It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Space Race: Asia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Upstart China challenges the United States by blasting a satellite out of orbit. North Korea lobs a missile over Japan, prompting Tokyo to initiate a multibillion dollar spy satellite program. India is readying a lunar mission, while rival Pakistan makes headlines with a new, improved warhead.

The most heated space race since the Cold War is under way in Asia, where countries are concluding that a space program is no longer just an expensive status symbol but a matter of national security.
And they are scrambling to keep abreast.

China, the only Asian country to put its own astronauts into orbit, is far ahead. But India, South Korea, Malaysia and Taiwan all have satellites in orbit. North Korea claims to have sent one up with its 1998 ballistic missile launch and to have used it to broadcast messages from its leader, Kim Jong Il, though that claim has never been substantiated.

Japan is closest to keeping pace with China.
After a decade of work, Tokyo in February completed a network of four spy satellites that can monitor any spot on the globe, every day.

SOURCE:
PhysOrg.com

This is not very surprising really, as we enter the age where both space
becomes more important, and the technology to get there makes it
cheaper, safer and more efficient, this was bound to occur.
It's not really surprising that it is happening in Asia either, as it is really
the only one of the three blocs that this would occur in has enough money
to pull it off.

Comments, Opinions?

[edit on 4/14/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I think it's a good thing that more countries are able to get involved in space exploration, altough they're still decades behind the US..

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Apparently everyone’s in rush to get to the moon to get at the Helium 3.

First to get their hands on a cost effective source of the stuff will be well on the way to some seriously star treck thchno (useable fusion reactors, Cryogenics) sweet.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   
With the end of the space shuttle program approaching in 2010 I'm interested in seeing how a possible "Space Race" will play in with how fast the United States will start using the new CEV program.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
I think it's a good thing that more countries are able to get involved in space exploration, altough they're still decades behind the US..

The European Space Agency is at the same level as NASA, but i agree that it is good that other nations are starting Space Programs, it might be very healthy to have another space race

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I absolutly agree Ozvulcan, I think a space race with many nations involved is very healthy.

I would love to see every nation interested in space exploration work together to achieve one common goal. More could get accomplished if that was the case

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 05:21 AM
link   

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I have a feeling that when Nasa returns to the moon their jaws may drop as the Russians go cruising past on their way to mars waving out the windows and tooting their air horns. That would definately be interesting.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuncanIdahoGholem
I have a feeling that when Nasa returns to the moon their jaws may drop as the Russians go cruising past on their way to mars waving out the windows and tooting their air horns. That would definately be interesting.

india launches satellite...

are you sure?

i understand they cant even feed themselves and have no clean water...

without clean water it would be impossible to launch a rocket.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by esecallum
i understand they cant even feed themselves and have no clean water...
without clean water it would be impossible to launch a rocket.

Well to put it quite simply.. you understand wrong!

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I think a new space race would be great. It would make the US and all other countries have to develop new technology. Just think about how much we advanced in trying to beat Russia to the moon. Now think about how much our technology (space shuttle and other space related stuff) has advanced since then. Not much. I would like to see where we could go.

posted on May, 10 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   

If the Chinese are having trouble sending rockets there is no way the Indians are going to launch anyone into space or even get near the moon anytime soon in this half of the century they are still a developing nation, and after all space travel is glorious example of prosperity, the Indians arn't very prosperous at the moment.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ozvulcan

If the Chinese are having trouble sending rockets there is no way the Indians are going to launch anyone into space or even get near the moon anytime soon in this half of the century they are still a developing nation, and after all space travel is glorious example of prosperity, the Indians arn't very prosperous at the moment.

I don't see the chinese having much rocket trouble..

what you talking about?

Manned missions are an entire new chapter but they're not something unachievable by developing nations..

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Ozvulcan, type Indian Space program into Google. India is nowhere near as poor as you have been led to believe. The have massive gains in IT, Space Research, Medical Science, Engineering etc since the 80's. They will have a man in orbit very soon.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Excellent news
The more Nations in space the CHEAPER the flights will be...yes pls

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
It doesn't matter if the Indians have growning investment in thier country the majorty of their population still lives in poverty and they still have epidemics of dieseases such as Leprosy, which they don't think they can eradicate until around 2050!
Not to mention they are still a developing nation, they should focus in improving the standard of living in their country before trying to rush into a space program they simply cannot afford it at the moment.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   

It doesn't matter if the Indians have growning investment in thier country the majorty of their population still lives in poverty and they still have epidemics of dieseases such as Leprosy, which they don't think they can eradicate until around 2050!
Not to mention they are still a developing nation, they should focus in improving the standard of living in their country before trying to rush into a space program they simply cannot afford it at the moment.

While you're at it, google for 'Indian Economy' as well..
They can afford the program alright..

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here here deadster, I think you'll find ozvulcan that India is definatelay a place worth keeping an eye on. By the way, are you a British colonialist from early 1900?

Anyone reading this post please notice the use of the phrases "blah blah blah my friend", "
",
and LOLhave not been used yet in this thread. This is a very good thing. Thanx
Sorry
Daedalus3 for mispelling your name, it's my dixleksia.
[edit on 11-5-2007 by DuncanIdahoGholem]

[edit on 11-5-2007 by DuncanIdahoGholem]

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I think its great more nations are joining the new space race, it puts pressure on NASA to get their butts into gear and get going! I would hope after this race is over that all the nations will join forces to finally get out and about!

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   

you are so so right

we should stop them from wasting OUR money on these foolish schemes....

a ban should be imposed on any rocket components and an embargo done..
all aid should be stopped...

i mean these people are stealing the bread from our mouths and also there unreliable poorly made rockets could crash on to American cities and put at risk american lives...

a rocket falling on America could unleash a lebrosy plague as well as malaria cholera and dengue fever as the bacteia coating the plane could come of a indians hands onto the rocket..

we should sent a aircraft carrier to attack the rocket launchers which can also be used to launch missiles at the U.S.A.

we could use fire and forget missiles...

you fire them and then you forget them.

they have smart computers to guide them to the rocket launchers

they indians are allies of russia and we must guard against this treat of rockets attacks by india...

i mean with all the lawlessness and chaos in india they could fire rockets at America...if insurgents take over..

a threat to Western civilisation...

must be stopped....

i am very scared of a rocket hitting the city where i live in helena in montana ,U.S.A.

[edit on 14-5-2007 by esecallum]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join