It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archeologists Search for Rob Roy's Home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I am not sure if this is the right forum, so MODS, feel free to move this if necessary, I just found this and wanted to share with the members.

An archeological dig in Scottland has found some glass objects dating to the 18th century and their hope is too find definitive evidence to link the home to that mysterious character Rob Roy.

Teams search for Rob Roy's house

Archaeologists have been excavating the site of a house on the slopes of Ben Lomond which may have belonged to Scottish folk hero Rob Roy MacGregor.
The site, near Rowardennon on the banks of Loch Lomond, contains the outline of a building but no ruins.

A group of archaeologists from the National Trust for Scotland and a team of volunteers hope to uncover evidence to prove the site belonged to Rob Roy.

Roy is an interesting story and details of his life are few and far between, here are some other links for a backdrop on the story of Rob Roy.

Historic letter under the hammer

In his early life as a cattle trader, Rob Roy borrowed money from the Duke of Montrose to help with his business affairs, but he absconded in 1712 after running up arrears of £30,000 and was brought to trial.

Robert Roy MacGregor - WIKI

scotshistoryonline.co.uk

Speaking of Rob Roy.........

I need to quench a thirst..

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Pretty cool stuff.

I have always enjoyed reading about Rob Roy and enjoyed the movie as well.

Interesting that he had always signed "Rob Campbell", but in this letter he signed " Rob Roy". ( I'm hoping forgery is not a possibility ).

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Interesting stuff! I had never read up on Rob Roy... please DO share any reliable links on him!

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This is my first time i hear about Rob Roy, thanks to you JacKatMtn.
I vote and flag you

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Thanks for the kind words, I never knew about this Scottish historical figure myself, I am still reading up on him and his "Children of the Mist" clan, I found a couple more links for you to check out:

This one has quite a few links within that I haven't had the chance to read yet:
Rob Roy on the Web

This is another historical piece:

Famous Scots
- Rob Roy MacGregor (1671-1734)

"Children of the Mist"
The first Gregor in Scotland was said to have been a son of King Kenneth MacAlpin in the 8th century and the clan motto, in Gaelic, means "My race is royal". The clan MacGregor is reputed to be one of the oldest in Scotland and became established in Argyll and Perthshire, in Glenorchy, Glenstrae and Glenlochy - the clan probably built the original Kilchurn Castle at the Pass of Brander near Glenstrae. But Robert the Bruce granted a substantial part of the MacGregor lands to his close friend and supporter Neil Campbell. Over the centuries, the expansionist Campbells and the MacGregors were in frequent conflict and as the Campbell's very often had the ear of the monarch, the MacGregors were often the losers. Over the years, the MacGregors gradually lost title to their lands and became tenants of the more powerful Campbells.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
"children of the mist"??

That sounds neat! Time for an armchair Research Tour (as soon as I finish this homework, unless some kind soul goes to find some links for me.)

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I thought Rob Roy was a drink?

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
As a scotsman,im proud to see that some effort is being made into Scotlands lamentable history.

For those interested in finding more about such things,try searching for Scotlands highland clearances.The near genocide of a people and the destruction of a language and culture at the hands of their own"Lairds",backed by the gold of the English.(i believe its covered very well in book titled "Highland Clearances" by John Pebbles.)

You might get an idea of what Rob Roy(may the gods rest his soul),and many MANY others had to do to survive.

[edit on 14-4-2007 by Cygnus_Hunter]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cygnus_Hunter
As a scotsman,im proud to see that some effort is being made into Scotlands lamentable history.

I would like to hear (from a Scotsman), is Rob Roy's history common knowledge among Scots? If so please share your stories with us.

I, for one, am interested and would love a point of view from a native Scotsman.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Ah well,since i havent put a foot on my native soil since 1992,i can't definatively
say one way or another if it is as ingrained as it was in my day.

But i can say that growing up around my extended family we were aware of the old stories and some of the old histories(even though the passage of time may have jaded the bias of them,the core information stayed true).

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Just wanted to add on my post on the higland clearances. John Prebble the author of the afore said book,was known to "romantise" certain aspects of his work,but generally the stories he puts forth have more than a grain of truth to them.There are other more definitive sources for research on this topic.

An other good piece of scottish history that helps set the theme to research, is the "massacre at glencoe"(nothing to do with Rob Roy),but shows you how nasty things got there between the Scots themselves.

And to Byrd,i always enjoy reading your posts and your view,keep it up!

new topics

top topics

join