It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Surface - Welcome to the RFID World of Data On-Demand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Be sure to read the related news article for background information:
Microsoft Surface: Behind-the-Scenes First Look (with Video)

So, it would seem that Microsoft™ is pushing for a new world of informatics where everything has some sort of unique identifier (whether it be read via 802.11, BlueTooth™, or RFID). Imagine all products worldwide with an identifier that can be identified simply by placing it on the computer screen. Credit cards are instantly read by waving them in front of the screen. Retail sales is done by placing the object you want on the surface. Food is ordered by using the surface menus.

So what if all people had identifiers? What if you could put your hand on the surface and it knows who you are. Now that is getting into some interesting NWO-style stuff.

The technology sounds super damn cool, but I cant help but be cautious here.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It's a comming!

In order to not post a one liner: It's been here for a while. I have had a national security number, driving licence number, several bank account numbers, NHS identifier and loads more for a long time now (prob since I was born in some cases) - and I dont have a list of most of them, doubt more than 1 in 50,000 do, or can even name all the ways the powers can identify them.

Oh yes, my fingerprints and DNA are also on file.

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Yeah but the thing is, now we have a computing platform that can recognize objects by their shape and RFIDs. I can only imagine how someone would tie this ability to RFIDs in humans. Thats a little different from just having a Driver's License or a bank account number.

Of course, no one has said yet that Microsoft™ intends the platform to be used for personal identification, but it is certainly within its capabilities.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
So you reckon they will find a way to subtly convince us all to have chips implanted? Considering they are already putting RFID in our bins (at least in the UK) that may not be too far fetched.

How about these identiy cards, or new passports? I know my nokia has RFID facility.

On a tangent - you know that bit in Total Recall where Arnie pulls that piece of tech out of his nose? well I've been having dreams about the for years. I have also been picking my nose (in semi private!) so hard I now have a deviated septum - not so any one would notice but I can put a coat hanger though and hang a shirt off it!!

Reckon I've been chipped in my sleep?

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
So you reckon they will find a way to subtly convince us all to have chips implanted? Considering they are already putting RFID in our bins (at least in the UK) that may not be too far fetched.

Bins? What are those?
I'm a dumb American.

How about these identiy cards, or new passports? I know my nokia has RFID facility.

The only way to disarm that thing legally is to lay the passport on a flat, sturdy surface and whack it with a hammer. Great fun!

On a tangent - you know that bit in Total Recall where Arnie pulls that piece of tech out of his nose? well I've been having dreams about the for years. I have also been picking my nose (in semi private!) so hard I now have a deviated septum - not so any one would notice but I can put a coat hanger though and hang a shirt off it!!

Eew, boogies!
lolol I do remember that! I have a buddy that can do the same thing with a coat hangar. Really funny to see!

Reckon I've been chipped in my sleep?

If you've been nose mining so much that you have a deviated septum, I'm pretty sure you've already scraped that chip out!
No worries!

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
If you've been nose mining so much that you have a deviated septum, I'm pretty sure you've already scraped that chip out!
No worries!

Mind now at rest, my index finger will resume business as normal.

Yhea, the bins - what it is, we all have wheele bins. Brown for non recycle, green for recycle. This is a bit of a bowl of contention in this country at the moment. daily mail on bins!

In short, all of the brown bins have a space for a RFID chip (disk apx 15mm dia) not all bins have the actual chip. But the collectors will sneakily install the chips in selected areas WITHOUT CONSULTATION!

The idea of the chips is for the collection truck to be able to weigh the bin as its being emptied and log the info against your address. Supposedly people who throw too much away will be charged more.

Soon as I see a chip on my bin its gonna meet me screwdriver!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Ignore the idiot who double posted

[edit on 1/6/2007 by Now_Then]

top topics

join