It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University Apologizes For Using Slave Labor

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

University Apologizes For Using Slave Labor

www.cnn.com

The University of Virginia's board marked founder Thomas Jefferson's birthday with an apology for the school's use of slave labor between 1819 and 1865.

The board of visitors unanimously passed an apology resolution on April 13, the 264th anniversary of Jefferson's birth, but did not announce the action until Tuesday.

The measure was inspired by the Virginia Legislature, which passed a resolution in February expressing its "profound regret" for the state's role in slavery. Legislatures in Maryland and North Carolina approved similar slavery apologies this year, and another measure is under consideration in Alabama.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The University apologized for using slave labor to build the school. I am absolutely appalled by slavery. It is so wrong that I have trouble putting words to it. Now my question is this. What does apologizing accomplish? Does it heal any wounds?
I would love to hear feedback on this.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
This is just ridiculous. Its the epitome of liberal guilt that a group of people should apologize for something another group of people did long before the current group was even born.

Hell, why not have all of us white folk apologize? Then we can have all of the leaders in Africa who rounded men up to be sold apologize.

Lets not forget the ship builders. Without the ships they couldnt have been transported.

Wheres the apology to the Indians? Whitey wronged them too apparently.
I suppose the women deserve an apology too for the whole second class citizen thing.

i really have to gouge out my eyes and stab my ears to save myself from this idiotic world. Think of the bliss I could have sitting in the corner as a blind deaf mute just rocking back and forth drinking hot chocolate.

I suppose I should then apologize to the indiginous peoples who no doubt were slaughtered to reach the cocoa, sugar and coffee beans.

Why dont I just hang myself right now.

This weekend Ill climb the highest point in the state and proclaim my utter disgust for everyone. Only to hear a voice from behind telling me Im intolerant and demanding an apology.

AAAAAARRRRRGHGHGHGHGHQAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! I just cant take it.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
What does apologizing accomplish? Does it heal any wounds?
I would love to hear feedback on this.

It's a good thing. Better than reparations, IMO. (but I still want that damn mule
)

It's admitting that there is a rusty lining to the self-proclaimed GOAT of countries. It's saying "yeah, this university did some effed up stuff by using slave labor." As influential as universities are, that apology is quite meaningful.

See, most white people think we (black people) are just looking for handouts.
For most of us, that's not the case. All we want is some means to assauge the psychological trauma of being slave descendants and second-class citizens. All we want is a fair shake at the American dream. Ok, that's what I want, but I'm sure most black people would agree with me.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Honestly i could care less if they apologize. I feel like all of these states and university are apologizing but not because they are sorry or feel bad but b/c its the thing to do and it gets them media attention. If they wanna apologize why dont they donate a few mill to the United Negro College Fund or donate money to inner city schools so that our children have textbooks for class. Thats just my 2cents.

------>thisguyrighthere Although i think there apolgizes mean anything..i dont really have a prob with what you said(hey its your opinion)
but you just said it in such an ignorant way i really cant even comment on it

[edit on 4/26/2007 by ImpliedChaos]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos
Honestly i could care less if they apologize. I feel like all of these states and university are apologizing but not because they are sorry or feel bad but b/c its the thing to do and it gets them media attention. If they wanna apologize why dont they donate a few mill to the United Negro College Fund or donate money to inner city schools so that our children have textbooks for class. Thats just my 2cents.

[edit on 4/26/2007 by ImpliedChaos]

I feel pretty much the same way. For media attention more than anything. Man, I couldn't agree more about giving money to schools. We spend billions of dollars in Iraq, but our kids don't have updated textbooks or computers. Don't get me started on that.

Truthseeka - thanx for your perspective. That's cool. I know you still want that mule, but what about the 40 acres?!

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Hell, why not have all of us white folk apologize?

You're funny thiguyrighthere.

Forgot one thing though...

What about the white on white crime of the crusades, civil war, ect...?

Do not we deserve to make a mends with ourselves...?

I hope that one day all history vanishes and men live in peace.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Once in a company I worked for, there was a member of the senior executive staff that I talked to frequently because we both smoked in the same spot, ...and the same brand. He was a older black man who I came to respect because no matter what color you where, if you did what was right, you knew where you stood. He had lived in the south during turbulent times and had seen his own grandfather lynched and hung from a tree. He grew up dirt poor, and entered University, then the Armed Forces, retiring a full bird. Then after that he became a highly ranking member of our local law enforcement. He did NOT need nor want your f**in charity or sympathy, just your respect, and he earned it VERY easily. He set the standard that all others where judged against. After he retired, a entirely new management came in, new fresh, young black affluent professionals. I am here to tell you that EVERY DAY we where reminded just how guilty and low on the totem pole we (the IT Dept) where to them, and where reminded (informally) of every crime of our ancestors had committed. It became just as bad as a bunch of Klansmen, up until that time I never knew just how evil and disgusting BOTH sides could be. They even had a entire social caste system among their own kind, badgering those who they believed where not "Black" enough... I have moved on and feel much better now, however, I can't help but wonder what a world we could have if we had less trash (of all colors) and more TRUE LEADERS that can genuinely inspire confidence instead of fear.

I am not raciest by ANY means, but I am so sick of those who blame others for and seek a free pass out of their OWN shortcomings. I am American, I am Polish, and no one EVER gave me a dammed thing, I had to work hard for it. Others in the minority communities can inspire, not just their own, but all they come into contact with. (Benjamin O Davis Jr., Hector Ruiz, Abdul Salam.. these are just some, heroes and scientists that I personally find inspiring, men I want my children to emulate) If THEY can rise up, not take a free ride and make something of themselves, something MUCH GREATER then their critics could ever become, then in MY personal view. there is no EXCUSE, and I am fed up with all the whining about not enough breaks and wanting a free ride, they did not need it, so it comes down to character not color.

Slavery was and is a crime, but not to the MODERN GENERATION who seem to want to exploit this to the fullest... Crimes have occurred to others in U.S. history and may again unfortunately... But I was not a slave-owner, nor my ancestors, and I for one am looking to those who have what it takes to OVERCOME, they are among us... They should be showcased and given the microphone.. Not the exploiters of history.

Sorry, if I offended anyone, it was NOT my intention... just needed to state my case.

[edit on 26-4-2007 by ivymike]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Since i dont have the time to adequatly respond to your post Li'll just hIit a few points

Slavery STILL effects modern blacks. We are still econically, academically and socially trying to achieve a level playing feild...200 yrs later. Your old boss is an exception and for to say he gained what he got 'very easily' shows that you dont know what this world is about 200 yrs later we still have people trying to desegregate schools. We have people denying the full extent of slavery and what our ancesters had to suffer through. Slavery was not that many generations ago. some of my great grand parents were born slaves
For you to compared the fact that your new management reminding you of what ur ancestors done was like them being a bunch of Klansmen was ignorant. Were you raped,beaten,lynched by these men b/c u r white? Yes we have in a sense our own "social caste sytem among our own kind" But guess where we got that from. SLAVERY. When we were seperated based on color that effected our people and sadly it has caused us to discriminate within our selves
You say you are not racist well i dont know you so i cant say..but you sir are ignorant at best.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
"ignorant at best.. "

Interesting coming from one who takes X as his role model... If you had used your infinite wisdom to ACTUALLY interpret my post, not just scan it for ammunition.. you would have understood that this man INSPIRED MY (WHITE) confidence easily.. but as you avatar suggests... you are only after the conflict that breeds separatism..

My second CFI was a young black man with an advanced degree in aeronautical engineering from Embry Riddle, and his preferred topics of discussion are things like... ground resonance, power settings, e6-b9 proficiency, vortex ring state, emergency procedures, intercept procedures and F.A.R.S...HE HAD NO TIME or NEED to whine about HIS slave traded ancestors... too busy conquering everything they put in front of him.. again inspiring, like Mae Jemison... and you sir are not...

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
First off you do Not know WHY I have Malcolm X as my avatar. If you asked instead of assumed you would know that He started as a seperatist but after giong to Mecca and seeing Muslim in various colors he realized he was wrong and was more accepting of others shortly b4 he was assasinated. I admire that. Even if i had him as my avatar because he was a seperatist there is a reason why he started that way. Watch the movie. read the book. educate yourself Take time to DENY IGNORANCE yourself before you perpetuate it. Thanx

I like how instead of responding to why I say slavery effects us today you have chosen to give my the credentials of this ONE black man who you admire. Okay. I take nothing away from him..but you can not tell me he did not have obstacles just because he refused to focus on it (it could also be a case of he did not wish to talk of such things in mixed company) but whatever the case. He is one man not a representation of the black community.

BTW i am not a sir

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
My Apologies Mam,

My entire point is simply this.. no doubt the figures I mentioned encountered resistance.. that's precisely why I invoked them.. along with other positive black contributors to the human race, not just black or white but large enough to be inspiring to everybody.. They HAD to work 10 times harder then their white counterparts, yet they accomplished what most deemed imposable, and they maintained absolute respectability and professionalism in the process. If they can overcome, why can't others... CHARACTER... simple as that.

When enough minorities overcome, they reach a turning point where the become accepted.. Take Asians for example... for a time in history, they where considered sub-human, good for nothing but hard labor, a dime a dozen, no major effect on humanity.. But THEY turned it around.. just look at the University campuses and hard science / engineering positions today. The rest of the world would be lucky if we can ever catch up...

"Were you raped,beaten,lynched by these men b/c u r white?"

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
People should never feel guilty for their past, no matter how grusome, they are not their fathers.

This is a PR move, nothing more, nothing less. To do it on Jefferson's birthday no less.
Way to honor the man.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Too bad that they are still using slave labor...

This time in the form of sweatshops in foriegn countries producing university merchandise.

hypocrits...

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Lets get the government in on this. Lets get an apology for all the MTBE they forced on us or an apology from the CDC for pushing trans-fats as a healthy alternative to saturated fats.

As long as apologizing is a trendy PR move why would they pass up the chance?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
So, it's permissable to breech the Constitutional Law that abolished slavery as long as they apologize about it?

IMO & by Constitutional writ, they should be indicted & tried under Federal Judiciary for even allowing it to happen in the first place.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Did you actually read ANYTHING besides the title of the article? They're talking about 1819-1865. So you want to charge them NOW for something that happened 200 years ago, BEFORE the constitutional amendment abolishing slavery?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I am sorry, for being the same color as the people that have exterminated a gazillion jews.
If you ask me, this is just plain stupid, like others here have said, and for the same reasons.

Apologizing does not fix anything, except maybe give someone a ''sense of well-being''.

They aren't directly related to anyone involved in the slave labour, so why would they even apologize, because they utilize the building?

That's plain stupid if you ask me, utilizing the building SHOULD be the apology, to show that the pain slaves had to go through to build this is acknowledged by using the building to it's fullest extent.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Did you actually read ANYTHING besides the title of the article? They're talking about 1819-1865.

Ok, you caught me...I humbly tender my "apology" for the misunderstanding.

So, does my apology make it OK?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
ivymike. I am not saying that people should pay for the mistakes of their anscestors. My problem is with people who 1) cant' see that the effects of slavery live on today and refuse to admit that.2)those who refuse that institutional rascism exist . My opinion is not oh you are white=your greatgranddaddy owned slave=i hate you NO. My position is recognized the effects on ourculture that slavery has caused.

"Were you raped,beaten,lynched by these men b/c u r white?"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join