It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Seeks Truth On Toxic Katrina Trailers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Congress Seeks Truth On Toxic Katrina Trailers

kdka.com

Children are getting sick after prolonged exposure to fumes from the toxic chemical formaldehyde used in construction of thousands of FEMA travel trailers.

In the wake of that report, there are now calls for a congressional investigation, as well as new information that FEMA may have known about the problem more than a year ago....
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
cbs2chicago.com
www.commercialappeal.com
www.sierraclub.org

[edit on 24-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Fema strikes again. First they let Kartrina victims suffer during the initial rescue, if you want to call it that. They wouldn't allow anyone else to help that offered to help. Then they tore families apart. Those who could not find a suitable place to live, fema relocated them out of state away from any friends and family, and dumped them in tiny trailers practically in the middle of nowhere. Now we find out those trailers are toxic, and they knew well before they put anyone in them.

Is this just another red flag waving high above us telling those of us who care to listen that fema was not really created to be first responders in emergancy situations? That as some therosists believe was actually created to take over when a nationwide national emergancy is declared. That they are actually working for the NWO. This is just another event giving us clues as to what the NWO really wants to do to us? Was this also some sort of experiment?

Personally I'm not entirely sure. I do know from reading Executive Order 11004 at www.presidency.ucsb.edu... that this order does allow for the government to move a population of people to where the government can provide the people shelter.

If the trailers are the type of shelter the government is planning on giving us in future emergancies, they really need to rethink their course of action. Giving the government a little benefit of the doubt, the they need to get rid of fema and all of thier incompentance, and use what actually works. The national gaurd when allowed in actually helped the victims much more so than fema ever did.

Thinking the worst of the government and its' intentions, God help us all if the day ever comes if fema is really needed. Those of you who can, get prepared to learn how to avoid fema and fight and survive on your own. For those of you who still believe the best of our government, pray the day fema is actually needed never comes.

Even without all the theories about the government and fema, so far what I can tell from fema's actions is that they do not have our best interests in mind. By leaving those people in those trailers that long knowing they are toxic, I don't think fema even has a heart. They don't care. They don't care about us individually or as families. They don't really care what happens to us as long as they have a place to dump us and we do as we are told and obey all of their authority without question as good little "sheeple". I would hate to see what is done to anyone who questions their authority, or decides not to do what they are told.

Another black day for humanity and human rights.

kdka.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Tell me Mystery Lady,

If it weren’t for fema and the trailers, where would these people be? I tell you years ago before trailers it was tent cities. Everyone crowded in tents, Several families as well. It irks me to no end when people constantly puts down fema.

IMO fema does not have to give these trailers nor does our government have to help out folks. Our government just does it. Then we have people who sit back and complain.

They complain that fema is to slow. They complain that fema doesn’t give trailers. Then they complain that the trailers isn’t good enough.

When is anything ever good enough?

On top of it all the trailers was meant to be temporary as in 6 months to a year. Most of these folks are still in the trailers. Most of these folks are still living off of fema instead of going out and getting jobs. Don’t tell me there’s no jobs. Cause there is.

Currently Wal-mart closes at 10 pm. Instead of being 24 hours like most Wal-marts. Why? Cause no-one will come out and work. Just about every store here has help wanted signs out. No-one is filling these positions. They would rather live in their fema trailers, and complain then get their butts out and start living again.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   

In homes, the most significant sources of formaldehyde are likely to be pressed wood products made using adhesives that contain urea-formaldehyde (UF) resins. Pressed wood products made for indoor use include: particleboard (used as sub-flooring and shelving and in cabinetry and furniture); hardwood plywood paneling (used for decorative wall covering and used in cabinets and furniture); and medium density fiberboard (used for drawer fronts, cabinets, and furniture tops). Medium density fiberboard contains a higher resin-to-wood ratio than any other UF pressed wood product and is generally recognized as being the highest formaldehyde-emitting pressed wood product.

Other pressed wood products, such as softwood plywood and flake or oriented strandboard, are produced for exterior construction use and contain the dark, or red/black-colored phenol-formaldehyde (PF) resin. Although formaldehyde is present in both types of resins, pressed woods that contain PF resin generally emit formaldehyde at considerably lower rates than those containing UF resin.

www.epa.gov...

These trailers are allowed to be sold to consumers. You can buy pressed boards and panel at the home depot for your home remodeling. it's just another example where we allow ourselves to be bombarded on a daily basis by toxic substances. these people aren't being being exposed to more formaldehyde than anyone else who buys a new trailer or a new home. and yes, it will make you sick.

[edit on 19-5-2007 by dawnstar]

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Shar, fema has actually tried to help people? How? By denying aid and help to those who offered to give them use more transportation and and supplies when it was critically needed? By splitting up families without a decent system in place to be able to find them again? By taking the victims to different states, and in some cases across country to trailer camps and other shleters away from civilization with little hope of returning home?

One of the news articles I read last year that really got me steamed was when, I believe it was, Ophera was donating large trailers to different trailer camps so the people could start teaching the children again, since they were having a hard time getting their children in the school systems. Fema refused to allow those trailers to enter any of thier trailer camps siting liability issues. Which was a lame excuse at that time. It becomes even more lame after the news breaks out about the formaldehyde issues.

A brilliant relocation program, right? Take people to somewhere totally foregin. Put them in places that it is far enough from shopping centers that they have to have transportation to even be able to get there. Then provide that transportation maybe once a day. Then expect them to get jobs, and travel to work, how? Transportation fema gives really doesn't allow one to get a job, work the odd hours most places demand, and get enough saved up to be able to move out of the trailers. Now they don't need to return to their previous home, since they now have a new home and job in a place they may or may not hate. It really doesn't matter if they choose to actually move there or not, right?

So what if your area needs more workers at your walmart so walmart can stay open 24/7? Those workers should be coming from the sourrending neighberhoods and cities, and not from Katrina refugees. If your walmart isn't open 24/7, that just means there is not enough people in your local area that would visit walmart late at night regularly to make it worthwile for walmart to stay open that long. Just because your area has businesses that needs employees, doesn't mean all areas that have fema camps have places that need employees.

Have you thought that some of these people in the trailers have had to leave jobs that were better than a part time minimum wage job? You expect them to be happy to go to a measly part time minimum wage job that really can't support a family in the first place? Yet they really have no means or way to find comperable jobs while living in the trailers.

What if they don't want to relocate? If they move out of the trailers, then fema will not move them back to their home. They may not be moving back to the exact place where they use to live, but they can at least move back to their roots in New Orleans where they grew up in and lived most of their lives. I have a feeling fema wouldn't move them back to New Orleans if they move out of those trailers.

Dawnstar, would you buy or live in a new home or trailer that had levels of formaldehyde above the EPA levels? If you did and were getting seriously sick, wouldn't you be sueing someone?

"Many people report not being able to stay in their trailers for more than five minutes without experiencing irritated eyes, breathing problems, headaches, nausea or skin rashes.

We know one family that moved into a storage shed because their daughter threw up every time she spent time in the FEMA trailer, .... "Another man sleeping in his driveway told me, 'My FEMA trailer is killing me,'" she added.

FEMA continues to deny the problem that has placed tens of thousands of people at risk for increased respiratory infections, irritated eyes and mucus membranes, as well as an increased risk for cancer. FEMA claims that only a few people have complained about the formaldehyde problem. No steps have been taken to protect people's health by providing air purifiers or other remedies."

www.sierraclub.org...

These people really chose to live in these trailers that are making them that sick.

[edit on 19-5-2007 by Mystery_Lady]

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
when I was in the 4th grade, yes my mom bought a brand spanking new trailer.....and yes I got sick living in it...

I've got a feeling that it is still a problem, and that fema provided the people with new trailers, it takes awhile for them to be less irratating to the body, but eventually, yes they do get more livable.

maybe I am wrong and they have change the rules regarding this. want to find out, go trailer shopping and take a tour of some trailers....it won't take long to find out if there is a formaldehyde problem, your eyes will start burning, and you'll feel crappy.

[edit on 19-5-2007 by dawnstar]

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
What is considered high levels of formaldehyde in new mobile homes has been a fact for decades and the levels do decrease overtime.

Typically, peak formaldehyde levels in mobile homes have been in the range of 0.20 - 0.50 ppm with values as high as 1-2 ppm reported for mobile homes manufactured before 1980. In most new mobile homes formaldehyde levels are usually less than 0.40 ppm and are typically in the range of 0.10 to 0.30 ppm.
---[snip]—
Formaldehyde concentrations decrease rapidly with time. Significant decreases can be expected. The decrease time or decay rate will depend on the potency of source materials, their quantity relative to the air volume in the building, and environmental factors such as ventilation, temperature, and relative humidity.
Source

The ranges as presented in the article appear to be very close to within known ranges (albeit considered elevated).

Also, a very limited sample involved in the testing.

To put it in perspective, we have almost 115,000 trailers out right now, and FEMA has received just over 20 complaints total.”
2006 Article

The testing on these trailers were done in April 2006, with small samples and the conditions are not clear. These levels could easily be attributed to ‘newness’ and by now probably dissapated. I would be very curious about current tests.

Once the original 2006 report was made…the number of complaints apparently rose…go figure.

Not to mention, the levels seem to be close to in-line with a known history. Surely these types of illnesses/complaints would already be rampant prior to Katrina (especially in the older generations) from those millions purchasing trailers, mobile homes, campers, motor homes etc…I doubt little will come of the congressional investigations.

mg

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Mystery Lady,

Well it’s not exactly my area. Were down here working on these hurricanes. However, I’m telling you these people in these trailers are down right lazy. Fema, has had to expand their stay in these fema trailers 3 times already. Going on the 4 now, all the way up to 2009. Why? It is not meant to be permanent housing. It was temporary.

Like I said EVERY BUSINESS here is screaming for help. They have had help wanted signs out for well over a year. These people are not wanting to work. It’s been 20 months since the hurricane these victims are still living in the trailers refusing to find work. Or to help themselves in any way.

However, Mystery Lady, when something goes bad in your area tell Fema you don’t want their trailers. Tell Fema you don’t want their help. Tell Fema you don’t like them.

For me, I would be 100% grateful that someone came in and gave me a roof over my head. A place to take a shower privately, a place to lay my head down and sleep with a door I can lock. A place to wash my clothes, a place to eat in private. A place for just me and my family. Not a tent. Not nothing at all.

People dogs Fema so much. Without knowing all the facts. Department of Homeland Security took Fema over. Now Fema is under the control of the Department of Homeland Security. They do what Chertov(sp) tells them. Fema, use to be a lot different. You want to blame someone, blame the Department of Homeland Security. Now there is where the fear should lie.

OH FYI it wasn’t Fema that separated the families the way popular belief is. It was the Department of Homeland Security and yes they operate fema but, The national Guard moved in under The Department of Homeland Security and they are the ones who separated the families.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I don't buy that they are all just too lazy to get out and work. But I'm willing to bet that the trailers aren't the problem. it's been over a year, hasn't it? if they don't like the trailers, why don't they find some other housing arrangment? I drive through my city and it seems that there are thousands of empty houses, apartments, for rent signs, ect....I imagine it's like that in many other areas as well. and there are many help want ads, also.
are they stuck in the trailers because they don't have jobs? why is that.

I honestly don't see why we have this problem. we have a massive list of owners of rental properties, massive listings of jobs available for any area of the country. why can't fema get connected with the landlords, make arrangements to house the people...if needed...and well, also get connected with the employers across the country, help link these people up with jobs that might interest them, have interviews of these people being asked the typical questions one might be asked at interviews videotaped then sent to perspective employers. who just might decide to offer the people a job available at their company, and then connect them with the landlords and pay them six months rent.....the people now have a job, and an apartment, they might end up not liking either, but hey, they have six months rent free, a paycheck coming in and a bus ticket for them and their families to get to them ....if they find they don't like it, they can hunt for a better job, save up the money they would be spending in rent to find another place.
Fema shouldn't be still helping these people a year later. they should be established somewhere holding a job, paying for their own home, or hey, living on the welfare systems.. the emergency is over, fema should be freed to handle the next one. I just don't understand why it hasn't.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
What does new construction look like where you live?

Where I live there is toxic paint on the industrially manufactured fire retardant gypsum. Beneath the Gypsum lies pressure treated framing. The pressure treated frame is encapsulated in formaldehyde ridden OSB. Which is then wrapped in styrofoam sheeting before being covered in plastic siding. Most of the remaining lot that the home is on is then covered in asphalt driveway. Did I mention the (now non-asbestos) butimin asphalt roof?

As I plant zennias in the garden I mix organic matter with paint chips.

What is the difference? Welcome to Babylon. Enjoy your sick, weak stay... the wonder bread and circuses are on us!

Time to wander the desert...

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Mystery_Lady,

FEMA, like any other federal agency, takes proposals for contracts to purchase goods and services to perform their given tasks. These trailers come from a regular manufacturer who provides these same trailers to the mobile home lot down your street. Whoever the low bidder(s) was at the time supplied these trailers to the government. FEMA does not have a trailer manufacturing plant! Therefore, the toxic levels in the FEMA trailer will be the same as the ones in any trailer you would buy anywhere else. Also, not all of the refugees were in trailers. Many stayed for over a year in very nice hotels (and typically left them in such bad shape that they had to remodel entire floors of the hotels).

If it were not for FEMA, the refugees from Katrina and Rita would have been living in very large army tents until they could find housing of their own. This is the way disasters were handled in years past when there was no FMEA and the DOD typically handled disaster situations. These storms were the worst disaster our country has seen in a century, maybe ever and I think everyone involved did the best they could under the circumstances.

dawnstar,

As long as these people have free housing and can get welfare, they will not go back to work. I see it everyday. The stores all have help wanted signs up and can't find enough people to stay open their usual hours. But the FEMA trailer parks are full of people who are home all day long. You may not call it lazy, but I can't think of a better word for it. Most of the people that had FEMA trailers at their homes while performing repairs have already returned the trailers and moved back into their homes. The only ones left are the ones who would have to go out and get a job and rent their own apartments or houses. So as long as they can get free housing they are not going back to work.

[edit on 19-5-2007 by lonewolf37]

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
"The only ones left are the ones who would have to go out and get a job and rent their own apartments or houses. So as long as they can get free housing they are not going back to work."

------------------------------------------

we have other government programs for that...welfare, hud food stamps, ect. ect...

this is not the job of fema. relocate them to areas with alot of jobs, give them acceptable housing for a time, and then hey, they're on the own. if they can't make ends meet, there's always the social programs they can fall back on.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
maybe the reason that walmart closes at 10 isn't for lack of workers but perhaps it because they don't take in enough revenue during those hours to warrant remaining 24 hours a day.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
Well it’s not exactly my area. Were down here working on these hurricanes. However, I’m telling you these people in these trailers are down right lazy.
Yes some of the are quite the lazy type, but so were they before the storm, and so are many others. Yet, here we are existing in a manner that was not the same as prior to Katrina. Something is wrong with this equation.

Fema, has had to expand their stay in these fema trailers 3 times already. Going on the 4 now, all the way up to 2009. Why? It is not meant to be permanent housing. It was temporary.

I don't know, ask the government agencies that oversee utilities, home insurance, flood insurance, and the like. Because they put my business out of business, and we were doing quite well. I have spoke to quite a few local "celebrities" that are known world-wide for their talents in the food service industry, and I promise you, it is not the fault of consumers that they are suffering.

Like I said EVERY BUSINESS here is screaming for help. They have had help wanted signs out for well over a year. These people are not wanting to work. It’s been 20 months since the hurricane these victims are still living in the trailers refusing to find work. Or to help themselves in any way.

I'm happy and sorry. Wherever you are Shar, there is obviously an open-minded attitude that they will hire anyone they can find. However here, in the world where the greatest disaster is still showing almost as heavily as it did after the storm itself, many employers are still worried about the color of the skin for a certain job, or the social status.

However, Mystery Lady, when something goes bad in your area tell Fema you don’t want their trailers. Tell Fema you don’t want their help. Tell Fema you don’t like them.

This attitude is just downright insulting. Totally. I remember (and this is a first hand account) that I was sitting at my computer, and I was on gay.com in the New Orleans chat room, and someone told me that I should respect FEMA because of the fact that they would be here immediately to help. I was like "oh no, you have no idea what the true purpose of these folks are." I was then knocked by this person. Guess what? FEMA was as adequate as I expected; not so adequate.

For me, I would be 100% grateful that someone came in and gave me a roof over my head. A place to take a shower privately, a place to lay my head down and sleep with a door I can lock. A place to wash my clothes, a place to eat in private. A place for just me and my family. Not a tent. Not nothing at all.

Came in and gave a roof over exactly who's head? Where are you? Are you here? Because I promise you, by my experience this is not how it worked. In fact the people that were placing a shower over anyone's head after Katrina were kicked out of the place they were at because they were competition for big daddy giant Red Cross. Lock the door of a FEMA trailer?
I could break through a screen door with more of a challenge.

People dogs Fema so much. Without knowing all the facts. Department of Homeland Security took Fema over. Now Fema is under the control of the Department of Homeland Security. They do what Chertov(sp) tells them. Fema, use to be a lot different. You want to blame someone, blame the Department of Homeland Security. Now there is where the fear should lie.

See there we go, regardless of what FEMA should have/should not have done, why is it that my tax money is going towards a fund to drive these people to have a job? I pay my taxes because whether it is wrong or right, I pay money to the federal government for the rights and conveniences allowed to me. Also you need to understand that it is not anyone in Louisiana/Mississippi's fault that FEMA was put under the control of Homeland Security. We know quite well how we are "handled" if we rebel against any law whatsoever. We lose our gun rights to defend ourselves, our right to walk anywhere we want at any time, and we get harrassed by National Guard members who choose to bribe us for entrance into our neighborhoods. The blame lies partly in the federal government, regardless of what part you wish to be immune. Just as much as the local, state gov't should be held accountable, so should the federal level for their part.

OH FYI it wasn’t Fema that separated the families the way popular belief is. It was the Department of Homeland Security and yes they operate fema but, The national Guard moved in under The Department of Homeland Security and they are the ones who separated the families.

*beep* Wrong. FYI. FEMA is under the authority of the Department of Homeland Security, yet they are the one's responsible for for the problems they have incurred. The National Guard of Louisiana moved in under the authority of our governor, as much of a whacko as she may be.

Now onto the subject of this discussion thread, this has been going on for months. Many people have already been sick from the FEMA trailers that they were living in. This is not the fault of the people living in the trailers, as the trailers in my opinion should have been capable of holding multiple families over multiple disasters without the worry of 18-month deterioration.

Of course there are some people that will screw the system, that will always be there. But to hold the group that gave oversight of this very system unaccountable based on facts that hold nothing to the true case is worthless and a waste of time.

*edit - grammar*

[edit on 5/19/07 by niteboy82]

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Niteboy82,

Hello,

Yes, I know they are lazy. LOL. I’m from WV. Were not lazy there. I’m shocked at how the people are here.

shar
quote: Fema, has had to expand their stay in these fema trailers 3 times already. Going on the 4 now, all the way up to 2009. Why? It is not meant to be permanent housing. It was temporary.

niteboy
I don't know, ask the government agencies that oversee utilities, home insurance, flood insurance, and the like. Because they put my business out of business, and we were doing quite well. I have spoke to quite a few local "celebrities" that are known world-wide for their talents in the food service industry, and I promise you, it is not the fault of consumers that they are suffering.

This is not really an answer to the question. As to why Fema keeps extending their stay.

niteboy
I'm happy and sorry. Wherever you are Shar, there is obviously an open-minded attitude that they will hire anyone they can find. However here, in the world where the greatest disaster is still showing almost as heavily as it did after the storm itself, many employers are still worried about the color of the skin for a certain job, or the social status.

OK, I'm in Southwest Louisiana with my hubby whose working for well over a year now on these hurricanes. Like I said the businesses here are begging for help. It's not that people don't go in these business it's that they can't get anyone to work.

This attitude is just downright insulting.

It might be insulting, but truthful. If you don't like fema don't get their help when you need it, Period! Like I said fema is here to help people.

Came in and gave a roof over exactly who's head? Where are you?

Yes, I'm here. Yes there are 100's of fema trailers with people in them. So yes it gives them a place to sleep and a place to eat and a place to shower. Like I said I would rather be in a fema trailer than in a ARMY TENT. Which is what they did years ago. Surely you know this.

*beep* Wrong. FYI. FEMA is under the authority of the Department of Homeland Security, yet they are the one's responsible for for the problems they have incurred. The National Guard of Louisiana moved in under the authority of our governor, as much of a whacko as she may be.

So How am I wrong here. You just said what I said. Fema is under the department of homeland security. So I am not wrong. The federal Government brought in more national guard from other areas to assist because it was beyond Louisiana guards abilities.

I personally believe that the individuals are taking advantage of fema. Fema is letting them because they constantly get ratted on by media, and everyone else. Fema is babying them for so long and is continuing to do so. I mean why are they still in trailers after 20 some months, which is now been extended to 2009. This is totally uncalled for. IMO it's time for fema to kick them out!

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
shar

You talk so negatively about the people whose lives were up ended by Katrina. At the same time you are making a living from the situation. Their misfortune has become your windfall. Count your blsssings.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
This is not really an answer to the question. As to why Fema keeps extending their stay.

Then why are you answering the question?
I am appalled by FEMA too, but for different reasons, obviously.

OK, I'm in Southwest Louisiana with my hubby whose working for well over a year now on these hurricanes. Like I said the businesses here are begging for help. It's not that people don't go in these business it's that they can't get anyone to work.

Do you need referrals? I am more that willing to give you more than enough names of people that have been left homeless by the storm that are looking for work.

It might be insulting, but truthful. If you don't like fema don't get their help when you need it, Period! Like I said fema is here to help people.

I didn't ever even once ask for their help. FEMA is there to provide what the tax dollars put into their organization provide. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, I'm here. Yes there are 100's of fema trailers with people in them. So yes it gives them a place to sleep and a place to eat and a place to shower. Like I said I would rather be in a fema trailer than in a ARMY TENT. Which is what they did years ago. Surely you know this.

m
You're not here. Sorry, but you aren't. You're in a different part of Louisana, that as far as most of us are concerned, you're a foreign country. A place to sleep is something, but it is not everything. I can lay my head down on a brick if I really want to sleep. Comparing what "could be" to what "is" is irrelevant, in my opinion. Your "what if's" in this matter seem quite irrelevant, except for your discussion in the matter. I wouldn't put anyone on this forum that lives in Louisiana in a tent, and I would fight for their rights to live in something better. (You all know who you are).

So How am I wrong here. You just said what I said. Fema is under the department of homeland security. So I am not wrong. The federal Government brought in more national guard from other areas to assist because it was beyond Louisiana guards abilities.

No, you made it the DOH's problem, without leaving FEMA accountable. I'm sorry, but I don't play departments. When one department is responsible, I call them at it.

I personally believe that the individuals are taking advantage of fema. Fema is letting them because they constantly get ratted on by media, and everyone else. Fema is babying them for so long and is continuing to do so. I mean why are they still in trailers after 20 some months, which is now been extended to 2009. This is totally uncalled for. IMO it's time for fema to kick them out!

This has nothing to do with anyone taking advantage of anyone. That's where I don't understand your tangents. I don't care if they are here for a month or a millenium. Why is it that they are being exposed to these chemicicals in the first place? Come now, lets address the issue and not these sideways subjects that we can argue forever?

[edit on 5/19/07 by niteboy82]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Niteboy,

Hello,

niteboy,
Do you need referrals?

Referrals. I’m sure the businesses here will take them. Go ahead put a sign up and tell them theres work here. Look I’m not dogging you. I would not do that. I’m just saying there’s work here because there is. The people living here knows this too. They just don't seem to care.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I think they are providing more. It was not suppose to go past 6 months. It’s been extended so many times. Cause Fema cares about these people. If fema didn’t care they wouldn’t be extended them so many times.

You're not here. Sorry, but you aren't

Could have been. Choose this end instead. Honestly, Not trying to be rude but I begged my husband not to go down to New Orleans. I just didn’t want too. Again, though hun, I’m not being rude to you. I just didn’t want to go down there. Nothing against you folks so please don’t take it the wrong way.

No, you made it the DOH's problem, without leaving FEMA accountable. I'm sorry, but I don't play departments. When one department is responsible, I call them at it.

Well You have to play departments. Cause Fema has to do what DHS says. They’re their boss.

Why is it that they are being exposed to these chemicicals in the first place?

As Lonewolf already stated above. These chemicals are in all trailers that you and I go to any trailer lot and purchase. It’s the way the company makes them. It’s well known. Usually if you open the windows and doors for a while these chemicals are suppose to go away. So they say anyways. However, Fema did not build these trailers or put these chemicals in them. It was the regular manufactures that build these trailers for you and I. Fema just order them from the company. Their the same kind of trailer you or I would purchase, if we were to purchase a trailer. Same chemicals etc..

Again Niteboy, I'm not being mean to you guys and I know You guys have it worse.

I drove down to Holly Beach a year ago and man there was nothing left. I mean nothing. I know Holly Beach isn’t you guys but It was very, very sad. I cried for those people. I know you guys got it worse. I understand this.

I just drove down to holly beach again yesterday to see the progress and they have came a long ways. There is electric now and one general store. They have a few homes built back not many a few though. A lot of land for sale. The clean up is been great. It looks 90% better than it did a year ago. The alligators are even coming back.

The Gulf came in 20 miles here. People were under water 20 miles inland. It is sad.

May I ask if you don't care, how bad were you affected? Are you doing ok? Was your home damaged? How's it looking where you are at?

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
shar

You talk so negatively about the people whose lives were up ended by Katrina. At the same time you are making a living from the situation. Their misfortune has become your windfall. Count your blsssings.

Nope, I haven't I'm talking negative against Mystery Lady for dogging Fema.

When all Fema is trying to do is help these folks. I’m trying to tell her it’s better for these people that their in these trailers than in Army Tents.

Think about it, which would you rather fema give you, A trailer or an Army Tent with several, several other families in there with you.

Again, I would prefer the trailer.

However, some of these people are taking advantage of fema their not working or rebuilding. Their living off our taxes. Their not trying to help themselves. That’s only some. Theirs a lot of good folks who are trying and has the trailer beside their home because they are working on their home and going to work both.

Now these are the people who deserve the trailer, they are trying and working hard. I say leave them alone. But, the freeloaders the ones who is not working a job or rebuilding then it’s time Fema says can’t help you no more unless your willing to help yourself.

[edit on 20-5-2007 by Shar]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Thank you niteboy82. It is always good to hear how things are going from a first hand account. I hope you and the others that got caught by all of this are doing ok.

Shar, as for "dogging" Fema, they deserve it. They were way underperpared for they were set up to do. Fema really doesn't care about the people. Some of the people working for Fema may care. Fema is a governmental organization that was supposedly set up to help in the time of national crisis. All that means is they just have to do their job. That doesn't mean they actually care.

Fema has been doing an extremely poor job from the start. Any other company doing such a poor job would be put out of business a long time ago. As for trailers, I don't have a problem with them, heck I live in one with three kids. I would have a major problem if the trailer was making me or my kids sick. I have a problem that Fema knew that there was a problem, and didn't take another route to secure a different type of housing or at least made sure any chemicals used to treat any of the materials would not make the people sick.

As far as calling people lazy for not working, I have several questions. How many of those people have disabling depression. I know how disabling depression can affect a person.

Do these trailers actually have valid addresses, or do the people have to resort to some type of PO box? Most businesses, at least in my area, you have to have an actual valid postal address to even be considered for a job.

Do all of them have a phone? Do they have reliable transportation to be able to get to a job even at odd hours? Do these people have approate work clothes and interview clothes, if not are they able to obtain them? Single moms with kids, are they able to obtain and pay a babysitter while they go look for work, and then later on pay the babysitter while they work if the kids are not in school?

Are the employers in your area even willing to hire the people still living in the trailers? I'm sure some of them still haven't been able to obtain their work history, recomendations, and locate past friends to use as references. Even if they remembered their work history, many of the small businesses got destoryed and records would have been lost. Even if they worked for a larger business or franchise, their records still could have been lost depending where the business kept their employment records.

Some just may want to stay on welfare, but you really have to look at the entire circumstance before you say they are just out right lazy. Also, the trailers that you see with people living in them, are you able to walk up to them and talk with some of them and found out exactly how they are doing, why they don't have jobs, and possibly how you can help them obtain a job if you are able to do so? If so, that means that they are basically free to do as they please and obtain a nearby job. I haven't, since there are no refugees in or near my area.

Or is there some type of barrier or fence around the park with security? If there is security, exactly how tight is that security? If so, I wonder if part of the problem would stem from the rules that fema placed on everyone living in the park. No matter how you look at it, fema is a government entity and run by the government. The government would have no problem imposting a militant lifestyle that greatly reduces the freedoms on people it is supposedly caring for. They may not be really free to go out and find a job due to the restrictions placed on them while living there.

I don't know about now, but I do know when these trailer parks were starting, it was extremely hard for anyone to talk to those inside let alone be able to interview the people.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join