It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pork Soda: Tales From the Cop Bowl

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Many here wonder why people don't trust p...cops.
Responses to Cam'ron's comments about aiding the police have shown me that many people think the police are saints or something. They think cops aren't crooked, as a whole.

But, what some see as saints, others see as renegades; sure, they uphold the law at times, but they aren't above the crooked. For these people, stories and experiences with the police explain these perceptions. Basically, these people encounter more dirty cops than good cops.

But, what is a dirty cop? Instead of just talking about them as bad apples, I want to give a detailed look at what dirty cop means. I'm going to talk about cops from a certain city that are rotten to the core. Most cops on this department are crooked, simple and plain.

Here is a short list of descriptions for a dirty cop that I can think of.

Criminal
Greedy
Has a penchant for violence
Reeks of arrogance
Abusive

The average cop on this force fits one, more, or all of these descriptions. Some dirty cops have other qualities, such as racist, that don't apply to the average cop. I mean, many of them ARE racist, but I don't think you could say the average cop was racist. Maybe the 45th percentile or something...but whatever. Here is evidence for this assertion.

But first, I must say that this town is infested with cops. You literally see them everywhere, even in wealthier neighborhoods. Real talk, you will see a cop in this city from 5-10 times daily, at LEAST. You CANNOT drive across town without seeing at least 3 cops. And that's just city cops; you'll see county cops every DAY. Cops from other cities and even state troopers are a common sight.

This place is going NWO quick. But anyway...

Greedy

These cops are fond of filling their bellies at restaurants where they get discounts, full ones in most cases. You'll see them at Whataburger or Church's a lot. You will OFTEN see them at Luby's or Golden Corral.

You see them at these places damn near every time you pass by. It's like, damn, shouldn't you be "fighting crime" instead of stuffing your face all the time?

Has a penchant for violence

I say it this way because, let's face it, all cops are violent. It's a part of their job, like boxers or prison guards. I say this because these cops RELISH this part of the job.

One of my relatives witnessed the police beating up someone they had pulled over. She got her camcorder and started taping it a la Rodney King. When one of the thugs in uniform saw her, he went up to her, pushed the camera into her face, then slapped her to the ground. She has a lawsuit against the department pending.

A handicapped man (partially paralyzed and brain damaged) was urinating outside at a store near someone's house. The person subsequently called the cops. Several people witnessed the cops pepper spray and tackle this handicapped man. Turns out that the cops actually beat the man while he was in jail.

People who have been arrested by these cops have told similar stories of being "touched up" in police custody. During traffic stops when they arrest people, they often are observed using excessive force. Wrist locks are one of their favorite moves.

Abusive

Goes hand in hand with their penchant for violence. They enjoy talking to you in a way that would piss THEM off if you did it to them. They are insulting, and some will hurl racial epithets at you.

They'll pull you over and search your car for no reason. This has happened to me and people I know. They'll tell you "I know you've got drugs, where are they" as they search your car, then you. They grab you all in your crotch in these searches, then get mad at YOU because you react to this.

They'll stop you for walking the wrong side on a street and search you. They'll pull you over for not having a light on your bike and search you. Hell, they'll search you for pretty much anything. Obviously, they abuse the law. Which ties with the next description...

Criminal

These cops engage in all kinds of criminal behavior.

Theft/Robbery

Yes, these cops are roguish. They like to steal from other criminals, I guess because it's easier for them to get away with.

In one case, they busted a drug dealer (and suspected snitch. This is because his mom is a known informant and he gets out of jail sooner than the average dealer would. According to the streets.) after pulling him over. The fact that this guy gave them information didn't prevent the police from stealing stuff from his car.

They actually reached in the car and snatched out his screen, Deebo-style. At the impound, they jacked his rims and tires. Stealing from a drug dealer, now that's gangsta.

Now this theft may actually benefit the victims. This refers to when they've busted someone with drugs. Often, if it's a personal amount, they'll tell you to give them the drugs or go to jail. I guess it's better to lose drugs than win jail time. Point is, they'll steal from you.

Vandalism

One of my friends was pulled over for running a stop sign. The cop said he was under the influence (he actually was high, so this was true), so he searched the car, then arrested him. He didn't tell him what he was arresting him for (typical with arrests by these cops) until he got to the station. They told him it was a DUI, but let him out 24 hours later on a PI.

Now, they had impounded his car, of course. When he went to get the car, he noticed damage done to the car. Of course, they denied beating up his car. I saw his car, and it was damaged. He showed me pictures of the car before this happened, and the car had only the minor damage he admitted was already there. Between the picture and the car, you could see it was beat up.

Soliciting prostitution

For some reason, these cops like tricking with crackheads and hookers in the hood areas of town.
Much like how they'll do people with weed they don't bust, they'll tell the women to "hook them up" if they don't want to go to jail. Pretty disgusting if you ask me.

Traffic law violations

One of the favorite pasttimes of these cops. They speed ALL the time. They run red lights and stop signs with impunity. They park in handicapped spaces. One ran a stop sign and nearly blindsided me. I had to stop to avoid him. Hell, I almost didn't keep going because I thought he might pull ME over and harass me.

Reeks of arrogance overlaps all of this

This is what the cops in this town are like. Corrupt. Violent. Criminals. I'm not sure how typical or atypical this is; I mean, not all PDs are this dirty, but many are even WORSE than this.

This is to show why many people do not trust the police. They have encountered cops like these or worse in their lives enough times to develop an aversion to the badge boys. Granted, some don't trust cops because it's the thing to do or what have you, but most people have valid reasons for these sentiments.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by truthseeka]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Pretty quiet in here. Hmmmm...

"Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gon' do..."

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
One of the things, among many, is the way they use intimidation to make you nervous and then accuse of lying when you make a simple mistake to a question they ask.

This happened to me not long ago. I was right outside my house about to use a pay phone when suddenly I was grabbed from behind by two cops.
They said I had put 'something in my pocket', I was like what? Yeah I put something in my pocket, my hands. I had nothing in my pocket.
I was a little nervous and they were firing question at me so fast, about how long I'd lived here and etc... I started getting dates and stuff confused.
Even though I had numerous picture ID's, I was lying. two hours at the station cuffed to a bench until the cops finally decided they couldn't get nothing on me and let me go.

It seems cops attitude is, everyone is a criminal that has either not committed a crime yet or hasn't been caught yet.

I've seen cops beat people up. I saw a cop strangle, by grabbing her wind pipe and squeezing hard, an African-American girl and screaming at her because he thought she had some POT. Freakin pot, yeah evil criminal...

The general population really overreacts in their attitude to wards people who break laws and think this kind of police brutality is fine. It's not. The courts are there to decide the punishment, not some fat donut head cop taking out his frustrations.

[edit on 26/4/2007 by ANOK]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Judging by your avatar, you know about the plans for the super police state. This is just making things worse. To some extent, cops have been pressured to clean up their act, due to persistent racist tactics. With the American police state, they can now say screw that and crack whoever's head they feel like, regardless of race. Alas, it's still more fun for them to crack black and brown heads...

But yeah, that sounds about right. Grabbing you out of nowhere, labeling you guilty until proven innocent, harassing you as long as they can. Then, choking a girl because she had weed.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the cops I spoke of will plant drugs on you. They're not as notorious as Dallas cops are for this (who will put a bag of washing powder or powdered sugar in your car and arrest you for coc aine possession), but it happens.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
You know.
Sometime between 15 and 25 years ago ( I won't say exactly when), my brother and I were watching a hockey game on the tube.

When out of nowhere, our front door burst open, and Five or six men, dressed in black masks, and jackets, burst into the house. Shotguns, pistols, all aimed at Both of us.
It took a few moments, but they finally identified themselves as police (the local drug unit).

The next thing I know, I am forced on the floor, shotgun at the back of my head. I was then cuffed. I'm assuming my brother got the same treatment, I couldn't see. So I lay there, while the cops go through everything upstairs, downstairs, tearing crap up, throwing stuff on the floor. (did I mention the huge dent in the front door from the battering ram they used?).

But I kept hearing "is this the right house?" "did we get the right house?" coming from upstairs.
I was wondering the same thing.

But then, they showed me the warrant.
It was the right address on the warrant. But the facts were a little, ummm, shall we say.....skewed.

Apparently My brother and I were running a major pot dealership out of the house..Wrong! There was nothing in the house, nothing. And the guys upstairs knew it.

However. We had just moved there, and my brother had no bank account yet. So he had his whole last paycheck, in cash, in his dresser.
The cops "took" it as evidence. great!

Finally the guys upstairs come down with a letter, with my name on it, which proved I lived there. LOL...And my brother's cash..a few hundred dollars.

remember, at this point thats all they had
a search warrant, with anonymous testimony, saying we were drug dealers.
A letter with my name on it, and all that cash.
None of which proves anything.

Good for them eh?

Then something interesting happened.
I am now sitting up, in a chair, still cuffed. And I see one of the cops lowering his head, looking under our coffee table. He walkes over, reaches under the table, and pulls out a "pipe". There was a pipe under my coffee table.
My brother and I looked at each other, he raised his eyebrows, as if to say "is that yours?"..I shook my head, then he shook his.
Neither of us had seen it before

This was the cops saving face...no ifs, and, or butts about it.
NOW, it was almost the right house. So they wrote us both a ticket for misdemeanor possession.

Then they left. I was pissed..really pissed.

The next day, a friend of my brothers, comes to the door and says, I heard you got busted last night. hmmm. How would he know? My bro didn't tell him,
I wouldn't tell him..But I figured it out.

I knew who told him, and who lied to the cops on the warrant.
It was this OTHER "aquaintence" of my brothers. Turns out he was facing some BIG jailtime for some real drug related crimes..And he was ratting out the world. Including some so-called friends. He was making stuff up.

He Had been to our house not 3 days earlier. And it was either him, or the cops, who put that pipe under my coffee table.

We met with the arresting Sgt. about 2 days later..And he offered us a deal.
A deal? for a misdemeanor?

He said he would keep our names out of the local paper, if we would wear a wire, and make some "buys".. LOL...I kid you not, he thought I was THAT stupid!

SO I said YES, knowing that the paper came out in two days, and was a weekly paper. The newspaper doesn't care about last weeks "crime beat".
So once the paper came out, I called him and said, no, I won't do it.

He got pissed, but there wasn't much he could do.
I asked him if they regularly took the word of people who were facing big time, without researching it first, because they would say anything to get less time.
He said yes. Thats all, just yes.
Legalized thuggery.

jerk.

There is a lighter side to this.

A few months later.

A relative of mine..Beat the crap out of this Sgt. Legally. Yes, I said legally.
They were both in the same Karate class. Both Brown belts at the time.
My relative won the match, and put a little hurtin' on this particular policeman's ribs. No major injuries..Just a little Karma.

Thats my story..
I must add, that most of my other dealings with the police were at a much more civilized level. Usually because I wasn't the "suspect" LOL...

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Truthseeka you got it bro. The police have way too much power imo.

Great story Spacedoubt, wow never had a cop pull a gun on me, but then again I've been pretty well behaved since I moved to the states hehe. When I was a young 'ooligan in the UK, now that's a different story...lol

One thing I learned very early on was how much cops know about you, at least in the UK. I used to have a different last name, long story but it wasn't 'official'. I used this name, or my parents did, until I was 11 when I was told what my real name was and starting using it.
Anyway I was 17 or so the first time I got arrested, first time having any contact with the thugs in blue. They were booking me in, and the desk sergeant said 'You used to go under the name blah blah blah didn't you?'

In a town of 60,000 people, how the hell did he know that? Off the top of his head? No computers back then. I was 11 when I stopped using the name. The only place that it was used was junior school for 4 yrs, before that I lived on the other side of the country.

I've never been able to figure that one...

Also one time, a few yrs later I was hitch hiking back to my old town, I'd moved away by this time. I was only a few miles away when a woman picked me up, which is unusual.
We got chatting and she was asking me the usual, where was I coming from, where was I going. Anyway eventually she told me she was a cop, who used to work in my old town, but now worked in another nearby. She admitted she new me. She new my name, where I used to live, and that's why she picked me up. I didn't know her whatsoever, I didn't even remember ever dealing with a female cop. They weren't that common where I lived then. It had been at least 5 yrs since I had any contact with cops in my old town. Couldn't figure that one out either.

Do cops have freakin' photographic memories or something? Imagine what they know about people now, with computers and the cameras they have all over the place. Kinda scary if you ask me, and I'm not paranoid, I know were being watched.

[edit on 27/4/2007 by ANOK]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 04:07 AM
link   
While I make no claim as to the commonality of problems of any kind with police, simply because I can count the cops I've had to deal with on any serious level in my life on my fingers and toes, I can say that you are not alone Spacedoubt.

Nothing seriously resembling "due process" necessarily takes place when citizens are deprived of property these days. Will Life and Liberty be the next items subject to forfeiture under suspcious circumstances? Stranger things have happened I suppose.

From my second link:

But under civil law, it is the property itself--not the owner--that is charged with involvement in a crime. What's more, that property is considered "guilty" until proven innocent in court by its owner, thus turning our usual system of justice on its head.

According to a report prepared for the Senate Judiciary Committee, at least 90 percent of the property that the federal government seeks to forfeit is pursued through civil asset forfeiture. And although forfeiture is intended as punishment for illegal activity, over 80% of the people whose property is seized under civil law are never even charged with a crime according to one study of over 500 federal cases by the Pittsburgh Press.

That's not even to mention the conflict of interest, considering that police departments often keep for their own use the majority of any seizures they make. Forfeitures have skyrocketed since that corrupting influence was introduced.

I will speak regarding the 20 or so cops I've had to deal with in my lifetime too.
The first attempted to rape my mom when I was in 5th grade. My mom clocked him, but good, then went to the paper. The police department threatened to release a police report pertaining to an unnamed but embarrassing sexual incident that she was somehow involved in when she was a teenager (nobody ever explained what that was about to me) unless she dropped her lawsuit and stopped speaking to the paper. They then gave the offender a letter of recomendation and sent him to a city 30 miles down the highway, and that department built him into a community hero by assigning him various PR gigs, such as delivering a turkey to the homeless shelter on Thanksgiving, etc... I see him heralded by the paper as a pillar of the community on a regular basis. Meanwhile, we left town because at that time my mom began to notice unmarked cars following her on a daily basis, and then one night a shotgun wielding neighbor chased a masked stranger away from my mom's bedroom window one night, probably saving our butts. A little research on my mom's part at the time revealed a history of people having unfortunate accidents after crossing that department.

In 2005 the same police department responded to the sudden death of my grandfather. He was found lying dead in his garage just 20 minutes after returning home from vacation. His wedding ring and anniversary ring were missing, as was his cellular phone, which had been snatched off of his belt, leaving the mangled remains of the belt clip beside him. He was bleeding from his face and lying on his back, but both of his knees were bloody and there were blood spots that indicated he had crawled briefly.
The police didn't report any suspicion of a crime and the deputy coroner released the body without attending the scene, based on the word of the officers. A few days later we discovered that the missing cellular phone was still in use... in Mexico, and we took the police a list of phone numbers that were dialed (along with 3 names and addresses in town and 3 more out of town that we had tracked down ourselves). They ignored us. Then the police said the rings we had reported missing may have been reported by a pawn shop. They missed their appointment with us to allow ID of the rings. They later explained that they knew it was a bad lead because the rings were pawned by a "respected member of the community" who they refused to name, and they were not going to investigate that either. We went to the local news about it. After we had shot our interviews the reporter stopped calling us. We called the station and discovered she had been fired and that our story was not going to be aired. We've been fighting with the department and the coroner for nearly two years now, but to this day the official story remains that my grandfather had a heart attack and fell down dead on his back, mysteriously battering his face, breaking his dentures, losing his rings and cellphone, messing up his knees, making bloody knee prints, and getting a fist-sized bruise in the small of his back in the process. (oh, my dying grandfather also took of his glasses and placed them inside his truck... i've only ever seen him take them off to fight and to sleep. Whats more, he apparently moved, plugged in, and turned on a fan to cool himself... a strange use of energy he could have used to get back to the house or honk the horn of his truck to summon help)... if the particular cops I dealt with aren't protecting someone, then apparently they couldn't find their butt with both hands.

Another from the same department, who I didn't know personally, got busted for having sexual relationships with highschool students while he was assigned as a campus resource officer.

The one from the department who was supposed to be organizing a neighborhood watch in my grandmother's neighborhood subtly threatened her at a meeting. He kept steering the meeting towards yard upkeep, as if the neighborhood watch was a Home Owners Association designed to boost his property value. My grandmother pointed out that since homeless people under the influence of narcotics had accidentally set fire to the abandoned nursing home across the street several times, there had been two drug busts right next door to her home, 3 separate shootings, and the murder of her husband in his own garage all within the past year, that it might be more important to talk about surveillance and police response times.
His response? "you don't want to go there ma'am, do you understand?"

and the list goes on.

Yeah, I can see why some people have trouble with the police, but I wouldn't generalize it. There have in fact been just a couple of times when I was glad to see 'em coming... few and far between as those times may have been.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I'll be going against the flow of the conversation here but...

To take incidents, however bad, and they are, no mistake; such as these and then generalize that all police officers are like this is a mistake. Most, notice I did say most, are people trying to do a job to the best of their ability. I've had encounters with cops in love with their power and who abused it...I haven't let it color my views. I'll still call 'em when I need 'em, and expect them to do their jobs.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Very true.
Generalizations, and stereotyping are common.

The police have somewhat of an advantage, in the "everyone makes mistakes" department however. Who polices the police?

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
As with all gov't. entities who bear watching...supposedly that's our job as citizens, no? My own encounters, the bad ones, ended with at least one of the cops losing his job. I've no idea how the other two ended. Where this sort of thing is concerned, I've very little backdown in my make-up.

Watching the watchers and acting is our duty as citizens. Bad cops need to be weeded out, and I'll be the first to admit that some, note the word some, cops and associated lawyers (DA's) cannot be trusted to do so. Most cities have groups whose sole purpose is to watch the watchers.

An additional thought: If we aren't willing to hold our gov't. entities, at whatever level, accountable, we get the gov't. we deserve, no? It's all very well and good to complain in a forum such as this, not to mention fun, but actions in the real world are neccessary, too. Words backed by action, otherwise abuses will continue. Draw the line in the sand, then back the words with action.

[edit on 27-4-2007 by seagull]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Oh, yes.
It is the duty of the average citizen to keep an eye out for governmental wrong doing. After all. The Government works FOR us. (at least, thats what we're told)

But our DA usually runs unopposed.

We have an Ol' boys network around here.
Those are hard to crack.
And they definitely look out for their own.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
That is unfortunately true. Good ole boys network...gov't. dark secret, especially local. I've run head long into on a number of occaisions, that's one reason I'm persona non grata with the local democratic aparatchik. I've a nasty habit of not toeing the line.

I quite understand...but there are ways around them, but its tough to do.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
I'll be going against the flow of the conversation here but...

To take incidents, however bad, and they are, no mistake; such as these and then generalize that all police officers are like this is a mistake. Most, notice I did say most, are people trying to do a job to the best of their ability. I've had encounters with cops in love with their power and who abused it...I haven't let it color my views. I'll still call 'em when I need 'em, and expect them to do their jobs.

Well, think about it this way...

What if MOST of the cops you encountered, saw in action, or heard about were crooked. By "most," you would assume that more cops are crooked than good. This doesn't mean all, because you have encountered good ones (in the context of traffic stops, let's say), but, as most you have met were crooked, the chances of the next cop being crooked is greater than being good.

IF this had happened to you, would you still consider most cops to be good cops?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
So what do you want? No police in America?

Would you rather have police make mistakes sometimes, or have murderers, drug lords and criminals running around free with no one after them? I think they do plenty more good than bad.

What do you think? Do they do more good than bad? Help more than make mistakes? I think they help out more. But thats just me, a white person.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I can't speak for anyone else.
But, for myself, I'd like to see a change in how the police are investigated for wrongdoings. They are human, they make mistakes. But many times, the only thing that happens, is an "internal investigation". They investigate themselves!

Wrongdoing within the police force should be investigated by outside agencies.
Sometimes that happens, but not nearly enough.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I would like to share with you a portion of a letter that I just recieved, addressed to my grandfather, who, as I mentioned earlier, was murdered in July of 2005, and whose case was badly mishandled by the Indio Police Department.

The letter reads

Dear Troy _______,
This letter today is to thank YOU for your continued and generous support. It is because of you that we are able to serve THIS community in a positive and charitable way! The Indio Police Officer's Association is asking you to help our community efforts by donating to this worthy outreach program....

further down it says

Troy_____, as President of the Indio Police Officer's association, it is my duty and obligation to develop community relations...

Some relationship. He's been dead for almost two years, and this department was the subject of a scathing investigative report about their failure to handle the case... and they don't know he's dead!

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
So what do you want? No police in America?

Would you rather have police make mistakes sometimes, or have murderers, drug lords and criminals running around free with no one after them? I think they do plenty more good than bad.

What do you think? Do they do more good than bad? Help more than make mistakes? I think they help out more. But thats just me, a white person.

Spacedoubt hit it on the head.

I'd go further and say that, once police ARE determined to have screwed up, they should be soundly punished. I'm so sick and tired of seeing the same old headline, "police kill person (usually black male), shooting determined to be justified" when the person is unarmed. Outside agencies should investigate them, and those found to be dirty should be thrown to the lions in prison.

I posted an article here about police getting away with beating their wives, even when the wives reported them. Why are they above the law? Anyone else beats their wife, and they're locked up, but cops can do it and get promoted.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
truthseeka,

We disagree on this and I'm not really prepared to beat this same dead horse again. But I do want to ask this one question, and I'll leave it at that.

"If it is inappropriate for me to judge you on the color of your skin, why is it appropriate for you to judge these individuals solely on their profession?"

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
truthseeka,

We disagree on this and I'm not really prepared to beat this same dead horse again. But I do want to ask this one question, and I'll leave it at that.

"If it is inappropriate for me to judge you on the color of your skin, why is it appropriate for you to judge these individuals solely on their profession?"

It all boils down to this: actions vs. words.

As I've said before, personal racism is not as much of a problem as institutional racism (not saying personal racism is not bad). Like I said, I'd be fine with personal racism if institutional racism was totally eradicated; it's easier to change the system than people's minds IMO. But, when you have both, they compound into a bigger racism issue.

What's the point? You calling me a 'n-word' (just an example) is not NEARLY as bad as cops beating my ass when I've done nothing wrong. Moreover, I don't know you personally, and will likely never meet you in person. However, I have and will continue to encounter cops. And, when previous experiences with cops have been bad, why should I NOT be apprehensive about future experiences with cops?

Judging people can be problematic, yes. But, if your judgement might save you from harassment, legal/financial troubles, assault, or death, what's wrong with being judgemental? I'm not special compared to black males that have been hurt or killed by police; I'm a regular dude. Who's to say I won't end up dead, with my killers getting away scot-free with my murder because of their profession?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
But, when you have both, they compound into a bigger racism issue.

I agree. As I've said previously, I do believe that "White Privilege" does exist. Institutional Racism is something that I failed to acknowledge for a very long time, and attempted to deny for a short period. But I do acknowledge it, and I do empathize with those that need to overcome these extra hurdles which go unseen by most.

What's the point? You calling me a --nword-- (just an example) is not NEARLY as bad as cops beating my ass when I've done nothing wrong.

While I tend to agree with you, I believe some would say that they are both equal, or maybe that words can speak louder than actions at times. I believe that this is your opinion, and it should not be seen as a widespread notion. I've been beaten before, not very often because I've rarely fought in my day, but I know that words tend to hurt me more than fists ever could. So maybe for some, the personal racism is much worse than institutional racism.

Not that it changes anything, because I think both are despicable and both need to be eradicated. But the Utopian society that some of us crave may be nothing more than a figment of our imagination.

Moreover, I don't know you personally, and will likely never meet you in person.

I don't think that should make a difference. A person is a person, is a person. The actions and words of a complete stranger can hurt just as much as a loved one. That is my opinion, so others may disagree.

However, I have and will continue to encounter cops. And, when previous experiences with cops have been bad, why should I NOT be apprehensive about future experiences with cops?

Who is to say that this is a form of institutional racism though? The racial tendencies of an individual cop is hardly an indication of a prejudice existing within the system. Who is to say that his partner, superior officer, etc., wouldn't be appalled by their actions?

If a cop did act inappropriate, does it get reported? If not, how can we expect to see results if nobody is going to step up and hold them accountable?

I'm not saying it isn't institutional racism, but I think it's worth looking twice at and considering if it is merely personal racism.

Judging people can be problematic, yes. But, if your judgement might save you from harassment, legal/financial troubles, assault, or death, what's wrong with being judgemental?

I respect that. If a dog bites attacks you as a child, you'll carry a fear of them for life. That fear is a prejudgment. So if you've had bad experiences with cops, it is only human nature to feel ill of them.

I'm not special compared to black males that have been hurt or killed by police; I'm a regular dude. Who's to say I won't end up dead, with my killers getting away scot-free with my murder because of their profession?

It's apparent that you don't like cops. For that matter, most authority figures. However, I think it is important that you understand that not all cops/authority are bigots, racists, etc. Some are, that is a mathematical guarantee. There is nothing we can do about that. It sucks, but that is the society we inhabit. But if a cop acts inappropriate towards a black man, because he is a black man, it is the responsibility of the victim to step up and hold him accountable.

Individuals who are the victim, but fail to act and hold the offender accountable, they are a part of the problem as well.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join