It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My beautiful little bird is very sick.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   
My beautiful little bird is very sick. “Twetty” He was fine to morning. Swinging on his swing. Then tonight starting around 10pm he was on the bottom of his cage, turning circles. Like he couldn’t walk or fly or nothing.

I picked him up and held him close to me. Then I laid down with him on my chest. He wanted to be held. When I tried to put him in his cage he climbed back on me. He didn’t want to go into the cage. So I held him for like 4 hours. Then I made the bottom of his cage more comfortable than normal. Put his food and water down there with him.

I’m taking him to the vet at 7am as soon as they open.

My kids was upset. My youngest one was crying. I guess I cried some too. I hope he’ll be ok.

[edit on 13-4-2007 by asala]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Oh, I hope he turns out OK.

Looks like a very cute bird.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   
He's seems to be trying so hard. He's a fighter. I have him in my room tonight. I put his food on bottom with him. I hear him eating every now and then.

I know he's trying to survive. He's young only around 2 or 3 years old.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Is it twetty or tweety?
MY first bird ws a Parakeet named tweety.

Hope he's ok Shar.

Hang in there lil budgie!

Shar,
I was just reading up a little, and I came across this:

I have a parakeet named Jade. He is the sweetest bird! Last month we almost lost him to a thyroid condition. His thyroid became so enlarged that he had difficulty breathing and swallowing. He was listless, wobbly, shivering, and ruffled. He kept acting like he was trying to clear something from his throat. We were very concerned, and did not want this fabulous little guy to die, so I took him to an avian vet. I learned there that birds that eat strictly a seed diet need an iodine supplement. If they don’t get enough iodine, the thyroid becomes enlarged within a year of their 3rd birthday, and they will die! We started him on an iodine supplement, which I had to feed him with a syringe several times a day. It took 2 weeks for him to get back to normal. He is now completely better! Avian vets rock!

From this page Animal-world pets

What struck me was the age. About the same as yours.
Any of the other symptoms similar? Or is he on an all seed diet?

[edit on 13-4-2007 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
aww thats so sad, I love my pets so i can imagine what you are feeling right now,

I hope that he gets well real quick,

Please keep us updated on him, My thoughts will be with Tweety,

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Hi Shar, I hope your Budgie pulls through... I am sure your love is keeping Tweety alive.

I have a nice little story to share with you and hopefully it will be the same for you. I had a Budgie called "Bluey", well, he developed a big fatty growth under his wing and he was struggling with it. I took him to the vet and the vet said "he only had a week to live".... so I took him home and told my Mum... (umbilical chord is never really broken...amazing to see how fast I run home when I am upset crying Mummy!)
Anyway, my Mum took "Bluey" and said she would do * Reiki on him. Of course I was like.... *BS but at that point, I said, hey its cheaper.. *cheep
than the vet and it is the only hope at that point. Well, after the reiki and some green thistle, 10 years later Bluey died peacefully at the bottom of the cage.

I hope everything goes well for you and Tweety...
hugs

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Look at those pics! Awwww!

What a pretty little bird.

If you can...try to get Tweety up to the vet a.s.a.p. It may be something or mabey nothing at all.

Belay your fears and get the poor fellow looked at.

I had budgies for pets in the past few years. Every single one of them had little personalities all on their own.

2-3 years of a budgies life is very young, I agree. They usually live a lot longer; closer to 10 yrs. or more pending on the birds health and the owners care-taking.

I see Tweety's owner loves him very much - You've shown us that.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Shar,

I was in the cat room the other day, and I believe it was Niteboy82 (?) that said something about not using non stick pans in the house if you have birds. Apparently the non stick pans release gases that can harm the birds. Just a thought, do you use that kind of pans? I hope your bird is okay, you want a chicken?

Jen

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for you kind words of support.

Twetty or Tweety pronounce the same way. Just wanted a different spelling for my little guy.

Hey Jen, how is your chickens? Did you ever let her have a chick? How did that go?

Anyways, the vet has said he’s bleeding in his stomach. So he took some samples to see why. To see if it was a tumor or something. So when he came back he said he believes he has cancer in his stomach. He has infection from this tumor and he put him on medicine. I’m to keep him as warm as possible. He wants to see him in 5 days. But said he don’t expect my bird to live that long. Ok, I’m officially sad right now.

I told my husband to go ahead and pick him up his coffin. A tiny Tupperware type of thing that will fit his body. So we will be ready.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Oh Shar, so sorry to hear your birds not doing very well.

I had one just like that about 10 years ago, it was the only bird I've ever had, and it was amazing. We had an atrium on the back of the house that he loved to spend his days in, and even with my cats, he was smart enough to stay out of their reach.

My thoughts are with you, I hope it makes a speedy recovery.

And what was said about non-stick pans, it's true.
A new frying pan used on high heat will release a gas that can harm your feathered friend.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I quit using those kinds of pans years ago. Before, I got my birds. I only use the silver kinds and spary the bottom with Pam cooking oil.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
If my little bird is only a few years old how could he be this sick? My blue bird Cassie isn't this sick. He's older, by at least 4 years.

Twetty, is sitting on the bottom of the cage been there all day. I put a towel down there and food and water. I put his bird cover on the outside. A heating pad under the cage but not touching it so to bring warmth up to him like the doctor said.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I'm sorry to hear about your little bird. I hope it's doing better.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
How's Twetty doing today Shar ?

I hope things are going well.

anx...

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
www.hort.iastate.edu...

Hi Shar, this is a pic of the dandelion/thistle weed by Mum feed to my budgie. It is considered a weed but it is rich in medinical properties for birds. It has a yellow flower and hopefully that pic might help you to identify it if you see it. We have heaps growing here...

Not sure if you can just walk outside and find it like we can here.

all the best and hope Tweety is getting better

Nat

I just had a look for some more info and found this:
www.cancer.org...

Conisidering the vet said my budgie only had a week to live and there was nothing that could be done, the thistle must have done something as he ended up living for another ten years.

[edit on 14-4-2007 by NJE777]

[edit on 14-4-2007 by NJE777]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Hey Lonewolf, Anxiety disorder, Nje777,

Thanks for caring and replying to me.

Twetty is eating more or it seems to me. He still sits on the bottom of his cage alot.

His medicine is twice a day. The vet said it's for an infection possibly from his tumor. I hope he will make it.

I am changing his food and water and the bottom of his cage everyday instead of every other day. Right now he sleeps then eats a little then sleeps. Sometimes he falls asleep while eating its sad.

I have him beside me so I can keep an eye on him.

He's a strong little bird trying so hard.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Hopefully the vet can determine what's wrong with it

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your beautiful bird. I hope it gets better. If you end up geting another one may I not recommend a cockatiel. You can hear that rascal sqalking a half a mile away, no joke. I bird sat one one time and that sucker would go off in the middle of the night for no reason. I must have nearly hit the cieling. You'd think the whole world had come to an end. And if you ever get on his bad side he will remember it when you get him out of his cage. He will bite you to the bone. LOL, anyway hopeflully you won't need another bird.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Thanks laiguana, Voyager1,

I'm surprised he's made it this long. Maybe the medicine is helping. I don't know. He's lost so much weight. Even though he eats what seems like alot to me. He eats and sleeps. But thats ok I know he needs his rest. I hope he gets better really soon.

Cockatiel are beautiful birds. Maybe one day when I stop traveling I may get one. Yeah, birds can get noisy. Cute though.

I love to hear birds sing. I use to feed all kinds of wild birds. Humming birds, woodpeckers, robins, blue jays. It's nice to see them. Then the squirrels starting coming around so I bought seed for them. That was awesome to see the squirrels come up and eat also.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
My Mum has a cockatiel and they can live up to 100 years so she has already told me that if & when she passes on, she has left it to me!!!!

I said, thanks very much! lol ... what about my Bro? He would love a cocky!! Why me???

I have enough animals as it is...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join