonnes which puts it well above the C-130/C-390 bracket. In fact that puts it in A-400/AN-70 territory. Actually Jezza where did you get these images?

Makes you think though, if the Japs can keep a lid on development and production costs they will have a SERIOUS rival to US and European offerings in the transport and MPA market at just the right time.

LEE

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Read this forum with great pictures as well link

Very interesting developments.
The japanese make parts for boeings anyway.
Why not call this plane in the USA as a boeing whatever is next in line.
There could be 2 production lines.
(Baby Globemaster)

[edit on 3-6-2007 by Jezza]

[edit on 3-6-2007 by Jezza]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   

nice pictures of CX and PX
CX great replacement for HERCULES in a lot of roles.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
the difference between the wings of plane #5 and plane #6 may be due to the difference between propulsion sources. jet engines vs. turbo props.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I like the look of the C-X, best looking transport I've seen.(Second of course to the C-17)

Can it slow down to speed with a jet engine? What's the MCA for this aircraft would anyone happen to venture a guess?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
let the Japanese set up shops in America for all of our transportation needs. they are already kicking American auto-makers in the pants, while becoming fairly domestic themselves. Next is pickup trucks.

So, they might as well build all of our planes--commercial and military.

Add to that buses, trains, etc. Defense contractors will get better deals. Defense spending reduction--shouldn't that be trend today?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join