It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University Apologizes For Using Slave Labor

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
"Yes we have in a sense our own "social caste sytem among our own kind" But guess where we got that from. SLAVERY. When we were seperated based on color that effected our people and sadly it has caused us to discriminate within our selves"

Have you ever been to East Africa??... I assume you have seen the warlords, serfs, destitute and WELL FED, WELL PAID BLACK dictators who control that black owned and operated part of the world..... That folks has been going on long before the white man even discovered it.

Not my Great Grandfather.... But your OWN PEOPLE...

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
American slavery is diff. than whats going on in africa. The point was AFRICAN-AMERICANS got it from WHITE SLAVE OWNERS.. Lighter ones were in the house, darker one worked in the feild

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
"It is not just about characters not everyody can succeed You admit that we have to work 10 times as hard and yet you say it like 'well that person can do it we all can'? It is not that easy. Why should we HAVE to work 10x as hard and still be behind"

And the Asians, Irish as second or third class citizens... At the same time, Blacks had a monetary value ( YES, WRONG, but historically accurate)... Those folks ..worth ZERO... NOTHING, less then blacks. They progressed... Blacks among your ranks ARE coming up.. why??

Simple....

You can study Malcolm x, Louis farrakhan ect...

or

You can study, Mathematics, Music, Acting, Law, Medicine, Language, Physics, Economics, Warfare, Arts, Computer Science, and separate YOURSELF from the underprivileged masses long enough to give something positive back to your community, a tide that raises all boats. In a few generations... it will be just a historical footnote.

If you think everything comes easy to whites, try (as a white) to get grants for your education, grants for your business, healthcare, food assistance, do business with the government, enter this country legally for citizenship... you will find a stacked deck there too... but not in whites favor... so round and round we go...

Again, in the interest of time, my point is not to place blame... but to IMPROVISE, OVERCOME, ADAPT.. show raciest mother f***ers that you WILL NOT be held down, and will not only improve your own, but humanity at large.. not through militarism and separatism but with SUCCESS, ULTIMATE FORM OF REVENGE..

Your people oppressed.. yes, powerless to change it NO!

[edit on 26-4-2007 by ivymike]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ivymike

...After he retired, a entirely new management came in, new fresh, young black affluent professionals. I am here to tell you that EVERY DAY we where reminded just how guilty and low on the totem pole we (the IT Dept) where to them, and where reminded (informally) of every crime of our ancestors had committed.

I would have made a complaint tbh, they were being racist towards you. It's not just white people that can be racist you know, them treating you badly just because of your colour is wrong.

Anyway I think that it's a bit stupid that people and institutions keep apologising like this. The way people keep bringing slavery up, it's like they don't want to forget about it. It was like 200 years ago, get over it so that we can proceed with racial equality rather than reviving and milking past segregation for some stupid reason.

If all races are to be treated equal then why don't these morons act like they are equal and stop patronising black people. Because bringing up these BS apologies over and over doesn't help de-segregation at all.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
"I would have made a complaint tbh, they were being racist towards you. It's not just white people that can be racist you know, them treating you badly just because of your colour is wrong. "

I thought of that... but I saved my money, cashed out my pension account and started and video production company instead..

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
malganis - I think to say it's "STUPID" to apologize might be a little too strong. I can tell you that I don't understand it, but I don't think it's stupid.
Truthseeka said in an earlier post that an apology does make a diiference to her/him. I can't put myself in the black mans shoes. I'm a white male. I grew up on Army bases, so my friends, neighbors, classmates etc.... were made up of every ethnicity, and religion there is. I was blessed to have parents that were color blind, and they brought me up to be color blind as well. Look I hate when people say "I don't see someones color". Of course you do - it's the first thing you see. Just like if someone has red hair, or a big nose, or is fat. You see it. I just don't judge you by it. In my book, you're either cool or you're not. Period. That being said, I just can't feel the actual feelings that a descendant of a slave feels. I can understand their pain, but I can't feel it.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
OMG...

"I'm a white male. I grew up on Army bases, so my friends, neighbors, classmates etc.... were made up of every ethnicity, and religion there is. I was blessed to have parents that were color blind, and they brought me up to be color blind as well. Look I hate when people say "I don't see someones color". Of course you do - it's the first thing you see. Just like if someone has red hair, or a big nose, or is fat. You see it. I just don't judge you by it. In my book, you're either cool or you're not."

How many white here feel the EXACT SAME WAY?? < 99%???

WE ARE NOT SLAVE OWNERS ANYMORE.....

GEN X 'ers grew up with Dre, Easy, Biggie and Snoop too : )

And I Quote.... one on my iPod no doubt...

"All you Africans, stop payin mofo's for jerry curls, stop mofo's for perms, SAVE YOUR MONEY, START YOUR OWN BUSINESSES...." -Lil Ghetto Boy, Dr. Dre

Good advise, they did and got PAID!....MOVE ON...GET PAID TOO.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
Look I hate when people say "I don't see someones color". Of course you do - it's the first thing you see. Just like if someone has red hair, or a big nose, or is fat. You see it. I just don't judge you by it.

Ok maybe it's not stupid but it just seems like it isn't going to help racial equality. If all races are equal then as you say, people of today shouldn't be judged or treated differently because of their skin colour. But repeatedly bringing up this history which we should have gotten over by now isn't really treating everyone as equals. It's giving the image that white people are bad and black people are oppressed, which isn't the sort of image that we should be seeing today. The only way to achieve equality is to put racial differences aside, not keep milking them for all their worth.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I wouldn't ask a random white dude to apologize for slavery. I know nothing of his past, or what he's doing now. I would expect someone who is running a business founded, and made successful from slavery. Or an educational institute that used slavery to build a location never meant to educate the slaves.

Sure they should apologize. I don't expect you guys to though.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Here is my ultimate position, I have seen so many interesting viewpoints today, and we have covered a lot of ground..

1) It's a GLOBAL PLANTATION, no room anymore for White vs.. Black vs. Mexican vs. Chinese... It's SIMPLE : RICH VS POOR, you will NEVER survive alone, and you will ONLY push away your potential allies by pulling our the race card every time things get hard. Instead, pool your resources, make a plan.... GET PAID, be a VICTOR not a VICTIM.

2) Support can come from the most unlikely of places.. just ask the Americans during WWII... RUSSIANS???? WTF.. NO WAY Commie bastards!! ...No, we worked together, we fought a common enemy, and won. And did not even like each other...

3) Don't think GLOBAL for change, change yourself, then your family, then your community...then you world.

I am sorry lombozo, but I have to segway your signatures into my post because it speaks volumes about what I am trying to say....

"I'll never be a rich man, I'll never be a great man. However if I can touch a life, and make a positive difference, then I am a contented man. - Me

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, only then will there be peace - Jimi Hendrix""

4) Put down the pain and PROGRESS... Israel did even better, CASH, RESPECT and retain the GUILT, My hats off to them, if I ever should be that smart..

OR

5) Accept your fate and position in society... (NOT AN OPTION)

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
That was rude. I retract my statement.

[edit on 26-4-2007 by Dissension]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
How many apologies do black people need? lol

I swear, it is almost as ridiculous as China wanting Japan to apologize for WW2 millions of times over.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dissension

Then enjoy Black History Month and take your American Negro College fund and educate yourself. Your black sub-culture is just appaling and you should be ashamed. Look at New Orleans. What a pathetic excuse of humanity. How many shots were taken at helocoptors and rescue boats? Lemme guess. All the rape and murders were George W Bushs fault.

You've got to be joking right. What about the babies stuck on bridge who couldnt go anywhere b/c the govt ordered the national guard to gaurd the bridge. What about the fact that those victims supject to shot to kill orders even though they were had just survuved one of the worst natural catastrphies in us histories. Whats a pathetic excuse for humanity is the fact that it took so long for those people to get help.Our black subculture is apalling. you what its one thing to say well gangster rap is appalling or thugs are appalling by BLACK SUBCULTURE. I take offense to that. But i will not argue with you ..it is obvious that you have issues. What is this 'black subculture that you are referring to?'

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The only consequences of slavery I keep seen in this country is the one that has been perpetuated by the so call "champions of civil rights movement", because if they do not keep feeding the racism barriers they will go out of business.

So much for the jobs of the Al Charptons and Jessy Jacksons, they make sure that slavery stays alive and racism well fueled.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Woah... MEGA harsh dude...

Killed a lot of peace making that has been going on here..

Please, lets keep it civil

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
My thoughts about Katrina... If the same level of rescue service was seen in Austin or Kennebunkport as was in New Orleans, there would be a revolutionary war!.

So no doubt, inequality DOES EXIST, but the question should be, does an apology really help, or what steps can blacks take themselves to cause a genuine improvement?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
They were ordered to shoot because they were attacked! I agree that it was a tragedy that so many people died; a horrible tragedy, but it didn't give them the right to shoot at their rescuers. Then you have people stealing BEER! I can understand taking food. In fact, I would do the same in their situation, but BEER?

Now, as far as the subculture, you know EXACTLY what I am talking about. It sounds like you are trying to bait me. I see your trolling motor. Ain't going to bite. Especially with that biggot hero of yours in your profile. I'm above that.

We all came from Adam. I wish some people would realize that. Take care dude.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
So much for the jobs of the Al Charptons and Jessy Jacksons, they make sure that slavery stays alive and racism well fueled.

That is exactly how I feel marg. All they do is increase hatred towards black people from ALL races and many black people eat right out of their hands. So the two images of black people are: Rappers and Gangstas or Jesse and Al.

:shrugs:

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
That is exactly how I feel marg.
:shrugs:

I am glad we agree, I grew up in an Island that was one of the first ones to have slaves in the Caribbean, thanks to the first slave traders to the new world, Poltugal.

We know about our roots but we do not spend our time and effort finding some one to blame on that part of our history, acutally without them we will not have history anyway.

Here in the US the issue is made to look like is the only place in the entire world that had slaves in its history.

Get a grip.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Here in the US the issue is made to look like is the only place in the entire world that had slaves in its history.

Get a grip.

Exactly, many regions had slaves and still unfortunately have slaves. Guess who were some of the largest slave holders of blacks? Other black people in Africa! Why not have those African nations and Arabs (whose ancestors sold them to Europeans) apologize including Native Americans as well! I'll tell you why, because they won't. And white people who had nothing to do with slavery shouldn't either.

People need to get a grip like you said as well as educated.

[edit on 26-4-2007 by RetinoidReceptor]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join